or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads - Page 5

post #161 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

 

 

So what do you think about 4GB of memory now, 

 

I think its not enough by half for a device that cannot EVER be upgraded and can cost upwards of $1000.

 

Pretty much the same thing I thought in my last post :-)

macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
Reply
macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
Reply
post #162 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post
 

 

I think its not enough by half for a device that cannot EVER be upgraded and can cost upwards of $1000.

 

Pretty much the same thing I thought in my last post :-)


Aaaah I have carpel tunnel now after that huge post, no fair, your supposed to fall in line with my way of thinking. These aren't the droids your looking for, how about now. So what do you buy then, you can't upgrade MacBook's. Do they even make tablets that can be upgraded? At the end of the day I truly believe 4GB is more then enough for most people, I use a device with only 2GB and I have yet to run into a wall and I always push it. Believe it or not Windows 8.1 has really good memory management.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #163 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


Aaaah I have carpel tunnel now after that huge post, ...

I did warn you about that. Haha.
post #164 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I did warn you about that. Haha.

 

You sure did, but like everyone who hears something is bad for you, we want to do it more. Must right a novel, no you can't, it will kill you, don't stop me, I must write my memorials. Non fiction or fiction, fiction of course, if people actually heard about the stuff I've done they would form a lynch mob to go after me like I was the protagonist in a Marry Shelly novel.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #165 of 292
@Relic - Damn girl! You need a blog! Nice write-up about the Surface.

I saw your post on another thread waxing poetic over your Windows phone... and rather than go back and post there, curious what you have to say about this review over at that hell-hole ZDnet.


Windows Phone app challenge: Can it stand up to the big boys? | ZDNet


Me personally, from what I saw last Fall when trying to help a client get assimilated and synced with his Nokia 920 and Windows 7/Office 2010 shop... I'd have to agree with the summary above.

Note: the client "moved on" in Feb. to an iPhone 5s, then in April an iPad Air and in June The Dream Machine (IMO) BTO rMBP 15". Sorry... we're both happy.. 1biggrin.gif

Also I couldn't agree more with your views towards Adobe subs. They're a very good deal from students to pros. Not so much the "but I got to have it once in awhile" crowd.

Last but not least regarding my post in this thread a couple days ago stating my opinion that Microsoft should change their corp. name, or Windows ... or both. Seems like they're considering it but starting small... 1smile.gif

Microsoft considered renaming Internet Explorer to escape its checkered past | Ars Technica
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #166 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic - Damn girl! You need a blog! Nice write-up about the Surface.

I saw your post on another thread waxing poetic over your Windows phone... and rather than go back and post there, curious what you have to say about this review over at that hell-hole ZDnet.


Windows Phone app challenge: Can it stand up to the big boys? | ZDNet

Me personally, from what I saw last Fall when trying to help a client get assimilated and synced with his Nokia 920 and Windows 7/Office 2010 shop... I'd have to agree with the summary above.

Note: the client "moved on" in Feb. to an iPhone 5s, then in April an iPad Air and in June The Dream Machine (IMO) BTO rMBP 15". Sorry... we're both happy.. 1biggrin.gif

Also I couldn't agree more with your views towards Adobe subs. They're a very good deal from students to pros. Not so much the "but I got to have it once in awhile" crowd.

Last but not least regarding my post in this thread a couple days ago stating my opinion that Microsoft should change their corp. name, or Windows ... or both. Seems like they're considering it but starting small... 1smile.gif

Microsoft considered renaming Internet Explorer to escape its checkered past | Ars Technica
 

Please excuse the delay of this reply, I started to type yesterday when I felt something warm and sticky between my legs. During my last operation the surgeons inserted a plastic tube into me for drainage and it had apparently fallen out during my last trip to the bathroom. The leak managed to make a quite a mess.

 

Thank you for the review, I hadn't seen this one yet. This guy is defiantly an Android user as 60% percent of his problems with the platform was the lack of Google support, the rest, well I just don’t think he spent enough time with the platform to make a competent observation. I'll go over a few points, though I won't talk about anything Google related as WM8 just doesn’t support it so why bother, why did the reviewer bother with it, is beyond me.

 

On a silly side note, I used my Nokia 1020 to type up this comment. There has been a few comments about people having problems with AppleInsider when using an iPad. When I use my iPad to type up a comment for any site including this one, I  always use a text editor to type up the comment. I use Kingsoft Office in Android, MS Office in iOS, Windows and Windows Phone of course. When the new Office app comes out for Android I will move from Kingsoft Office to MS Office, continuity and all. Anyway, I cant believe how fast I have gotten with typing on my Nokia 1020, the WM8 virtual keyboard is really great..

 

The first problem this guy had was with with Office 365 and the lack integration with email within the Office app itself. His complaint is quite silly here because, well, there is no Office 365 app, it's just Office, with 365 support. That and I'm really not sure what he was expecting to find here, maybe the feature set from a full desktop version, who knows. Basically the Office app in WM8 is meant for viewing, light editing and sharing files, not emails, there is a dedicated mail app for that and it is quite good, it also supports Exchange. Once you log into your Office 365 account in the Office app, you will have access to any email attachments that contain compatible files, within the Office app itself, of course and not the entire email, that's what the email client is for, just like every single mobile platform does it. To email a file from the Office app, you simply select the file you want to send, click on Share, choose email (you can also send it to DropBox, Box, BB Chat, Skype, etc., pretty much any app really that can handle files), then select the account you want to use, Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, Exchange, 365, etc., find or fill in the contacts email address manually, add a subject and hit send. Why does the email client have to be embedded within the Office app itself, I don’t understand why that would be so beneficial, that would also mean I would have to deal with two separate email programs. By the way the, the email client and Office app are very tightly integrated with each other, as well as OneDrive.

 

His comment regarding the email app icon size was border line retarded, the email app with the small icon contains the emails for the account you used to setup your phone, most of the time it's a new Hotmail account, not important. It's not until you start adding your normal, every day email accounts from, Google, Yahoo, Exchange Server, AOL ,ect, that WM8 will then create a large email app icon for each account. If you don’t want a bunch email app icons polluting your home screen, then you can also link them all into one, or you can link all of your work email accounts into one and then link the rest into another one. You can also change the size of the icon to whatever you want, like it big, you can make it where the icon takes up two entire rows, enough for 12 small icons. 
 
The calendar app in Windows Mobile works just fine, the comment about the monthly view being useless was unfounded, the reviewer just didn’t spend anytime actually learning how to use it. The Monthly view only shows that there are appointments scheduled and not the actual particulars, it would be too small to actually read it, so to view that information just click on the day with the appointments your interested in and a little pane will slide down, as shown in the screenshot below;

 

 

 

There are better calendar apps for WM8, for instance I use a program called VsysCalendar 365  and as you can see from the screenshots below, the month view is a lot more detailed. There's about 6 really good calendar apps to choose from. Also amusing, the calendar app the reviewer is using as a comparison is a Samsung app, not a Google app as he so staunchly stated. As far as it being better then the iOS or WM8, no, it's just his opinion, I can keep track of all of my appointments just fine using an iPad or my Nokia 1020.

 

 

Plus, there are also very handy live tiles that show upcoming appointments, month and week, another complaint from the reviewer.

 

 

 

A screenshot of an app called WeekView;

 

 

There were also a few apps that he claimed didn't exist and I would like to go over some of them. 

 

Logitech Alert, though there is no app directly from Logitech for WM8, IP Camera Viewer can be used with every camera in Logitech's Alert lineup, specifically the 750i and 750e and you can set it up to save the footage directly to a shared folder in OneDrive, which is an awesome feature if you ever need to share the footage with any law enforcement, Logitech even tells their customers to use it but here's the kicker, the reason why there is no dedicated app is because Logitech has discontinued the line, no more Logitech Alert, so what the hell is this guy going on about, I can't believe he is bitching about something that has been discontinued.
 
Withings, okay,the Withings Wireless Blood Preasure is brand new, prior to the wireless version it had a 30pin cable which obviously meant it was only compatible with the iPad and iPhone. However, their new wireless version, like with Withings wireless scale is compatible with Microsoft HealthVault. Withings even states on their website why they didn't make a stand alone app for the Windows Mobile platform, because they worked closely with Microsoft to make HealthVault their app of choice, from their website, "Withings creates connected devices that improve health, fitness and well-being. Withings devices can connect to Microsoft Health Vault to update your key health indicators in real time and wireless." This review was actually a good thing for me because I was introduced to this wonderful device and Microsoft HealthVault, it's fantastic, I have been adding my details to it all morning and will defiantly be buying on those Wireless Blood Pressure devices. 
 
Nokia Here Drive, why does this reviewer keep talking about the lamest little annoyances possible, yes he's correct, when your downloading a map you have to keep it on the downloader or it pauses, here's the thing though, when you come back you can click continue, you don’t loose anything that you had already downloaded. I deleted the maps I had and downloaded Switzerland again, a 180mb download, it took 2 minutes, 34 seconds, wow, a whole 2 minutes and 34 seconds, what could you possibly have going on in your life that you just had to do something else, did this guy take to much of his ADD medication and can't sit still or what. He also didn’t talk as to why the app was good, just that it was good. How about the fact that you can even download maps for an entire country in the fist place,  for free for Gods's sake. Apple only allows their users to download a 50 square mile radius, Google is the same thing but they also allow up to 6 x 50 square mile. No, the reviewer just said that Nokia Maps was on par with Apple and Google maps and complained that you have to sit there and wait a whole 00:02:34, this guys sucks. 
 
Dropbox, there is no native DropBox app for WM8, I don't know why but who really cares when there are many decent third party apps that work just as fine. If you really want to use a native DropBox app on the WM8 because of security concerns, there is a program called simply, "Web Apps", it's awesome. What it does is, it takes a web app from off of the net and then wraps it in a WM8 HTML5 framework, so it looks and acts like a native app. Seriously, you can't tell the difference, it's perfect for Google apps on WM8 because there are no native Google apps, great for things like Google+, Google Calendar, Google Keep, etc. Anyway, "Web Apps" also has a store that looks like the WM8 store and in it, is DropBox, works and looks identical to the one in iOS. Personally though, I don’t like installing or using stand alone cloud storage apps, I prefer using a program where I can access them all in one place. I use FileBrowser in iOS, ES File Explorer in Android and for WM8 I use CloudMesh, I can access not only DropBox but the rest of my cloud accounts as well, even my local data.
 
I think those were the biggies he had a problem with. I didn't like the review, it was sloppy and pointless. Most reviewers when trying out a new platform will try and live with the device as their main for at least a few days to see how it goes. This guy basically up a Windows phone, put his Samsung Galaxy next to it and then went through a check list, yep has that app, nope doesn’t have that app. No only that but he chose some really obscure apps that weren't on the platform to complain about, Witherings blood pressure app, huh. Not only that but he didn’t really talk about what it was like to actually use the platform, did it lag, was the display resolution okay, there wasn't even a comment about battery life, nothing. Instead he just complained about icon sizes and that the map app wasn't able to download in the background. For shitt's and giggles I read some of his other articles, his writing style is just bizarre, a very angry man this guy is, here's something that you might find funny, the article before this one, Six Clicks: Six ways Windows Phone is better than iPhone Give me a break, first you try to tell us that Windows Phone is great then give it a crap rating in the very next article, yeah okay buddy, last time I'm going to read anything by this guy.
 
Thank you so much though for sharing it with me anyway, it was defiantly entertaining. 
 


Edited by Relic - 8/17/14 at 3:59am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #167 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Backpedal, what are you talking about, I was replying to SpamSandwich who was suggesting that I watch my back for having movies in my Google Drive. I posted a link to a government study that shows that they don't go after people for such things. I wasn't back pedaling anything.

 

I teasingly said my family is a bunch of pirates, but it isn't pirating when you own the media that your ripping is it.  Again your jumping to conclusions, the reasons why others didn't scold me is because they have been here for a while and they know me, Again I suggest you get to know us before calling us out on something that you misinterpret or your stay here is going to be very unpleasant.

 

"My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10."  I thought I didn't need to say that those DVD's and BlueRays were ours as it's pretty obvious and I didn't say that they were downloaded from a torrent site. I would have been a lot more cordial and just called the whole situation a misunderstanding but you made it personal by calling me a thief, as a newbie you need to be a little more careful in the future, okay. 
 

 

You advocated piracy (and bragged about how your government allowed it) and that's enough for me  (and again I'm not even sure I'm buying your "but i didn't do it" story anyway)

Second before you make leaping conclusions, no the bit torrent is alive and well and the majority of packets are caring copyrighted material (illegally un less I guess your country passes a law that make stealing "for personal use"  legal)

You be a little more careful next time eh?

post #168 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Backpedal, what are you talking about, I was replying to SpamSandwich who was suggesting that I watch my back for having movies in my Google Drive. I posted a link to a government study that shows that they don't go after people for such things. I wasn't back pedaling anything.

 

I teasingly said my family is a bunch of pirates, but it isn't pirating when you own the media that your ripping is it.  Again your jumping to conclusions, the reasons why others didn't scold me is because they have been here for a while and they know me, Again I suggest you get to know us before calling us out on something that you misinterpret or your stay here is going to be very unpleasant.

 

"My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10."  I thought I didn't need to say that those DVD's and BlueRays were ours as it's pretty obvious and I didn't say that they were downloaded from a torrent site. I would have been a lot more cordial and just called the whole situation a misunderstanding but you made it personal by calling me a thief, as a newbie you need to be a little more careful in the future, okay. 
 

 

You advocated piracy (and bragged about how your government allowed it) and that's enough for me  (and again I'm not even sure I'm buying your "but i didn't do it" story anyway)

Second before you make leaping conclusions, no the bit torrent is alive and well and the majority of packets are caring copyrighted material (illegally un less I guess your country passes a law that make stealing "for personal use"  legal)

You be a little more careful next time eh?

 

I wouldn't call ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays pirating, even if it isn't allowed legally.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #169 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wouldn't call ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays pirating, even if it isn't allowed legally.

It is piracy if the file or physical media is given to someone else.
post #170 of 292

The reason unlocking copy protection is illegal is that is the only protection the owners have from it being "shared". Once it is "unlocked" it is up on sharing sites (and the bit torrent) normally with days (or even hours) of release.

 

I notice you pick carefully amongst the things you said to rebut, you clearly advocated "sharing". That is thievery my friend.

If you don't like that label, stop advocating it.

 

 

P.S.

Ooops I though that was from Relic not BF, Benjamin I have no idea whether you advocate piracy, but "sharing" copyrighted work (outside the agreement of use) is stealing.

Copy protection is the only defense that content owners have. In a perfect world there wouldn't be any copy protection (and trust me the content owners are not trying to stop you from making a backup or using content that you have bought on all your devices as witnessed by current trends allowing you to DL an electronic copy for your other devices)

 

However people (apparently, a large number) are thieves so copy protection is a reality and breaking that copy protection is (in most places) and should be against the law. You DO NOT "own" the content you bought on that disk, you only purchased rights to watch it, in your home, from that disk.


Edited by IndyFX - 8/16/14 at 9:30am
post #171 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wouldn't call ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays pirating, even if it isn't allowed legally.

It is piracy if the file or physical media is given to someone else.

 

I remember sharing mix-tapes as a boy. Guess it was illegal, though I don't think we were even aware of the legalities at the time. I certainly wouldn't call Relic sharing her media with her family pirating, or even her friends. If she went and sold them en masse to strangers, of course.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #172 of 292

Sorry Benjamin, I realized you were not Relic and added a post script, to my reply.

Guess I was editing as you posted

 

However "sharing" an electronic copy between "friends" is outside the licensing and therefore illegal.

You could loan a disk to someone but allowing multiple people electronic access is clearly illegal (whether for profit or not)

 

Stealing (distributing) intellectual property is theft plain and simple.


Edited by IndyFX - 8/16/14 at 9:38am
post #173 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 

Sorry Benjamin, I realized you were not Relic and added a post script, to my reply.

Guess I was editing as you posted

 

However "sharing" an electronic copy between "friends" is outside the licensing and therefore illegal.

You could loan a disk to someone but allowing multiple people electronic access is clearly illegal (whether for profit or not)

 

Stealing (distributing) intellectual property is theft plain and simple.

 

That's a silly viewpoint. Apple even go out of their way to make it easier to share media between multiple people for free, and will be making it easier still with Family Sharing in iOS 8/Mac OS X X.X. By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple.'

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #174 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 

 

You advocated piracy (and bragged about how your government allowed it) and that's enough for me  (and again I'm not even sure I'm buying your "but i didn't do it" story anyway)

Second before you make leaping conclusions, no the bit torrent is alive and well and the majority of packets are caring copyrighted material (illegally un less I guess your country passes a law that make stealing "for personal use"  legal)

You be a little more careful next time eh?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 

Sorry Benjamin, I realized you were not Relic and added a post script, to my reply.

Guess I was editing as you posted

 

However "sharing" an electronic copy between "friends" is outside the licensing and therefore illegal.

You could loan a disk to someone but allowing multiple people electronic access is clearly illegal (whether for profit or not)

 

Stealing (distributing) intellectual property is theft plain and simple.

 

Well it's like this, we can go back and forth till our heads explode but at the end of the day I am following the laws as stated by my government not yours. So if you have problem with me taking media that I already own, transferring it to a different medium, then upload said media to a private cloud server for my immediate family too enjoy, on a modern day delivery system like a tablet, because of some outdated law your country imposes on you, well, just leave me out of it, it's your problem not mine. I know it's difficult to imagine that there are countries out there that aren't under the US's thumb like the UK is, where they allow your DMCA to break down peoples doors in the middle of the night to arrest some child for sharing a copy of the new JZ Album. If you think I am a pirate and a thief, hey that's your prerogative but again keep it to your self. Your a new member, you don't know me, you don't know that my children seen almost every film at the theaters that they have a copy of the DVD or Blue-ray for, do you know how much I've spent keeping some grip on the set of Walking Dead employed.

 

Do you also even know why my children and I even transferred our movie collection to the cloud for in the first place. I have breast cancer and I spend a lot of time in the hospital, so I can't take a hundred DVD's and Blu-Ray's with me. My children with a little help from their friends spent almost an entire week during their vacation time to make sure that I would have some movies to watch. So you go right ahead and start in again about my low moral compass and how I'm evil incarnate for not following some silly old rule, imposed by a county that I'm not even a citizen of, all the while owning a physical copy of every film that is uploaded to my private cloud storage where the public has no access too, but maybe before you do, you can, I don't know, just let it go.

 

Let me ask you a question does your girlfriend or wife where a Shawl over her face when she goes out in public, why not, in Saudi Arabia they have too, oh that law doesn't apply to you because you don't live in that country, exactly. Our government and citizens voted against your pirating laws and allowing your government to step into our country too dictate what needs to be done to would be pirates, who the majority of by the way are under 18. You don't think that these laws and policies that your government have imposed on you are just a little archaic and don't do a damn thing to deter people, it's all about power and control. Because here's the kicker, even though our laws are lax we still have one of the lowest piracy rates in the world, how is that possible, because everyone knows you need the fear of black helicopters coming in the middle of the night to snatch up our pirating children to deter people from downloading.

 

Was it so important to you that I get branded as a thief, so you could simply win some stupid Internet argument or show the others that this is the kind of treatment that people deserve for reimagining the use of media that they paid for in the first place. Wouldn't it have been wiser to maybe, I don't know get to know the people in this forum first before you decided to lash out at any one of them. I never understood why people find it necessary to impose their will onto everyone they come across that they don't agree with. The sad part about it is, IndyFX, I'm a really nice person and a lot of fun to talk with but since you decided to call me a thief because of some silly belief system and laws that had nothing to do with this thread from the get go, you just wanted to start an argument to make you look like you have this great moral code that everyone should stop and take notice off. So after we're finished here I no longer want anything to do with you, I'm blocking your user ID and before you do this to more people on this forum, I suggest you be a little more careful in the future. AppleInsider isn't your typical computer forum, we strive to create relationships with our members, not simply drop in every once in a while, call someone an a**hole and then leave again. If that's your goal here then I suggest you find a different place to call home. I'm done now, so here it is, you win, I'm a thief according to the laws of your country. Now can we drop it and get on with our lives.


Edited by Relic - 8/16/14 at 2:08pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #175 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

That's a silly viewpoint. Apple even go out of their way to make it easier to share media between multiple people for free, and will be making it easier still with Family Sharing in iOS 8/Mac OS X X.X. By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple.'

Nope and nope.

First if licening allows you to copy files it in a particular way (like Apple's family licensing) then obviously it's not.

 

Second it not a crime to loan a friend book or a dvd, however if you photocopy a book and give that to a friend, then yes it is (though not too serious since it only involves one copy)

However (and this is a big however) digital distribution IS considered (by most civilized countries) as a serious breech because literally thousands of copies can be distributed, each as good as the original.

post #176 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

That's a silly viewpoint. Apple even go out of their way to make it easier to share media between multiple people for free, and will be making it easier still with Family Sharing in iOS 8/Mac OS X X.X. By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple.'

Nope and nope.

First if licening allows you to copy files it in a particular way (like Apple's family licensing) then obviously it's not.

 

Second it not a crime to loan a friend book or a dvd, however if you photocopy a book and give that to a friend, then yes it is (though not too serious since it only involves one copy)

However (and this is a big however) digital distribution IS considered (by most civilized countries) as a serious breech because literally thousands of copies can be distributed, each as good as the original.

 

Try reading what I write before spouting off.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #177 of 292

"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

Try reading what I write before spouting off.

"By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple"

 

​I did and responded accordingly.

No loaning some a book (or a dvd) is not the same thing, nor is your Apple family sharing example.

post #178 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 

"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

Try reading what I write before spouting off.

"By your reasoning, if I gave a book I owned to a friend, that's 'theft plain and simple"

 

​I did and responded accordingly.

No loaning some a book (or a dvd) is not the same thing, nor is your Apple family sharing example.

 

No, you didn't respond accordingly, because if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I regarded mass copying as piracy. Sharing things amongst friends and family is not mass copying.


Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/16/14 at 5:24pm
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #179 of 292

What you "regard... as privacy (sic)" isn't the same thing as what the law defines as copyright infringement.

 

Copying a music or movie file and giving it to a friend when the license for that file does not allow you to do that is copyright infringement, which is commonly equated to "theft, plain and simple".  Doesn't matter if you call it mass copying or not.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #180 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 

What you "regard... as privacy (sic)" isn't the same thing as what the law defines as copyright infringement.

 

Copying a music or movie file and giving it to a friend when the license for that file does not allow you to do that is copyright infringement, which is commonly equated to "theft, plain and simple".  Doesn't matter if you call it mass copying or not.

 

Yeah, I covered that stuff earlier. Try and keep up; it gets boring repeating things for the ignorant.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #181 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

No, you didn't respond accordingly, because if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I regarded mass copying as piracy. Sharing things amongst friends and family is not mass copying.

Loaning a book (or DVD) is not copying so your example is flawed.

post #182 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

No, you didn't respond accordingly, because if you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I regarded mass copying as piracy. Sharing things amongst friends and family is not mass copying.

Loaning a book (or DVD) is not copying so your example is flawed.

 

We seem to be going round in circles. It's a matter of principle. The letter of the law states that it is illegal to share media between even a husband and wife if it means ripping a DVD or copying digital media. In that respect, the law is an ass. Apple recognises that, which is why they have come up with a clever and practical way to share your media amongst your family.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #183 of 292

Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

 

 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #184 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.


 

Like the sound effects. Now if only it were an iPhone, I would bite like the fish featured.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #185 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

[vid]

1) That's a great ad. Colorful with motion yet simple without obscuring the point of the ad.

2) I think it's great they are making waterproof phones but I'm not sure I'd green light creating apps that encourage people to submerse their phones unless I was very confident that it was completely waterproof even after use and abuse.

3) Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #186 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sorry for interrupting this riveting conversation but have you guys seen this super cute new Sony commercial for their Goldie app, showing off how waterproof their phones are.

[vid]

1) That's a great ad. Colorful with motion yet simple without obscuring the point of the ad.

2) I think it's great they are making waterproof phones but I'm not sure I'd green light creating apps that encourage people to submerse their phones unless I was very confident that it was completely waterproof even after use and abuse.

3) Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?

Good questions, for once. It's a relief to see you come to your senses when you're on more comfortable ground.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #187 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good questions, for once.

Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ 1rolleyes.gif

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #188 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good questions, for once.

Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ 1rolleyes.gif

No need for the sarcasm.

You've got to admit, you've had quite the desert of good questions for the past couple of days. It's unlike you.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #189 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you know how the waterproof their phones? A protective spray and/or sealed components? Do you know if you need to insert a rubber stop over the USB port before submerging it?

You need to cover the holes with rubber plugs. It has an Ingress Protection rating of 55/58, submerge to 1.5 meters*
Quote:




But don’t forget the covers…
As well as making sure you familiarise yourself with the IP rating of your device, you must
remember to firmly close all covers before testing its water and dust resistance. This
includes the covers for the micro USB port, the SIM card slot, the memory card slot and
the headphone jack, if applicable.

You should also make sure that no hairs or other small objects get caught between the
covers and the seals when you close them. Not doing so may seriously damage your
device.




* * (1) In compliance with IP55 and IP58, the Xperia ZR is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1.5 metres of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP58. The phone is not designed to float or work submerged underwater outside the IP55 or IP58 classification range. This may void your warranty. Get the full story.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #190 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

"Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed"

That's a problem for being an Apple product. I doubt Apple will go that route for waterproofing their devices until you don't need to do that to make it water-resistant. Even then I would expect them to advertise it basically being splash resistant without any claim for being able to be submerged to specific depths to 1) protect themselves, and 2) under promise and over deliver as their tech will get tested on Day 0 to their limitations.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #191 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a problem for being an Apple product. I doubt Apple will go that route for waterproofing their devices until you don't need to do that to make it water-resistant. Even then I would expect them to advertise it basically being splash resistant without any claim for being able to be submerged to specific depths to 1) protect themselves, and 2) under promise and over deliver as their tech will get tested on Day 0 to their limitations.

That's okay, my iPad is mostly stationary but if I would have the need to take it outside, I would most defiantly get an OtterBox like the one I have for my Kindle HDX. Have you guys seen these cases, they basically make your tablet into a tank. Here is what mine looks like;

69ddfdb1eb4d.jpg

B007IV7KRU_lg.jpg

Otter of course has an iPad version or I wouldn't be recommendng one, just be prepared to pay upwards of 100 bucks for it, price of being tough and owning an iPad I guess. However it is worth every penny, especially for someone with an active life style, don't bother with the rest when you can have the best.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #192 of 292

Benjamin, You constantly try to obscure your argument by making it between a man and wife. (i.e. nuclear family) The law is clear, making copies of copyrighted works for friends is a clear violation of the law (at least in most civilized countries)

Apple's "family sharing" makes no mention of giving copies of anything to friends. (https://www.apple.com/ios/ios8/family-sharing/)


You somehow want to make copying copyrighted work "OK". it isn't, it's stealing. Look at it this way, lets say everyone does what you do, just gives a copy of a film to "a couple friends" that means the potential for, say, a D2D production (to simplify math) could possibly be half to a quarter what it would be if people (like you) didn't feel entitled to copy. Many projects simply won't get made because the possible revenue is being siphoned off by people "sharing with friends".

post #193 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Yep, the only time I've ever had a good question¡ 1rolleyes.gif

 

Wow, so do you like just drool on yourself all day, just staring at your MacBook, with a disturbing blank expression on your face, contemplating your next AppleInsider response, but no questions, God forbid it be a question. Do you also have to wear a helmet to protect your noggin. Does your mom dress you in the morning, comb your hair, tie your shoes, etc. How do you function, you poor, poor thing. :p 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #194 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

.at least in most civilized countries

You're saying Switzerland isn't a civilized country? I think if you keep up your stance on copyright issues you're bound to gain any credibility. From anyone, not just limited to this website.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #195 of 292

Boogie, you might want to proofread your last post. :)

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #196 of 292
@Relic

Once again, thanks for the effort and the great write up regarding the flaws in the review I pointed to.

You actually caused me once again to find the time to take a look at the new devices, both Surface and Nokia phones running 8.1... and then this pops up in me news feed from ArsTechnica.com:

After Blue Screen of Death reports, Microsoft says to uninstall recent patch
Company quietly revises a security bulletin and opens an investigation.

Ars is probably one of the only decent, reliable, and (most of the time) unbiased tech sites out there... meaning, this is not from the Hit-Whore-Clowns over at ZDnet or Cnet.

The above is exactly what causes me to pause trying Windows or recommending it to anyone else, because I'm going to be on the front line trying to repair this. If it's my own machine... whatever, and I enjoy a challenge... some days and when I have the time. But then again, wouldn't my time be better spent showing people how to enjoy their devices and add to their knowledge, rather than repeating the same old BS excuse, "wait until I get this snafu fixed first".

We're talking a SECURITY update here(!) I want people to TRUST these above all else and install them ASAP so that their not running around on the internet without a prophylactic against an in-the-wild security bug disease.

Alas... once again, I have to warn people NOT to update, and wait 'til I have the time to investigate or hear of any problems first.

This is not a Beta, or a version 1 of a new system where I advise "patience". Also... look at that same-o BS 1990's recovery sequence(!!!!) I get aggressive just thinking of running into this mess again.

Sorry. As great as you make it sound to give Microsoft another chance (in my book), and as happy as I am for you that it dazzles and makes your day brighter***... I can't trust that it will do the same for me or for the other machines and people I'm responsible for. 1oyvey.gif

*** Sincerely, whatever makes your day brighter... I'm all for it... for you!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #197 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

@Relic

Once again, thanks for the effort and the great write up regarding the flaws in the review I pointed to.

You actually caused me once again to find the time to take a look at the new devices, both Surface and Nokia phones running 8.1... and then this pops up in me news feed from ArsTechnica.com:

After Blue Screen of Death reports, Microsoft says to uninstall recent patch
Company quietly revises a security bulletin and opens an investigation.

Ars is probably one of the only decent, reliable, and (most of the time) unbiased tech sites out there... meaning, this is not from the Hit-Whore-Clowns over at ZDnet or Cnet.

The above is exactly what causes me to pause trying Windows or recommending it to anyone else, because I'm going to be on the front line trying to repair this. If it's my own machine... whatever, and I enjoy a challenge... some days and when I have the time. But then again, wouldn't my time be better spent showing people how to enjoy their devices and add to their knowledge, rather than repeating the same old BS excuse, "wait until I get this snafu fixed first".

We're talking a SECURITY update here(!) I want people to TRUST these above all else and install them ASAP so that their not running around on the internet without a prophylactic against an in-the-wild security bug disease.

Alas... once again, I have to warn people NOT to update, and wait 'til I have the time to investigate or hear of any problems first.

This is not a Beta, or a version 1 of a new system where I advise "patience". Also... look at that same-o BS 1990's recovery sequence(!!!!) I get aggressive just thinking of running into this mess again.

Sorry. As great as you make it sound to give Microsoft another chance (in my book), and as happy as I am for you that it dazzles and makes your day brighter***... I can't trust that it will do the same for me or for the other machines and people I'm responsible for. 1oyvey.gif

*** Sincerely, whatever makes your day brighter... I'm all for it... for you!

 

Fair enough but just know that faulty security update was for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, not Windows 8 and the community found a work around very quickly, but I get your point none the less. Microsoft at least acknowledged the problem and are working on it, what more can you ask for.


Edited by Relic - 8/18/14 at 3:38am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #198 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


You're saying Switzerland isn't a civilized country? I think if you keep up your stance on copyright issues you're bound to gain any credibility. From anyone, not just limited to this website.

...... to loose any and all, not gain.;) 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #199 of 292
Thanks for pointing out my stupid dumbness.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #200 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for pointing out my stupid dumbness.

I think you're being a little hard on yourself. Just a little absent-mindedness. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads