or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved - Page 11

post #401 of 798
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
iPhone 5.5"

G44

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #402 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why aren't "white people" (whatever that means) rioting in the streets every time a "white person" (whatever that means) gets murdered in a controversial way? I don't identify with criminals. I don't identify with rioters. I don't identify with people who choose to do stupid things that place themselves and others in harms way. I don't identify with law enforcement. I don't even identify with most "whites" (whatever that means).

Is it really necessary to answer that? At the same time, while I understand the emotions, I don't condone violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Hang on. Why wouldn't this hidden unconscious discrimination not be based on class, nationality, state or university? Why would a white American be prejudiced towards a Russian or Albanian but not a Chinese-American who gets American humour?

And the stats in Apple - once again - show, and only show, that Apple is "biased" ( if the bias is there at all and not a reflection of educational achievement) relative to population to Asians at the expense of blacks and Hispanics but neutral towards whites.

Because what I've said, which is backed up by more than a few studies over the decades, isn't a total lock. These are tendencies. And the truth is that even white men seem to have respect for another man who is Asian. There are mental attitudes. Most people think of Asians as smart, hard working, family oriented and cooperative. I'm not saying that that's right or wrong, it's just the way most people think. In addition, most white men don't think of Asian men as threatening.

Again, the understanding of those attitudes come from numerous studies. Also, not saying whether they are true or not.
post #403 of 798
Quote:

iPhone 5.5"

using a classic lawyer trick - diversion

keep to the subject son.

post #404 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

G44

i will LOLLOOOLL on Sept 9th

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/13/iphone-6-thailand/

post #405 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:

Why aren't "white people" (whatever that means) rioting in the streets every time a "white person" (whatever that means) gets murdered in a controversial way? I don't identify with criminals. I don't identify with rioters. I don't identify with people who choose to do stupid things that place themselves and others in harms way. I don't identify with law enforcement. I don't even identify with most "whites" (whatever that means).

Is it really necessary to answer that? At the same time, while I understand the emotions, I don't con

Because what I've said, which is backed up by more than a few studies over the decades, isn't a total lock. These are tendencies. And the truth is that even white men seem to have respect for another man who is Asian. There are mental attitudes. Most people think of Asians as smart, hard working, family oriented and cooperative. I'm not saying that that's right or wrong, it's just the way most people think. In addition, most white men don't think of Asian men as threatening.

Again, the understanding of those attitudes come from numerous studies. Also, not saying whether they are true or not.

These studies tend to look for what they want to look for. If nobody is testing for discrimination towards southerners you won't find it ( although I do remember a study suggesting that people thought people from the US South were more stupid than northerners when listening to accents. My bet is all non standard American accents will have that effect ).

There are more studies in the UK on class bias.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #406 of 798

I think you'all need to realize what true diversity is.

Its not just race.

Height

Weight

Religion

Ethnicity

Nationality (citizenship)

Gay or Straight or Bi

Sex

Education

ect, ect, ect,

Stop getting hanged up on race alone. 

Apple is simply saying regardless of age, height, weight, skin color, gay, religion, sex, education, ect, ect, ect...........we will hire the BEST of the BEST.

post #407 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From my anecdotal experiences with text-based conversations I feel that I can recognize female v male fairly well based on the manner in which one writes, but can't discern between other classifications.

Of course, we're not talking about texts.
post #408 of 798
Quote:

I believe my comment addressed that.

I didn't get that from your post.
post #409 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You favour discrimination over performance, leading to under-performing companies, which means you can't pay your employees as much; a flawed business plan.

Seems to me that it is you who should remain silent on this topic, as you seem to require many more words than TS to say much less of consequence.

You obviously have difficulty in understanding what I wrote. Perhaps you should read it again, more slowly.
post #410 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

These studies tend to look for what they want to look for. If nobody is testing for discrimination towards southerners you won't find it ( although I do remember a study suggesting that people thought people from the US South were more stupid than northerners when listening to accents. My bet is all non standard American accents will have that effect ).

There are more studies in the UK on class bias.

You can go ahead and post anything you want to. But please don't try to denigrate scientific work like that. There have been many studies done over the years, and they all come up with similar answers. When I was studying psychology I read a number of them ,and they looked pretty good to me. I also did some work with the Council on Social Work Education early on, and some of what you find out is eye opening.

One thing that has always fascinated me is that people who are in a group that is not generally discriminated against, and is indeed in the group that does the discriminating, rarely admit that there is much discrimination. But when they do detect something that might take away some of their advantages that they have as a result of ages of discrimination, they jump upon it as being unfair. Amazing!
post #411 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Mr Cook never said he had a quota.  You are putting words into his mouth.

And I'm happy for you that you were hired without someone discriminating against you.
But I'm sorry your personal experience does not equal the experience of millions of Black/Asian/Latino people in the USA.

