or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 8 beta 5 pulls business info from Maps into Phone app's Recents list

Apple's iOS 8 beta 5 pulls business info from Maps into Phone app's Recents list

post #1 of 37
A new feature discovered in Apple's latest iOS 8 beta release automatically populates the Phone app's Recents list with information about points of interest when dialing out from Maps, applying correct name, addresses and even Yelp data to recent-dialed numbers.

From left: Spotlight search results, Maps infobox and Phone's Recents list.

Rolled out as part of the latest iOS 8 beta 5, and subsequently spotted by AppleInsider reader Mohammed, the contact data transfer feature appears to be limited to calls originating from the Maps app. Since Maps search results are available through iOS 8's Spotlight search, however, the function is accessible from anywhere in iOS.

As seen in the image set above, we were able to find a nearby restaurant called Rattle 'N' Hum in New York using Maps' Hybrid view, search text box and Spotlight in Safari. Clicking on the provided number automatically transported the bar's information to our iPhone's Recents list, including Yelp score, webpage and physical address with map.

The functionality is especially helpful for users who rely on their iPhone to discover nearby dining and entertainment, or travelers unfamiliar with the surrounding neighborhood.

For example, as with Rattle 'N' Hum, a user can find a place to eat in Maps, call to make reservations, then visit the Recents section to get directions when it's time to go. Further, the restaurant's information is now stored on-site, ready for redialing or saving to Contacts.

As noted above, the feature appears to be limited to Maps, as testing with Siri and Safari yielded negative results. Interestingly, while conducting a Spotlight search in Safari returned Maps results, extensibility stops short of pairing phone numbers -- URL-based or discovered via iOS data detectors -- with the mapping app's POI database.

Apple will launch iOS 8 this fall alongside the next-generation "iPhone 6," which is expected to come in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch flavors. According to the most recent rumors, Apple's upcoming handset lineup will include a 2.0GHz A8 processor, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and possibly NFC functionality.
post #2 of 37
That's a good addition but why not keep it in maps too?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Great idea. The Maps app has so much potential.
post #4 of 37
This isn't new. At least not in beta 5. Works well if you called a bunch of restaurants and then couldn't rememberer the right number on the call list.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninma002 View Post

This isn't new. At least not in beta 5. Works well if you called a bunch of restaurants and then couldn't rememberer the right number on the call list.
They probably just got around to experimenting it.
post #6 of 37

Doesn't matter unless the POI data is both accurate and complete.  The fact that this still references Yelp data isn't exactly encouraging.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninma002 View Post

Slow news day.

They (AppleInsider) had nothing else to post. The Wall Street Journal doesn't need to post anything about Apple on a given day. This site is expected to come up with something. And this is what we get.

Isn't blogging great?

post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Slow news day.

They (AppleInsider) had nothing else to post. The Wall Street Journal doesn't need to post anything about Apple on a given day. This site is expected to come up with something. And this is what we get.

Isn't blogging great?

Oh, look how cool you are.

Sheesh.

post #9 of 37
Quote:

Slow news day.

Isn't blogging great?

Actually this is quite significant to me, being the person who reported it, just a few phone calls to restaurants/hotels and your phone log is full of strange numbers, I don't like to save these establishments in my phone book so having them labelled on my phone is a great way to know who's calling and incase you need to call back.

Also, you don't need to initiate using maps app as I didn't use it when I reported it.
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Doesn't matter unless the POI data is both accurate and complete.  The fact that this still references Yelp data isn't exactly encouraging.

It matters to me as long as the information is accurate. Completeness is a nice-to-have, but the feature still "matters" without it.
post #11 of 37
I would love to see listed companies searched for and listed in the phone app.

eg. Type phone number into keypad and have it search and return company name and details as it currently does for contacts.

Maybe all they need is a CardDAV directory which is searchable but not listable.

Regular search is obviously better via Spotlight or Siri, but this reverse search and using data detectors, area codes etc. all points to decreasing my trips to Google, and that's got to be a good thing.
post #12 of 37

Re iOS7 Maps:

I would love to  see accurate Maps for small communities.

We always start with Apple Maps, it's very good in major centers, but often terrible in smaller communities.

post #13 of 37
Hey AI:
Another new feature with iOS 8 (at least I believe so) is that WiFi-only iPads now pull location information from Personal Hotspot paired iPhones - the blue dot in Maps now updates every 10 seconds. This never used to happen (Google search: "does iPad get location info from my iPhone")
Unfortunately this does not kick the Apple Maps on the iPad into turn-by-turn directions, as it currently only shows an overview. Hopefully turn-by-turn is a feature to come with a new iOS update.

Exciting to see the level of "Continuity" between iDevices with the new iOS.
post #14 of 37
Quote:

Slow news day.

Isn't blogging great?

If you can post your address we'll send the police to rescue you from the bad men who make you go to AI every day.
post #15 of 37
Quote:

Slow news day.

Isn't blogging great?

How much did your AI subscription set you back? You should ask for a refund.
post #16 of 37

I don't come here to read the blog, silly. I'm here for the FREE inane forum comments.

Remember, this is a tech rumor blog. The 98%+ of the articles here will be wrong.

Edited by mpantone - 8/10/14 at 8:32am
post #17 of 37
The big value in this is that we typically aren't going to remember what that random number on the call list was for. I look up sushi places in Portland cause I'm doing some work there and the crew had an itch for some sushi I might call ten places. Often to verify the POI info is correct. U Wanna Sushi sounds like the spot to go but which of the numbers I dialed was that (cause now I want to call back and actually book that table for 12 they said they could do)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The big value in this is that we typically aren't going to remember what that random number on the call list was for. I look up sushi places in Portland cause I'm doing some work there and the crew had an itch for some sushi I might call ten places. Often to verify the POI info is correct. U Wanna Sushi sounds like the spot to go but which of the numbers I dialed was that (cause now I want to call back and actually book that table for 12 they said they could do)

I run into that issue on a weekly basis and yet it never occurred to me that this could easily be solved by the phone app pulling Yelp data, especially when the data was given to it from the Maps app.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #19 of 37
The phone app isn't pulling maps data is it? You have to go to maps first. But of course it should. Either place should do it.
post #20 of 37

Android implements this feature much more comprehensively. You can search for businesses direct from the phone app. It will even run the search against incoming calls so you can see who is calling you.

post #21 of 37
Quote:

The phone app isn't pulling maps data is it? You have to go to maps first. But of course it should. Either place should do it.

The phone app does pull City and State data from the area code. Throwing the whole number into the Siri backend to see if that matches up to a business in Yelp wouldn't be very difficult.

post #22 of 37
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
It will even run the search against incoming calls so you can see who is calling you.

Isn’t that just regular caller ID? Of course, I wouldn’t put it past Android to waste your data by doing something the phone system already does.

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Isn’t that just regular caller ID? Of course, I wouldn’t put it past Android to waste your data by doing something the phone system already does.

I'm not aware of any cellular service provider that sends the name of callers not in your address book.  Caller ID on cell phones is limited to displaying the phone number.

post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Caller ID doesn't display names in the UK, just numbers.

post #25 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

Android implements this feature much more comprehensively. You can search for businesses direct from the phone app. It will even run the search against incoming calls so you can see who is calling you.

Quote:

These and most of the others point out that 'memory' is an important aspect of our smart device experience.

I think instead of having a memory for each app on the system, a common 'recents' place should evolve for persons, places, services.  

Since iOS really revolves around 'communication,'  'recents' in the phone app seems logical.  I'd like to see 'recents' expand to 

- recently searched places/services

- recently mapped locations

- recently called

- recently tweet-plied/retweeted 

- recently facebooked

- recently imessaged.

and return to the 'state' where the 'recents' put you, with backward (if I searched for a 'pizza' and had joe's pizza in maps, went there and it was closed, or full, I'd like to get back to 'where's the next closest pizza place to Joe's?').

Eventually, this is your 'activity log' and it's meta data that all apps populate with typed data that is consistent with contacts data (name, email, phone, lat/long, address,etc).  It's doable now with iOS8 interapp communication, and populating an icloud/continuity app, makes it even more useful (the one thing I hate is 'searching' for a pizza shop on my Mac [I'm a multi-tasker... phones are nice, but I'm mid way through a project, searching for where to go to lunch, and correcting all the people who are wrong on the internet... the phone doesn't yet cut it;-)], and transferring that data onto myphone.)

post #26 of 37
Yea. Good idea. Email Cook.
post #27 of 37
Quote:

Slow news day.

