or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple, Inc. Diversity video narrated by new VP of Human Resources Denise Young-Smith

Apple, Inc. Diversity video narrated by new VP of Human Resources Denise Young-Smith - Page 3

post #81 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So now you can read Tim Cooks mind!
Awesome!!!

Now tell me when they will bring the iWatch!

STOP making SHEET UP!  for the last time.  Just because it is your viewpoint don't assign that viewpoint to Mr Cook.

You should read my post again and then decide who's making stuff up.
post #82 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

You should read my post again and then decide who's making stuff up.

ok.  Explain to me what YOU THINK Cook said

post #83 of 105
Quote:

ok.  Explain to me what YOU THINK Cook said

You do not understand me.
And that's fine.
Indians have a nice way to end a discussion (so I've read): howgh.
post #84 of 105
Quote:

You do not understand me.
And that's fine.
Indians have a nice way to end a discussion (so I've read): howgh.

Stop dodging the question.

Did you like Tim Cooks statement about diversity?

Yes or No.

You dodging the question is showing your weakness.

post #85 of 105
Quote:

Quote:

And, if I may add, what ethnic percentage do they strive for?

Is it based on the ethnic population percentage as defined by Wikipedia for example (in that case Apple has to hire more whites and a lot less Asians).

Is it based on the ethnic distribution of everyone graduated at school or university (in a specific year)?

Is it simply an even distribution of all colors and sexual preferences?

Or is it a percentage indicated by press whining?

One thing is clear mr Cook isn't happy with his current work force, and that I wouldn't like if I worked for Apple.

Mr Cook never said he wasn't happy with the current work force.  Far from it.  Almost every single earnings call he gushes over how great his employees are ( you should listen to the earnings call to get a better understanding of how much respect and admiration Cook has for his fellow workers) and how they are the reason for Apple's success.  You can't just take one sentence out of context.

he said he was disappointed with the results.  What does that mean?  Who knows.  Go ask Cook before you start trying to read his mind. Maybe Cook got other data that he's not releasing to the public?  I'm pretty sure there was a comments section in the survey.  What if 30% of the workers said the lack of diversity was a problem?  Then what?  Is Cook going to say there is nothing to work on?  Really?

What was the alternative?  Did you want him to say he's 100% satisfied with the results?   Really? 

What utter bullshit you spout.

You say, "He was disappointed with the results. What does that mean? Who knows (sic)."

I’ll tell you what it means. It means that he is in sop to the politically correct Orwellian brigade of mind police, who want to brainwash everyone into thinking that four legs good, two legs bad. In other words: I'm a white male and should feel very guilty of my dominant past; to make amends, I’ll pretend that I'm touchy-freely and am embarrassed by the stale, tired world of white male superiority. I will say that I'm unhappy with my current workforce and will pander to every pressure group in the name of liberal inclusiveness.

When what he needs to be saying is:

Get behind me, Satan.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #86 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What utter bullshit you spout.

You say, "He was disappointed with the results. What does that mean? Who knows (sic)."

I’ll tell you what it means. It means that he is in sop to the politically correct Orwellian brigade of mind police, who want to brainwash everyone into thinking that four legs good, two legs bad. In other words: I'm a white male and should feel very guilty of my dominant past; to make amends, I’ll pretend that I'm touchy-freely and am embarrassed by the stale, tired world of white male superiority. I will say that I'm unhappy with my current workforce and will pander to every pressure group in the name of liberal inclusiveness.

When what he needs to be saying is:

Get behind me, Satan.

Nope.  Cook did not say that at all.  You said that.

Calm down holmes.  You are just making yourself look foolish with that rant.

Stop injecting your political views into what Cook said.

Stop trying to read Cooks mind and take his statement at face value.  Cook said he was disappointed and you jump to the conclusion he was disappointed about too many White males.  But you are just guessing.  Cook NEVER said there were too many White males.  Maybe he was talking about the 80/20 break down of Men vs Women in the tech sector?  Or the 65/35 ratio in non-tech sector jobs between Men and Women.  Or maybe the 72/28 ratio between Men/Women in the leadership positions.

Did you even read Tim's comments?  Diversity is way more than just race.  Yet that's the only thing you are focusing on.

"Our definition of diversity goes far beyond the traditional categories of race, gender, and ethnicity. It includes personal qualities that usually go unmeasured, like sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities" Tim Cook

He said he was disappointed.  That's it.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  You are the one adding your additional BS philosophy into his comment.

Get behind me, Satan. LOLLOLLOLLLOLLL!!!! 

I really don't know if I should feel sorry for you or despise you.

Edited by sog35 - 8/13/14 at 1:15pm
post #87 of 105
Quote:

I'm a white male and should feel very guilty of my dominant past;

You can't help yourself can you.

wow. so sad.

post #88 of 105

HEADLINE:  Cook happy with 70% White Male workforce

Do you not see how that would be a total PR nightmare?

Maybe, if someone was brain-dead enough to post something so blatantly idiotic. Try again, this time with a sane headline.

99.9999999%

“If I say it enough, that will make it true!”

stop using an old lawyer trick - diversion stick to the topic, please.

The irony hurts.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #89 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe, if someone was brain-dead enough to post something so blatantly idiotic. Try again, this time with a sane headline.

Knowing the anti-Apple press that's the headline they would use.

Actual Wall St Journal Headline today:

Apple Says Its Workforce Is 70% Male

Diversity Data Mirrors That of Other Big Tech Companies; Cook: 'I'm Not Satisfied'

http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-says-u-s-workforce-is-70-male-1407860457?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

If Cook said he was happy with the survey the headline would say this:

Diversity Data Mirrors That of Other Big Tech Companies; Cook: 'I'm  Satisfied'

Dont be ignorant.

You know the financial media loves to bash Apple every chance they get.

post #90 of 105
Quote:

The irony hurts.

Not really. Feels great.

post #91 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He could've responded as he does when often asked about upcoming products... "We believe we have the best employees in our company's history and we're very excited about what our diverse culture of innovation will create next."

Always...ALWAYS talk about the product and dismiss self-serving detractors with their own agenda.
Steve Jobs might have said something like that. But then he wasn't part of the PC brigade like Cook is.
post #92 of 105

Diversity Data Mirrors That of Other Big Tech Companies; Cook: 'I'm  Satisfied'

See, there’s nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

post #93 of 105
Quote:

See, there’s nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

You really need to take a class on Public Relations.

post #94 of 105

You really need to take a class on Public Relations.

“We’re doing just as well as anyone else in the industry and are representative of the country as a whole.”
“OH NO THIS IS HORRIBLE YOU ARE EVIL”

No one does this. Ever.

post #95 of 105
Quote:

Non-threatening workplace? What is this, a creche? How the hell do you define 'non-threatening'? In my experience, adrenalin tends to focus the mind and make me perform a lot better. 

Adrenaline and motivation can be achieved without intimidation, insults, derogatory remarks, and behaviors which foster and institutionalize discrimination and prejudice.  Your account here on AI indicates a location in the UK, so it is understandable that you might have differing standards of conduct and ideas of what is acceptable in a professional workplace.  There are certain laws here in the US which go beyond what some would consider necessary, but they are the laws nevertheless. But many companies find that surpassing the letter of the law is a strong force at maintaining a harmonious workplace.  Allowing divisiveness and hostility within the ranks is just not acceptable. 

post #96 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Its a bigger pity that some people think those things don't already exist and need to be measured and regulated by a liberal government.

Its a bigger pity that most minorities aren't interested in doing what so many successful white men are.  Because white men are so....white, and nerdy, with their good grades, and hard work, what a bunch of chumps.  Who would wanna be like that?

hint:

The wealthy.

I really don't think this requires a response, because it is actually proving my point. I hope some day you will outgrow your prejudices. 

post #97 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

Quote:

And that's really all that needs to be said about 'diversity.' The only diversity Apple need to exercise is discriminating between those who are the best for the job (the A players in Steve Jobs's words) and those who aren't.
Apple is a business so of course they pick the best person for the job. Do you really think they make those amazing profit margins by meeting quotas and promoting less qualified individuals based on their skin color? This is a PR video so it is accurate but it is also the way they want to be perceived. This is no different than the anti-child labor and green initiatives Apple has recently publicizing. They figure if they lead the way, many other companies will follow their lead and embrace diversity not for diversity's sake but to "inspire creativity and innovation" as they put it.

And if you want to sell to a broader customer base, it's important to show that you are a good corporate citizen as well. Additionally, Apple sells world wide, as a world wide company, they need to be in touch with all cultures. The world has long since changed since colonial days.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #98 of 105
I'm sure she's a very nice woman, however the video I heard was actually narrated by Angela Ahrendts.

I suppose not many people met her in person or listened to other works Angela Ahrends has accomplished.

That said, do you think it's time for Al Gore to ask Phil Schiller to leave Apple..? Phil might be the "Class Clown" and there for comic relief, but Steve Jobs is gone now. Who is he going to be the nightly clown to?
post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

And if you want to sell to a broader customer base, it's important to show that you are a good corporate citizen as well. Additionally, Apple sells world wide, as a world wide company, they need to be in touch with all cultures. The world has long since changed since colonial days.

Good one!

Ether served

post #100 of 105
Cook needs to put his money where his mouth is. If he's so concerned about diversity, then where is the Tim Cook (or Apple) scholarship fund awarding scholarships for women and minorities to pursue a career in technology/engineering/computer science? The healthcare company I work for has awarded over $9M in college scholarships to minorities so they can pursue careers in healthcare.

Jony Ive supported a campaign in the UK to make design and technology part of the curriculum in UK schools. In the United States we have Project Lead the Way (PLTW) which is a non-profit provider of STEM programs for high schools. Perhaps Apple could make a large grant donation to PLTW to help support schools with the cost of covering these programs? Tim Cook said the youngest developer at WWDC was 13. Supporting STEM programs in K-12 education is more important than ever. I'll be interested to see what really meaningful things Apple does here that's not just lip service to the PC brigade.
post #101 of 105
The world has long since changed since colonial days.

Not sure what that has to do with being a good corporate citizen nor the rest of the post...

post #102 of 105

Hiring solely for diversity's sake is a trap to be avoided.  Hiring just to meet some "quota" or perceived "quota" can spell doom for organizations. It happens all the time.

Hire the best you can find and afford -- regardless of the growing long list of diversities: gender, race, religion, sex, nationality, age, shoe size, right-left handed, hair color, college attended, weight, height, eye color, mood swings, coffee drinker, weed habits...on and on and on ad infinitude.

The list and the endless body of the "diverse" can never be satisfied. Hire the best regardless. If not you will surely become mediocre. Then history.

Good To Great To Gone.

tjohn, TLCS-All Consultants.

count_zero_interupt
count_zero_interupt
post #103 of 105
Quote:

The world has long since changed since colonial days.

Not sure what that has to do with being a good corporate citizen nor the rest of the post...

Went right over your head, I see.  :D

post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Cook needs to put his money where his mouth is. If he's so concerned about diversity, then where is the Tim Cook (or Apple) scholarship fund awarding scholarships for women and minorities to pursue a career in technology/engineering/computer science? The healthcare company I work for has awarded over $9M in college scholarships to minorities so they can pursue careers in healthcare.

You know, there are more ways to support something than one way? If the jobs are there now, then the students will pursue the right educations... so your company can push while Apple pulls... A degree means nothing without a good chance of using it, and the job opportunities mean nothing if there are only white males that will be allowed to fill them...

post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post

I'm sure she's a very nice woman, however the video I heard was actually narrated by Angela Ahrendts.

I suppose not many people met her in person or listened to other works Angela Ahrends has accomplished.

That said, do you think it's time for Al Gore to ...

You bring up a good name. Most people don't know this but Al Gore serves the function of a canary in a coal mine. If Al falls over dead, everyone else will make a rush for the doors.... :D

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple, Inc. Diversity video narrated by new VP of Human Resources Denise Young-Smith