or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut

Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".

Why do people object to numbering products? I like it and wish Apple would apply the same convention to their other products. It makes it MUCH easier to keep track of which machines support which features. I have no trouble keeping track of things that you can do with an iPhone 5 than you can't with an iPhone 4. It's harder to keep things straight in my head with names like Late 2009 MacBook Pro. It's a less-clear identifier, an unwieldy name and an inelegant convention. Plus, in some cases, you can't tell which model you're looking at without powering it up.

I would like very much to purchase a new MacBook Pro 11. It works for software, why not hardware?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by saarek View Post
The only issue would be with regards to marketing the older models following the launch of subsequent models.

No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.

Which made it confusing as hell to shop Craigslist for a used one. Because I haven't needed or wanted one myself I haven't kept track of their development. I had to look up the order of release to figure out which model was which -- with the obvious exception of the 2 and 3 which were self-explanatory. Applying that convention consistently would sure make things easier for the casual shopper like me.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #43 of 57
Quote:

I have a feeling they'll drop the numbering and announce it as "the new iPhone".

Or the iPhone 8.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Quote:

Would be good, since we don't have 'MacBook Pro 5S' and the like. The new iPhone would be nice and simple.

Nice and confusing, more like.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:

agree with this

iPhoneAir - 4.7
iPhonePro - 5.5
iPhoneColor - 4.0 - basically iPhone5S in plastic

Nope.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's something only a blind man can hear. 1wink.gif

That at least makes sense.

Except to a leper. 😃
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #47 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

No, not in the slightest. The iPad proves this.

THANK YOU. I was about to mention this. With Apple the opposite is true where numbering is not typically part of their culture. Not sure why they put numbers after iPhones. We didn't have an iPod 4, they dropped numbers for iPad also. I don't think they'll call the next iPhone "iPhone 2014 revision", that's just annoying. They'll just sell it like all their other devices (iPod 5th gen). I've noticed the back of all iPhones just read "iPhone". This gives the back panel a clean look and announcing the next version as "The new iPhone" isn't far from reality.

I just feel like "iPhone 6" is beginning to be too much.

They should call it the iPhone S6 just to piss Samsung off.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Quote:

Maybe.  It would get rid of that awkward "S" name suffix for the "tock" years.
And it would avoid any possibility of a terrible name like "iPhone 5CS".

But without model numbers, I think it will be necessary to refer to iPhone models by year.
As in "the small 2014 iPhone" and "the big 2014 iPhone".  (Or "the 2014 iPhone Air" etc.)

The iPhone 5CS would be a terrible name, I agree.

But what about the iPhone 5sc? Seems good to go.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

And now that I wrote that, I'm not so sure. Introducing the "2015 model" when it's still 2014 just seems to clash with Apple's style. Well we'll soon know.

Good to see your doubt. Calling the 2014 iPhone the 2015 iPhone would be the height of folly.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #50 of 57
Quote:

Quote:
Accept it has not been done, the IPad with no name was 3rd, it never was sold after 4th came out titled "retina", and new one is "air" and even new mini is "retina mini"

The iPad 2 is sold today, alongside the iPad and the iPad Air. The iPad is better than the iPad 2.
Quote:
And it would avoid any possibility of a terrible name like "iPhone 5CS".

It’d be 5SC.

Strictly speaking, the iPad you refer to is called the new iPad, which just goes to show how daft and confusing it was, and why they should stick to numbers or colourfully descriptive nomenclatures.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #51 of 57
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
Strictly speaking, the iPad you refer to is called the new iPad, which just goes to show how daft and confusing it was, and why they should stick to numbers or colourfully descriptive nomenclatures.

Because it’s new. After which time it is no longer called new. It is new in the same way the current MacBook Air, Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro are new, and will no longer be new in the same way once they are no longer. It is not part of the product name nor its designation.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #52 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

Because it’s new. After which time it is no longer called new. It is new in the same way the current MacBook Air, Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro are new, and will no longer be new in the same way once they are no longer. It is not part of the product name nor its designation.

I thought it was part of the product name, though; I remember eyebrows being raised at the time.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #53 of 57
The iPhone has been a series of models.
Original
3G series (3G, 3GS)
4 series (4, 4S)
5 series (5, 5C, 5S)
If there are going to be 2 different sizes in the next series of which will undoubtedly be the thinnest & lightest iphone(s) to date then I believe they I'll be introduced by the air moniker or possibly a different name. My prediction is iPhone Air (4.7) iPhone Air Pro (5.5). If there is a 5.5 I think it will have a faster clocked A8 chip along with a little better camera features (protruding) to justify the price hike other than just having a little bigger screen.
post #54 of 57
iPhone 9. This time it's personal.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #55 of 57
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post
...iPhone Air Pro...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO

post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post
...iPhone Air Pro...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO

To be followed by the Late 2016 iPhone Air Pro Nano.

Plain ol' "iPhone 6" doesn't sound so bad NOW, does it? :)

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #57 of 57

This year the iPhone…

• 4 will be dropped entirely.
  • 4S (3.5") with 4GB storage replaces the 4 as the "developing markets" phone.
  • 5C (4.0") will continue with Touch ID and two new patterned backsides - flowers and blue with white polka dots.
  • 5S (4.0") will continue with minor updates.
  • 6 (4.7") as rumored.
  • 6L (5.5") as rumored.

Next year the iPhone…

• 6S (4.0") will have  performance and feature upgrades in the same style as the original 6 and replace both the 4 and 5 series.
  • 6M (4.7") will have performance and feature upgrades and replace the 6.
  • 6L (5.5") will continue with minor performance and feature upgrades.
  • The entire iPad line will get cell phone capability and get the designations XL, XXL, and XXXL.

:smokey:

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' at final stage before mass production, on track for Sept. 9 debut