Isn't blogging great?

What do you want Appleinsider to do, conjure up Apple news using the power of Satan for the sake of entertaining you. Small news this is but news none the less, these type of stories is also what makes Appleinsider worth reading. It shows us even the smallest feature that might be coming to Apple's OS's, how can you not find that interesting, are you all knowing is that it. You really should lower your expectations because large news stories that your expecting just simply don't come up everyday, frankly your post is quite ridiculous.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #28 of 37
Quote:

I have to agree, the Kit Kat's dialer is very intuitive, I always use my Nexus 5 when I'm looking for a local business. This feature is also a perfect example why companies like Samsung need to stop releasing their own highly modified versions Android. TouchWiz is just a horrid mess a frankly plays a big part as to why people hate Android so much. Using a vanilla version of Android on something like a Nexus 5 is actually a very pleasant experience, especially with the new Android 5 ( L Preview) release.

Anyway, it's really nice to see that the iPhone is also getting a similar feature as it's very convenient.

Here's a look at the KitKat dialer to see what you might expect on iOS;

Edited by Relic - 8/10/14 at 12:46pm
post #29 of 37

Would be cooler if it gave you the option to integrate with a better map app, like Google Maps.

post #30 of 37
Quote:

This is actually why I like using my Nexus 5 to contact local businesses, not only does the dialer display the number but it also displays the name of the business, so if they call back you will see who it is. You can also retrieve more information about the busines simply by clicking on it and since Android apps talk to each other you can also retrieve data from other apps like Yelp or any other that gives more info on the business contact.

Adding a similar feature to iOS is a fantastic idea, I'm really contemplating on getting an iPhone now that all of these wonderful additions keep popping up and a possible phablet model, yyyyaaaayyyyy. Keep it up Apple.
post #31 of 37
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
Would be cooler if it gave you the option to integrate with a better map app, like Google Maps.

Stopped being cool two years ago.

post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I run into that issue on a weekly basis and yet it never occurred to me that this could easily be solved by the phone app pulling Yelp data, especially when the data was given to it from the Maps app.

It's another small piece of a larger puzzle for Apple, Maps, Siri, OS X, and iOS continue to move forward.

post #33 of 37
Quote:

Google Maps sucks for the long range plans of Apple, no different than Amazon, Intel or Samsung, besides don't you have a Google barge to stand on. Google it.

post #34 of 37
Is it just a coincidence you used Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley's favorite establishment :-) (Rattle 'N' Hum in New York)
post #35 of 37
1oyvey.gif
Quote:

I don't understand your point, he just wants the ability to access Google Maps with the dialer app, not asking Apple to actually integrate Google Maps, it's called choice and it's a valid request. iOS apps only communicates with those that are specifically programmed into it. Unlike Android which allows apps to share or access with any other app that is installed on the system and is compatible with the protocol required to function. Example, Kingsoft Office allows the user to upload it's saved files to any cloud service that is installed on the system, Pages only allows access to those cloud services that were chosen by Apple and it's developers, why not all of them. I fully understand that iOS sand boxes it's apps so it will never have the open relationship between apps like Android does but I would still like to see this opened up maybe just a little more then it currently is. It's kind of inconvenient that the the choice of apps that I can use with others has already been pre-determined, Is my request silly?
Edited by Relic - 8/10/14 at 3:22pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:

I don't come here to read the blog, silly. I'm here for the FREE inane forum comments.

Remember, this is a tech rumor blog. The 98%+ of the articles here will be wrong.

Can we banned this?
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new feature discovered in Apple's latest iOS 8 beta release automatically populates the Phone app's Recents list with information about points of interest when dialing out from Maps, applying correct name, addresses and even Yelp data to recent-dialed numbers.

How is it going to put the correct data in the Recents list when the data on the map is incorrect? :lol:

But seriously, let's hope this leads to such stunning and revolutionary improvements as populating address data for Calendar appointments from Contacts. Though I suppose that may be off in the distance since even OS X doesn't support that yet.

Submitted sarcastically and with deepest cynicism.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS 8 beta 5 pulls business info from Maps into Phone app's Recents list
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 8 beta 5 pulls business info from Maps into Phone app's Recents list