or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring

Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring

post #1 of 57
The latest series of leaked parts show a number of components claimed to be for a future "iPhone 6," including more evidence of an embedded rear logo, along with an assortment of internal cables, and what could be a closer look at the ring that will cover the device's rear camera lens.

Photos via Nowhereelse.fr.

The long list of parts were revealed on Monday by Nowhereelse.fr. Most notably is a single flat metal piece with the Apple logo emblazoned on it, suggesting that the logo will be its own embedded component on the new device.

Also included is what appears to be an external camera ring, though the likelihood of the next iPhone featuring a protruding lens seems suspect. It's possible that the component -- or all of the parts -- could actually be for a next-generation iPod touch, as the current fifth-generation model does feature a protruding lens.

The other parts appear to show mounting brackets for Apple's future device, whether it be an iPhone or iPod. They include a headphone jack hole, support around a home button, as well as a space for a Lightning connector, all of them lacking any electrical components.

While minor, many of the parts pictured on Monday are the closest look yet at some of the smaller components expected to be found in Apple's next iPhone. Purported "iPhone 6" parts have been regularly leaking online for weeks, as Apple is believed to have begun ramping up production of the handset ahead of an anticipated debut next month.

Most recently, images showing what was claimed to be an assembled 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" display were leaked over the weekend. They showed the screen complete with cover glass, mounting structures and flex cables.

Apple is expected to hold a media event on Tuesday, Sept. 9 where it will debut the so-called "iPhone 6" to the public for the first time. Rumors have pegged Apple as launching two models with larger screen sizes: a 4.7-inch model, and a jumbo-sized 5.5-inch variant.

If Apple holds with its usual annual release pattern, the next iPhone would become available to own the following Friday, Sept. 19. But some recent rumors have suggested that the 5.5-inch model may be facing production issues that could lead to a slightly later debut for that version.
post #2 of 57
Take notice leakers- that's how it's done. With rulers.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #3 of 57

here we come....

post #4 of 57

If the apple logo is part of the phone, it suggest to me that phone is plastic, you do not have logo insert like that for a metal phone.

post #5 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

If the apple logo is part of the phone, it suggest to me that phone is plastic, you do not have logo insert like that for a metal phone.

Why not?  The iPads have this insert...why would it affect the phone any differently?

post #6 of 57
Likely the protruding camera ring is only on the 5.5" model.. thats the one that showed this ring in the 3D rendering leaked months ago..

It does look like the 5.5" will have the OIS, Sapphire, and more storage (64/128GB) and a few other hardware 'perks' over the 4.7"..

I have a sneaky suspicion they are going the way they have with the Mackbook line..

We used to have
- Macbook Classic (White plastic)
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro

I think we're going the below with $50 bump between storage versions
- iPhone Classic (4", 16/32GB) $99/$149
- iPhone Air (4.7" 32/64GB) $199/$249
- iPhone Pro(5.5" 64/128GB) $299/$349

I say the $50 bump because they just did that with the iPod Touch line a month ago.. plus a $50 premium bump to get into the next size (64GB 4.7" vs 64GB 5.5")

With the 128GB 5.5" only, and premium features like OIS (Ring kind of proving it) and Sapphire rumors.. Plus iPod storage price changes.. The rumors are lining up to look like this anyway...
Edited by Adrayven - 8/11/14 at 6:07am
post #7 of 57
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Take notice leakers- that's how it's done. With rulers.

I was going to say something similar.

“Finally a ruler! But on parts whose sizes we couldn’t in a lifetime care about.” :lol:

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Likely the protruding camera ring is only on the 5.5" model.. thats the one that showed this ring in the 3D rendering leaked months ago..

It does look like the 5.5" will have the OIS, Sapphire, and more storage (64/128GB) and a few other hardware 'perks' over the 4.7"..

I have a sneaky suspicion they are going the way they have with the Mackbook line..

We used to have
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro

I say the $50 bump because they just did that with the iPod Touch line a month ago.. plus a $50 premium bump to get into the next size (64GB 4.7" vs 64GB 5.5")

With the 128GB 5.5" only, and premium features like OIS (Ring kind of proving it) and Sapphire rumors.. Plus iPod storage price changes.. The rumors are lining up to look like this anyway...

Like your prediction.

heres mine:

iPhone 5C - $400 unlocked (only in China, India, ect)

iPhone Color  $99/$149 - 16/32 GB, A7, Touch ID, 4 inch (basically the 5S in plastic)

iPhone $199/$299/$399 - 32/64/128, A8, 4.7 screen

iPhone Pro $299/$399/$499 - 32/64/128, 5.5 screen

I don't think Apple will ditch the $100 increments for memory. 

Its such a cash cow for them.

I think they will get rid of the number designation for the iPhoneC.  They will just use the last generations internals throw it in a plastic shell and call it iPhone Color.

post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:

We used to have
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro

Like your prediction.

heres mine:

iPhone Color  $99/$149 - 16/32 GB, A7, Touch ID, 4 inch (basically the 5S in plastic)

I think they will get rid of the number designation for the iPhoneC.  They will just use the last generations internals throw it in a plastic shell and call it iPhone Color.

Only if they wish to rile their English masters by using the US version of 'colour.'

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #10 of 57
Quote:

Like your prediction.

heres mine:

I really hope Apple keeps as many features the same between the alleged 4.7 and 5.5. Don't pull an HTC "One vs. One Mini" stunt and offer a slower processor and worse camera for the physically smaller phone. I realize the 5.5 can have a much larger battery and perhaps more interior space for better camera, speakers, etc. but don't intentionally degrade it. I won't go for the 5.5 after playing with my friends' Samsung Galaxy's, Notes, etc.

post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post

I really hope Apple keeps as many features the same between the alleged 4.7 and 5.5. Don't pull an HTC "One vs. One Mini" stunt and offer a slower processor and worse camera for the physically smaller phone. I realize the 5.5 can have a much larger battery and perhaps more interior space for better camera, speakers, etc. but don't intentionally degrade it. I won't go for the 5.5 after playing with my friends' Samsung Galaxy's, Notes, etc.

I don't think the internals will be very much different.  Maybe slightly faster chip to move more pixels

I think the $100 premium will be for a larger screen and possibly sapphire

post #12 of 57
Why are you people insistent there will be a 5.5"? Nothing supports this theory.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why are you people insistent there will be a 5.5"? Nothing supports this theory.

Agree.  Have we seen any credible leaks of a 5.5" iPhone?  None that I can recall. 

post #14 of 57
Quote:

Agreed. The only specs that are better on the iPad Air vs the retina mini are slightly faster processor and display with better color gamut. I don't think Apple should artificially limit either device. But I'd be curious to know what hardware technology (besides battery) would be suitable for a phablet but not the 4.7" device. Some rumor suggest the phablet would get better camera. Why? iPad Air doesn't have a better camera than the retina mini. It would be a shame if Apple did that.

post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Two lines of proof:

#1 Samsung has sold 100,000,000 phones that are 5 inches or bigger the last 3 years.  The phablet market is too big to ignore, especially in Apple's #1 growth market = China

#2 Proof of the 4.7 phone shows that Apple is stepping away from 1 handed use.  The 5.5 is just the next step

post #16 of 57
Quote:

Two lines of proof:

#1 Samsung has sold 100,000,000 phones that are 5 inches or bigger the last 3 years.  The phablet market is too big to ignore, especially in Apple's #1 growth market = China

#2 Proof of the 4.7 phone shows that Apple is stepping away from 1 handed use.  The 5.5 is just the next step
So basically no proof at all. 1wink.gif
post #17 of 57
Quote:

here we come....

He said, headphone "jack hole" teheheheehehehehe
post #18 of 57
Quote:

I don't think the internals will be very much different.  Maybe slightly faster chip to move more pixels

5s and 5c had significantly different internals.

Given that we've never seen a 4.7 and 5.5 set of parts side by side, I'm inclined to think that one of them will have lower specs.   I strongly sense that the larger one will be that lower specced device, and will have a 'c' set of colors. 

And I don't think Sapphire for the larger screen.   I think the 4.7 will be the flagship, and the 5.5 be the replacement for the 'c' series, and there be a 4.0. version fork for a couple of releases.  (we'll see one more turn of the A series chip crank on these next year).

Im not getting into the pricing model, as it's crazy at this moment.   I can see a 5c 5s 6c 6s product line, or I can see the 5c dropping and the 6c (larger screen, A7(x) processor) as the 'middle product.' 

post #19 of 57
Quote:

Two lines of proof:

#1... I agree with.   Just like the iPad Mini, the market defines the form factor

#2... I don't... totally, agree.   4 reasons

1)  _MOBILE_ phones are pocket/portable devices.  there is still a premium on small/capable:1 handed grab and use mode.*

2)  I don't see Apple trying to have 3 form factors in a device.  In every space they've evolved to 2.  (RIP 17" MBP).  Too many choices.

3)  4.7 may be 'big enough'  given Apples' glass quality (sapphire), and small enough (in theory it could be only .2" wider, and .4" taller)

4)  It's becoming more and more capable of "cutting the phone number 'cord'"  If you have LTE on a iPad Mini, and iOS 8 and beyond will drive more IP based voice communication through iMessage, and SMS gatewaying, it's a small step for Apple(Google/Skype) to offer iOS VOIP (heck, my guess is Apple could do it today, but the profits it gets from subsidies are greater than estimated iMessage VOIP subscriptions [and there is probably a long term non-compete with the carriers they are signing with... which will go away eventually, as we see with Skype and iMessage now able to make voice calls on LTE/4G networks without being blocked by some[Most?] carriers).  

Apple is your radio station, your email provider, your TV provider, and by extending iMessage, could be our VOIP provider.

*(although I see Siri, and touchID driving a large device to be much easier to use one handed.)

Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 8/11/14 at 8:37am
post #20 of 57

Remember that the iPhone 5C was basically the iPhone 5 repackaged with a plastic casing and a slightly better camera.

post #21 of 57
Features = space. As such I would fully expect that the large phone would have more features.

Quote:

I really hope Apple keeps as many features the same between the alleged 4.7 and 5.5. Don't pull an HTC "One vs. One Mini" stunt and offer a slower processor and worse camera for the physically smaller phone.
A faster processor and better camera is exactly what a larger phone could support.
Quote:
I realize the 5.5 can have a much larger battery and perhaps more interior space for better camera, speakers, etc. but don't intentionally degrade it. I won't go for the 5.5 after playing with my friends' Samsung Galaxy's, Notes, etc.
Degrade it? By definition the new phines would be an improvement over old phones. Honestly I'm hoping Apple comes out with an iPhone 4 sized phine with an A7 or A8 processor. I don't need a huge phone but an updated processor would be fantastic.
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But some recent rumors have suggested that the 5.5-inch model may be facing production issues that could lead to a slightly later debut for that version.

No. No. No. They are not getting off that easy. Some recent liars have backtracked and are throwing the cop-out "production issues" line to cover the fact that they were wrong about a 5.5" device existing, at all.

There never was a 5.5. I wouldn't put it past Apple to plant that info in the rumor mill on purpose, but all tangible evidence shows Apple is making 1 new flagship iPhone (like they have every single year since its inception) and its a 4.7". 1 new size, 1 new resolution, 1 new opportunity for developers.

There is no 5.5.

post #23 of 57
Quote:

Two lines of proof:

#1 Samsung has sold 100,000,000 phones that are 5 inches or bigger the last 3 years.

Where on earth did you get that number from? There is no such data anywhere that I am aware of.

Samsung has not clearly reported that info, so its impossible to even know it, regardless of what your 'source' is.

post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Agreed. The only specs that are better on the iPad Air vs the retina mini are slightly faster processor and display with better color gamut. I don't think Apple should artificially limit either device. But I'd be curious to know what hardware technology (besides battery) would be suitable for a phablet but not the 4.7" device. Some rumor suggest the phablet would get better camera. Why? iPad Air doesn't have a better camera than the retina mini. It would be a shame if Apple did that.

Why? Nikon does it all the time, that is market cameras with different capabilities. Beyond that Apple has a lot of customers that are at best idiots and would get all bent out of shape if their precious iPhone sprouted a bump to support a better camera. Put a good quality camera in one model and people that understand the how's and whys will gravitate to it. Those that have an emotional problem over a bump on the back side can stick with the lesser platform.
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So basically no proof at all. 1wink.gif

circumstantial evidence is a form of proof.

people get convicted on cirumstantial evidence all the time.

post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why? Nikon does it all the time, that is market cameras with different capabilities. Beyond that Apple has a lot of customers that are at best idiots and would get all bent out of shape if their precious iPhone sprouted a bump to support a better camera. Put a good quality camera in one model and people that understand the how's and whys will gravitate to it. Those that have an emotional problem over a bump on the back side can stick with the lesser platform.
To clarify my issue is not one phone having better specs than another, it's making people have to compromise on screen size. That's what Apple did away with when they announced new iPads last year. Currently Apple prices their iOS devices based on storage. More storage = more expensive. If they want to change that, fine. But what if I want the best camera tech but I don't want a phablet? IF Apple is doing both a 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone I think the two should be the same as much as possible so the only choice someone has to make is what size they want. Otherwise pick one size and make it Good/Better/Best and price it accordingly.
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Where on earth did you get that number from? There is no such data anywhere that I am aware of.

Samsung has not clearly reported that info, so its impossible to even know it, regardless of what your 'source' is.

Samsung sold 40 million S4 in 4 months

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/24/samsung-galaxy-s4-sales-40-million/

Galaxy Note sold 10 million

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-10m-galaxy-notes-sold-in-nine-months/

Galaxy Note 2 sold 30 million

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-GALAXY-Note-II-sells-30-million-units_id47911

Galaxy Note 3 sold 10 million as of 12/31/13

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sales-rocket-10-million-134547384.html

S5 sold 11 million

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-weve-sold-11m-galaxy-s5-since-launch/

That's a total of 101 million phones sold at 5 inches or larger.

This is very conservative.

If the Note3 sells as well as the Note2 than that figure goes up to 121 million

If the S5 sells as well as the S4 that figure goes up to 151 million

and don't forget they still sell the older versions of the Note and S-series.

As of right now a conservative guess would be 120-130 million units sold.

post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Given that we've never seen a 4.7 and 5.5 set of parts side by side, I'm inclined to think that one of them will have lower specs.   I strongly sense that the larger one will be that lower specced device, and will have a 'c' set of colors. 

And I don't think Sapphire for the larger screen.   I think the 4.7 will be the flagship, and the 5.5 be the replacement for the 'c' series, and there be a 4.0. version fork for a couple of releases.  (we'll see one more turn of the A series chip crank on these next year).

Im not getting into the pricing model, as it's crazy at this moment.   I can see a 5c 5s 6c 6s product line, or I can see the 5c dropping and the 6c (larger screen, A7(x) processor) as the 'middle product.' 
Why should screen size determine specs? They don't with iPads. Of course no matter what Apple does it will piss someone off but I think a lot fewer people would be pissed off if Apple didn't use size to determine which device got better specs (outside of obvious things like bigger battery). I still have this feeling that the larger device could come under the iPod umbrella. Apple didn't update iPods last year so either they're slowly killing them off or we'll see an new update this year. Perhaps the 5.5" display is meant for a new iPod touch?
post #29 of 57
Quote:

We used to have
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro

I see none of this happening as a 32 to 64,64 to 128 would be $100 jumps, as well if you have not noticed iPads are same hardware just $100 for screen, Mac book airs are $100 difference for just screen size, and apple seems to be merging product lines, notice no regular Mac book no longer, Mac book pro is now only 2 models and Mac book air is expected to merge to 1 12 inch model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was going to say something similar.

“Finally a ruler! But on parts whose sizes we couldn’t in a lifetime care about.” lol.gif
It's a start, at least we got some leak there.
Quote:

Like your prediction.

heres mine:

That is way too complicated, you notice these rumors are like Samsung, throw 5 product lines out there.
Quote:

Hope so too like Samsung S5 and S5 mini, hate the 5.1 inch size yet the smaller one is lower and only offered select markets.
Quote:

Doubt even that, saphire seems too expensive for a 4.7 not to mention a 5.5 .
Quote:

Two lines of proof:

#3 you made all this up and people hate there samsungs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This was original rumor and it makes more since if anything.
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

That is way too complicated, you notice these rumors are like Samsung, throw 5 product lines out there.

#3 you made all this up and people hate there samsungs.

Huh? There would only be 3 product lines in most countries - iPhoneColor/iPhone/iPhone pro.  Right now we also have 3 lines - 4S/5C/5S.  But in China/India they also have the old 4. 

Did not make up anything.  Look at my previous post for links that Samsung sold well over 100 million phones 5 inches or larger.

post #31 of 57

iPhone color?  iPhone Pro?  Please just go away....

post #32 of 57

These two parts look very liquid metal-like to me

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 57
Is that Apple logo clear plastic?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

iPhone color?  iPhone Pro?  Please just go away....

and why would i do that?

you probably though iPadAir was a dumb name too.

my predictions have been rock solid so far

Theres a very good reason to call it iPhone Color.

Agree iPhone Pro is stupid.

iPhone6X - 5.5 screen

iPhone6 - 4.7 screen

iPhone Color

Can you guess why the name iPhone Color is better than 5C?

post #35 of 57
As TheOtherGeoff pointed out in post 19, Apple could, technically, offer voice service over VOIP at any time—the only holdup would be not wanting to anger the carriers or possibly non-compete clauses (which will expire sometime).

What if the 5.5" device was just that—not an iPhone, but an ApplePhone? That is to say, an iPod Touch, but one that can make WiFi calls naturally, without jumping through hoops. It would probably offer an escape mode when you don't have WiFi, possibly a free subscription to some service like Consumer Cellular, where you only pay for the minutes you use.

I notice that the dpi of a 5.5" screen would only have to be increased about 22% over the current one for it to be full HD. One wonders if this unit might be optimized to order and watch content from iTunes, sort of like the Kindle Fire is for Amazon (although I don't think Apple would make it so in-your-face-and-useless-for-anything-else.) Perhaps they could lower the price somewhat below what one might expect in anticipation of media sales. (They could probably save a little money not having to have radios for every system on the planet, too). The cellular carrier's tears would certainly taste sweet!

I don't think there's more than a 1% chance Apple would do this, it's just what I would do—because that's just the kind of hairpin I am!
post #36 of 57
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Samsung sold 40 million S4 in 4 months
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/24/samsung-galaxy-s4-sales-40-million/

Galaxy Note sold 10 million
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-10m-galaxy-notes-sold-in-nine-months/

Galaxy Note 2 sold 30 million
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-GALAXY-Note-II-sells-30-million-units_id47911

Galaxy Note 3 sold 10 million as of 12/31/13
http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sales-rocket-10-million-134547384.html

S5 sold 11 million
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-weve-sold-11m-galaxy-s5-since-launch/

That's a total of 101 million phones sold at 5 inches or larger.
This is very conservative.

If the Note3 sells as well as the Note2 than that figure goes up to 121 million
If the S5 sells as well as the S4 that figure goes up to 151 million

and don't forget they still sell the older versions of the Note and S-series.
As of right now a conservative guess would be 120-130 million units sold.

Samsung have never released phone sales figures in their earnings reports, so as far as I'm concerned, they've sold zero phones of any description until told otherwise.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Samsung have never released phone sales figures in their earnings reports, so as far as I'm concerned, they've sold zero phones of any description until told otherwise.

So I guess Nokia never sold any phones? Neither blackberry, HTC, Xiaomi, ect?  Nobody release units numbers in the earnings report except Apple.

So i guess Disney didn't sell any copies of Frozen on Bluray because they didn't release the units sold on their earnings report?

So i guess Chiptole didn't sell any burritos  because they didn't release the units sold on their earnings report?

So i guess Tirerack didn't sell any tires  because they didn't release the units sold on their earnings report?

Believe what you want.

Samsung report 30.47 trillion Won of operating profit for 2013.

Which is about 29 billion US.

if you believe they made that much profit selling refridgerators you are delusional.

100,000,000 Notes/Galaxies the last 3 years isn't really that much.  That's basically 1/3 of what Apple sold.  Just from personal experience I see way more Notes/Galaxies the last 2 years than ever before.  It cannot be denied that Samsung has sold a very sizable amount of highend phones the last 3 years that have large screens.

Edited by sog35 - 8/11/14 at 1:54pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:

if you believe they made that much profit selling refridgerators you are delusional.

If you believe they made that much profit selling the big-screened top 10 or 20% of their phone line, giving a lot of them away buy-one-get-one-free from introduction day, you're delusional.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Why not?  The iPads have this insert...why would it affect the phone any differently?

because you would engrave the logo into metal if it was going to be metal, not if it was a insert like ipad it would be made of another material and the metal would be machine out or punched out to allow for the insert. Plus the insert has all short of machining marks which also tell me it not part of the final design a part like that would be formed not machine since machining is too time consuming and costly. It maybe a insert for a plastic injection module for a case.

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

These two parts look very liquid metal-like to me

They look like cast aluminium to me. There is no point using something with the properties of liquidmetal for something that won't be seen.

From what I have seen. Liquidmetal is shiny.

Much like the new inset Apple logo which according to a different website, is very hard to scratch.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring