or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved - Page 20

post #761 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
Where do you hang out where "Merry Christmas" are fighting words?

No where. They aren't fighting words at all. In the US If you said that to someone who did not observe Christmas, they would probably say thank you, and to you as well. People of other faiths have learned to accept things like that. They don't want to stir up trouble. Very much like jews who have a job that requires them to work past sunset on Fridays and Muslims who have to work on Friday. It is not the end of the world. They put up with it because it is better than making an issue out of it when it is not the local custom. Some of us think it is just more polite to avoid saying that to stranger as a courtesy to people of other faiths. What is so hard to understand about that?

 

When we are in Panama 90% of people there celebrate Christmas but not in the States.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #762 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

 

Oh please. I would say 'Happy Christmas!' Hardly telling someone to enjoy my customs.

By that reasoning, when you say 'Good morning' to someone, you're forcing them to have a good morning whether they like it or not. Oh the hardship! The oppression! The intolerance towards those who don't wish to have a good morning imposed on them! Perhaps I should suggest an alternative; maybe:

'It may be a good, neutral or bad morning for you or a combination of all of those, and I don't wish to impose them all on you, but if you would like one or more of those options, then I would like to wish one of them for you. If you don't, then that's fine too, as I wouldn't wish to impose my own wishes onto you. If it isn't morning for you, or you object to the idea of it being the morning because you've been having an all-nighter and your head is pounding like a jackhammer, then you may or may not want me to wish you an afternoon or evening or none of those. Please make your selection now.'

Could go down well, ya think?
Who in the world doesn't want to have a good morning?  Bizarre line of argument, and further evidence of your trollish idiocy.

In your world, where people are offended by being greeted with 'Happy Christmas.'

Try again.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #763 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Conquered is fine with me, too. If only I lived in an age where I could conquer lands. Must have been great fun. Oh well. Nowhere left to conquer or discover now. All done and dusted. Might as well lie down and die.

It wasn't it was cracked up to be. Days on end riding on rickety ships, bad food, no plumbing, plus you have a hard enough time communicating with those that speak English, imagine the trouble you'd have if they didn't. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #764 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

 

When we are in Panama 90% of people there celebrate Christmas but not in the States.

That's hardly surprising; why would 90% of the people want to celebrate Christmas both in Panama and the States? Bit of a trek. Guess if you had family in both places.

But then, why single out the States? You might as well say that 90% of the Panama people celebrate Christmas there but not in Antarctica.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #765 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No where. They aren't fighting words at all. In the US If you said that to someone who did not observe Christmas, they would probably say thank you, and to you as well. People of other faiths have learned to accept things like that. They don't want to stir up trouble. Very much like jews who have a job that requires them to work past sunset on Fridays and Muslims who have to work on Friday. It is not the end of the world. They put up with it because it is better than making an issue out of it when it is not the local custom. Some of us think it is just more polite to avoid saying that to stranger as a courtesy to people of other faiths. What is so hard to understand about that?

When we are in Panama 90% of people there celebrate Christmas but not in the States.

In the States, it's about 80%.

So basically people don't care if you say Merry Christmas but heaven's forbid for that one person to be offended.
post #766 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Conquered is fine with me, too. If only I lived in an age where I could conquer lands. Must have been great fun. Oh well. Nowhere left to conquer or discover now. All done and dusted. Might as well lie down and die.

It wasn't it was cracked up to be. Days on end riding on rickety ships, bad food, no plumbing, plus you have a hard enough time communicating with those that speak English, imagine the trouble you'd have if they didn't. 1wink.gif

Yeah, but think of the serving wenches! 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #767 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't see color.

100%
Homo Sapiens

Who ya calling a Homo!
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #768 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
In the States, it's about 80%.

So basically people don't care if you say Merry Christmas but heaven's forbid for that one person to be offended.

Saying merry christmas to non-observers in the US and expecting them to return the greeting just because this is America is simply rude. That type of attitude is why Americans are generally considered rude when they travel to other countries. Certainly the case in Panama where most Americans refuse to learn any spanish and expect the locals to speak english. This isn't the 1800s. Things change as the diverse populations start intermingling around the world. In my opinion, common courtesies and customs should also change to reflect that new diversity.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #769 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Not really, my argument doesn't depend on BF being an idiot, he just is one.  It's not an ad hominem so much as a plain insult, and one that he is proving well deserving of with this continual tripe.

It's a personal attack. If you think their comments are idiotic then specify that. And since all you really know of the person is their comments that's really all you can say is idiotic.

if you don't want to, that's your choice, but Frost took extreme issue with a simple direct comment mstone made yesterday, which surprisingly he's not doing with you so I guess it's very selective… like some people and their religious customs.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #770 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
In the States, it's about 80%.

I was just doing some research about that and it turns out in the US 90% of people celebrate Christmas but only 50% of those who celebrate view it as a religious holiday. I would have thought it would have been less observers and more secular participants so I guess you point is noted. I still think  saying happy holidays is preferable for businesses but apparently it makes no difference for individuals. I am still surprised that you find that people saying happy holidays is offensive. I couldn't find any statistics on that.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #771 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yeah, but think of the serving wenches! 😃

I'm not entirely sure that there are pubs in uncharted territories. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #772 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

 



So basically people don't care if you say Merry Christmas but heaven's forbid for that one person to be offended.
Saying merry christmas to non-observers in the US and expecting them to return the greeting just because this is America is simply rude. That type of attitude is why Americans are generally considered rude when they travel to other countries. Certainly the case in Panama where most Americans refuse to learn any spanish and expect the locals to speak english. This isn't the 1800s. Things change as the diverse populations start intermingling around the world. In my opinion, common courtesies and customs should also change to reflect that new diversity.

Are you expected to wear a Panama hat in Panama? That's the only noteworthy thing I know of emanating from that place. Must be nice living in such a boring place.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #773 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Not really, my argument doesn't depend on BF being an idiot, he just is one.  It's not an ad hominem so much as a plain insult, and one that he is proving well deserving of with this continual tripe.

It's a personal attack. If you think their comments are idiotic then specify that. And since all you really know of the person is their comments that's really all you can say is idiotic.

if you don't want to, that's your choice, but Frost took extreme issue with a simple direct comment mstone made yesterday, which surprisingly he's not doing with you so I guess it's very selective… like some people and their religious customs.

I've reported him for four.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #774 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Saying merry christmas to non-observers in the US and expecting them to return the greeting just because this is America is simply rude. That type of attitude is why Americans are generally considered rude when they travel to other countries. Certainly the case in Panama where most Americans refuse to learn any spanish and expect the locals to speak english. This isn't the 1800s. Things change as the diverse populations start intermingling around the world. In my opinion, common courtesies and customs should also change to reflect that new diversity.

My anecdotal experience concurs with yours but I think the root cause is simply because the US is so large with a large, widespread population across most of the land -and- because it has such a heavy entertainment network that your average American simply has more than enough to contend with within their own borders.

These two reasons help to keep Americans isolated in their worldview even when educated. For the first point, you can go to Europe and you see people that speak multiple languages and have traveled to dozens of other countries simply because it's so easy to do. For the second point, even with native original programming everyone I know outside the US has seen innumerable "Hollywood" made television shows and movies. They even know our politicians and political issues better than Americans when giving random tests on the street, but that I classify as a branch of entertainment media these days.

Only about 3% of US citizens held passports as of 1989. That number has jumped considerably since changes were enacted after 9/11. Now you can't even do a cruise without a passport. Still, that percentage is still on par with more impoverished countries where people are missing a lot of things.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #775 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was just doing some research about that and it turns out in the US 90% of people celebrate Christmas but only 50% of those who celebrate view it as a religious holiday. I would have thought it would have been less observers and more secular participants so I guess you point is noted. I still think  saying happy holidays is preferable for businesses but apparently it makes no difference for individuals. I am still surprised that you find that people saying happy holidays is offensive. I couldn't find any statistics on that.

Hmmm. That's sad. My 80% was just self identified Christians and if your saying 50% of 90% thinks it's not a religious holiday, wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Are you expected to wear a Panama hat in Panama? That's the only noteworthy thing I know of emanating from that place. Must be nice living in such a boring place.

<<face palm>>
post #776 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My anecdotal experience concurs with yours but I think the root cause is simply because the US is so large with a large, widespread population across most of the land -and- because it has such a heavy entertainment network that your average American simply has more than enough to contend with within their own borders.

These two reasons help to keep Americans isolated in their worldview even when educated. For the first point, you can go to Europe and you see people that speak multiple languages and have traveled to dozens of other countries simply because it's so easy to do. For the second point, even with native original programming everyone I know outside the US has seen innumerable "Hollywood" made television shows and movies. They even know our politicians and political issues better than Americans when giving random tests on the street, but that I classify as a branch of entertainment media these days.

Only about 3% of US citizens held passports as of 1989. That number has jumped considerably since changes were enacted after 9/11. Now you can't even do a cruise without a passport. Still, that percentage is still on par with more impoverished countries where people are missing a lot of things.

