or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level

Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level - Page 2

post #41 of 159
What's the big deal about a removable battery? You have to carry a second battery. If you need more power just get a case that includes another battery. You only need to carry one item that way, instead of two.
post #42 of 159
On a recent trip through Heathrow, I immediately noticed that the charging stations were populated by almost ALL cellphones OTHER than iPhones.

I remember seeing a couple Samsung, and a few Nokia Windows phones.

G
post #43 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post
Just in case, if your current phone has been upgraded from iOS 4-5-6 etc, using OTA, then you might see an increase in battery life if you perform a iCloud backup of the device, then put it into DFU mode, and perform a complete restore via iTunes on a Mac or PC, then restore from your iCloud backup. This could dramatically increase your battery life, as it eliminate all the upgrade crud left behind during all the past upgrades.

Ive read this technique before in several places.

Bu this - if its true is rather sad and pathetic - that users are expected jump through hippos like this, to maybe correct for old bits of code lying around - if its true then certain engineers / programmers at Apple should be embarrassed.

post #44 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Ive read this technique before in several places.

Bu this - if its true is rather sad and pathetic - that users are expected jump through hippos like this, to maybe correct for old bits of code lying around - if its true then certain engineers / programmers at Apple should be embarrassed.

if TRUE

certain engineers/programmers at Apple should be embarrassed

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #45 of 159
Quote:

users are expected jump through hippos

Hippo fillers in the jungle jump

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #46 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

I wish I could say its not true :-(

My (admittedly aging) phone's battery life is getting worse and worse. Since I normally skip every other version release- Im hoping the 6 comes out soon.... and with battery power mgmt.

The iPhone does have battery management both in hardware and software. I have a 4s and it's still trucking along with about the same battery life as when it was new. Now I do need to charge it before the day is through, but I also use it quite heavily.

post #47 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

On a recent trip through Heathrow, I immediately noticed that the charging stations were populated by almost ALL cellphones OTHER than iPhones.

G

As a frequent flyer, I notice almost every device I see "hugging the wall" is a laptop of some kind and a smattering of phones from various manufacturers.

post #48 of 159
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that Samsung has installed lots of Samsung branded charging stations at airports around the country in 2008. Please just google "samsung charging stations airports". So, Samsung seems to be a little more than hypocritical. Don't any of you recall seeing these Samsung charging stations???
Jimbo
Jimbo
post #49 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

if TRUE

not sure I get your point?

are you saying it IS TRUE? That performing this procedure really fixes a battery drain issue? If so - how have you confirmed that to be the case?

post #50 of 159

I dunno, whenever I'm at the airport, I see a share of Samsung users plugged in, too. Not sure what they're doing with the juice, but they seem to drink it too.

post #51 of 159
The idiotic nature of Samsung's brainless commercials usually never ceases to amaze me, but in this situation their ads are ironically self-serving. The vast majority of people huddle around those wall plugs are Galaxy S3 and S4 owners. Now they can appeal to the only people that would ever buy their phones. No idea where they get this battery life supposition from. Perfect example. Right now I am enjoying myself at Disney World (so awesome-free wi-fi! Yay!) with family. My brother-in-law (an S3 owner) and myself have spent the entire day using our phones for taking videos, checking out stuff on the internet, and basically other moderate-use tasks. His S3 died just before dinner! My good old iPhone 4 (I am a proud owner) still has 44% power left! And that's after streaming a baseball game and typing out this post, too! I cannot definitively speak to the validity of Samsung's claims on the S5 battery life, but here in the real world, in real-life situations, the battery life of my iPhone is second-to-none. And that's after five years!
post #52 of 159
this is my thought on this, I use my iphone for work, for playing games, checking news and just about everything I would normally do on a pc while bullshitting. i use personal hotspot mode when my actual work phone (Casio gz1) can't get service ... and yet I manage to be at 20% after about 10-12 hours of use. but during my endeavors out and about, I don't see people with iPhone "wall hugging". it's usually guess what, Samsung users.

Ohh and I've had my phone for 2 years almost. so why is it that apple users are wall huggers? cause we use our phones for their intended use.. EVERYTHING!!

where droid users not so much
post #53 of 159
So let me get this straight ... Samsung is saying that their best feature is that the battery lasts a long time if you don't use the device?

This reminds me of the people that leave the plastic on their sofas in the living room they never use ...

Fwiw, if iOS users want to extend the life of their devices, it's as easy as swiping up control center and hitting the Bluetooth and wifi buttons. Also, check that Airdrop is off. Then hit the power button - look, it's ultra power saving mode!
post #54 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Samsung IS a BAD COMPANY that makes SHODDY PRODUCTS.

Nobody tell him his iPhone has integral Samsung-made parts in it.
post #55 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I dunno, whenever I'm at the airport, I see a share of Samsung users plugged in, too. Not sure what they're doing with the juice, but they seem to drink it too.

No, you are misunderstanding - they are charging their extra battery because they can't trust that the main one won't die when they use the device in non-UPSM.
post #56 of 159
Quote:

I think its naive to think they [Apple] don't play hardball right back with their marketing

Is that so?
In which case name or describe a single iPhone advert by Apple which even mentions a competing product.
post #57 of 159
That's really great capability Sammy, switch off all the "smartphone" features to save battery life and you're left with .... a basic phone... and one which you can hardly see because the brightness has been turned down

"Look out Apple, we can save more battery life still by switching the phone feature off"

I can see Tim quaking in his boots or at least rolling around laughing.
post #58 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Is that so?
In which case name or describe a single iPhone advert by Apple which even mentions a competing product.

I didn't say iPhone, I said Apple.... you know... the guys who make iPhones.

Apple directly lambasted Microsoft for YEARS (very effectively). So I don't buy this "holier than thou" stance.... it's a joke. Apple hasn't needed to get in the competitions face with iphone- because its been a rock star (well- except during antena-gate). But Apple can and has taken off the gloves when its needed to.

Personally I think the Samsung stuff is petty and not likely to have much of an effect at all - except perhaps to backfire. Although, the fact that so many people here are so agitated by it might mean they struck a nerve with some of the faithful...who knows.

All I know is my battery life is not what it used to be... I'd like it to get better. Im hoping for some improvement with my upcoming iphone6 (4.7" version please).... One issue thats contributed to my battery suck is the navigation on my phone is SO much better than the stupid built-in nag in my car that Ive found myself using it much more (sometimes i wish I would have just stuck with my garmin and skipped the built-in auto nag systems...

Anyways, peace fellow Apple enthusists! We've got a pretty awesome Fall.Winter ahead of us! (iPhone 6, yosemite, watch, etc, etc)!

macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
post #59 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

And of course having a removable battery is a feature that isn't a copy from Apple.

My experience is that I've found a removable battery to be a liability, not a feature.

I had a HTC Tytn 2 before getting my first iPhone. Extra expense to get a dock which charged the Tytn II and its second battery at the same time. I don't use the Tytn II anymore so the 2nd battery is useless to me now too.

In contrast the Pocket battery with USB can be charged at any USB output and at the same time as your phone. It can be used to charge any phone, not just your own but those of associates as well. It cost no more than the removable batteries of android handsets yet is so much more versatile.
post #60 of 159
I'm glad samsung did these physical adverts. It will be easier for me to spot a charging station. It's not like I have anything better to do in an airport.

/edit for clarity.
post #61 of 159
At first I thought the ad would be clever. But the I read it. Honestly, if it hadn't been explained here, I'd never know what they were getting at.

Add to that Samsung users will also use the outlets (though less in number due to install base and use age. No one uses smart devices as much as apple customers) and it probably just sounds like a general joke to people needing to plug in any device that needs power.
post #62 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeric87 View Post

Nobody tell him his iPhone has integral Samsung-made parts in it.
I've taken apart every generation of iPhone, right up to the 5C/S, and I know full well they have Samsung-made components.

Nice try though. iPhone 6 will have a SoC made by TSMC, which was the last remaining Samsung part to be ditched. iP6 will officially be Samsung-free.
post #63 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

G
Quite so. In fact I hardly ever see anyone trying to charge up a phone of any kind in an airport. And I travel during business flight hours.

More common a few years ago when Motorola droids and HTC equivalents had a battery life counted in tens of minutes.

That said, the iPhone 5 seemed to commonly have a battery problem that needed a replacement battery . Both my wife and I just got our iPhone batteries replaced and battery life is easily tripled. Although I am lucky enough to live in a country with a two year statutory warranty, so Apple did it for free! The diagnostics at the Apple store had both batteries in the red quadrant.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #64 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Is that so?
Let me help answer that, none ever.
post #65 of 159
I think its naive to think they don't play hardball right back with their marketing. 
I didn't say iPhone, I said Apple.... you know... the guys who make iPhones.
Apple directly lambasted Microsoft for YEARS (very effectively). So I don't buy this "holier than thou" stance.... it's a joke.

You said don't, which is a contraction of do not, which is in the present tense, referring to events that are happening now or are current, such as the Samsung "wall hugger" ads or the Apple "you're more powerful than you think" adverts.

Compare this to the past tense, referring to events in history, such as the Apple "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" campaign.

Originally Posted by lowepg
However, if personal insults make you feel better - go for it.

I felt obliged to helpfully give you an english lesson seeing how you helpfully obliged me with a lesson that Apple makes iPhones.

post #66 of 159
I don't know why Samsung would stoop to this level. Who thinks that poking fun at their competition is a legitimate way to do business? Does anyone think it will actually do any good or change any minds? Come on! Apple doesn't have to do stuff like this in order to sell their products. Haven't seen anything this egregious since those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads taken out by the PC makers. Wait...
post #67 of 159

I wish the iPhone 6 has a removable battery. What will Samsung say then?

post #68 of 159
Samsung falls for the 2nd oldest ad agency plan - "Apple's ONLY selling more because of marketing so you need to spend a giant boatload of money!" Samsung bought that hook, line & sinker. So, of course, they shout out a lot of reasons that samsung phones are "better." But ultimately, they are not much of a selling point because consumers are not stupid. This might have been a selling point 7 years when smartphones/iphones were first out and people were weighing about upgrading and battery might've been a concern but now? People understand if you USE YOUR PHONE, you will run down its battery so you PLUG IN. What they are really saying is if you use a samsung phone, there's not as much to do so your battery life is better. d'uh. it's like a tiny car saying it has great gas mileage - people are not nitwits. IF that is the ONLY important reason, they will buy a tiny car but people understand it's a compromise ... and you only discuss comparison when you are so much better than your competitor or you are touting something people have never used before ... plus the whole battery point is not a major eeal breaker as BBM tried in 2008 - and it reminds people there are plenty of power outlets ... so unless a samsung phone can convert your body electrical pulses to power your phone, this ad serves no real purpose - other than the ad agency chief gets to buy a new boat.
post #69 of 159
Iphone has this exact same power saving feature. Turn off mobile data, wifi, bluetooth when you dont need them, but hey what can you do with the phone?!? Make calls?. Im not convinced about this except for some extremely special situations.
post #70 of 159

I'd imagine that all giant sized phones have better battery life because ... now take notes here kiddies ... they have room for bigger batteries.

Amazing how physics and geometry and battery technology works.

The problem is that at some point in the ongoing bloating evolution of smartphones you'll either have to: 1) pay for an extra seat in economy to transport your ginormophone, 2) upgrade to business class for a wider seat and longer inter-seat spacing, 3) ask for a seatbelt extension, or 4) stow your massive slab-o-phone in the overhead storage compartment. Worse yet, you may have to gate check your brontophone, or take the train. Eww. 

It always comes down to tradeoffs and compromises. 

Time to start upping your inventory of stretch cargo pants and pouched hoodies.

post #71 of 159
This is no way to entice iPhone users to switch really - by insulting them, and everyone else non-Galaxy users. No wonder Apple continues to attract Android->iOS switchers at a faster rate than iOS-Something else switchers.
post #72 of 159
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I don't get how insulting a potential customer's purchasing choices can lead to adoption of another product by the issuing company. 

lol... you're right... Apple would NEVER stoop to those tactics....:-)

Difference is, the Mac/PC ads were funny, Samsung's aren't.

It's a blast watching a compilation of the Mac ads!
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #73 of 159
Quote:

not sure I get your point?

are you saying it IS TRUE? That performing this procedure really fixes a battery drain issue? If so - how have you confirmed that to be the case?

It was a programming joke.  Don't feel bad if it went over your head, IF statements even give Apple's software engineers trouble at times.  ;) 

post #74 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Quote:

users are expected jump through hippos
Hippo fillers in the jungle jump

Wonderful!
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #75 of 159

I plug in whenever I am near enough to an outlet for it to be convenient because you never know for sure how long or far from an outlet you will be. and I do have some external battery devices. I have had times when my charger was left in the checked bag - or the cord I brought stopped working etc. My wife is the exact opposite - she rarely plugs if even when the cord is two inches away from her - until the battery runs out completely or at least gets very low. 

I can get through a while day of what I would consider light usage on a full charge. But if I get into playing games and watching videos then no way I can go from sun up to sun down without a charge or external battery. 

post #76 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

I may be in the minority, but I quite like that as an ad.  Cheeky and fun.

Whether there's much truth in it is a different story, but good work on the ad.

censored

censored

post #77 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

10166-2249-140813-Wallhugger_Ad-l.png

I may be in the minority, but I quite like that as an ad.  Cheeky and fun.

Whether there's much truth in it is a different story, but good work on the ad.

You're in the minority. Go and get a job at Apple; they want you, regardless of your ability.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #78 of 159

Bravo Samsung. In desperation, you have achieved "Next level" of low point. How far you want to go ? Looks like below bottom of barrel ? Ha ha !!

post #79 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

At least they weren't attacking a specific company in the Mac vs PC ads. But, you have a point. 1smile.gif

Huh? They were attacking Microsoft.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #80 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Difference is, the Mac/PC ads were funny, Samsung's aren't.

It's a blast watching a compilation of the Mac ads!

And what does that matter? Ads don't have to be funny to be effective.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung puts 'wall hugger' ads on airport power outlets, takes Apple mockery to next level