or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest purported leak shows scuffed-up 'iPhone 6' rear panel

Latest purported leak shows scuffed-up 'iPhone 6' rear panel

post #1 of 75
While it may be a little worse for wear, a part alleged to be a full back panel for Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" appeared online Tuesday, offering a closer look at what could be the final design for the hotly anticipated product.

Photo via Sonny Dickson.

The scuffed-up and dented part was shown off by Sonny Dickson, showing a consistent design with other leaked components. In particular, the part suggests that the rear camera may be a protruding lens, and that the flash True Tone module may evolve from an elongated "pill" shape to a circle.

The part is noticeably damaged, with dents around the Apple logo and chunks of material missing from indentations at the top and bottom of the back panel. Instead of glass cutouts like Apple has featured on the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s, Apple appears to be using a new design to allow the internal antennas to work through the handset's metal exterior.

The leaked part also lacks any brand name or regulatory information printed on the rear side, which has been known to happen in the past with pre-production components that leak online.

As such, it's possible that some elements, such as the protruding rear lens, could change before the product actually ships to consumers. No iPhone camera to date has stuck out from the back panel, though Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch has adopted that style.

Alleged "iPhone 6" parts have leaked consistently over the last few weeks, suggesting that Apple is ramping up production of its next-generation handset in time for a September launch. The company is rumored to be planning both a 4.7-inch model as well as a 5.5-inch one, both of which would be larger than the 4-inch display currently found on the flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c.

Apple is expected to be planning a media event for Tuesday, Sept. 9 to finally reveal its hotly anticipated "iPhone 6." If the company follows its usual release pattern, the device would likely be in the hands of consumers the following Friday, Sept. 19. Recent rumors have suggested that the 5.5-inch model could see some delays, however.
post #2 of 75
I can't get over the idea of a protruding camera lens. I won't say "sloppy" but it really just seems a little unpolished for Apple's flagship product that has always been svelt, balanced, and symmetrical. Call me skeptical until Sept 9.
post #3 of 75
Call me skeptical as well. I really don't think the thick antenna bands will find their way into production, either. As for the round flash component, I saw a leak yesterday on another site, looks as if Apple may be putting the True Tone into a round shape instead of pill shaped.

Can hardly wait until Sept 9!
post #4 of 75
Seems like a quality of a fake iPhone product.
post #5 of 75
The fact those lines on the back of the phone are so chipped and scuffed I think is a good indication they either won't be there in the final product or will look very different. Or we're not seeing a legit part and this is some Chinese knockoff fake.
post #6 of 75

Well that seals the deal.

5.5 here we come. We all know the protruding flash is only needed on the 5.5.

post #7 of 75
It isn't sloppy it is good engineering. Eventually you have to improve your optics to get substantially better cameras in cell phones. Goods optics require space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

I can't get over the idea of a protruding camera lens. I won't say "sloppy" but it really just seems a little unpolished for Apple's flagship product that has always been svelt, balanced, and symmetrical. Call me skeptical until Sept 9.
post #8 of 75
The 5.5 will be able to be thinner. But getting a decent lens will mean it protrudes. Also looks like no liquidmetal on the phone. I'm not buying the "it's in the logo" meme.
post #9 of 75
I can't imagine Jony Ive designing such a ghastly piece of work. The thick bands, the protruding lens. It's a disaster, the worst looking iPhone since the 3GS. Not to mention the screen and its huge surrounding bezel area making it an unwieldy beast.
post #10 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Well that seals the deal.

5.5 here we come. We all know the protruding flash is only needed on the 5.5.

Proves nothing.  Also, it isn't a protruding FLASH, it's a camera LENS.   

Now where is my bottle of "Troll-away...?"

post #11 of 75
Quote:

I'll rather have a 'sloppy' lens that takes great pictures than a 'beautiful' lens that takes decent picture.

But I'm certain that Apple will deliver both.  I don't think the lense will protrude in the final design.

Remember last year when 'well connected' Ming Kuo said the TouchID button would protrude?  Turn out to be a bunch of well connect BullSheet.

post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Proves nothing.  Also, it isn't a protruding FLASH, it's a camera LENS.   

Now where is my bottle of "Troll-away...?"

hmmm. Maybe the 5.5 isn't coming after all

post #13 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It isn't sloppy it is good engineering. Eventually you have to improve your optics to get substantially better cameras in cell phones. Goods optics require space.

Perhaps, but from a selfish point of view, I use no case and my phone frequently sits flat on my desk.  Typing on an iPhone w/ a protruding lens (on my desk) will be irritating...guess I'll be using a case.

post #14 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Then keep the rest of the handset slightly thicker so everything is in proportion, and don't thin it out further until you can get the lens flush with the back sometime in the future.
post #15 of 75

i wonder if there are a few guys out there with a 3d printer slagging this crap out.  and if they are- i enjoy the joke.

post #16 of 75
I feel theres more to the protruding lens that we don't know. theres an apple patent that talked about a lens mounting system. perhaps (hopefully) that's the idea.
post #17 of 75
Can't wait for the 5.5" iPod Pro.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I can't imagine Jony Ive designing such a ghastly piece of work. The thick bands, the protruding lens. It's a disaster, the worst looking iPhone since the 3GS. Not to mention the screen and its huge surrounding bezel area making it an unwieldy beast.

Ahem...http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/17/possible-iphone-4g-images-surface/
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Then keep the rest of the handset slightly thicker so everything is in proportion, and don't thin it out further until you can get the lens flush with the back sometime in the future.

Have you held the new iPod touch in your hand? It's pretty freaking impressive- even with a protruding camera.

I'm not a fan of he protruding camera; honestly, but signs are pointing to making it thin enough as a 4.7" to claim "1 handed operability". Very much looking forward to the keynote.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #20 of 75

It's funny reading the old comments. Funny how people quickly changed their tune.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #21 of 75
"protruding camera lens" = Interchangeable lenses for different focal length.
post #22 of 75
if its real then its not made out of liquidmetal,
so many scratches on it.
post #23 of 75
This is what we got from Sonny Dickson last year. He's NOT always reliable.

ayasjn.jpg
post #24 of 75
Yikes! I would hate my iPhone band to be peeling off like that. A new attenagate may be brewing if that is representative of the wear and tear we are in for. Not too mention it is just not the most elegant of iPhone. There could be a backlash at how low end this phone looks and how much it costs.
post #25 of 75
Quote:

One word: prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

Seems like a quality of a fake iPhone product.

Ditto: prototype.
Quote:

I'll rather have a 'sloppy' lens that takes great pictures than a 'beautiful' lens that takes decent picture.

But I'm certain that Apple will deliver both.  I don't think the lense will protrude in the final design.

Remember last year when 'well connected' Ming Kuo said the TouchID button would protrude?  Turn out to be a bunch of well connect BullSheet.

Sound judgement (for once*) and I concur... 1smile.gif

*** Just kiddin'.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Yikes! I would hate my iPhone band to be peeling off like that. A new attenagate may be brewing if that is representative of the wear and tear we are in for. Not too mention it is just not the most elegant of iPhone. There could be a backlash at how low end this phone looks and how much it costs.
Quote:
Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) says:
August 12, 2014 at 3:35 am
This iPhone 6 Back Housing is a Prototype its not the Final part that will ship, but its 100% real.
post #27 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is what we got from Sonny Dickson last year. He's NOT always reliable.

ayasjn.jpg

Dont kill his job or he will be homeless. Lol
post #28 of 75

It's actually the new iPeriscope...

post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

Dont kill his job or he will be homeless. Lol
Well he's sticking by this leak claiming its legit but not the final part.
post #30 of 75

Well, that's it.  When I saw this I sold all my Apple stock, since clearly they're doooooomed!!!11!!!1!11!!!!one!!!1!!11!!!!

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #31 of 75

The antenna bands do appear to be intentionally abused, as in pried or pounded apart. Certainly doesn't look like typical wear and tear.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

"protruding camera lens" = Interchangeable lenses for different focal length.

Unlikely.

That reeks of fussiness, fragility, and complexity, all of which belie the basic spirit of iOS hardware (and Apple in general).

I -- for one -- believe this is a fake mockup. Apple's obsession is flatness right now, a protruding camera lens is diametrically opposed to this. Plus the build quality looks very poor and the scuff marks and other damage look fishy.

Most rumors (maybe 97-98%) posted to this site (and other Apple rumor blogs in general) are wrong anyhow, so the overwhelming odds are this is phony.

Edited by mpantone - 8/12/14 at 7:55am
post #33 of 75

Please can we just wait until 9th Sept. All this idle speculation is simply wasting our lives. Surely we have something better to do than this unproductive banter. What really makes me chuckle is some folk write here as if Apple are actually listening or reading this. Get a life !!!!!!

post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

Please can we just wait until 9th Sept. All this idle speculation is simply wasting our lives. Surely we have something better to do than this unproductive banter. What really makes me chuckle is some folk write here as if Apple are actually listening or reading this. Get a life !!!!!!

If you hadn't noticed, this is a tech rumor blog.

It is not a news site like the New York Times or Wall Street Journal.

If you don't want to read this sort of stuff, visit some other fine places on the Internet.

post #35 of 75
No way this is real. The lens touching that unattractive, thick band like that? Bullshit.

Sonny Dickson is an idiot.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

hmm.

no i don't have anything better to do.

do you? then why did you post a message?

post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No way this is real. The lens touching that unattractive, thick band like that? Bullshit.

Sonny Dickson is an idiot.

Sonny Dickson's 15 minutes of fame is over.

Apple probably found his 'source' and shut them down.

I have no doubt the final phone will not look like this

post #38 of 75
Quote:

Sonny Dickson's 15 minutes of fame is over.

Apple probably found his 'source' and shut them down.

I have no doubt the final phone will not look like this

Dickson's accuracy record is spotty. But he did say this is a prototype and not the final part. Every time we see leaks of an unfinished product we get the same comments and then once the product is released and we see all the press shots everyone drools over how gorgeous it is. lol.gif
post #39 of 75
I don't post here very often primarily because the reporting is downright shoddy.

This thing has already been on the market for several weeks and still the images above are treated as *gasp* fact!

Grief. Do some research.

http://www.cultofmac.com/289781/like-unbox-iphone-6-knock/
Just another transplanted nobody!
Just another transplanted nobody!
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

I don't post here very often primarily because the reporting is downright shoddy.

This thing has already been on the market for several weeks and still the images above are treated as *gasp* fact!

Grief. Do some research.

http://www.cultofmac.com/289781/like-unbox-iphone-6-knock/

Thats an "iPhone 6" clone from China. It's not this. It's not the iPhone 6 either. 

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest purported leak shows scuffed-up 'iPhone 6' rear panel