"Diversity needs to be improved".  That's code-speak for "Quota" for the attention-whores like Jesse Jackson.  Tim Cook did not say it, but the politicos raising a stink about it surely want something like that.

My experience as a Mexican-American in this area that is surrounded my white guys is completely relevant to the topic.  Our family grew up poor, and struggled.  We never asked for a handout and played the cards we were given.  For me, I refused to let any perceived racial-barrier get in the way.  My parents shelled out a hell of a lot of money - that they badly needed to support the family - to buy my first computer as a kid because they saw something in me that needed nurturing.  I was the only Latino in computer lab in a high school that was very much racially diverse.  My mom still lives in the family home in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood south of San Francisco.  It's still a rough area.

What did I see among the minorities in my school?  Blacks and hispanics were more interested in thumping their chests as to who was in the better gang.  They did drugs and were responsible for most of the crime on campus.  They didn't care about improving their lives.  It was their falsely perceived belief that that life held promise.  I saw it for the bullshit it was.  They tried steering me into that lifestyle, but thanks to my parents for keeping me straight, I knew better.  I was picked-on by white guys because of my race.  Again, thanks to strong parental support, I persevered.

Blacks/Latino make a hell of a lot of excuses as to why they couldn't climb the social ladder.  Companies like Apple shouldn't have to explain at all why they aren't as diverse as assholes like Jesse Jackson would like Apple to be.  Sure, it would be nice but the problem is a social problem, not a company problem.  It's also a problem of the government trying to babysit and spoon feed people that they have zero motivation to get ahead when they are being handed free stuff.

So my "personal experience" means I didn't let barriers get in the way, and make excuses as to why I couldn't get ahead.  I see how Mexicans in my community live and how many make the choice to let the government take care of them instead of doing what they can to better their life.  I see that every single day.  You have absolutely zero clue, and even less to assume I wouldn't know what "millions" of others go through.

You reek of arrogance.

Great post, and well done for overcoming adverse circumstances.

It seems to me that the reason for differing types of people in any walk of life is due to culture, not racism or any other ism. All jobs tend to have different proportions, because people are attracted to different things. As you state, blacks and Hispanics tend to be attracted to drugs and gangs, which I would consider a bad thing, though I presume plenty would disagree.

Tim Cook has revealed his true colours as a quota-whore, which is a shame. With luck, he will see the light and realise that there is only one sentence he needs drilled into him:

'The best man for the job.'
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #412 of 798
Quote:

You can go ahead and post anything you want to. But please don't try to denigrate scientific work like that. There have been many studies done over the years, and they all come up with similar answers. When I was studying psychology I read a number of them ,and they looked pretty good to me. I also did some work with the Council on Social Work Education early on, and some of what you find out is eye opening.

One thing that has always fascinated me is that people who are in a group that is not generally discriminated against, and is indeed in the group that does the discriminating, rarely admit that there is much discrimination. But when they do detect something that might take away some of their advantages that they have as a result of ages of discrimination, they jump upon it as being unfair. Amazing!

None of that deals with my claim. All of those tests might be valid , I am sure they are because humans have all kinds of bias, but not just white/ black. I am talking about the biases not tested for. Americans tend not to look into class biases because there is a general uniformity of class accents. And regional biases tend to be limited as the accent is fairly uniform. These things do exist elsewhere and may overcome racial biases ie somebody with a RP/Oxbridge accent in the UK regardless of race will generally get more favourable treatment than a working class Geordie.

Don't assume I am a white American either.
post #413 of 798
Quote:

It seems to me that the reason for differing types of people in any walk of life is due to culture, not racism or any other ism. All jobs tend to have different proportions, because people are attracted to different things. As you state, blacks and Hispanics tend to be attracted to drugs and gangs, which I would consider a bad thing, though I presume plenty would disagree.

Tim Cook has revealed his true colours as a quota-whore, which is a shame. With luck, he will see the light and realise that there is only one sentence he needs drilled into him:

Bullshit. Minorities were probably discouraged from the arts and sciences by clueless teachers.
post #414 of 798
Quote:

As you state, blacks and Hispanics tend to be attracted to drugs and gangs, which I would consider a bad thing, though I presume plenty would disagree.

Can you seriously not understand what you are writing here?

Talk about generalizing.

So Blacks/Hispanics are more attracted to drugs/gangs than other races.  Wow.  Wow. Wow.

post #415 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Providing money to disadvantaged African Americans puts white people at a disadvantage. A disadvantage of what? Not being as 
superior over minority races?

yeah.

You must have a simple (and one track) mind.
Good luck with that.
post #416 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not when that disadvantage brings that person down from a huge advantage.

Ha ha, semantics.
It did took you a while to come up with this?
Try again.
post #417 of 798
Quote:

As you state, blacks and Hispanics tend to be attracted to drugs and gangs, which I would consider a bad thing, though I presume plenty would disagree.

That's a very racist thing to say. What aspect of their innate makeup makes you believe that the categorization of all such people have this tendency? Why exclude the notion that impoverished children without a proper family structure might fall into gangs as a way of finding a family unit within the only culture that they know?
Edited by SolipsismX - 8/13/14 at 12:06pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #418 of 798
Quote:

That's a very racist thing to say. What aspect of their innate makeup makes you believe that the categorization of all such people have this tendency? Why exclude the Notion that impoverished children without a proper family structure might all into gangs as a way of finding a family unit within the only culture that they know?

It truly is sad.

i don't know if I should feel sorry for Benny Frost or be outraged at him.

Saying that Blacks are more attracted to drugs/gangs than other races is pure racism.

yet Mr Benny sees himself as not a racist at all.  Wow.

IMO, that comment should get him banned for a while

post #419 of 798
Quote:

I didn't get that from your post.

My post included this:  "The visas are about employee expectations, engineering and programming skill levels and costs."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #420 of 798
What aspect of their innate makeup makes you believe that the categorization of all such people have this tendency?

Saying that Blacks are more attracted to drugs/gangs than other races is pure racism.

Within the context of his post and the quote therein, I don’t believe that he is saying this. It looks more like he’s just stating what all statistics show, rather than implying there is an inherent racial draw to such behavior.

Let’s wait for him to clarify.

post #421 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Except there are genetic differences between races.

That's not relevant to me. I don't think dogs or bears or elephants or dolphins look at human diversity and decide to treat groups of humans with one shade of skin differently than those of a different shade. We're just humans to them. Why can't we be humans to each other?

If, by human, you mean murder, torture and degrade, then I think we manage that.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #422 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Thank Garrett Augustus Morgan for the traffic light

This guy has stopped more people from getting ahead than anybody.

Imagine a world without traffic lights; heaven.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #423 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

You must have a simple (and one track) mind.
Good luck with that.

Then you tell me: How exactly does providing money to disadvantaged minorities hurt anyone else? 

post #424 of 798

As in: we’d all be there because of crashes. :lol:

post #425 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

I think it's like this. If I found out after interviewing two candidates for a position one male and one female that they just married(not to each other). I would automatically assume that the woman would likely be starting a family and I would have to deal with her being out for 3 to 6 months and probably eventually want to work part time or leave altogether. Yes its not fair, but it's probably a risk employers may not want to take. 

This assumes men cannot or will not partake equally in child-rearing. Men should be granted "paternity leave" so that they can. 

If you want to encourage wusses, sure.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #426 of 798
Quote:

If you want to encourage wusses, sure.

racist?

now sexist?

okay.

post #427 of 798
Quote:

Quote:

That is actually quite progressive of them. The only thing better would be BCE.

I mistyped. The New Oxford American Dictionary, 3rd edition © 2010, 2012 uses BC and AD.

As it should.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #428 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
I consider myself to be one of the least racist persons on this forum

This saddens me.  I've always seen your persona here as blatantly and unapologetically racist.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say you're hands down the most racist poster on this forum.  The unapologetic nature of the racism is what made me at least respect your posts.  While I don't agree with them, you at least appeared to wear your racism with pride.  It's one thing to be a racist and stand behind your convictions, it's another to be racist and claim that you're not.

You're not even human - who are you to judge?

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #429 of 798
Quote:

Within the context of his post and the quote therein, I don’t believe that he is saying this. It looks more like he’s just stating what all statistics show, rather than implying there is an inherent racial draw to such behavior.

But that is more easily and reliably explained by economic issues and social deficiencies that can affect any "race" the same way under the same conditions.

post #430 of 798
Quote:

Quote:

Ah, the Angles are gone, yet it’s still called England. Though “Hispania” is gone, they’re still called Hispanics.

Off topic but damn interesting and entertaining (at least to me)…

Good vid!

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #431 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Ah, the Angles are gone, yet it’s still called England. Though “Hispania” is gone, they’re still called Hispanics.

A lot of obtuse Angles on this thread. lol.gif

We need a Guardian Angel to oversee the matter.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #432 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

I just read an article in the Stanford Report on Jewish emigres from Germany in the 1930s to the U.S. who increased patents in their fields by 31%, and this was in the face of anti-semitism in universities and corporations. They succeeded despite the obstacles because of their superior intelligence and the quality of their work. The idea that if only Aborigines were "exposed" to math and physics then they'd have an equal chance of becoming an Einstein, is laughable. The same goes for the argument that if only minority groups or girls were encouraged to study computer science, we'd have more engineers, simply false.

