or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]

Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]

post #1 of 157
In a short blog post about Motorola's upcoming Moto 360 smartwatch, the well-connected John Gruber caused a stir by seemingly saying Apple will launch "their wrist wearable thing" in September, though he later clarified that his comments were a "joke" and not based on any inside information.

iWatchiWatch concept by Todd Hamilton

While he didn't go so far as to name drop "iWatch," Gruber's post on Daring Fireball leaves little room for interpretation.

It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape.

The only way this could get funnier would be if it doesn't even ship until after Apple announces their wrist wearable thing next month.

The comment was in response to a story from The Verge highlighting the Moto 360's wireless charging capabilities, as well as other miscellaneous information about the upcoming smartwatch. Gruber has a decent track record in telegraphing Apple's launch schedule, as evidenced by last year's prediction that the company would debut two iPhones, which ended up being the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Update: Gruber later took to Twitter to clarify that he was "just making a joke." He said that he has "no idea whether Apple is planning a wrist thing for September or October."

Apple is widely expected to reveal a wearable device, dubbed "iWatch" by media outlets, later this year, though recent rumors say the device has hit production issues. According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iWatch was originally slated to start mass manufacture in September, but Apple pushed the timeline back one month for December at the earliest.

Despite the purported production issues, and a report from Re/code claiming an October debut, some still anticipate Apple to announce its smartwatch next month when the company will reportedly hold a special event to unveil the next-generation iPhone.
post #2 of 157
I think I like this analyst!
post #3 of 157

Wait for Jim Dalrymple's "yep" or "nope".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 157
Okay, this article is incredibly dumb. I don't think Gruber knows anything about it, it was just an idle comment about something that would be funny with regard to the Moto360. He's hardly making hard predictions. And here it gets picked up by AI with the random thirdparty mockup image that Gruber and friends made fun of just a couple episodes ago on The Talk Show.
post #5 of 157
Or you could wait for my 'oink' or squeal.
post #6 of 157
Ah, blogging. Sound like something people do right after they had their coffee in the morning.

Really great story there Gruber. I can't wrap my head around it but I think I'm doing it wrong.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #7 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

Okay, this article is incredibly dumb. I don't think Gruber knows anything about it, it was just an idle comment about something that would be funny with regard to the Moto360. He's hardly making hard predictions. And here it gets picked up by AI with the random thirdparty mockup image that Gruber and friends made fun of just a couple episodes ago on The Talk Show.

Gruber has fairly accurate sources. Jim Dalrymple's sources are never wrong (as far as I can remember).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 157
There will never be a watch.
post #9 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wait for Jim Dalrymple's "yep" or "nope".
Was Gruber intentionally letting something slip or was that comment based on many people's assumption Apple will announce something next month? I still have a sneaky feeling Apple won't be announcing just one thing. 9to5Mac reported that Apple hired another YSL executive and the team they're part of is focused on retail strategies for wearables. I don't think Apple would need a team for that if all they're announcing is one device that's either like an Android Wear device or a Nike FuelBand.
post #10 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Was Gruber intentionally letting something slip or was that comment based on many people's assumption Apple will announce something next month? I still have a sneaky feeling Apple won't be announcing just one thing. 9to5Mac reported that Apple hired another YSL executive and the team they're part of is focused on retail strategies for wearables. I don't think Apple would need a team for that if all they're announcing is one device that's either like an Android Wear device or a Nike FuelBand.

I still like the idea that Apple supplies a "core" that would be common to all watches and then the fashion companies provide variations on the iWatch for different styles, in the same way iPhone case companies provide thousands of varieties of cases and covers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 157
Quote:

I still like the idea that Apple supplies a "core" that would be common to all watches and then the fashion companies provide variations on the iWatch for different styles, in the same way iPhone case companies provide thousands of varieties of cases and covers.
I'd rather the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience.
post #12 of 157
Quote:

Was Gruber intentionally letting something slip....

If memory serves he's done just that thing before on a few occasions.

post #13 of 157

John Gruber is very careful about everything he posts. I heard him say a few years ago he likes to control every pixel on his site. He wouldn't post this comment without knowing something. 

post #14 of 157
They can't possibly call it iWatch. That's an ugly name. The word 'watch' itself comes off the tongue like a stripper out the back door; bumbling, slurring, and smelling of a gas station latrine. Like George Constanza in "The Seven," saying that the name "Blanche" must've sounded horrible at some point.
post #15 of 157
They won't call it that.

No such thing as an iWatch or iTime.

It's a 2014 iPod with wrist form factor and biosensors.
post #16 of 157
Quote:

That's not a bad idea though I'm not sure how much Apple will want to cede design to 3rd parties. Perhaps Apple will do something like that themselves? I've heard that Jony Ive hates iPhone cases. I'll bet the only reason Apple sells their own is because they don't want to cede all those accessory $$$ to third parties. Probably another reason they bought Beats too.

I just hope whatever Apple does they keep women, especially women with tiny wrists in mind. I would never wear a Moto Almost 360 because it would look so bulky and huge on my wrist. I still don't understand why tech sites have such a hard on for that device. Just because the watch face is round? I think it's ugly. Especially the black bar at the bottom where the circuitry is.
post #17 of 157
iWatch.

As long as it has a physical keyboard and can run Office Excel, I'm getting one.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #18 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

iWatch.

As long as it has a physical keyboard and can run Office Excel, I'm getting one.

Please tell me that is sarcasm. People already complain about word processing or spreadsheets on the iPhone, a 2" square (and that is being very liberal with the dimensions) would be impossible!

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #19 of 157

Please tell me you did not just ask that question. :)

post #20 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

They won't call it that.

No such thing as an iWatch or iTime.

It's a 2014 iPod with wrist form factor and biosensors.

Not sure why AI put that in the title. It reads like a quote, but the actual post said nothing about an iWatch.
post #21 of 157
post #22 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The only way this could get funnier would be if it doesn't even ship until after Apple announces their wrist wearable thing next month.

Actually it would be funnier if Apple never announces a wearable wrist thing.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #23 of 157

Whether he's a legit source matters not.  This is probably the safest 'prediction' in the recent history of tech.  If Apple doesn't drop this thing in September, something has gone seriously wrong.

There's only so far suspense will take you, and even though the other current watch offerings are mostly a joke, eventually someone is going to beat Apple to the punch and deliver something good.  The novelty factor has already been so diluted by the flood of fool's gold that this watch is going to have to be jaw dropping.

post #24 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually it would be funnier if Apple never announces a wearable wrist thing.

That would be amazing.  Hats off to Apple for making the whole tech industry go crazy trying to make watches just based on a rumor that Apple intended to break into that sector.

post #25 of 157
"It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape."

Motorola's "stupid flat-tire display shape" is only the shape almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had.

Gruber is an idiot. No, Gruber is a retard and an idiot.
post #26 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyanjd View Post

I'd rather the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience.

Do you work for Apple PR?  That was an amazing sentence. ;)

post #27 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

"It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape."

Motorola's "stupid flat-tire display shape" is only the shape almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had.

Retard and idiot. Way to have an intelligent conversation. 1rolleyes.gif

If I want a nicely designed WATCH I won't be buying a Moto Almost 360, I'll buy a nice watch from a well known watch maker.
post #28 of 157
Quote:

Like him or not, Gruber is far from an idiot.  Yes, watches have always been round, but the Moto 360 is more than just round.  It's thick, flat, and too big.  It looks pretty good in photos that just show the watch.  Not so when you see it on someone's wrist.  It's incredibly unwieldily and unattractive.

post #29 of 157

My point is that Gruber is such an Apple sycophant that he makes ridiculously biased statements when it concerns Apple's competition. If Apple put a literal piece of crap on a wristband, Gruber would write a five thousand word post in defense of it. 

post #30 of 157
Quote:

My point is that Gruber is such an Apple sycophant that he makes ridiculously biased statements when it concerns Apple's competition. If Apple put a literal piece of crap on a wristband, Gruber would write a five thousand word post in defense of it. 
I find it quite ironic you made this comment on Apple Insider. You basically just described Daniel Eran Dilger. 1wink.gif
post #31 of 157
Quote:

This was a very, very considered comment from John Gruber and possibly the whole point to posting in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnacu View Post

The subtlety might have been lost to you but the message couldn't have been clearer had Gruber rented a billboard in Times Square, being that Apple is releasing wearable tech next month.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #32 of 157
Quote:

I think Gruber's comment is being taken to mean something he did not intend. Gruber is usually very careful about what he posts and is generally respectful of Apple. That is why he gets press invites.
post #33 of 157
Quote:

I find it quite ironic you made this comment on Apple Insider. You basically just described Daniel Eran Dilger. 1wink.gif
Gruber's FAR more objective than DED could ever hope to be.

That and the fact that Gruber posts under his own name and not three or four different aliases like DED, Corrections, Prince McClean etc...
post #34 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

You produce an outrageous post and then try to defend it with an equally banal statement. Go do that elsewhere please.

post #35 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

This was a very, very considered comment from John Gruber and possibly the whole point to posting in the first place.

The subtlety might have been lost to you but the message couldn't have been clearer had Gruber rented a billboard in Times Square, being that Apple is releasing wearable tech next month.

Mark Gurman re-tweeted Gruber's comment. If he was hearing differently or didn't agree he'd say so. Gurman annoys me but he does get his scoops.
post #36 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Gruber's FAR more objective than DED could ever hope to be.

That the fact that Gruber posts under his own name and not three or four different aliases like DED, Corrections, Prince McClean etc...
Gruber may have an Apple bias but he does seem fair. Heck he showed up at Microsoft's Build conference this year because his Vesper app utilizes Microsoft's cloud services.
post #37 of 157
Quote:

Gruber may have an Apple bias but he does seem fair. Heck he showed up at Microsoft's Build conference this year because his Vesper app utilizes Microsoft's cloud services.

I've seen him compliment quite a number of Apple's competitor's products. Obviously he's pro-Apple but he's pretty fair and calls Apple out when it's called for.

His podcast from Build was pretty cool and funny to listen to. I'd like to see him do one with Paul Thurrott and or Preston Gralla. The ultimate one would be Dalrymple or Gruber and Rob Enderle.

post #38 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I've seen him compliment quite a number of Apple's competitor's products. Obviously he's pro-Apple but he's pretty fair and calls Apple out when it's called for.

His podcast from Build was pretty cool and funny to listen to. I'd like to see him do one with Paul Thurrott and or Preston Gralla. The ultimate one would be Dalrymple or Gruber and Rob Enderle.

Rob Enderle? Eww...no. 1oyvey.gif

I know a lot of people dislike Paul Thurrott but I don't mind him so much, on Windows Weekly at least. I wouldn't mind Gruber having Mary Jo Foley on his show. She seems super cool and isn't ever nasty about Microsoft competitors. I wish he would have done his podcast with her instead of Ed Bott.
post #39 of 157
Nope.
post #40 of 157
Quote:

Rob Enderle? Eww...no. 1oyvey.gif

I know a lot of people dislike Paul Thurrott but I don't mind him so much, on Windows Weekly at least. I wouldn't mind Gruber having Mary Jo Foley on his show. She seems super cool and isn't ever nasty about Microsoft competitors. I wish he would have done his podcast with her instead of Ed Bott.

I also watch Windows Weekly occasionally (and once in a blue moon, All About Android). My problem with the TWiT Windows podcasts... Leo seems so damn bored. He acts like his being there is painful to him (and it might be). 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]