or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring

Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Samsung have never released phone sales figures in their earnings reports, so as far as I'm concerned, they've sold zero phones of any description until told otherwise.

Nobody release units numbers in the earnings report except Apple.

You got there in the end.

You choose to go by the wild speculation of analyst reports; I choose to go by reported numbers.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You got there in the end.

You choose to go by the wild speculation of analyst reports; I choose to go by reported numbers.

No.  You choose to have your head in the sand.

If you don't think Samsung sold a ton of phablets you are in dreamland

You dont make 20 billion in profits selling refridgerators.  

You do that by selling premium smartphones and tens of milions of them a year.

post #43 of 57

Samsung has lied about the number of phones they have sold 

Fixed.

#2 Proof of the 4.7 phone shows that Apple is stepping away from 1 handed use.  The 5.5 is just the next step

4.7” on a thin enough device is usable with one hand. Nothing larger, however, is.

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
There is no point using something with the properties of liquidmetal for something that won't be seen.

Except certain alloys of LiquidMetal are radio transparent, so a phone body invisible to the radio waves its antenna needs would be pretty useful.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fixed.

4.7” on a thin enough device is usable with one hand. Nothing larger, however, is.

Except certain alloys of LiquidMetal are radio transparent, so a phone body invisible to the radio waves its antenna needs would be pretty useful.

Samsung made $24 billion in operating profit in 2013 for their mobile division.

Samsung made $18 billion in operating profit in 2012 for their mobile divsion.

So how did they make so much money if they didn't sell a ton of premium phones?

Tell me that.

below is their earnings release. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/ir/ireventpresentations/earningsrelease/downloads/2012/20140124_conference_eng.pdf

post #45 of 57
[quote name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/181771/plethora-of-

[/quote]

Wrong again buddy.

The 5S is too big for one handed use for many including me.
post #46 of 57

So how did they make so much money if they didn't sell a ton of premium phones?

Because they actually sell a ton of garbage phones, all around the world. The throwaway dumb ones.

The 5S is too big for one handed use for many including me.

I can certainly see that being the case; many women have tiny, almost delicate hands. Put one up to a man’s and it’s all, “Hey, your hands are tiny. And smooth. And your fingers are… wrapping around mine…”

However, that does not preclude the possibility of one-handed use with a larger device, as hands large enough to manage it do exist. But the bell curve must fall back down again, and therefore making a device to cater to Robert Wadlow-style hands is, of course, not happening.

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they actually sell a ton of garbage phones, all around the world. The throwaway dumb ones.

I can certainly see that being the case; many women have tiny, almost delicate hands. Put one up to a man’s and it’s all, “Hey, your hands are tiny. And smooth. And your fingers are… wrapping around mine…”

However, that does not preclude the possibility of one-handed use with a larger device, as hands large enough to manage it do exist. But the bell curve must fall back down again, and therefore making a device to cater to Robert Wadlow-style hands is, of course, not happening.

Nokia also sells a ton of cheap phones. But they dont make tens of billions of dollars.

Samsung sells at least 50 million large phones a year.
post #48 of 57
Nokia also sells a ton of cheap phones. But they dont make tens of billions of dollars.

There’s garbage and there’s garbage. A phone can be of the same quality, but if the margins are different…

Samsung sells at least 50 million large phones a year. 

They sell at least [citation needed] [insert category] phones per year.

post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Likely the protruding camera ring is only on the 5.5" model.. thats the one that showed this ring in the 3D rendering leaked months ago..

It does look like the 5.5" will have the OIS, Sapphire, and more storage (64/128GB) and a few other hardware 'perks' over the 4.7"..

I have a sneaky suspicion they are going the way they have with the Mackbook line..

We used to have
- Macbook Classic (White plastic)
- Macbook Air
- Macbook Pro

I think we're going the below with $50 bump between storage versions
- iPhone Classic (4", 16/32GB) $99/$149
- iPhone Air (4.7" 32/64GB) $199/$249
- iPhone Pro(5.5" 64/128GB) $299/$349

I say the $50 bump because they just did that with the iPod Touch line a month ago.. plus a $50 premium bump to get into the next size (64GB 4.7" vs 64GB 5.5")

With the 128GB 5.5" only, and premium features like OIS (Ring kind of proving it) and Sapphire rumors.. Plus iPod storage price changes.. The rumors are lining up to look like this anyway...
Keep dreaming...for 32GB starter: It wont happen. Also, 5.5" if it happens, starts at $299 for 16GB too
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

If you believe they made that much profit selling the big-screened top 10 or 20% of their phone line, giving a lot of them away buy-one-get-one-free from introduction day, you're delusional.

BOGO promotions are done by the carrier not the manufacturer.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

BOGO promotions are done by the carrier not the manufacturer.

Not necessarily. In order to make the product cost low enough so that BOGO becomes an effective marketing tool the retailer and manufacturer can work out deals for lower prices which could prevent the retailer from shipping back unused merchandise that can't move.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #52 of 57
I really am enjoying the war between TS and Sog35. It a classic, right up there with Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, Betamax vs. VHS, Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD.

It's a pity the war will stop once the new iPhones are announced.

God, I hope not!
post #53 of 57
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

TEAM JACOB! No. Never. In any capacity. Disregard this entirely.

post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I really am enjoying the war between TS and Sog35. It a classic, right up there with Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant, Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, Betamax vs. VHS, Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD.

God, I hope not!

Why would it end then?

We are destined to battle FOREVER!

post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not necessarily. In order to make the product cost low enough so that BOGO becomes an effective marketing tool the retailer and manufacturer can work out deals for lower prices which could prevent the retailer from shipping back unused merchandise that can't move.

That's understandable, but the OP was referring to a BOGO offer on launch day. In the case there's no unsold merchandise that isn't moving.
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's understandable, but the OP was referring to a BOGO offer on launch day. In the case there's no unsold merchandise that isn't moving.

It could still happen as it's unlikely that a retailer would order so much excess and be aware of it immediately. I'd say that a BOGO out of the gate is likely a vendor giving a retailer a special deal on pricing to move more units to make up some goal before the end of a quarter (or whatever), or just trying to make consumer interest look better in hopes that it starts a chain reaction. But really don't know as it's a complex dance that may not have what I would consider a logical reason attached to it.

post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It could still happen as it's unlikely that a retailer would order so much excess and be aware of it immediately. I'd say that a BOGO out of the gate is likely a vendor giving a retailer a special deal on pricing to move more units to make up some goal before the end of a quarter (or whatever), or just trying to make consumer interest look better in hopes that it starts a chain reaction. But really don't know as it's a complex dance that may not have what I would consider a logical reason attached to it.

The reason (getting one's product into more hands) is logical, it's just not financially reasonable. With calling plans becoming cheaper all the time a parent can get their child a high end smartphone for free, and add them to their current plan for as little as an extra $10 a month. I'm surprised that BOGO offers aren't rampant now, just as kids are going away to college.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Plethora of alleged 'iPhone 6' parts show Apple logo, cables & camera ring