or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

post #1 of 159
As part of its ongoing Apple-bashing campaign, Samsung recently took their "wall hugger" message to major airports, cleverly buying ad space around power outlets where iPhone users apparently congregate.

In July, Samsung launched a TV ad blitz bemoaning "wall huggers," or iPhone users who are in constant need of power outlets because their batteries keep dying.

Now, according to CNET, Samsung is expanding that initiative beyond the small screen to actual power outlets in airports, where many portable device users juice up before hopping on their flight. As seen above, the placard completely envelops the outlet and starts out by touting the Galaxy S5's "Ultra Power Saving Mode," which adjusts screen brightness to a minimum, sets everything grayscale, turns off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, restricts the number of in-use apps and switches off cellular data when the screen is locked, among other tweaks.

The iPhone is not mentioned outright, but the reference is there. Samsung ad reads, "So you have the power to be anywhere but here," an obvious dig at Apple's recent TV commercials that end with the common tagline, "You're more powerful than you think."

Samsung's "wall hugger" idea follows a rich tradition of iterating on Apple's own ads to prop up Galaxy products. The Korean company in 2012 aired a commercial mocking iPhone fans waiting in line for Apple's next-generation handset, saying, "The next big thing is already here," in reference to the Galaxy SIII.

There has yet to be tangible evidence that Samsung's tactic of shaming consumers into buying its products is working, but the company has continuously spent huge amounts of money on advertising.

The publication says Samsung is planning to widen its campaign to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, Chicago's O'Hare and Midway airports and potentially others.
post #2 of 159

Okay, that’s pretty brilliant. I like these physical ads better than their initial attempt at “advertising”.

Shame* the Galaxy line is beleaguered.

*Where’s the asterisk? Here. Good on you for having the moxie to look for it! Back to the original point: IT’S NOT A SHAME AT ALL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DISMAL FAILURES.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 159
Samsung is a corrupt, soulless corporation. And, one that is incapable of doing software

My bet is they have already peaked

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #4 of 159
As much as i hate to see companies dead... this Samsung is only i wished to be dead.

WTH! They copy Apple products then bash them? Shameless!

Cant imagine a school seatmate who keeps copying me during exams and bash me how brainless i am.
post #5 of 159

I gotta hand it to Samsung, this is pretty clever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

As much as i hate to see companies dead... this Samsung is only i wished to be dead.

WTH! They copy Apple products then bash them? Shameless!

Cant imagine a school seatmate who keeps copying me during exams and bash me how brainless i am.

Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

post #6 of 159
Hey Sammy, perhaps iPhone users actual use their phones.
post #7 of 159

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with better power mgmt.

Edited by lowepg - 8/14/14 at 6:23am
macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
post #8 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

A copy is never as good as the original.
post #9 of 159

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #10 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

lol... you're right... Apple would NEVER stoop to those tactics....:-)

post #11 of 159

About a year ago, BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit in the SF area) stations were plastered with Galaxy ads.

All gone the last time I rode BART, which was some time in June.

Maybe Samsung's marketing group ran out of money.  (Yeah, right.)

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #12 of 159

Samsung's ultra power saving mode is the same as shutting off any phone. Everything useful is turned off so I don't call it a saving mode, I call it a deep sleep. Nothing works until you unlock the screen so what good is it? Another marketing stunt that's meaningless. 

post #13 of 159
Quote:

If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

Unless, of course, only the exterior appearance was copied.

Your post, however, is a superb copy of the Chewbacca Defense.

It. Does. Not. Make. Sense.
Edited by GTR - 8/13/14 at 11:46pm
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #14 of 159
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Thanks for adding to the list of people who don’t comprehend anything whatsoever about those commercials. Please try again.

post #15 of 159
So, if you use your phone, you can't save your battery. If you save your battery, you can't use your phone.

Personally, I would rather use mine. And, I do. Constantly. Ten house of use per day, if I drain the battery. Give me a charger.

Samsung user report longer battery life why? Because they use them only as phones and for nothing else. Inn short, they don't use them heavily.

One of these days, Samsung is going to irritate Apple just enough. Just enough that they will decide to take their chip business elsewhere.
post #16 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for adding to the list of people who don’t comprehend anything whatsoever about those commercials. Please try again.
Anytime one of these ads crops up and someone knocks it they get Mac vs PC thrown in their face even though Apple stopped running those commercials in 2009. Ridiculous. 1rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 159

The only reason why the average person buys a Samsung phone:

post #18 of 159
Quote:

actually the better one to use would have been the Intel Snail... 

At least they weren't attacking a specific company in the Mac vs PC ads. But, you have a point. :)

Quote:

Quote:

post #19 of 159
Quote:

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

The Next Big Thing arrives Sept. 9...

post #20 of 159
Quote:

Yeah, just as odd as those who get upset about Samsung copying Apple only to later bash Samsung products for being a bad product.  Are they the same or not?  If one is a slavish copy of another then the quality of both will be pretty much equal.

So Goophone is "pretty much equal" to the quality of the iPhone it is knocking off?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 159
Everybody charges their gadgets before they get on a flight. On a flight you don't let your device sit in standby battery savings mode.. you use the heck out of it for books, movies, songs, games, etc etc... so you want it at 100%. What else is there to do besides stare at the aging flight attendants?

If there's nobody charging Samsungs at the charger then it's because nobody has a Samsung.
post #22 of 159
Yeah, it's funny but I don't get it. My iPhone barely lasts a day and my S5 barely lasts a day.
post #23 of 159

It appears that iPhone owners are smart enough to top off their power before a flight so they will be able to use it on the flight (music, videos, to-do lists, etc) & to contact/coordinate with who is ever picking them up. Additionally, a cell phone is a safety device, & in times of emergency, needs to perform at its max. The photo conveys to me that perhaps sammy owners aren't that smart, are in 'power-saving' mode (its in their pocket) or possibly, just can't afford airline tickets.

post #24 of 159
The ads don't mention Apple or iPhone anywhere.
post #25 of 159
Quote:

WOW - How stupid can you get? - Samsung IS NOT THE SAME it is an INFERIOR COPY - just like all those cheap Chines fake copies of luxury Swiss watches - Only a Droid/Samsung troll could believe that a fake is as good as the real thing....LOL

BTW, I have no problems with battery life - all my family ONLY charge our iPhones and iPads JUST ONCE a Day - at night.

The tests which show long battery times for Samsungs are rigged - brightness is set at just 40% - our iPhones and iPads are ALL set with FULL Brightness and have loads of spare battery power at the end of each day.

post #26 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So Goophone is "pretty much equal" to the quality of the iPhone it is knocking off?

In his defense, I was in the washroom this morning for my daily constitutional. While taking care of business I concentrated on copying the Samsung Galaxy S4. My "copy" of the Samsung Galaxy S4 was better than the original (though that isn't difficult).
Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/13/14 at 7:08pm
post #27 of 159
**** you Samsung.
post #28 of 159

samsungineers, maybe you just don't know how duped you are? Did you you really make the choice or where you steered by the Wireless companies and sales people who profit more on non-apple devices?  Even if you take the devices aside and just focus on the app's, the software always works better and has more functionality on an iPhone than an android device because app developers can build better apps on iOS.  

AT&T and Verizon Prefer to Sell a Samsung Smartphone Over an iPhone

By Motley Fool August 13, 2014, 10:30:15 AM EDT

If you go into your AT&T or Verizon store to buy a new smartphone, odds are the salesperson will direct you toward a Samsung device. A recent survey by Kantar Worldpanel found that 63% of smartphone buyers were recommended a Samsung. Comparatively, carriers recommended Apple just 30% of the time.

Nearly any tech review site will tell you that the iPhone is at least on par with any Samsung smartphone. In fact, the iPhone is usually ranked as the best smartphone available. So, why is there such a huge discrepancy between recommendation rates? The answer shouldn't surprise you: It's not in the best interest of wireless providers to recommend an iPhone profit-wise.

Making you pay more for a lower priced phone 
Carriers seem to have a love-hate relationship with the iPhone. While the product certainly sells well, it carries a high up-front cost for the carriers because they must pay Apple subsidies to sell the phone for $199. Samsung and every other OEM have the same deal, but Apple's iPhone typically carries the highest subsidy.

Although Samsung's latest flagship Galaxy S starts off retailing for the same price as the latest iPhone -- $650 -- Samsung will often reduce the price after the initial launch, with the last three flagship Galaxy S devices declining 20% to 25% in retail price after six months. Meanwhile, AT&T and Verizon continue to sell customers the phone at the same subsidized price of $199 and pocket the change.

Apple's impact on wireless carriers is quite noticeable. With every new iPhone release, AT&T and Verizon notice significant declines in profit margin as they're forced to pay subsidies up front.

VZ Profit Margin (Quarterly) Chart

VZ Profit Margin (Quarterly) data by YCharts

Playing it safe 
Other analysts have speculated that U.S. carriers want to avoid a situation where Apple can exercise even more power over them. Apple continued to gain share of the U.S. smartphone market in the second quarter of the year despite Samsung's product refresh in April. The iPhone maker now has a 42.1% share of the market. If Apple gains more market share, it may be able to exercise market power and force carriers to increase subsidies or pay for more advertising, the theory goes.

On the other hand, carriers are walking a fine line pushing Samsung phones considering the company already commands 28.6% of the market. But Samsung's products have a strong customer satisfaction rating and a loyal customer base -- the second best among smartphone OEMs after Apple. Smaller companies like LG and HTC aren't even close. In other words, the Samsung phone probably isn't going to get returned.

The only thing worse for carriers than paying a bigger subsidy is paying two big subsidies, so they want shoppers to be happy with the phone they buy. Selling a Samsung phone allows them to minimize the risk of paying more subsidies while maximizing the sales of high data plans. In the end, it all translates into better expected profit margins than selling nearly any other phone.

Samsung's not-so-secret weapon 
Samsung is shelling out billions of dollars to get salespeople at your carrier to recommend and sell you its smartphones. Unlike Apple, Samsung offers spiffs to salespeople for selling its products. A spiff is an immediate bonus paid directly to the salesperson.

Samsung's marketing budget is gigantic compared to Apple's. Last year, Samsung's advertising and sales promotion budget totaled $11.9 billion, $1 billion more than Apple's entire SG&A expense. Samsung's sales promotion expense -- a lot of which is spiffs -- totaled $7.8 billion.

Carriers don't have much control over these incentives as they are offered directly by the manufacturer. If one carrier doesn't offer them, it'll have a hard time keeping salespeople. That makes spiffs a big risk to the carriers as it shows how any smartphone maker with a big enough budget (say, Microsoft if it wanted to) could dominate the mind share of their salespeople and undermine their businesses.

Why the sudden change? 
Selling a Samsung phone might not be in the customers best interest, but it's certainly in the best interest of carriers and its employees. The amount of money Samsung doles out to salespeople every year is astounding, and shows the power of "promotion."

Perhaps that's another reason why carriers are trying to move away from subsidies altogether. They realize they're not really in control of what smartphones their salespeople try to sell, and as a result profit margins could take a hit if another high-subsidy OEM starts "promoting" heavily.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/att-and-verizon-prefer-to-sell-a-samsung-smartphone-over-an-iphone-cm379682#ixzz3AKI8L4Nd

post #29 of 159
Quote:

Yes, its definitely a funny commercial that his home.    And of course having a removable battery is a feature that isn't a copy from Apple.

I would love to have had a bigger battery in my iPhone 5s.    Many days its very low in the evening and if traveling I look for a wall outlet to recharge.    I'll probably get a battery case for the 5s.    

I would really like the batter on the iPhone 6 to last longer but don't really expect a noticeable improvement because the screen will be bigger and Apple will not make the weight of the new iPhone 6 greater than the iPhone 5S.   It will be bigger, wider, thinner but no more in weight.

post #30 of 159
I owned a Samsung Android phone. Check battery status, Check apps running in the background, Kill all apps, Check battery status, Check apps running in the background, Kill all apps, Check battery status, Check apps running in the background, Kill all apps, Check battery status, Check apps running in the background, Kill all apps, Check battery status, Check apps running in the background, Kill all apps 4 hours later charge phone and REPEAT.

iPhone 5S, Unplug it at 6:00 am Charge it at 11:pm whew that was exhausting....LMAO
post #31 of 159
post #32 of 159

I try to block trolls like DroidFTW, but if you people keep quoting him then I'm forced to see his crap over and over. Best to just ignore him in the first place and spare everyone else at the same time.

Now on to Samsung's amazing battery saving technology. Forget about making a more efficient processor that can idle as much as possible after doing any work. Forget about making new LCD technology that uses less power. Let's just shut everything off. Lame.

post #33 of 159
Quote:

Didn't anyone ever teach you that a copy is NEVER as good as the ORIGINAL? Please do us all a favour and go back to the Android site you crawled out from. Samsung IS a BAD COMPANY that makes SHODDY PRODUCTS.
Quote:

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

Just in case, if your current phone has been upgraded from iOS 4-5-6 etc, using OTA, then you might see an increase in battery life if you perform a iCloud backup of the device, then put it into DFU mode, and perform a complete restore via iTunes on a Mac or PC, then restore from your iCloud backup. This could dramatically increase your battery life, as it eliminate all the upgrade crud left behind during all the past upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

A copy is never as good as the original.

Might wanna tell DroidFTW above that, I think he missed the memo.
Quote:

You have just demonstrated an extremely low IQ and comprehension level. Those ads targeted the product (Windows XP and Vista), NOT THE USER. These ads target the user, and is a below-the-belt hit that just infuriates and insults their target audience, not smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestAppleFan View Post

The ads don't mention Apple or iPhone anywhere.

Ehem, might wanna have another look at the picture there buddy... Woman sitting next to the outlet is holding a white iPhone 5S being charged, and the other person is plugged in with a iPhone charger block 1oyvey.gif
post #34 of 159
I've never seen a study where Samsung phones are particularly good at having a better power capacity, unless the batteries are more massive too. So, where did Samsung get the idea they have an edge in this area? It's not like I'd expect to see Samsung owners hanging around airport outlets getting their phablets recharged, they don't usually have the money to travel... which is tied to their ability to make good decisions... which is tied to the reason they have a Samsung product to begin with.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #35 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

You have just demonstrated an extremely low IQ and comprehension level. 

Yikes. Defensive much? lol...

You're preaching to the converted. I'm a big Apple fan and user, but I think you're over-reacting a bit to the ads.

And as much as I like Apple, I think its naive to think they don't play hardball right back with their marketing. However, if personal insults make you feel better- go for it. I've been called worse by better :-)

post #36 of 159
Quote:

This is the first person to believe a knockoff is just as good as the original. Embarassing...
post #37 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Ehem, might wanna have another look at the picture there buddy... Woman sitting next to the outlet is holding a white iPhone 5S being charged, and the other person is plugged in with a iPhone charger block 1oyvey.gif

I think he meant the actual poster not the pic.
post #38 of 159

Anyway iPhone owners have this salvation now

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #39 of 159
So let me get this straight. Sammy is bragging about better battery life because they're battery pack is significantly bigger than iPhone's??!!!

Woo, are we supposed to be impress by this?

Let's revisit this topic later on when iPhone 6 comes out that should have similar battery size as theirs.

Sad attempt Sammy. Just pathetic.
post #40 of 159

I completely agree that stabbing potential customers (there are those that leave Apple's ecosystem happily) makes zero sense. Samsung is not hurting Apple in any way through these attacks, they hurt the people that need to make choices. Samsung need only show an honest approach to their marketing with a "come try us...you will be surprised..." attitude.  Screaming from the rooftops that they are scared and panicking over another Apple sale is never going to improve their situation. Long term planning, great product design, long term product support, excellent customer support will win over loyal customers not flash in the pan/ every 6 months we relaunch the greatest thing then drop all support for the previous models and ignore your cries. Customers have stayed with Apple for many reasons and one major one is the consistency of service at every level. Samsung, your enemy is from within.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level