It's definitely because the US is so vast and sort of isolated. European countries are like US states. You can car/train travel for five hours in any direction and you be in a different country. In the US, you just be in a different state (or just your own state).
post #777 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 
Are you expected to wear a Panama hat in Panama? That's the only noteworthy thing I know of emanating from that place. Must be nice living in such a boring place.

Only tourists buy Panama hats and they are usually made in Haiti or China. Probably our most famous asset is the Panama Canal, perhaps you've heard of it. Another claim to fame is our coffee which is world renowned. Panama is far from boring as it is a popular tourist destination with some of the finest surfing, fishing and scuba as well as a rich national heritage. There are also many wildlife species including over 300 types of hummingbirds. We also have a couple volcanoes. one extinct and one dormant, and both offer some very interesting geology to study. For those interested in anthropology there is a lot to study and explore regarding the  history and culture of ancient peoples in America. there are many petroglyphs as well. I can recommend a very informative book titled "Guardians of the Life Stream". It is still in print, the ISBN is 0-9633959-3-9 and available in paperback on Amazon. In addition to the typical Central American culture we have a number of indigenous tribes. Probably the two most famous are the Kuna and the Ngöbe Buglé.

 

Other interesting places to visit are in Casco Viejo which is the old city established by the Spanish conquistadors which has been preserved.

 

You might be surprised to learn that Panama City has more, and taller and certainly some of the most unusual skyscrapers in the world and with an economic growth rate at 8% it is the fastest growing economy behind only China. Panama also has the largest mall in the world. Albrook Mall.

 

Hope that helps.


Edited by mstone - 8/16/14 at 8:21pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #778 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

 
Only tourists buy Panama hats and they are usually made in Haiti or China. Probably our most famous asset is the Panama Canal, perhaps you've heard of it. Another claim to fame is our coffee which is world renowned. Panama is far from boring as it is a popular tourist destination with some of the finest surfing, fishing and scuba as well as a rich national heritage. There are also many wildlife species including over 300 types of hummingbirds. We also have a couple volcanoes. one extinct and one dormant, and both offer some very interesting geology to study. For those interested in anthropology there is a lot to study and explore regarding the  history and culture of ancient peoples in America. there are many petroglyphs as well. I can recommend a very informative book titled "Guardians of the Life Stream". It is still in print, the ISBM is 0-9633959-3-9 and available in paperback on Amazon. In addition to the typical Central American culture we have a number of indigenous tribes. Probably the two most famous are the Kuna and the Ngöbe Buglé.

Other interesting places to visit are in Casco Viejo which is the old city established by the Spanish conquistadors which has been preserved.

You might be surprised to learn that Panama City has more, and taller and certainly some of the most unusual skyscrapers in the world and with an economic growth rate at 8% it is the fastest growing economy behind only China. Panama also has the largest mall in the world. Albrook Mall.

Hope that helps.

Meh. All sounds boring and ugly.

The one thing I will always remember is that people from Panama have a penchant for making death threats against strangers over the pettiest of slights, masquerading as bravado.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #779 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 
...making death threats against strangers over the pettiest of slights, masquerading as bravado.

I'm very truly sorry about that. I was wondering what part of my comment made you so upset. Actually the part about the cricket bat was not a threat at all. It was stated as "perhaps" and  "if" and "probably" and "years ago" and then a question. I have no reason to threaten you whatsoever. The part of my comment that was a borderline infraction was the first part where I postulated something about your mental state. Again, sorry about that, but by all means keep up the insults against everyone as they are rather entertaining since your are not very good at insults. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #780 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Meh. [Panama] All sounds boring and ugly.

What the **** is up with you?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #781 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because some non-Christians celebrate Christmas we have to assume all non-Christians celebrate Christmas?

No, just most Western non-Christians. Why do you say 'some' to imply it's a minority?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-EUsDGvJJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP-euTkE2Ys
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess that mean people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day are Mexican-Irish?¡

Why are you calling those events by name? You need to be all-inclusive and refer to them as holidays when you don't know if all the people on the forum celebrate them or not. People do celebrate St. Patrick's Day despite not being Irish, Ireland doesn't say happy holidays to avoid offending residents of Ireland who don't celebrate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

It's not about imposing a religion on anyone and the tradition is to be caring towards other people, it's not like it's an offensive tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost 
If you celebrate Christmas, you are a Christian.

Hardly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
How is telling people to enjoy celebrating Christ's birth imposing your religion on people that aren't Christians or celebrate Christmas? :roll eyes:

So no Happy Easter either then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
So if someone tell you to enjoy Ramadan or Hanukah you'd be fine with that?

Why wouldn't I be fine with it? Even when not celebrating it, I wouldn't get offended and request that they stop saying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley 
Christmas is not the only holiday (religious or secular) in the winter period of mid December through to mid January that is commonly known as the holiday season.

What are all of the events just so we know what the phrase is covering? Mid-Dec to mid-Jan is an excessive range, the holiday period typically means 24th Dec - 2nd-5th Jan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley 
I'd feel a bit confused if someone said to me "Have a happy Ramadan"

But they do in the countries that primarily celebrate it and I don't see why it's confusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJIHlP10ylQ
post #782 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What are all of the events just so we know what the phrase is covering? Mid-Dec to mid-Jan is an excessive range, the holiday period typically means 24th Dec - 2nd-5th Jan.

 

I'm happy with that range too, I was being broad because we've got people from different countries talking here, who may have different understandings.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

But they do in the countries that primarily celebrate it and I don't see why it's confusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJIHlP10ylQ

 

Great, if those people in those countries want to wish me Happy Ramadan (or y'know, whatever they actually say) I'll take it as a positive thing.  But nevertheless, I'm as white as they come, don't look at all like a muslim and I don't observe Ramadan, so it's a bit weird.  If Ramadan happens to be a national holiday (pretty sure it isn't, since it lasts a month, right?) so everyone enjoys the period then I think happy holidays would be more appropriate there too.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #783 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 
Great, if those people in those countries want to wish me Happy Ramadan (or y'know, whatever they actually say) I'll take it as a positive thing.  But nevertheless, I'm as white as they come, don't look at all like a muslim and I don't observe Ramadan, so it's a bit weird.  If Ramadan happens to be a national holiday (pretty sure it isn't, since it lasts a month, right?) so everyone enjoys the period then I think happy holidays would be more appropriate there too.

Actually that example illustrates an important point. It is considered rude for non-muslims to eat in view of muslims who are fasting during Ramadan. In general other religions are much stricter than Christianity so it is better to be sensitive to their practices when you are aware of them. One on one between two individuals it is usually no big deal and any misunderstanding in greetings is overlooked, but for corporations and the government it is better to be generic about the holiday season in order to be inclusive of all the people not just those of a particular religion. That said, Christmas has already been genericized and commercialized to the point that Christians should accept that it is no longer a holy day and learn to live with it. Of course Christmas, technically, never was an actual sacred day according to the bible so there is nothing really to argue about.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #784 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

 
Quote:
Quote:
...making death threats against strangers over the pettiest of slights, masquerading as bravado.
I'm very truly sorry about that. I was wondering what part of my comment made you so upset. Actually the part about the cricket bat was not a threat at all. It was stated as "perhaps" and  "if" and "probably" and "years ago" and then a question. I have no reason to threaten you whatsoever. The part of my comment that was a borderline infraction was the first part where I postulated something about your mental state. Again, sorry about that, but by all means keep up the insults against everyone as they are rather entertaining since your are not very good at insults. 

I take your non-apology for what it is.

Your despicable threat is completely unacceptable and you should have been banned for it. You were obviously getting extremely irritated with my stance and decided to throw a googly. Trying to dress it up with ifs and buts does nothing to lessen the nastiness of it. I have certainly been sorely tempted to reply in kind, but my conscience is winning the battle not to so far.

There was nothing borderline about your comment on my mental capacity; that was simply a statement—I have no problem with that.

I probably am very poor at fine-tuning insults, as I don't make a habit of insulting people. I haven't insulted anyone here at AI. I may have made criticisms, but they are generally justified.

I admit that I was being deliberately negative about your description of Panama; it sounds a beautiful place.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/17/14 at 7:30am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #785 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I haven't insulted anyone here at AI. I may have made criticisms, but they are generally justified.


In just the past three days we've seen these so no need to go back any further. Take a moment to read back thru them and point out which ones were not intended as insults. I suspect you aren't reading your posts before hitting "send" if you think they aren't being perceived as personal attacks by other forum members.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181848/sketchy-report-claims-photos-show-5-5-inch-iphone-6l-display-logic-board-and-2-915mah-battery/40#post_2580514
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181770/microsoft-says-surface-pro-3-more-powerful-flexible-than-macbook-air-in-latest-ads/160#post_2580432
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/180509/apples-new-icloud-storage-plans-cheap-for-consumers-even-cheaper-for-developers/160#post_2580350
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181845/apple-highlights-corporate-diversity-with-new-showcase-of-company-vice-presidents#post_2580014
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/600#post_2579888
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/520#post_2579372

I'm noticing a pattern of obsessing over anything mStone or Crowley says too. Perhaps you'd be happier if you just ignored them. Make it easy and imagine that you're the responsible adult who just needs to let it go rather making sure the childish personal attacks continue by responding to everything they say.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #786 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


In your world, where people are offended by being greeted with 'Happy Christmas.'

Try again.

Nope, you try again.  I've not mentioned anyone being offended by being greeted with "Happy Christmas".  Not once.  I've been very explicit about the fact that I wasn't talking about any offense, I was talking about inclusiveness.  That you still don't understand the opposing argument after Vishnu knows how many pages is a continual reminder of the fact that you aren't interested in the debate, just in getting a rise.  Mark of a troll.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #787 of 798
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Who in the world doesn't want to have a good morning?


If I’m having a good morning, something has gone wrong.

post #788 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Then you're a hypocrite for taking the garb of a religious festival in vain. You're also incredibly condescending to children, who can apparently study trigonometry and write symphonies, but whose feeble minds can't cope with understanding 'the meaning of Christmas.'

Blindness, thy name is Post of mstone.

As has been shown above Christmas is seen by many as a secular celebration. This is why I don't think, outside the US, that wishing a merry Christmas in predominantly culturally Christian societies is considered such a taboo. Also these counties have been celebrating Christmas for millennia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because some non-Christians celebrate Christmas we have to assume all non-Christians celebrate Christmas? I guess that mean people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day are Mexican-Irish?¡

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

But can't anybody be wished a happy st Patricks day, or us it just us red heads, spud faces and be-freckled?

Still, I am happy with a neutral term like Seasons greetings.

I don't like "happy holidays". Firstly that term , as used in the US, means either a holy day or a publically mandated day off. ( As it happens that latter meaning would include Christmas Day in the US and other Christian and culturally Christian countries). Only Hannakuh would be a holy day in the first meaning around that time; however, as far as I am aware, that's not really a big deal outside the US. British Jews celebrate Christmas precisely because it is seen as a largely secular festival.

Holidays can also mean any time off, or (more commonly) vacation in British and Hiberno English. I would wish a happy holidays to someone travelling to Spain on vacation. It sounds odd to my ears at Christmas unless people are going skiing. In it's other main meaning - as time off whether you travel or not - it could also be clunky and ill judged because not everybody gets time off around Christmas.

So seasons greetings is my neutral choice over here.
Edited by asdasd - 8/17/14 at 12:52pm
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #789 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because some non-Christians celebrate Christmas we have to assume all non-Christians celebrate Christmas? I guess that mean people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day are Mexican-Irish?¡

The point still stands that it's arrogant to impose your religion on anyone else and consider them inferior scum if they don't have the same cultural traditions as you.

Still, I am happy with a neutral term like Seasons greetings.

So seasons greetings is my neutral choice over here.

You shouldn't be happy with the term 'Season's Greetings'; you should be ashamed of it.

It's a weaselly way of saying 'Happy Christmas.' Spring, summer, autumn and winter are seasons. We don't wish each other a happy autumn.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #790 of 798
Happy Yueltide. Bit more paganistic.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #791 of 798

I think we ought to end the thread with this.

 

 

 

It offends everyone equally, which is really what matters. 

post #792 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


If I’m having a good morning, something has gone wrong.

 

Wow, really, what the heck are you doing at night that makes you so grumpy when you get up. I think you need a hug, lot's and lot's of hugs ........ ........ and kisses, lot's of hug's and kisses. They fix everything or a good wank, okay, lot's of hug's, kisses and a good wank, maybe a nice hot bubble bath, okay, lot's of hug's, kisses, a good wank and a bubble bath, hhhmmm maybe a nice back massage, uuuhhhh, okay lot's of hug's, kisses a good wank, bubble bath and a nice back massage, oooohhh and mayb........ no, no, no, no, shutup, no more, you are the one of the most demanding voices in my head, I rather be miserable, huh, sorry Tallest, your right.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #793 of 798

You’re a light in the darkness, Relic.

post #794 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

You’re a light in the darkness, Relic.

 

Seconded.

 

A ray of sunshine in this miserable world.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #795 of 798
Which can't be copied, even if it was the right thing to do.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #796 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No-one expects the whole world to acknowledge Christmas. That is just the paranoia that is floating around your head.

Christmas is huge in China. You'd like it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/24/seven-fascinating-facts-about-christmas-in-china/

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #797 of 798
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Christmas is huge in China. You'd like it.

 

Santa playing the sax? I can dig it. That needs to be picked up here.

 

I’m to understand that in Japan, it’s traditional to go to KFC for Christmas.

post #798 of 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Christmas is huge in China. You'd like it.

Santa playing the sax? I can dig it. That needs to be picked up here.

I’m to understand that in Japan, it’s traditional to go to KFC for Christmas.

Someone should encourage them to go to Turkey instead. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved