or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows

Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows - Page 4

post #121 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckwng View Post

Mine was fixed in March and just broke down again. Even though it's after the 90 day warranty, the apple store genius offered to repair it for me free of charge; and he said he's seen many similar cases with 2011 MBP.

That comes up at times with the use of refurbished boards. At this point they probably don't have a lot of new logic board replacements. It's hard to know what the quality is like with refurbished boards. As I mentioned before the problem is with a weak solder joint. That's kind of why I objected to the nonsense about entitlement when people complain about a design flaw. So far the 2012s seem to be okay. If they either improved the cooling with the switch to rmbps or fixed the solder problem. Either way I hope this doesn't show up in later generations.

post #122 of 150

It is completely unreasonable for $2000 computers to break after 2.5-3 years. Anyone who suggests anything else is a complete and utter fanboi. There is obviously a widespread issue which the problem should be investigated then a solution created to stop it from reoccurring - such as a revised logic board. Then there should be a replacement program to replace the dead boards. 

Users of these computers aren't demanding unreasonable things, they are just asking for Apple to be reasonable. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

Heaps of 68K and PPC Macs. Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2012. iPad 2. iPhone 4. 

post #123 of 150

When you spend that amount of money for this laptop it should last many years.I agree with you you should get another logic board replaced for free if it was a lemon in the first place.Apple 's quality control is going downhill I see now. before years ago the machines made were much better and more durable.

post #124 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

It is completely unreasonable for $2000 computers to break after 2.5-3 years. Anyone who suggests anything else is a complete and utter fanboi. There is obviously a widespread issue which the problem should be investigated then a solution created to stop it from reoccurring - such as a revised logic board. Then there should be a replacement program to replace the dead boards. 

Users of these computers aren't demanding unreasonable things, they are just asking for Apple to be reasonable. 

I wonder why Apple doesn't further distinguish itself from other PC manufacturers by providing 3 years of warranty as standard. Even the Mac Pro comes standard with only one year of warranty; in contrast, Dell workstations start with three years of onsite service with the option of up to five years of coverage. If Apple computers do last longer on average than PCs, such a move would give its products a major vote of confidence at little financial risk. A product's warranty tells you how confident the manufacturer is in its workmanship and quality control. If something comes with a three year warranty, its manufacturer is guaranteeing at its own risk that the product will work for at least three years. 

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 8/20/14 at 6:00am
post #125 of 150
Of course it is reasonable for $2000 computers to break.

They are the equivalent of the hot hatchback, designed more to go fast rather than actually last.
post #126 of 150

For $2000 it should last at least 5 years. take audio equipment some of these speakers are over 30 years old and still playing with no problems.Reference to Quad 57 speakers.

post #127 of 150
Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post
...ATTEMPTING TO MAKE MY POST “PC”...

What was politically incorrect about it?

Apple will accost ATI for the defect, force them to pay reparations, and then offer repairs to their affected customers, just like the GeForce 8600M problem from before. It’s not a big deal.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #128 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will accost ATI for the defect, force them to pay reparations, and then offer repairs to their affected customers, just like the GeForce 8600M problem from before. It’s not a big deal.

One might be inclined to wonder WHEN they intend to do that, but I'll leave that discussion to those who actually have a horse in the race.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #129 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What was politically incorrect about it?

That is unlikely for a couple reasons. The first is that this is a solder problem rather than a problem with the gpu itself. I'm not sure whether the specifications for the solder joint were influenced by AMD's (ATI is long gone) own specifications. On 2010 models they initiated a repair program on affected models by the 2 year mark. Unfortunately I can't find the 320m link anymore, so take it for what you will. To the best of my recollection it was limited to around 3 years from purchase, which many of these machines have hit or will hit soon. You also have to consider that it's too late to help a lot of these guys.

post #130 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Quote:

That is unlikely for a couple reasons. The first is that this is a solder problem rather than a problem with the gpu itself. I'm not sure whether the specifications for the solder joint were influenced by AMD's (ATI is long gone) own specifications. On 2010 models they initiated a repair program on affected models by the 2 year mark. Unfortunately I can't find the 320m link anymore, so take it for what you will. To the best of my recollection it was limited to around 3 years from purchase, which many of these machines have hit or will hit soon. You also have to consider that it's too late to help a lot of these guys.

The graphics cards in question are probably not standard parts either. They are integrated with Apple's custom graphics switching hardware.

post #131 of 150

Hi, I had this problem, and decided to see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxx1wSN4wM&feature=youtu.be&a

Did the process in 40 minutes, and everything is working perfectly, since the problem was with the three weeks, I'm very happy, hope you can help ;)

Vitor

post #132 of 150

To clarify, this issue doesn't affect the 13" model, as it does not have a discreet graphics card like the 15" and 17" models.

post #133 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The graphics cards in question are probably not standard parts either. They are integrated with Apple's custom graphics switching hardware.

That may be an issue of firmware, but I was mainly pointing out that the problem was in how they're attached to the board. It may have nothing to do with AMD, but Tallest seems to believe that Apple never makes a mistake, even an unforeseeable one. They wouldn't be the first to have problems with lead free solder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsdesigner View Post

Hi, I had this problem, and decided to see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHxx1wSN4wM&feature=youtu.be&a

Did the process in 40 minutes, and everything is working perfectly, since the problem was with the three weeks, I'm very happy, hope you can help ;)

Vitor

I wouldn't apply thermal paste like that. He uses way too much and it isn't even.  That much thermal paste will cause it to run slightly hotter, which probably isn't the desired result.

post #134 of 150

Hi Folks, I have the same issue and the local authorized tech dealer is asking US$ 1,200 to fix it!!! I have reported a complain at Apple's feedback and also on this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-

graphics-failure Which has almost 15,000 signatures! please help by going there and sign it! Let's make Apple fix this for all of us!

Regards,

Reynaldo

post #135 of 150

UDPATE!  I just got my MBPro back from Apple repair via an authorized dealer.  Found out my MBPro is a late 2011 model, but failed none the less.  Before sending it in, I tested memory with the OEM sticks and installed a clean Mavericks HDD and the problem remained.  So I installed my 16GB of RAM, left the clean install of Mavericks drive in the unit and took it in to be shipped off to Apple.  When I got it back, Apple had installed 8 GB of "their" RAM and a new logic board all for the tidy sum of $428.88 with tax.  I am asking the dealer to check with Apple for the cost of the RAM as I want to have them send it back to Apple as my 16GB of RAM works just fine.  All is well at this juncture.  Hope it "stays" fixed.

8-) 

post #136 of 150
Great. 3 year AppleCare just expired and now this hits...
post #137 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Great. 3 year AppleCare just expired and now this hits...

If it just expired you may want to take it in anyway. They might help you at an Apple Store. They're actually looking at mine right now, so I'm typing on an even older machine. The trackpad was sticking, so I thought it might be a swollen battery. We shall see. I really don't want to buy a new machine right now. Third party repair shops have less leverage in terms of what they can authorize.

post #138 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

If it just expired you may want to take it in anyway. They might help you at an Apple Store. They're actually looking at mine right now, so I'm typing on an even older machine. The trackpad was sticking, so I thought it might be a swollen battery. We shall see. I really don't want to buy a new machine right now. Third party repair shops have less leverage in terms of what they can authorize.

Expired in May - my son's machine.  My '09 13" mbp is going strong, as is my '12 and '13 mbps.  Just sent my daughter off to college with a 2.8/1TB rmbp.  Waiting up until 12:01 to order an iPhone 6 and 6+.  With the money I spend with Apple, I hope that they take care of this...

post #139 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Expired in May - my son's machine.  My '09 13" mbp is going strong, as is my '12 and '13 mbps.  Just sent my daughter off to college with a 2.8/1TB rmbp.  Waiting up until 12:01 to order an iPhone 6 and 6+.  With the money I spend with Apple, I hope that they take care of this...

I would like to know how they handle it. Mine seems to be okay other than the battery, but battery service costs too much. It also takes several days, which is ridiculous. Considering that they never solved the issue of battery swelling, they should have remained user serviceable. The old ones were $129 and could be popped out rather than $179-200 + several days of service time.

post #140 of 150

Battery problems are very common in Apple products. They should help you in this problem of yours and not charge you this exorbitant fees they have.

post #141 of 150
Remember that 1984? Well ... here it is. "THAT'S WHY 1984 WAS LIKE 1984 AFTER ALL" - this should be Apple's motto today. What a complete BS. I've been having this issue in my Early 2011 MBP for more than one year now! It is not acceptable for a company that charges premium prices for their products to come with this lame planned obsolescence and show the middle finger to their paying and loyal customers. Either Apple opens a replacement program this year or I am never buyng a f***** rotten Apple again. This is completely outrageous!!!!
post #142 of 150
Originally Posted by henser View Post
Blah blah blah, trolling, blah blah blah FUD, blah blah blah lies.

Okay. Bye.

post #143 of 150

I had that problem with my MBP 2011 model and they replaced the battery free of charge.No complaints  I have about that type of customer service.

post #144 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Right.
We know is that it is a pretty common, random, and seemingly widespread issue. Without real numbers though, none of that means anything.

without numbers you can't really say that it's common or widespread. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #145 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldo View Post

Hi Folks, I have the same issue and the local authorized tech dealer is asking US$ 1,200 to fix it!!! 

if it is out of warranty then they don't get reimbursed for the cost of the parts so that price is probably about right. 

Unlike at Apple where they can send it to their depot for perhaps half that amount regardless of how many parts they have to replace. I've had $1000 in parts replaced flat rate for $300 before. It's worth checking out. And if it turns out later that yes this is some serious and widespread issue and they issue a quality program, you will likely be able to get that flat rate back. 

post #146 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

http://action.mbp2011.com/
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #147 of 150
The graphics chip itself is not the problem, it's faulty soldering. Just had my early-2011 17" MPR GPU 'reballed' and it now runs great. Runs much cooler again and no video glitching or crashing. At all. And no need to force it to use the built-in graphics chip.
Apparently they were using a new, untested, lead-free solder at that time - and - they did a sloppy job of applying the thermal paste. So the chip would heat up, slightly melt/then dry the solder. After a few years of this, the connections go bad and the chip 'fails.' Apple wanted to charge me $995 ($600 extra because I had a 3rd party hard drive installed!) to replace the Logic Board. I found a guy online (info upon request) who does a GPU Reball (removal, clean up and re-solder) for $210. Runs like new again.
post #148 of 150

13" mbp isn't ones that fails.  You need to have i7 and discreet video card (AMD 6xxx series) that will have this problem!

post #149 of 150

Remember that your laptop should last more than 3 years?  Your first laptop cost $ 2500 (my estimation) and the second one is about $ 2500.  Your total outlay is $ 5000, Apple gives you back $ 1100.  The net is $ 3900 and you have ONE laptop.  Be it that it is BRAND NEW.  Since your daughter

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

He went to the store manager - reluctant at first - the manager looked at the history of the repairs - then finally concluded she'd refund the purchase price - so they got $1100 back on a three year old laptop.

She right away used that money to buy a brand new MacPro and paid the price difference... Then the manager said she'd give her free Apple care for 3 years to make up the cash difference she had to pay out of pocket..

Ok - I agree it's a bit obvious there is something grossly wrong with some of those Macs... Should a replacement program be offered ? Maybe. Why? Depends on the reasons.

But.... Name one other company that would completely refund your money THREE YEARS later...

While Apple is not perfect in every possible way let's face it - for some of us - they have come thru in the end - bottom line.

I don't think you will say that if you have a 2007-08 or 2011 with a discreet graphics card.  This is now middle of October and they still won't admit it!

post #150 of 150

Dude, buying a new car with 50000 warranty and then it fails right after the warranty is "YOUR PROBLEM"?  These are not small problem!  If you have a car, it is equal to the tranny breaking.  It will now cost you $ 500-800 to fix it, which is a good fraction of the cost of your computer.  Plus the ALL of the Macbook in the same series as yours are breaking in the exactly the same way.  And for the kicker, the fix isn't permanent, the design/manufacture of these MBP or the video card manufacturer is the problem.  Frankly, I don't really care at this stage who is at fault.  I just want a working laptop.  I suspect it has more to do with the mbp's design of no fan under the laptop and very weak fan is the problem.  The two largest manufacturer of video card in world has almost identical problem with 2 different generations of MBP says something Apple's design philosophy. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple ignores calls to fix 2011 MacBook Pro failures as problem grows