With today's fetish for diversity, part of the multiculturalist religion of the political left, we the polar opposite being practiced. Your intellect and quality of your work are worth less if you are a white male. However, there's no evidence that ethic diversity is a net benefit for any society. Quite the opposite, increased diversity leads to greater friction between groups, lower trust and cooperation. Read Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" for proof of this.

I understand Apples push for diversity both from the perspective of broadening their appeal to global markets (because profits are their prime motivator) and because replacing white (or any other race for that matter) U.S. citizens with H1B Visa imports who can be paid much less, also helps their bottom line. From the perspective of pure capitalism, this is a sound strategy, if you have principles and don't want to see your country mutated into a diverse "market" to be harvested by corporations, it's a call to arms.

Great post.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #433 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's what certain terrorist apologists say about the terrorists too. "We need to understand why they want to kill us! Let's find the root cause!" and other likeminded drivel.

Sorry, I don't buy into such twisted, backwards and demented logic. The root cause is that they are messed up in their heads, and they simply need to be eliminated. It's no more complicated than that. The problem will go away when they're dead.

And I do fully understand what is the root cause behind many racist accusations. It is because many ignorant liberals often resort to the race card, when they have few other arguments that they can utilize. I'm not talking specifically about you or anybody else on this forum, I am talking in general. They can use it as a weapon, often successfully, even if their claims are untrue, and so they continue to use it, though they know it's wrong. But, that doesn't matter to them of course, as anything goes.

These past few years, especially since the past few Presidential races, the race card has been fully worn out, and the liberals have completely damaged the meaning of the word racist, because it has lost most of its meaning. Nobody gives a crap about the boy who cried wolf, after they have been caught as a fraud for the tenth time. When the eleventh time comes around and there's a real wolf, nobody will help the boy, just as nobody is going to care about any real racism if it were to occur, because these people have been repeatedly falsely accused of being racists.

These people are the lowest of the low (the people who falsely play the race card and constantly make racist accusations), and they will get no pity from me, no matter what happens to them in the future.

I shouldn't reply to this "opinion".... I know... but whatever...(!)

You do realize that in many parts of the world, including many places in Europe I might add, it is America and/or the Israelis that are commonly referred to as the true terrorists.

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" is quite common saying, which I'm sure you've probably heard of.

So with that in mind, can you possibly see for a minute why what you just wrote above... is exactly how the opposition feels and thinks about you? And why there are tensions? And why due to people such as yourself at the bargaining table for "peace" going into negotiations with that frame of mind... get absolutely nowhere?

Having people on both sides of an argument with your justified way of thinking... in the 21st century... dare I call it "like it is" and say... it's rather uncivilized for our times?!

I'm rather surprised that @SolipsismX hasn't corrected you... while agreed with you in that you're not a racist... you are the very definition and Poster Boy of a bigot.

big·ot
noun \ˈbi-gət\

: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

And please... don't go painting me as one of your hated liberals. I am a Passive Tolerant... until I can't passively tolerate your BS any longer. At which time I turn into a very Big. Bad. Wolf!

Passive Tolerant=Passive-Aggressive Liberal.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #434 of 798
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm rather surprised that @SolipsismX hasn't corrected you...

I didn't even read that post. With terrorist apologists as the 4th and 5th words of his comment my eyes keep getting locked in an eye roll so its unlikely I'll ever read it.

Indeed; those who lack focus find it hard to read beyond the 4th and 5th word and therefore have a tendency to spring to superficial judgements.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #435 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

If no one has convinced anyone in the first page, you're not going to be able to do it in pages 2-99.

If you don't succeed, try and try again.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #436 of 798
Quote:

Quote:

You favour discrimination over performance, leading to under-performing companies, which means you can't pay your employees as much; a flawed business plan.

Seems to me that it is you who should remain silent on this topic, as you seem to require many more words than TS to say much less of consequence.

You obviously have difficulty in understanding what I wrote. Perhaps you should read it again, more slowly.

No difficulty; thanks for the condescending reply, though.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #437 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Bullshit. Minorities were probably discouraged from the arts and sciences by clueless teachers.

No prejudice, there. :rolleyes:

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #438 of 798
Quote:

Quote:

That's a very racist thing to say. What aspect of their innate makeup makes you believe that the categorization of all such people have this tendency? Why exclude the notion that impoverished children without a proper family structure might fall into gangs as a way of finding a family unit within the only culture that they know?

Try reading carefully before accusing me of racism.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #439 of 798
Quote:

What aspect of their innate makeup makes you believe that the categorization of all such people have this tendency?

Clarify? I was quoting sflocal, who stated that in his community, blacks and Hispanics took drugs and entered gangs.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #440 of 798
Quote:

As in: we’d all be there because of crashes. :lol:

Nice! Or hell.

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved