or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Thailand government official claims Apple has received approval to sell 'iPhone 6'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thailand government official claims Apple has received approval to sell 'iPhone 6' - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Well, Apple has great margins (better than Samsung or anyone else in the handset industry by way), plus the limited number of screen sizes jibes with Apple's design philosophy, both from a product manufacturing perspective and how iOS developers have to program the various iOS devices.

Occam's razor would suggest that there is no 5.5" iPhone.

Said well.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #42 of 48
Apple iPhone 6 + Thailand = Happiness

Pretty good equation to me!
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


That shows how blinkered your view of the iPad is.

 

Why?

 

Why should Apple release numbers of iPad sales if Wall Street is just going to bash it?  Why give Wall Street two numbers to bash?  If iPhone does great and iPad doesn't they bash Apple.  If iPad does great and iPhone doesn't they bash Apple.  By combining both into one line the total number should always go up. 

 

So tell me why does Apple report MacMini, iMac, MacPro, MacBookAir, MacBookPro, all together?

Why not do the same with iOS devices?

I'd argue that iPad is closer to the iPhone than the MacMini is to the MacPro.

 

The answer - cause we always did it that way....that does not cut it.

 

Have you seen all the bad press Apple has been getting the last 6 months because of 'weak' iPad sales?  If Apple just combined unit sales of iPhone/iPad then Wall Street would have nothing to cry about.

 

Of course internally Apple would have total iPads sold.  And periodically they could say 200,000,000 iPads sold so far, ect.

post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

 

From now on Apple won't sell any mid-level phones with metal cases.  Its just way to expensive.

 

 

Meta cases isn't expensive. The total cost of casing in the overall BOM is tiny. Plastic and Metal is more of a market segmentation rather then cost. 

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
 

 

Meta cases isn't expensive. The total cost of casing in the overall BOM is tiny. Plastic and Metal is more of a market segmentation rather then cost. 

 

if metal cases were not expensive you can bet Samdung would have made metal Galaxies the past 3 years.

 

Even now with their new joke of a phone, only the side of the phone is metal.

 

Metal is VERY expensive to produce. 

The machines are much more complex.  It not just raw material costs.

Its so much easier to mode inject plastic, than make 1000 precision laser cuts of metal

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

if metal cases were not expensive you can bet Samdung would have made metal Galaxies the past 3 years.

 

Even now with their new joke of a phone, only the side of the phone is metal.

 

Metal is VERY expensive to produce. 

The machines are much more complex.  It not just raw material costs.

Its so much easier to mode inject plastic, than make 1000 precision laser cuts of metal

 

For Apple, the cost different of making a Plastic iPhone and Metal iPhone is tiny when they already have those running. I.e They could have made the Mid Range iPhone with Metal, and the BOM would be less then 3% difference. 

 

Making Metallic body means a lot more engineering on the Antenna front.  And the biggest problem is making it scale. You cant create them fast enough, and the machinery that are required are being locked up by Apple years in advance.

 

Hence that is why you are only starting to see Metallic body phone in recent 12 months in low volume. And yes there are a lot of mid range phones in China that has half or more metallic body.

 

And the machinery that are required for HTC One are different.

post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
 

 

For Apple, the cost different of making a Plastic iPhone and Metal iPhone is tiny when they already have those running. I.e They could have made the Mid Range iPhone with Metal, and the BOM would be less then 3% difference. 

 

Making Metallic body means a lot more engineering on the Antenna front.  And the biggest problem is making it scale. You cant create them fast enough, and the machinery that are required are being locked up by Apple years in advance.

 

Hence that is why you are only starting to see Metallic body phone in recent 12 months in low volume. And yes there are a lot of mid range phones in China that has half or more metallic body.

 

And the machinery that are required for HTC One are different.

 

How do you know this?

Is it from those BOM that some sites post?  Those are total BS.

 

Metal phones take way longer to make, materials cost more, more room for defects.

 

For plastic phones all you need is an injection mode.

post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

How do you know this?

Is it from those BOM that some sites post?  Those are total BS.

 

Metal phones take way longer to make, materials cost more, more room for defects.

 

For plastic phones all you need is an injection mode.


LOL

Then by your argument Apple should make a plastic 4 and 4S and stop selling those metallic 4/4S? Because they are HUGLY expensive to make? Oh, and they happen to sit below your cheap plastic 5C pricing as well.

 

And, those BOM are BS? How do you know this? Kindly pick out those BOM slides and tell me where those BS are?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Thailand government official claims Apple has received approval to sell 'iPhone 6'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Thailand government official claims Apple has received approval to sell 'iPhone 6'