or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to donate $1.6M for earthquake relief in China - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to donate $1.6M for earthquake relief in China - report

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to have committed some 10 million yuan -- $1.6 million -- to support relief efforts following an earthquake in China's Yunnan province earlier this week that left over 600 people dead, the second time in as many years that the iPhone maker has pledged significant financial aid in the wake of a natural disaster.




Though Apple has yet to publicly confirm the donation, word of the company's commitment was reported by state-owned broadcaster China Radio International. Apple also updated its Chinese homepage to express its condolences.

Last April, Apple contributed 50 million yuan, or $8 million, to rescue and recovery work after an earthquake in neighboring Sichuan province. That event took nearly 200 lives and injured more than 10,000 people.

It is unknown whether Apple will follow up its donation by activating its iTunes donation system, which allows users to contribute to the Red Cross via iTunes. The last time the company did so was in November of 2013 after deadly Typhoon Haiyan ripped through the Philippines, killing more than 10,000.

Apple has also activated the system to accept contributions after Hurricane Sandy and the 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
post #2 of 28
It's a nice gesture, but it's enough. Countries like the Philippines and Haiti need help to a much higher level than economic powerhouses like China.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #3 of 28
Nice Apple. Savvy way gain a bit of leverage with the Chinese government.
post #4 of 28

Apple needs to do more of this.

post #5 of 28
the philipines and haiti are not buying millions of iphones. they are helping those who are important to company growth/revenue.
post #6 of 28

Good going Tim - 

 

Generates good will in country that we would like workers excited about Apple, and the consumer - generates good will/feelings toward Apple -

 

I approve as a major shareholder

post #7 of 28
People viewing this cynically (even if they approve). What a surprise. 1rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People viewing this cynically (even if they approve). What a surprise. 1rolleyes.gif

Are you hurt by the possibility there is a self-serving motive behind this?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People viewing this cynically (even if they approve). What a surprise. 1rolleyes.gif

 

People will be cynical and self serving. One of the goals of a well run economic system is to turn that cynicism and selfishness into jobs and products and research and charity and other stuff you use enjoy every day.

 

The biggest flaw of many economic systems is that they ignore the flaws of human nature.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

the philipines and haiti are not buying millions of iphones. they are helping those who are important to company growth/revenue.
Did you read past the headline? Apple helped those non-iPhone buying third world countries by magnitudes. Why make Apple sound self-serving when clearly they're not?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


Did you read past the headline? Apple helped those non-iPhone buying third world countries by magnitudes. Why make Apple sound self-serving when clearly they're not?

Haha. Good one.

 

Apple is a corporation. Corporations are tasked by law to be self-serving. Acting otherwise is actually illegal. But before everyone loses their minds, the law has a really, really low threshold of determining this.

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you hurt by the possibility there is a self-serving motive behind this?
I'm not hurt by anything. But it does bother me that people's first instinct is to suggest there's an ulterior motive behind it.
post #13 of 28

Good PR move.

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Good PR move.

Per the article: Though Apple has yet to publicly confirm the donation...

If this was a PR move one would assume Apple would publicly confirm the donation or issue a press release.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post
 

The biggest flaw of many economic systems is that they ignore the flaws of human nature.

 

And the biggest flaw one can make is to never truly consider the question: are we born with a certain nature or is it conditioned in us by the world into which we're born?

 

Consider the extreme example of child soldiers in Africa who don't think twice about taking a life.  Is that human nature or environmental conditioning?  If it's human nature, then why aren't we all murderers?  If it's conditioning, then you have to consider that greed may also be a product of conditioning.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post
 

Apple is a corporation. Corporations are tasked by law to be self-serving. Acting otherwise is actually illegal.

 

According to what law?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's a nice gesture, but it's enough. Countries like the Philippines and Haiti need help to a much higher level than economic powerhouses like China.
I tend to agree. The Chinese have the means if they have the will. However we must remember that there are still extremely poor regions of China.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple needs to do more of this.

Not without careful consideration of each situation and location.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'm not hurt by anything. But it does bother me that people's first instinct is to suggest there's an ulterior motive behind it.

 

Because there usually is.

post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People viewing this cynically (even if they approve). What a surprise. 1rolleyes.gif

Are you hurt by the possibility there is a self-serving motive behind this?

He didn't mention Apple's motives, just the commenters'.

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'm not hurt by anything. But it does bother me that people's first instinct is to suggest there's an ulterior motive behind it.

 

All people are self-serving. The wise ones are aware of and employ "enlightened self-interest".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 28

Apple should donate even more to create brand awareness in China. I just hope Samsung does not copy Apple by also donating for this relief effort. Samsung should rather invest in direct advertising to promote their brand in China, and not copy Apple by also donating.

post #23 of 28

I also think Apple should patent "Contribution for disaster relief to promote brand awareness". So that if Samsung also donate they can be sued, for copying Apple.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post

Apple should donate even more to create brand awareness in China. I just hope Samsung does not copy Apple by also donating for this relief effort. Samsung should rather invest in direct advertising to promote their brand in China, and not copy Apple by also donating.

Nice to see your priorities there. You'd rather a company not donate to help the victims because it would fit into your ideals?!
If companies donate that's is a good thing. To denigrate a charitable act to the level of "buying" brand awareness is imho shameful.
post #25 of 28
Why the hell is Apple donating to China? Their government has all the money in the world and they should be the ones footing any necessary bill to help the people affected. Not only does the US have to help everybody else in the world but now Apple feels like they have to do the same so that the world doesn't turn on them. Where's the Chinese government and the Chianese rich class right now??
post #26 of 28
Good Apple. Good, Christian giving.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #27 of 28

Or, y'know, just giving.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #28 of 28

Give it a rest!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to donate $1.6M for earthquake relief in China - report