or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store

Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store

post #1 of 109
Apple on Thursday updated its online storefront to give newly-official subsidiary Beats by Dr. Dre its own section under the store's "Accessories" category, days after shuttering Beats's own internet shop.

The new section offers Beats's entire hardware product line, including headphones and portable speakers. Also up for grabs are accessories like protective sleeves and the "Pill Dude" personified speaker stands for the Beats Pill.

While Apple already sold most Beats product even before acquiring the company, they were previously lumped into the generic "Headphones" and "Speakers" sections.

Apple rarely re-arranges its online store, though more shakeups are expected under new retail chief Angela Ahrendts. The last major alteration came in January, when the Apple TV gained its own shopping category alongside the Mac, iPad, iPhone, and iPod.

Thursday's change comes some six days after Apple officially closed the $3 billion acquisition. At that time, Beats closed its online store and began referring potential customers to Apple's outlet.
post #2 of 109

Sweet!

loving it

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #3 of 109

You could say that they have their own Beat on Apple's Store.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #4 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sweet!
loving it
Steve is turning over in his grave seeing those pills accessories. 1embarassed.gif
post #5 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve is turning over in his grave seeing those pills accessories. 1embarassed.gif

They're at least pretty amusing to look at. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #6 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

Sweet!
loving it

He should be turning over in his grave seeing entire sections of Apple accessories rated at 1.5 out of 5 stars on their own website due to terrible build quality with mostly lightening cables and laptop power supplies.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #7 of 109

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #8 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves.

That makes no sense. People buy Beats because of Dr. Dre, not because it's called Beats nor the audio quality either.

If Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine weren't important, Apple would have shown them the door. The fact that Dr. Dre is involved with and promotes the Beats brand has been a crucial part of the brand's success.

post #9 of 109
Quote:

Nope.

Steve is turning in his grave for the offical apple wireless keyboards that have no number pad.

post #10 of 109

I'm looking forward to see how much the accessories revenue goes up in the Dec quarter.

I expect Apple will sell a ton of Beats headphones to Apple fans.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Solo2 just for fun

post #11 of 109
Quote:

Steve did release the iPod HiFi.
post #12 of 109
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post
...due to terrible build quality...

So morons who don’t know how to take care of things is Apple’s fault?

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Which was gorgeous and with utility. Unlike...

post #13 of 109
Apple doesn't want to put its name on those products for at least one reason and keeping Dre's name on it for good measure.
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

Apple doesn't want to put its name on those products for at least one reason and keeping Dre's name on it for good measure.

LOL

you are in denial

you don't spend $3B to hide something.

post #15 of 109
Quote:

LOL

you are in denial

Can anyone say "payola".
post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

Can anyone say "payola".

so Apple buys beats so it can hide it?

you are not making any sense at all.

if they are trying to hide it why does it have its own section on the site?

post #17 of 109
Quote:

so Apple buys beats so it can hide it?
Fiction.
post #18 of 109
Gross.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #19 of 109
Quote:

Massively overpriced, pathetically overhyped - in summary, just crap; with a different owner now.

And that's Tim Cook for you, Ladies and Gentlemen! Clap clap clap!

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #20 of 109
Quote:

LOL

you are in denial

Point is: they shouldn't have spent those USD 3 billion in the first place.

post #21 of 109
All this music talk made me remember I had a box of old Apple stuff in the attic. I went up (it was only 200°F up there) and found a box in which were old iPods and even one of those boom boxes that charged and played the iPod. I brought it down, waited for it to be cool enough to touch and plugged it in and popped a 60 GIG iPod in. It worked first time and plays as good as new. Now that is quality manufacturing. It's been up there for years.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #22 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I've talked to some of friends who still are in the recording industry and they are actually stoked about the deal. Regardless of what a lot of folks think about the quality of Beats, they are very profitable company and I think with the right resources in production, they can even do better. Plus they have a music service that I personally like. It's library isn't as big as Spotify's, but its curation is great.

Plus, focusing just on the now instead of the long game is a bit short sighted IMHO. There is a lot that Iovine and Dre bring on top of their already profitable business.

Edited by foad - 8/7/14 at 4:11pm
post #23 of 109
I want a pill dude
post #24 of 109
Quote:

Massively overpriced, pathetically overhyped - in summary, just crap; with a different owner now.

And that's Tim Cook for you, Ladies and Gentlemen! Clap clap clap!

Are you tring to imply that Cook is a bad CEO?

How is the Solo2 headphones crap? Finding me a headphone that looks just as good and sounds better for $200.
post #25 of 109
Quote:

So you know more about M&A than a $600,000,000,000 company?

Let me guess, you are a lawyer with a god complex.

Leave M&A and strategic planning to the pros.
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple isn't perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality.

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.
post #27 of 109
Next up for Apple: Heartbeats by Dr. Oz

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 109
Quote:

I think Apple should lose the "Beats by Dr. Dre" tagline/reference and push the "Beats" name alone. Not write in as the title of the section and not write it on the box or the headphones themselves. Call them Beats. Simple.

Agreed, and it will probably happen. Apple doesn't say 'MacBook Air by Sir Jony', for instance.

I think that the acquisition may not be formally (legally) completed yet, and that's the reason.
post #29 of 109
Acquiring www.Beats.com would be worthwhile.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

I bought a pair of Beats a couple of years ago. Don't use it all that much, yet, the cord is totally frayed, with copper exposed. And that's the one with the volume etc. controls. Annoying.

I take very good care of my electronics.
post #31 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed, and it will probably happen. Apple doesn't say 'MacBook Air by Sir Jony', for instance.

I think that the acquisition may not be formally (legally) completed yet, and that's the reason.

I thought the same thing, but this Dr. crap seems to be staying around. He's a good producer I'm sure, but it's time this Beats equipment looked and felt like an Apple product and not a Dr. Dre product.
post #32 of 109
Quote:

He should be turning over in his grave seeing entire sections of Apple accessories rated at 1.5 out of 5 stars on their own website due to terrible build quality with mostly lightening cables and laptop power supplies.
I'm sorry, but what do you expect when stupid people buy these accessories and abuse the crap out of them? Do you know how many people come to my desk and complain of the cable not working, and when I look at it, it looks like it's been chewed by a cat (and sometimes it has), and I point that out and they say, "well it should handle that kind of abuse", and I just tell them to go buy a new one and GET OUT.

People tend to not take care of their possessions, and then get all whiny and pissy when it brakes on them, and blame everyone but themselves, and this is usually reflected in the feedback ratings on the stores' sites.

In 10 years of owning iPod's, and now iPhone's and iPad's, not ONCE has a cable or headphone ever failed on me. In 3.5 years of owning my MBP, I've NEVER had the cable on the power brick fray, or even fail. Why? Because I don't twist, pull, kink, yank, or chew on the damn things!
post #33 of 109
Quote:

I thought the same thing, but this Dr. crap seems to be staying around. He's a good producer I'm sure, but it's time this Beats equipment looked and felt like an Apple product and not a Dr. Dre product.
Give it some time, I'm sure Jony will get around to sprucing them up soon enough 1smoking.gif
post #34 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I'm sorry, but what do you expect when stupid people buy these accessories and abuse the crap out of them? Do you know how many people come to my desk and complain of the cable not working, and when I look at it, it looks like it's been chewed by a cat (and sometimes it has), and I point that out and they say, "well it should handle that kind of abuse", and I just tell them to go buy a new one and GET OUT.

What a nice customer assistant you must be, I bet everyone's so happy to come to your store.

My lightning cable broke after two months, and it was fixed in position in my car. Frayed at the strain relief as usual with Apple cables. It would be impossible to mistreat it in its fixed location, the only movement it gets is plugging in and unplugging from the phone, certainly no teeth come near it..! Apple doesn't seem to understand what "strain relief" means, since their strain reliefs don't even bend...
post #35 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Next up for Apple: Heartbeats by Dr. Oz

sorry:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002P8OYEI?pc_redir=1407352139&robot_redir=1
Quote:

1. it's not a bad idea to drop Dre's name.

2. It's a bad idea to drop Dre's name from ALL Beats products. Really it's a dumb idea. Most headphones are sold because his name is on them.

3. I could have sworn Dre's Beats line is separated from the others. I don't remember his name on all products. Which is smart.

4. Ive is not a famous music producer. He likes staying behind the scenes. Dre's name fits well behind stuff like headphones.

I honestly like the pill dude!!!
I wish Beats quality was good I'd definitely buy one of those little guys!!

now that Apple owns the brand they really need to look beyond profit and make higher quality Beats accessories. They got the cool and want factor down but the quality is keeping millions more from purchasing. (sorry pill dude!)

oh and:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36YhS9pzkM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #36 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

What a nice customer assistant you must be, I bet everyone's so happy to come to your store.

Who said anything about me being in a store?
Quote:

My lightning cable broke after two months, and it was fixed in position in my car. Frayed at the strain relief as usual with Apple cables. It would be impossible to mistreat it in its fixed location, the only movement it gets is plugging in and unplugging from the phone, certainly no teeth come near it..! Apple doesn't seem to understand what "strain relief" means, since their strain reliefs don't even bend...

*starts pulling on strain relief point of his Lightning cable*

Weird, seems to be just fine to me, a hell of a lot better and more robust than the ones used on Monster and Beats gear...
post #37 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Which was gorgeous and with utility. Unlike...

Well the morons in this case happen to be Apple customers commenting on Apple products. Apple cables have been pure crap for a long time. As others have noted they constantly fray in the same way at the same points. That isn't operator error. That's a design problem.

Also you sound sort of pissed about the whole proof that Apple isn't killing the Beats brand claim you made. Clearly Apple wouldn't be doing this if they planned on keeping the products and people, but flushing the brand. You were dead wrong on that.

Quote:

Quote:

The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief, and due to Greenpeace's constant attemps to make Apple "greener": non-PVC cables are crap.

Non-PVC plastic just doesn't have the flexibility, and so Apple makes their cables out of foamed plastic. Eventually the non-flexible plastic weakens and cracks. That just doesn't happen with PVC. So instead of keeping one cable for years, I get them replaced bi-monthly by driving to the Apple store. That's so much more "green" than using PVC, eh Greenpeace? Why anyone pays any attention to those hippies is beyond me.

I had £65 Apple headphones do the same, Beats headphones probably use PVC and so are most likely better build quality than Apple's.

Perfect explanation.

Quote:

Quote:

People tend to not take care of their possessions, and then get all whiny and pissy when it brakes on them, and blame everyone but themselves, and this is usually reflected in the feedback ratings on the stores' sites.

In 10 years of owning iPod's, and now iPhone's and iPad's, not ONCE has a cable or headphone ever failed on me. In 3.5 years of owning my MBP, I've NEVER had the cable on the power brick fray, or even fail. Why? Because I don't twist, pull, kink, yank, or chew on the damn things!

Apple didn't do this because of operator error. It's bad design and continues to be bad design.

I take care of all my possessions. I've never had water damage nor cracked a button, port, screen, anything on my Mac, iPhones, iPad, etc. In this case the problem is Apple. The rule is not thousands of Apple owners all crapping all over their expensive Apple items and then docking Apple stars on their own website due to those actions. Apple makes crap cables.

Quote:

Quote:

As you note, the problem is known and common. You can be an Apple defender and still note that. You just can't be a blind fan boy and ignore it though.

post #38 of 109
Quote:

Quote:

If you replace your cables every two months, you clearly don't know to handle electronics, unlike the rest of the human race.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #39 of 109
I bought a pair of Beats a couple of years ago. Don't use it all that much, yet, the cord is totally frayed, with copper exposed. And that's the one with the volume etc. controls. Annoying.

Oh, THOSE. Okay; it was ambiguous at first.

Apple isn’t perfect, as evidenced by their terrible cable build quality. The cables always fray at the end partly due to inadequate strain relief…

Yeah, wrong. Take better care of your stuff.

post #40 of 109

So you take an old cable design from 6 years ago to try and prove your point that Apple makes crap cables? Nice try... You do know they re-designed these many years ago, right?
Quote:

I take care of all my possessions. I've never had water damage nor cracked a button, port, screen, anything on my Mac, iPhones, iPad, etc. In this case the problem is Apple. The rule is not thousands of Apple owners all crapping all over their expensive Apple items and then docking Apple stars on their own website due to those actions. Apple makes crap cables.

Good for you, glad to hear you've never spilled anything, smashed anything, cracked anything, on any of your Apple gear. Now if only you can learn to be as nice to your cables. Every single Apple product that's ever come across my desk has had the cables mangled almost beyond recognition. Even those that baby the actual device, torture the cables. This is not Apple's fault, this is sheer stupidity of the consumer.
Quote:

As you note, the problem is known and common. You can be an Apple defender and still note that. You just can't be a blind fan boy and ignore it though.

Stupidity is a known and common affliction these days too, just look at the average American consumer, or better yet, your average Congress senator. Enough said.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats by Dr. Dre gets its own section on Apple's online store