or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS research
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS... - Page 2

post #41 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeEye View Post

Doesn't the fact Phil posted a sequence of images, which look like they were taken from video (because of the ratio as well as the fact it looks like he is talking to video in the first frame), smack of a new iOS8 feature? 

Snapshots from videos?

Old feature. It's at least on 5s

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #42 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An organized, researched, moving presentation as to the pertinence of funding a cure for the disease.

Basically, what Apple keynotes are to the cult of product they present. We know how well it works to spur interest in metal, glass, and plastic. It will work equally well for disease cures.

Ebola’s airborne. Maybe a keynote on that sometime?

Yup, because people like to be lectured. What the most watched video in YouTube. How many views? What's the most watch TEDtalk? How many views?
post #43 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post



That sounds like my aunt, known as the family "laugh license revoker". Ice Bucket has quadrupled contributions and even motivated people to grouch about the event, so a cold shower shock seems to be getting attention, and at 4X results so far, it's making a real contribution to a increasingly harsh illness.

 

Next up... "Waterboarding for Parkinson's Disease"!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #44 of 114
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Yup, because people like to be lectured. What the most watched video in YouTube. How many views? What's the most watch TEDtalk? How many views?

 

What’s the most popular Apple keynote? What’s the most popular keynote from any other tech company in any other circumstance?

 

Who said anything about a lecture?

post #45 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's not called Stephen Hawking's Disease.

No, but Lou Gerhig died before Hawking was even born. As worded, @boredumb and @Zoffdino are correct since we're in 2014 and much of the world is more likely to know who Hawking is and be able to visualize what the disease does to a person compared to the relatively few older Americans or those with an affinity for baseball that would even know who Gerhig is, and yet I don't nearly all of them would be unlikely to conjure an image that wasn't of him in a baseball uniform before it overtook his life.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #46 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post


I'm not the biggest TS fan but he's right. Laughing at water being dumped on someone's head ended for me around the same time I stopped using training wheels. I don't think a sense of humor means laughing at everything. I am personally put off by how this is seems more about making another selfie than ALS awareness.

 

It smacks of rampant escapism, quite honestly. There used to be a term in the news business. They called certain news periods the "silly season" because there was always a dearth of things happening and they had to make stuff up to fill the papers.

 

Maybe I'll start walking up to people and offer to make a donation to the charity of their choice if they'll let me slap them in the face with a large herring, then just walk off... WHO'S UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

 

Also, dumping a bucket of water on one's head is not a challenge. It's sheep behavior.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #47 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Next up... "Waterboarding for Parkinson's Disease"!

Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


No, but Lou Gerhig died before Hawking was even born. As worded, @boredumb and @Zoffdino are correct since we're in 2014 and much of the world is more likely to know who Hawking is and be able to visualize what the disease does to a person compared to the relatively few older Americans or those with an affinity for baseball that would even know who Gerhig is, and yet I don't nearly all of them would be unlikely to conjure an image that wasn't of him in a baseball uniform before it overtook his life.

 

Yes, I understand people today have no connection to Lou Gehrig, but there are no plans to change the name of the disease just to increase donations. I'm absolutely fine with donations being increased, mind you, but a bucket of ice water over the head is ludicrously stupid...and I'd be much happier if there was an actual "challenge" involved that involved commitment or skill. Is that too much to ask?

 

"Hey, look at me! I'm dumping a bucket of water on my head, but it's all for charity so it's cool and socially acceptable!"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #49 of 114
@Ikrupp: I had NO CLUE who Lou Gehrig was until I Googled him, but I know Hawking for sure. I'd bet you a beer that you're American, though, because baseball is a very American sport, and it does sound pretty American to believe an American sportsman is more famous than a British scientist. Not to say you're wrong, just that it does probably depend on where/when.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #50 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, I understand people today have no connection to Lou Gehrig, but there are no plans to change the name of the disease just to increase donations. I'm absolutely fine with donations being increased, mind you, but a bucket of ice water over the head is ludicrously stupid.

The name is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which can be abbreviated as ALS. It can also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou Gehrig's disease only became popular because at the time he was the most famous person with it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

He’s dead. There’s not much left of him but the skin and bones that used to hold him.

 

Sure, but we’re talking specifically about the ice bucket portion. 

 

This is the part that causes consternation with me. It’s equivalent to the “hit the like button” or “share if you agree” nonsense.

 


Ah, I’d never be able to top “bikini bridge” or the cinnamon challenge (which I can do, by the way; I love cinnamon).

"Share if you agree" makes a difference. You get read by your friends, and possibly your fans, who all might make a donation, or share, etc. Viral works. 

 

If you have no friends and no fans... just make a donation.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #52 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein.

 

How about "Drown-a-Buddy" in a bathtub? Let's do it for the kids!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #53 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

@Ikrupp: I had NO CLUE who Lou Gehrig was until I Googled him, but I know Hawking for sure. I'd bet you a beer that you're American, though, because baseball is a very American sport, and it does sound pretty American to believe an American sportsman is more famous than a British scientist. Not to say you're wrong, just that it does probably depend on where/when.

 

How about use the bald-headed image of Britney Spears to combat alopecia?

 

Or get Mel Gibson to raise awareness of child alcoholism caused by insanely racist parents?

 

Everyone can get in on the act... and they will!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #54 of 114
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Surprisingly to me these challenges do see to raise money and awareness so I'd like to see more of these. 

 

I wonder...

 

Seems like you could therefore have a new Jackass movie, with each scene sponsored by a different disease cure organization.

 
However, ALS does affect your motor functionality, which is also affected by extremely cold water, perhaps a Parkinson's challenge should be in a similar vein. 

 

INJECTING COLD WATER INTO YOUR VEINS?! That seems counterproductive unless part of the challenge is editing your will such that your possessions are sold and the money given to the foundation...

post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

Maybe I'll start walking up to people and offer to make a donation to the charity of their choice if they'll let me slap them in the face with a large herring, then just walk off... WHO'S UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

 

 

What size of donation? Proportional to the herring? Is the herring red? Be precise :p

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #56 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
 

What size of donation? Proportional to the herring? Is the herring red? Be precise :p

 

That's the whole thing. There is no donation, just a headslap with a fish (with apologies to Monty Python).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ebola’s airborne.

Yikes. No.

 

Please educate yourself. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

post #58 of 114
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Martin_Charcot  thanks for the name, I discovered yet another scientist who helped the world and is pretty much forgotten.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


The name is Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis which can be abbreviated as ALS. It can also referred to as motor neurone disease (MND), Charcot disease, and, in the United States, Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou Gehrig's disease only became popular because at the time he was the most famous person with it.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Seems like you could therefore have a new Jackass movie, with each scene sponsored by a different disease cure organization.

 

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

 

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

 

Drop a lit firecracker down your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

 

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

 

Stick a firecracker in your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

I'm betting a new Lamborghini that this concept would work if the actors/participants are charismatic.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #61 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
 

I'm betting a new Lamborghini that this concept would work if the actors/participants are charismatic.

 

It won't be long, mark my words. In America, when something "works" it is guaranteed to be copied ad inifinitum until people are sick of the entire idea.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #62 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Martin_Charcot thanks for the name, I discovered yet another scientist who helped the world and is pretty much forgotten.

If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series covers many well known names but also delves into many that have made amazing contributions that are fairly unknown. My favourite from the first season is Clair Patterson.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #63 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. The series covers many well known names but also delves into many that have made amazing contributions that are fairly unknown. My favourite from the first season is Clair Patterson.

 

It was an admirable effort by McFarland and Tyson to get some kind (any kind!) of science programming on TV. It might have been better if they had one sponsor for each show, bookending the content so it could run continuously without commercials...but something was better than nothing.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #64 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you haven't already you should check out the new Cosmos series hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. 

I have just started to watch it on OD. The first episode was sensational. The second, lousy, and a head-scratcher.

 

I am hoping the first two data points are not a reliable signal of quality variation.

post #65 of 114
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Yikes. No.

 

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

 

Low risk exposures

Household member or other casual contact1...
Providing patient care or casual contact1...
1 Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time

 

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

Do you have a link for this study that shows is can survive outside the body or any evidence that it's ever been contracted from proximal but not physical contact with an infected person?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

 

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

 

Are we looking at an Ebola Apocalypse? Buy your flamethrowers now! :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #68 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have just started to watch it on OD. The first episode was sensational. The second, lousy, and a head-scratcher.

I do recall there were some weaker episodes but what was a head scratcher about it. I just read the synopsis; it seems like it was a quick overview of the origin of life. That's definitely not easy to put into a single episode.
Quote:
I am hoping the first two data points are not a reliable signal of quality variation.

Since there is no arc to follow jump to episode 7 "The Clean Room" and see how you feel about that one. I think that was my favourite (or at least the one I recall liking the most). Next I'd say that episode 5 "Hiding in the Light" which documents Ibn al-Haytham and Joseph von Fraunhofer is my next favourite episode.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #69 of 114
I just took the Hot Shower Challenge. Totally nailed it!

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #70 of 114
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Do you have a link for this study that shows is can survive outside the body or any evidence that it's ever been contracted from proximal but not physical contact with an infected person?


Not off-hand, but this was one of the additions to the page the CDC put up less than a week ago.

post #71 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

The fact that it’s tied to a charity and that it’s given as an option instead of meaningfully contributing to said charity makes it slacktivism.

 

TS, read the whole article........  "We have never seen anything like this in the history of the disease," said Barbara Newhouse, President and CEO of The ALS Association. "We couldn't be more thrilled with the level of compassion, generosity and sense of humor that people are exhibiting as they take part in this impactful viral initiative."

 

In case you still don't "get it",  raising awareness is always a good thing, not to mention the fact that this campaign has resulted in a huge (almost 4x as much money donated). It seems to me, that in your new role to just be a troll, you are taking a negative view on everything, warranted or not. While that may result in more clicks, it also results in making your remarks less relevant. Sad.

Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #72 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not off-hand, but this was one of the additions to the page the CDC put up less than a week ago.

Because of the severity of the disease and likelihood to kill its host there are extra precautions being taken to help ensure that there is no accidental exposure.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #73 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
It's not called Stephen Hawking's Disease.

oh…nevermind

post #74 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

Get shot out of a cannon for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)!

 

Dangle naked on a line over a crocodile to raise awareness of Amazonian deforestation!

 

Drop a lit firecracker down your pants to increase donations for testicular cancer!

Meh. I'm waiting for "planking for erectile dysfunction!"

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #75 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Where's Ballmer when you need him?

ALS Association: "so Ballmer, what do you think of Schiller taking on the ice bucket challenge"

Ballmer: *laughs* bwahahaha

"cold water?!! he'll be shivering and wet and have a hard time typing...which would not make him a good email machine."
Edited by cali - 8/14/14 at 4:35pm
post #76 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Yikes. No.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html
Quote:

Low risk exposures




Household member or other casual contact1...
Providing patient care or casual contact1...

1
 Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet (1 meter) or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

Your obstinacy is only exceeded by your ignorance.
post #77 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

For people who wonder what ALS is: its most famous patient is Stephen Hawking. It's a terrible motor neuron disease where the patient slowly loses control of all muscles in his body. A family friend had it and he was totally dependent on his wife to care for his daily activities. Please support this as it is a worthwhile cause.

 

Thanks; I didn't know what this was. It would have been helpful to have had a brief description in the article.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #78 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeEye View Post
 

Doesn't the fact Phil posted a sequence of images, which look like they were taken from video (because of the ratio as well as the fact it looks like he is talking to video in the first frame), smack of a new iOS8 feature? 

 

Snapshots from videos?

 

Waterproof iPhone?

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #79 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have just started to watch it on OD. The first episode was sensational. The second, lousy, and a head-scratcher.

I do recall there were some weaker episodes but what was a head scratcher about it. I just read the synopsis; it seems like it was a quick overview of the origin of life. That's definitely not easy to put into a single episode.
Quote:
I am hoping the first two data points are not a reliable signal of quality variation.

Since there is no arc to follow jump to episode 7 "The Clean Room" and see how you feel about that one. I think that was my favourite (or at least the one I recall liking the most). Next I'd say that episode 5 "Hiding in the Light" which documents Ibn al-Haytham and Joseph von Fraunhofer is my next favourite episode.

I wandered into watching it because I was absolutely impressed by a five-minute clip on climate change from the series that I happen to view.

The second episode was on artificial/natural selection, and the role that the environment plays in choosing from among mutations. That part was very clear and interesting. Then he wandered off into something about methane lakes (in one of Saturn's moons), made some mention of a supposedly hugely important point about how he was going to explain where humans came from, switched over to volcanoes earth, and..... the episode ended abruptly. Quite the head-scratcher.
post #80 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Can’t I just pour oatmeal down my pants instead? That’s equivalent, according to you.

 

Like I said before, if having fun offends or annoys anyone then you really need to get a sense of humor or learn to appreciate more in life. 

 

Seeing adults behaving like children is fun for children. It's the hip thing these days for adults-especially guys-to be infantile. Damning indictment of the world today.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS research