or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 6.1.6 and Safari 7.0.6 with security improvements

Apple releases Safari 6.1.6 and Safari 7.0.6 with security improvements

post #1 of 26
Apple on Wednesday rolled out updated versions of its Safari Web browser for OS X, bringing fixes for WebKit corruption issues and other security concerns.

According to the security release notes accompanying Apple's latest Safari versions, the new software address a WebKit vulnerability that could allow for termination of arbitrary code after a user visits a malicious website.

Apple said it patched issues with memory corruption in WebKit by employing "improved memory handling," but offered no further detail on the matter. Looking at the list of Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures IDs (CVE-IDs), Apple discovered five issues fixed with today's release, while credit for the other two was given to Google's Chrome Security Team and an anonymous researcher.

A Safari update in May addressed a nearly identical WebKit problem that could cause Macs to unexpectedly crash.

Safari 6.1.6 and Safari 7.0.6 are free downloads that can be accessed via Software Update. The new software is available for OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks, OS X 10.7.5 Mountain Lion and OS X 10.8.5 Lion.
post #2 of 26
Snappier 1wink.gif
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybumps View Post

Snappier 1wink.gif

Wait till you try version 7.1 1smoking.gif

From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #4 of 26

Seems snappier.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #5 of 26
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why on earth is our sunglasses emoticon a pothead? I’ve never liked that. I suppose the existence of the filter (two orange-yellow pixels) means it’s a cigarette, but that’s no better.

post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why on earth is our sunglasses emoticon a pothead? I’ve never liked that. I suppose the existence of the filter (two orange-yellow pixels) means it’s a cigarette, but that’s no better.

I agree; why not a pipe?

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #7 of 26
Quote:

Why on earth is our sunglasses emoticon a pothead?

Because he lives in Colorado?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 26
I wish Apple would release another Yosemite beta...this Safari issues in the first public beta are beyond annoying...especially the crashing when clicking on the Address Bar and sometimes Tab Bar.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I wish Apple would release another Yosemite beta...this Safari issues in the first public beta are beyond annoying...especially the crashing when clicking on the Address Bar and sometimes Tab Bar.

NEWSFLASH: it's a beta. If you don't want to use a crashing Safari, stick to Mavericks.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

NEWSFLASH: it's a beta. If you don't want to use a crashing Safari, stick to Mavericks.

NEWSFLASH...no shit sherlock! I was just saying I hope they fix it soon. 

post #11 of 26
Quote:

He is not the sunglasses emoticon, he is Smokey.  Why would Smokey not be smoking? A better question would be why do forum posters think that Smokey is cool or clever and include it in their post?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I agree; why not a pipe?

Yeah a crack pipe! And change his skin color to black or brown. /s

post #13 of 26

I’ve found that the Address Bar will only crash Safari (and consistently crash Safari) after having deleted history entries (I have iCloud syncing on).

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Or Washington State.1smoking.gif
post #15 of 26
Quote:

I’ve found that the Address Bar will only crash Safari (and consistently crash Safari) after having deleted history entries (I have iCloud syncing on).

Mine, my roommate, and some other friends using Yosemite Beta locks up constantly just by clicking on the address bar. It sometimes does it when clicking on tabs but that more rare. I expect a second public beta to be released soon. I've reported many issues and feature requests to Apple using the Feedback app. 

post #16 of 26
Mine, my roommate, and some other friends using Yosemite Beta locks up constantly just by clicking on the address bar. 

Ah, the PB. The DPs don’t seem to do that.

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He is not the sunglasses emoticon, he is Smokey.  Why would Smokey not be smoking? A better question would be why do forum posters think that Smokey is cool or clever and include it in their post?

It's actually an e-cigarette, and his presence is to test your tolerance.
Congratulations, you failed! 1smoking.gif
post #18 of 26
Originally Posted by redefiler View Post
It’s actually an e-cigarette...

That’s some awfully visible water vapor.

post #19 of 26
Quote:

That’s some awfully visible water vapor.

Maybe he's just a vigorous consumer?
On a very cold day?
With a festive streamer attached to the end?
While standing on a very powerful exhaust vent?

As I said to the officer, before spraying whip cream in his eyes and cheesing it.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Rocky Mountain high has such a deeper meaning these days. Yeah, man... yeah...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #21 of 26
Quote:

You know, I never even notices he/she was smoking! Then again, in my mind .. I always hear the immortal words from 'The Mask' ... 'Smokin' when I use it ... so at some level I must have been aware it was. But ... 'Smokin'' doesn't mean 'smoking' to me, it means ... well ... 'Smokin'! If you see what I mean.

Hey I didn't fake my version number!
Edited by digitalclips - 8/14/14 at 5:14am
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Your critisism noted and your un-directed question is answered, hopefully, if you read my post above to TS. Maybe you'll be able to grasp my reason for using at least .... Used in the context I meant, it is very appropriate for a word play referring to a new Safari ...If not watch The Mask.

Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Or Washington State.1smoking.gif

or Michigan:smokey:

post #24 of 26

I downloaded safari 7.1 and noticed that I don't have the "wayback" button anymore to archive websites. Anybody notice this? 

i

post #25 of 26
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post
I downloaded safari 7.1 and noticed that I don't have the "wayback" button anymore to archive websites. 

The what now?

post #26 of 26
Quote:

The what now?

This:

http://archive.org/web/

There was a button on the last version of safari that I would often use (and sometimes inadvertently hit) that sent the page address you had open to this site where it would save the web page. Its gone I think...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Safari 6.1.6 and Safari 7.0.6 with security improvements