or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]

Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u] - Page 4

post #121 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If all we get this fall is a bigger iPhone (which we should have had 2 years ago) and iPads with Touch ID the stock will get hammered.

Bad girl! You've backslid again.
post #122 of 157

Personally, I think the “greatest designer of our age” died a few years back after the incumbent had been coat-tailing him for years.  Since that time you only have to look at his efforts related to the redesign of the iOS and OSX GUI to understand where the true talent rested (white text on lime green; what was he thinking?!). It’s that attention to detail that, although can be replaced, hasn’t been replaced.  The talent and innovation is still there within Apple, and the rumoured and announced products look fantastic; but the presentation is getting a little fury around the edges.  From an external design perspective, Ive’s big test will be the iPhone 6; his first solo design (and the iWatch?).  If the “leaked” images are to be believed, I’m not overly impressed with the design.  The back looks ugly.

post #123 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyanjd View Post

I'd rather the greatest designer of our age take a shot at combining design,software,services, and technology to deliver another magical user experience.

Personally, I think the “greatest designer of our age” died a few years back after the incumbent had been coat-tailing him for years.  Since that time you only have to look at his efforts related to the redesign of the iOS and OSX GUI to understand where the true talent rested (white text on lime green; what was he thinking?!). It’s that attention to detail that, although can be replaced, hasn’t been replaced.  The talent and innovation is still there within Apple, and the rumoured and announced products look fantastic; but the presentation is getting a little fury around the edges.  From an external design perspective, Ive’s big test will be the iPhone 6; his first solo design (and the iWatch?).  If the “leaked” images are to be believed, I’m not overly impressed with the design.  The back looks ugly.

post #124 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blackwell View Post

Personally, I think the “greatest designer of our age” died a few years back after the incumbent had been coat-tailing him for years. Since that time you only have to look at his efforts related to the redesign of the iOS and OSX GUI to understand where the true talent rested (white text on lime green; what was he thinking?!). It’s that attention to detail that, although can be replaced, hasn’t been replaced. The talent and innovation is still there within Apple, and the rumoured and announced products look fantastic; but the presentation is getting a little fury around the edges. From an external design perspective, Ive’s big test will be the iPhone 6; his first solo design (and the iWatch?). If the “leaked” images are to be believed, I’m not overly impressed with the design. The back looks ugly.
How do we know iPhone 6 is Apple's first design with no input from Steve? iPhone 4, released in 2010, was based on a prototype called 'purple' from August of 2005. Also we have no idea if these iPhone 6 leaks are legit and if they are if it's a final design. There is no way to judge until the final product is announced. I remember a lot of people hated the iPhone 5 design when the leaks first showed up but then when the phone was released and they got their hands on one they thought it was beautiful. As far as software goes...I'll take anything in iOS 7 OSX Yosemite over this:

podcast-app.png
post #125 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blackwell View Post

...but the presentation is getting a little fury around the edges.

How so?
Quote:
The back looks ugly.

You're referring to those larger dividing lines across the back? There could be a functional reason for them to exist.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #126 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoissea View Post

"It looks like Motorola's designers tried to draw as much attention as they could to the 360's stupid flat-tire display shape."

Motorola's "stupid flat-tire display shape" is only the shape almost EVERY WATCH EVER MADE has had.

Gruber is an idiot. No, Gruber is a retard and an idiot.

Apart from the black bar across the bottom of the circular face, which is not apparent on any of the watches I own and which gives the 360 face a "flat tyre" look.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #127 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apart from the black bar across the bottom of the circular face, which is not apparent on any of the watches I own and which gives the 360 face a "flat tyre" look.

I'd like to see even one other watch that has used a flat tyre look.

post #128 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Still waiting for this list of 16 "businesses" MS has that generate over $1B USD in revenue and have no problem generating profits.

Year to date net income for Microsoft is $22 billion. Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=MSFT&annual

I'd be curious to know which items on thar list (besides maybe Xbox you think aren't profitable)? Right now there are only two businesses Microsoft publicly admits are in the red - Bing and the Nokia business they bought - though on the last earnings call Nadella said both would be profitable by 2016.
post #129 of 157
Quote:

Again, you're wrong. Apple execs say this every year and will continue saying it, and since incremental update is an improvement in some fashion they aren't ever going to be proven wrong.
No you're not. You're trying to shoehorn something you invented in your head into some scientific proof like you're the inventor of phrenology. If it was just about your opinion you wouldn't be writing the things you're writing.

Provide me a quote where Cook or any other executive said upcoming products were the best in 25 years?

And yeah I think we will see a new product category this fall. And I think some of the statements from Cook and others signal it. I don't see what's so shocking about that. Earlier this year on one of Apple's earnings calls Cook said Apple was "closer than it’s ever been" to announcing a new product category. IMO Cook would not be dangling these carrots in front of Wall Street if new stuff was a year or two away. I'm sure the last thing he wants is another downward slide in the stock and the Apple is doomed meme front and center again. Not after WWDC created so much positive sentiment around Apple.
post #130 of 157
Provide me a quote where Cook or any other executive said upcoming products were the best in 25 years?

Sure thing.

post #131 of 157
Quote:

Here's the list according to Mary Jo Foley. She speculates the 16th could be Android patent licensing. I guess one could argue over whether these should be called businesses or not. You could swap out businesses with products.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-16-billion-dollar-businesses-an-updated-list-7000019346/

Windows (which also, up until now, included Surface, which contributed $853 million to the total in fiscal 2013)
Windows Server
Windows Azure
Office (client)
Xbox
SQL Server
System Center (client and server both, so includes Windows Intune)
SharePoint
Visual Studio
Dynamics (CRM and ERP)
Online Advertising (search and display both)
Office 365
Client-access license (CAL) suites (formerly known as desktop access)
Enterprise Services (including consulting)
Enterprise communication business (Exchange plus Lync)

Wait, she's counting Surface, splitting Windows and Office into multiple groups?
post #132 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I'm waiting for Apple to release their "smart" jockstrap this November.  :P

What will it do?

Auto erect¿

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #133 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure thing.
I meant before Cue said that because SolipsismX claims Apple execs say that every year.
post #134 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wait, she's counting Surface, splitting Windows and Office into multiple groups?
Calling them products and not businesses makes more sense IMO. But still it's a lot of different products generating a lot revenue for Microsoft. And outside of Xbox, Bing (I'm assuming Bing is part of advertising on her list) and Surface I would bet the rest of her list contributes to Microsoft's bottom line (I know the Fortune 20 company I work for uses all of them except Dynamics).
post #135 of 157
I hope they don't make a watch, and instead everything they've done is just total misdirection. Then Apple will have innovated a new kind of trolling.

IT WOULD BE SO WORTH IT.
post #136 of 157
I meant before Cue said that because SolipsismX claims Apple execs say that every year.

They do say it every year.

post #137 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:

Sometimes he seems bored during MacBreak Weekly too. But at least he hasn't gone on a "when is Apple going to innovate again" rant for a while.

What I want to know is when Apple will STOP innovating?

This constant innovation in software and hardware is getting b o r i n g !

Yep. As the resident trolls on this site would say: their constant innovation is getting staid, tired and boring. They're leading by innovating; why don't they give others a chance?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #138 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I personally consider Gruber to be quite a talented wordsmith. He's written a few times that he strives to be the minimalist and perfectionist similar to the company he writes about.

DED on the other hand is a writer more in the Steven King style, afflicted with Diarrhea-of-the-Typewriter Syndrome.

Both bake their literary cookies with the same base ingredients i.e. logic... however one decides that a simple flourish of chocolate chips will be enough of a nuance; the other drops in chocolate chips, M&Ms, colored sprinkles, macadamia nuts and anything else he pulls from the cupboard... than goes on tangents to try and justify that each addition adds flavor and substance to his argument. One is disciplined and trained in taste gourmet, the other is, well... "I do what I want and if ya don't like it, F*** Off... and I'll tell that to your face via my other self".

I'm backing Gruber on this one and it surely wasn't a mistake. He's looking to add to his "Claim Chowder".

Speaking of which, the above anology is most often described using soup as the metaphor. I happen to (unfortunately) know cookies much better. Beer, wine and spirits work too, but we are in a mixed-cultured forum here and we don't need any of that to get into a good ol' fashioned beer brawl here, do we? 1smoking.gif

What I love about DED is that he focuses on both the detail and the big picture in an entertaining and informative manner.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #139 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

You forgot about Flash. Without Flash it is not up to date!
1smoking.gif

Or serial ports.

How else would you print stuff and use the mouse?

Don't forget the optical drive!
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #140 of 157
Quote:

Quote:

My point is, arsehole, that Apple wouldn't be hiring all these people if all they were launching is a Moto 360 type device. Obviously they're working on a range of wearable products. And yes I do think something will come out this fall. The most recent hires are sales/retail not engineering.

Eddy Cue wouldn't say this fall will see Apple's best pipeline in 25 years if this stuff was coming out in 2015. If all we get this fall is a bigger iPhone (which we should have had 2 years ago) and iPads with Touch ID the stock will get hammered. The stock is where it is right now because people are expecting new product categories (hardware or software/services) this fall, not next year. Don't forget Tim Cook said last year that we'd see new products "across 2014". So far the only new things people can buy are minor spec bumps to existing products.

1) Stop with the personal attacks.

2) New products ≠ new product categories. Why is that so hard to understand?

3) If the stock gets hammers big fucking deal. I don't want a company that only cares about the stock price from quarter to quarter without concern for longterm success.

Well said.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #141 of 157
@PhilBoogie, the use of serial port was for loop detectors, which are placed in the cement and used to measure when vehicles go over it. There is a USB-to-VGA adapter the company also sends out incase the WinPC doesn't have a serial port, but they usually do and it's less configuration and drivers to not have to use that adapter. It's just one of those things with dealing with Windows. If the legacy support will be there there is little reason for most companies to ever update their systems.

post #142 of 157
Quote:

Calling them products and not businesses makes more sense IMO. But still it's a lot of different products generating a lot revenue for Microsoft. And outside of Xbox, Bing (I'm assuming Bing is part of advertising on her list) and Surface I would bet the rest of her list contributes to Microsoft's bottom line (I know the Fortune 20 company I work for uses all of them except Dynamics).

Isn't Bing losing money? Isn't the xbox breaking even? I rather have a small group of products making profit than a large group of items not making me money.

Take out Windows and Office, what's the profit for everything else.
post #143 of 157

Somebody's confusing a "product pipeline" for a "new product category pipeline."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #144 of 157
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Somebody's confusing a "product pipeline" for a "new product category pipeline."

Cook apparently did say “product category”.

post #145 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cook apparently did say “product category”.

Yes, but not Cue. Rogifan's claim is that the additional inclusion of 25 years instead of the open statement that assumes "ever" somehow means new product category.

post #146 of 157
Quote:

Yes, but not Cue. Rogifan's claim is that the additional inclusion of 25 years instead of the open statement that assumes "ever" somehow means new product category.
And I'm sticking by that assertion. If I'm wrong I will have no problem admitting it. 1smile.gif
post #147 of 157
Quote:

And I'm sticking by that assertion. If I'm wrong I will have no problem admitting it. 1smile.gif

You are wrong because that inclusion of duration in no way refers to a product category, but now you're even more wrong for thinking that if there is a new product category announced this year — which I believe there will be — that it somehow validates your foolish comment. It's as foolish as me saying I just did post number 145 on Apple Insider thread 181756 which means there will be a product category announced this year. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

post #148 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Isn't Bing losing money? Isn't the xbox breaking even? I rather have a small group of products making profit than a large group of items not making me money.

Take out Windows and Office, what's the profit for everything else.
I don't know as. Microsoft doesn't report that way but I'm going to take a guess that things like Azure, SQL Server, Visual Studio, etc. are making Microsoft money. This isn't Amazon we're talking about here. Also I think Apple can (and will) add new revenue streams that are profitable. 9to5Mac says Apple is working on 1st party hardware for HomeKit. I have no doubt we will see the same with HealthKit. And with all the customers with credit cards on file (more than Amazon) I think we a mobile payments system of some sort within the next couple years. And let's not forget about whatever grand plan Apple has for ATV. Cook has said on Apple earnings calls that the company has no problem coming up with areas they want to get into. 3-5 years from now I'll bet Apple is much less dependent on iPhone for revenue and earnings growth.
post #149 of 157
Quote:

You are wrong because that inclusion of duration in no way refers to a product category, but now you're even more wrong for thinking that if there is a new product category announced this year — which I believe there will be — that it somehow validates your foolish comment. It's as foolish as me saying I just did post number 145 on Apple Insider thread 181756 which means there will be a product category announced this year. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

There's no way you can say whether I'm wrong or not because you have no idea why Cue made that comment in that specific way. Obviously, there's no way for me to prove that his specific comment at the re/code conference was in reference to a new category but there's no way for you to prove it wasn't. Apple executives are very careful with what they say. We know Apple has lots of irons in the fire and I happen to believe we're going to see some of that new stuff this fall. If you think my comments are foolish then a lot of people are foolish in your eyes because I'm certainly not the only expecting something brand new this year based on comments from Cook and others. Below is just a small list of websites that ran stories on Cue's comment. Would they do that if they thought it was just a boilerplate comment referring to better iPhones and iPads? There is nothing newsworthy about that as every new iPhone and iPad is better than the one that came before.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/29/5759262/apples-cue-weve-got-the-best-product-pipeline-in-25-years
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/05/29/apples-eddy-cue-touts-best-product-pipeline-in-25-years/
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2014/05/29/apples-new-product-line-best-25-years-according-exec-eddy-cue/
http://mashable.com/2014/05/29/apple-upcoming-products-best-in-25-years/
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/05/29/apples-product-lineup-the-best-in-25-years-says-executive-eddy-cue/
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101712700
http://bgr.com/2014/05/29/2014-apple-iphone-ipad-mac/
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-new-product-lineup-2014-5
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/apple-exec-says-upcoming-products-best-25-years/
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/upcoming-apple-products-are-the-best-yet/
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-has-its-best-product-lineup-in-25-years-says-itunes-head-cue/
http://www.zdnet.com/itunes-boss-cue-apple-has-best-product-pipeline-in-25-years-but-wont-tell-whats-coming-next-7000029989/
post #150 of 157
Quote:

There's no way you can say whether I'm wrong or not because you have no idea why Cue made that comment in that specific way.

You're wrong again. There is no comment about a new product category in the quote you posted so you're wrong to say it specifically refers to a new product category. It's that simple.

post #151 of 157
Quote:

Ireland pointed that tweet out yesterday so I'm not sure how it's getting missed. As for Gruber's original comment nothing about the comment comes across as jokey to me.

I don't see that anyone has actually pointed out Gruber's clarification to his clarification:

"The joke is Apple event happening before Moto 270 even ships. Apple wearable imminent: no joke."

He thinks there's a wrist thing shipping, he just doesn't know when.

post #152 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I don't see that anyone has actually pointed out Gruber's clarification to his clarification:

"The joke is Apple event happening before Moto 270 even ships. Apple wearable imminent: no joke."

He thinks there's a wrist thing shipping, he just doesn't know when.

As previously noted, Ireland did so earlier in the thread.

Of course, Ireland choice to post the link without actually doing anything to make his comment relevant so it was easily missed by this common lazy and/or douchebaggy forum posting tactic.

post #153 of 157
I read the post minutes after it was posted abs absolutely understood that he wasn't serious. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have their head checked. I can't believe this no-news has been reposted everywhere.
post #154 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoissea
My point is that Gruber is such an Apple sycophant that he makes ridiculously biased statements when it concerns Apple's competition. If Apple put a literal piece of crap on a wristband, Gruber would write a five thousand word post in defense of it.
Quote:

I find it quite ironic you made this comment on Apple Insider. You basically just described Daniel Eran Dilger. 1wink.gif

So unnecessary. This kind of snotty, cheap insult is maybe why we don't have any more weekend think pieces from DED. Also I find it quite ironic that YOU made this comment on Apple Insider, since you are a sycophant of your own persona here. You basically just exemplify a fan of oneself, a narcissist, a Rogifan.
Edited by Flaneur - 8/10/14 at 3:35pm
post #155 of 157
Quote:

As previously noted, Ireland did so earlier in the thread.
Of course, Ireland choice to post the link without actually doing anything to make his comment relevant so it was easily missed by this common lazy and/or douchebaggy forum posting tactic.

I did see his post, I just thought he was referring to the second tweet from Gruber, where he said he had just been joking. I didn't realize he was referring to the third, where Gruber then said he was only joking about the timing, but Apple is indeed creating a wearable device. Especially since it looks, based on the timing, that he posted that link before Gruber even made the third tweet. It doesn't help that AppleInsider didn't update the article to reflect that third tweet.

post #156 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I did see his post, I just thought he was referring to the second tweet from Gruber, where he said he had just been joking. I didn't realize he was referring to the third, where Gruber then said he was only joking about the timing, but Apple is indeed creating a wearable device. Especially since it looks, based on the timing, that he posted that link before Gruber even made the third tweet. It doesn't help that AppleInsider didn't update the article to reflect that third tweet.

After a story generates the needed page views, what do they care?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #157 of 157

Seems to me that this story isn't based on an "offhand" comment, but rather an "offwrist" comment!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Offhand comment stirs hope that Apple could announce 'iWatch' in Sept. [u]