or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple remembers Robin Williams with iTunes tribute page

Apple remembers Robin Williams with iTunes tribute page

post #1 of 101
Following the untimely death of actor and comedian Robin Williams on Monday, Apple has dedicated a special featured iTunes section to a collection of his best work, ranging from classic comedy routines to movies.

The new section, titled "Remembering Robin Williams," showed up in the iTunes app's top carousel on Tuesday and points to a number of well-known movies, TV shows and audio recordings of Williams' stand-up acts.

Accompanying the iTunes Store selections is a brief explanatory note regarding Williams' life and professional career.

One of the most beloved and unforgettable performers in the history of show business, Robin Williams brought laughter and inspiration to millions. Throughout a career that spanned five decades, Williams evolved from stand up comedian to international movie star. Among the great masters of improv, he transfixed audiences with a mile-a-minute comic energy. Williams' Golden Globe-winning turn in Good Morning, Vietnam demonstrated that his versatile acting talents were equally suited to evoking dramatic complexity. Many of Williams' most iconic performances--in Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, and his Oscar-winning triumph Good Will Hunting--were dazzling high-wire acts that left audiences in tears of laughter one minute and tears of poignancy the next

Apple most recently used a monologue from the movie "Dead Poets Society," which starred Williams as English teacher John Keating, as a basis for the ongoing "Your Verse" iPad ad campaign. The excerpt in part quotes Walt Whitman's poem "O Me! O Life!"

"O me! O life! Of the questions of these recurring; Of the endless trains of the faithless; Of cities filled with the foolish; What good amid these, O me, O life" Answer. That you are here; That life exists and identity; That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse," Keating says, emphasizing the last line to his charges, "That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

Apple has used the "Your Verse" campaign to highlight not only the capabilities of iPad, but of its users. With the iPad and iOS App Store nearly anything is possible, the company contends in its ads, illustrating the various ways its tablet is put to use by explorers, musicians, writers, music makers and more.

Among the thousands expressing their condolences on social media yesterday was Apple CEO Tim Cook, who wrote the following on Twitter:

August 12, 2014

The recipient of multiple awards, including an Oscar and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's prestigious Cecil B. DeMille Award, Williams died in his Tiburon, Calif. home on Monday at the age of 63.
post #2 of 101

A terrible shame that the depression and character flaws that make a person become an actor, entertainer and comedian are also the traits that push a person to destruction. He was a one-of-a-kind.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 101
R.I.P
post #4 of 101

It's a shame that it's not even 24 hours since the news was released, and Apple is already cashing in on William's death. I'm fully convinced the entertainment industry sees it's actors worth more after death than they are alive. 

I'm a fan of William's work, I own many of his movies on DVD already. I hope his legacy continues on for years of laughter with younger generations. 

post #5 of 101
Suicide by hanging. Shame. RIP
post #6 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

It's a shame that it's not even 24 hours since the news was released, and Apple is already cashing in on William's death. I'm fully convinced the entertainment industry sees it's actors worth more after death than they are alive. 

I'm a fan of William's work, I own many of his movies on DVD already. I hope his legacy continues on for years of laughter with younger generations. 

Cashing in? In times of loss, people will search for his works. No shame in providing a little area for us. Apple isn't jacking up the prices.

For anyone who needs help, get them help.
post #7 of 101

The problem isn't Apple it's you. Those cynical people who see money or a conspiracy in everything tragic. It has to be terrible to live a life like that, bereft of total joy but instead look inside and underneath everything that happens.

post #8 of 101
Quote:

Welcome to a capitalist society. In lieu of grief, we pay our respects by purchasing the works that brought us closer to the departed artist and ultimately to ourselves. Somehow it all works out.

post #9 of 101

So sad. I felt a palpable sadness yesterday, much more than hearing about other well known celebrities. I grew up imitating Mork and loved the poignancy of Dead Poets Society.

The silver lining is that Williams' passing will amplify discussions surrounding mental illnesses like Depression. So insidious and easy to hide. Secrecy and stigma will be further dissolved as they are exposed to the light of day.

RIP

post #10 of 101

Nice to see the trolls are out already. You must be so happy sitting behind your computer, telling people they lead sad little insignificant pathetic lives. Hope that works out well for you. Obviously you can't comprehend the respect of allowing time of passing before creating a cash positive inflow to a celebrity's stock portfolio. But what should you care, capitalism and monetary gain lives on. 

post #11 of 101
Originally Posted by wigby View Post
...capitalist...
...capitalism...

What on Earth...

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #12 of 101
Such a shame. An amazing man and a very talented actor and comedian. I had the very good fortune of spending a couple of hours with him one on one. He was down to earth, and seemingly un-affected by his celebrity. Very, very sad. Rest in peace Robin, you will be missed.
post #13 of 101
Where the heck is Good Will Hunting in the dedication page???
post #14 of 101
He stupidly chose to kill himself despite all wealth, success and admiration by the same people posting messages around here - there is nothing "untimely" when you are the one taking such a pathetic decision.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #15 of 101

I read that he had some financial troubles.

He could have just faked his death instead, because all his movies are riding high on all of the charts now, including Amazon where I just took a look.

Anyway, rip to him, because he was a good actor and comedian and I have seen plenty of his movies. He also had some alcohol problems, so I guess it shouldn't be any surprise that people do sometimes choose to kill themselves.

post #16 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

He stupidly chose to kill himself despite all wealth, success and admiration by the same people posting messages around here - there is nothing "untimely" when you are the one taking such a pathetic decision.

I hope that you never have to battle substance abuse or depression issues. Not all of us can be perfect.
post #17 of 101

The only stupidity involved is your lack of knowledge on major depression.

post #18 of 101
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
I hope that you never have to battle substance abuse or depression issues. Not all of us can be perfect.

As someone battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. And as him, not battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. Killing yourself is never the answer, in any circumstance, and you don’t have to have any experience with thoughts related thereto to be “allowed” to say so. Get over it.

post #19 of 101
Quote:

......wealth, success and admiration.....

Does not equal happiness. A talented person is not without flaws. Sometimes the inwardly saddest person is the most outwardly funniest.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #20 of 101
Ease up on the hostility guys. Robin Williams gave so many positive things to the world we at least owe him that.
post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As someone battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. And as him, not battling depression, it was a pathetic decision. Killing yourself is never the answer, in any circumstance, and you don’t have to have any experience with thoughts related thereto to be “allowed” to say so. Get over it.

I'm sorry, i forgot. You are always right and there is no room for discussion.
post #22 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Does not equal happiness. A talented person is not without flaws. Sometimes the inwardly saddest person is the most outwardly funniest.

Pagliacci the clown.
post #23 of 101

I'd change the word 'pathetic' to 'tragic.' Severe depression often robs the mind of metacognition. There are many psychological illnesses that prevent a certain awareness of what might seem obvious to an outsider. Anorexia Nervosa is one that comes to mind. Experts used to think therapy then intervention to get them to eat. Now they understand that it's the other way around. The low body weight literally changes their brain and thus the way they think.

It's common to make a moral judgment on someone else's actions without taking into account the effects of devastating mental illnesses.

post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'd change the word 'pathetic' to 'tragic.' Severe depression often robs the mind of metacognition. There are many psychological illnesses that prevent a certain awareness of what might seem obvious to an outsider. Anorexia Nervosa is one that comes to mind. Experts used to think therapy then intervention to get them to eat. Now they understand that it's the other way around. The low body weight literally changes their brain and thus the way they think.

It's common to make a moral judgment on someone else's actions without taking into account the effects of devastating mental illnesses.

I'd be inclined to agree with this. We don't know what was going through his mind or what demons he was battling. Suicide isn't the answer but I can't bring myself to judge someone who clearly was not in a proper state is mind at that moment.

Celebrity deaths don't usually spark a response from me, but Williams' death really struck a chord with me. I watched him as a kid on Mork and Mindy and have been an admirer for my whole life.
post #25 of 101
So long, Robin. You will be missed.

Thanks for naming the Nano.
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #26 of 101
As Steven P. Jobs was a personal friend of Robin Williams I know my former boss would have paid a tribute on the Front Page and showcase the great talent through iTunes.

Robin would expect no less.
post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cashing in? In times of loss, people will search for his works. No shame in providing a little area for us. Apple isn't jacking up the prices.

For anyone who needs help, get them help.

I agree, it's not cashing in.  Whenever an artist dies, there is an increased interest in their work.  Apple is just making it easier to find.

And there is another important reason....Robin Williams' voice was still being used in Apple's "Your Verse" ad campaign until yesterday and the commercial featuring him was still in rotation.  It only makes sense that Apple acknowledges it...as Tim Cook did yesterday.

post #28 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Celebrity deaths don't usually spark a response from me

That's probably because most celebrities are crap. Now with all these stupid reality TV shows, there are people who are famous for doing and achieving absolutely nothing. Is anybody really going to give a crap when somebody like that dies?

Robin Williams was truly talented and had a very long career, and many people had a connection with his movies, so he is obviously on a different level.

post #29 of 101
Quote:

Money doesn't buy happiness.
post #30 of 101
Quote:

None of those things buy happiness. They help, but there are far more important things in life. And this fundamentally misunderstands what depression truly is. Which is to say, depression is much more than 'a + b + c = happy', or even the standard reasoning people might apply to their lives. It can be something much deeper, with potential biological ties, and plenty of other factors like substance abuse (e.g. some drugs and alcohol) can have a dramatic cause or serve as catalyst. And all it takes is one really awful night and decision for it to end. People who want to call it 'pathetic' should probably think that through carefully before they toss 'advice' like that out to a friend in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Killing yourself is never the answer. And someone thinking clearly would realize that life really can have so much to offer, or might realize the impact that decision might have on loved ones and friends. But it's not that simple, is it? If you're actually familiar with depression—clinical depression—you know that.

I suppose the only reason why I bothered responding to these comments is because if someone does know someone who is genuinely struggling with depression they should make an effort to understand it, and play a much more productive role in being there for those friends or loved ones than the comment 'killing yourself is pathetic' suggests. If someone already feels so lost that they're considering ending their life, those aren't the words they need to hear to make it through to another day.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #31 of 101
Quote:

He stupidly chose to kill himself despite all wealth, success and admiration by the same people posting messages around here

From the book 'Cocktail' by Heywood Gould:

“So load the guy up. Give him love, give him hope, give him a future, then take it all away from him; do a job on him”

post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I suppose the only reason why I bothered responding to these comments is because if someone does know someone who is genuinely struggling with depression they should make an effort to understand it, and play a much more productive role in being there for those friends or loved ones than the comment 'killing yourself is pathetic' suggests. If someone already feels so lost that they're considering ending their life, those aren't the words they need to hear to make it through to another day.

Well said. Not everything is black and white.
post #33 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Killing yourself is never the answer.

Taking that one line out of context, I just want to say that sometimes killing oneself is the answer, especially with regard to painful terminal illnesses. I don't want anyone denying me my rights to do with my life what I want and no one should be forced to do something against their will.

Edited by SpamSandwich - 8/12/14 at 5:45pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 101
Quote:

Fortunately, for you, you have no idea what you are talking about. 

post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Taking that one line out of context, I just want to say that sometimes killing oneself is the answer, especially with regard to painful terminal illnesses. I don't want anyone denying me my rights to do with my life what I want and no one should be forced to do something against their will.
I'll let you terminate yourself in this situation if you sign an affidavit stating that nothing and no one is responsible for your predicament.
post #36 of 101
Quote:

And if Apple did nothing, you would have bashed them for not recognizing the talents of a great performer and human being. I for one loved looking at the page and never knew how many movies he made.

I'm sure Lauren Bacall will have her tribute as well...her death was just announced tonight. I guess Apple will be raking in the cash now, right? Another will certainly be on the way as they always come in three's.

post #37 of 101

Read the books by psychiatrist Kay Redfield Jamison. They can be purchased in iBooks. Use the suicide of Robin Williams to learn something rather than parading your ignorance as a badge of honor.

Ignorance of mental health issues which lead to substance abuse and suicide is not somebody's fault. William's clearly was not just having a couple of downer days. Manic Depression, which Williams likely had, can be controlled for most, but for some, the treatments do not work. 

post #38 of 101
Quote:

I guess you are lucky enough not to suffer through a mental disorder. His drastic decision despite those successes show that depression is real. Unfortunately we live in a society where we no longer care about treating people with mental health disorders.
post #39 of 101
@sestewart

"Obviously you can't comprehend the respect of allowing time of passing before creating a cash positive inflow to a celebrity's stock portfolio"

Well said !
post #40 of 101
Untimely?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple remembers Robin Williams with iTunes tribute page