or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS research
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS... - Page 3

post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Saw Zuckerberg do this yesterday and he called out Bill Gates. Of all the people doing this I think Gates or Cook would be the most interesting.

I think Tim would take it in his stride, he's a fitness guy - he probably takes cold showers every day at 4:30am. Bill Gates on the other hand is a dweed. Here's him getting hit with a pie:



I love the newscaster's serious tone: "no word on the motive for this attack". Is hilarity a suitable motive?

The people donating could of course just give the cash but it's to encourage other people to join in. Giving cash is boring and it's why cash isn't usually regarded as a good gift:



There's no thought to handing over cash. It's an empty gesture. Actually getting outside and tipping water on yourself says that you care.

 

A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #82 of 114
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
Your obstinacy is only exceeded by your ignorance.

 

Thanks for not actually refuting anything I said, but whatever, I guess.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #83 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Thanks for not actually refuting anything I said, but whatever, I guess.

You guessed right: whatever.
post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...

How would that encourage other people to join in and give more cash? Some millionaires giving a donation. People are inherently selfish so you have to encourage them to get something out of giving and having some fun is one way to do that.
post #85 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

Seeing adults behaving like children is fun for children. It's the hip thing these days for adults-especially guys-to be infantile. Damning indictment of the world today.

 

just as long as they don't to breast feed I'm fine with it.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/case-definition.html

 

“Survives within airborne droplets of water” is, in fact, “airborne”.

The thing you've put in quotation marks isn't in the source you cite.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #87 of 114
@TallestSkil, because of how deadly it is once contracted extra precautions are being taken but it's not classified as being airborne.
Quote:
We caught up with Steve Morse, an epidemiologist at Columbia University, to talk about the outbreak and where it might go from here. Below are four key things we learned. […] “Ebola is not airborne, and it’s extremely unlikely that it will mutate to be airborne,” Morse says. Although it’s theoretically possible, it’s incredibly rare for a pathogen to change its route of transmission.
Quote:
“Unlike infections such as influenza or tuberculosis, Ebola is not airborne,” says Dr Isabelle Nuttall, Director of WHO Global Capacity Alert and Response. “It can only be transmitted by direct contact with the body fluids of a person who is sick with the disease.”

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #88 of 114

Just for clarity, if a person with ebola sneezes and their saliva flies onto someone else's person, they may get ebola, but the disease isn't "airborne" in the medical sense of the word?  For it to be classed as airborne, presumably it needs to be able to survive in the air for a significant amount of time, or indefinitely?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #89 of 114
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@TallestSkil, because of how deadly it is once contracted extra precautions are being taken but it's not classified as being airborne.
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Just for clarity, if a person with ebola sneezes and their saliva flies onto someone else's person, they may get ebola, but the disease isn't "airborne" in the medical sense of the word?

 

I get your point. However…

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #90 of 114

Nice picture, but it's not a complete story.  Can non-airborne diseases be transferred from respiratory droplets exposed from the mouth?  Maybe they can if the transference is direct and quick, and therefore, maybe that's what ebola is?

 

The question is: what does it take for a disease to be classified as airborne?  I'm sure there's going to be a precise medical definition, so does ebola fit that?

 

I don't know exactly what that definition is, but the consensus seems to be no.  You're the only one arguing otherwise, and you're doing it with pictures and an absence of direct citations from medical sources.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #91 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I get your point. However…


That's not the same thing. It's like saying the people flown from Africa to the CDC in Atlanta made Ebola airborne simply because the disease was flying in a plane. The same goes for spitting a loogie into someone's mouth. That doesn't classify it as being airborne. But that's beside the point, if WHO and CDC say it's not classified as airborne then it's not classified as airborne. If you want to argue that we should change the definition then that's something entirely different.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #92 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

A charity couldn't care less about some idiot pouring water on himself. All they want is the cash. Oh brother...

How would that encourage other people to join in and give more cash? Some millionaires giving a donation. People are inherently selfish so you have to encourage them to get something out of giving and having some fun is one way to do that.

 

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect. If you are a good person, there is no need to be encouraged to give; you will do it anyway.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #93 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect.

They entire human race is selfish. Every last one of us.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #94 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They entire human race is selfish. Every last one of us.

The framers of the Constitution understood this well, and I prefer the term "self-interest" versus selfishness or greed.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #95 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect. If you are a good person, there is no need to be encouraged to give; you will do it anyway.

How do you give to a charity you haven't heard of?

 

The ice buckets are raising awareness, which thereby encourages them to give to a charity and cause they may have been oblivious to previously.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #96 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You may be inherently selfish, but to extrapolate that to the whole human race is incorrect.

They entire human race is selfish. Every last one of us.

You might as well say that the entire human race is murderous. Just because from time to time you may think murderous thoughts doesn't make you murderous. Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

To reduce the human race to one emotion is to reduce to absurdity, and therefore you are making an untruth.

It is as true to say that the entire human race is good as it is to say that the entire human race is selfish. Pointless and meaningless.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #97 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You might as well say that the entire human race is murderous. Just because from time to time you may think murderous thoughts doesn't make you murderous. Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

To reduce the human race to one emotion is to reduce to absurdity, and therefore you are making an untruth.

It is as true to say that the entire human race is good as it is to say that the entire human race is selfish. Pointless and meaningless.


1) Not everyone has murdered.

2) Self interest isn't an emotion.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #98 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You might as well say that the entire human race is murderous. Just because from time to time you may think murderous thoughts doesn't make you murderous. Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

To reduce the human race to one emotion is to reduce to absurdity, and therefore you are making an untruth.

It is as true to say that the entire human race is good as it is to say that the entire human race is selfish. Pointless and meaningless.


1) Not everyone has murdered.

2) Self interest isn't an emotion.

1 I didn't refer to the act of murdering, which is an action, but murderous thoughts, which is an emotion.

2 I didn't refer to self interest, which is different to selfishness.

To jump out of the way of an oncoming bus is an act of self interest, not selfishness. To eat all the cake at tea time with your family is selfish, as is murdering a ninety year old woman in the street for the $5 in her handbag.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

1 I didn't refer to the act of murdering, which is an action, but murderous thoughts, which is an emotion.

2 I didn't refer to self interest, which is different to selfishness.

To jump out of the way of an oncoming bus is an act of self interest, not selfishness. To eat all the cake at tea time with your family is selfish, as is murdering a ninety year old woman in the street for the $5 in her handbag.

1) The original comment was being selfish. That's an act.

2) Self interest is selfishness. Everyone's selfish.

3) You're choosing to use two similar terms to define positive and negative self interest/selfishness.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #100 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

1 I didn't refer to the act of murdering, which is an action, but murderous thoughts, which is an emotion.

2 I didn't refer to self interest, which is different to selfishness.

To jump out of the way of an oncoming bus is an act of self interest, not selfishness. To eat all the cake at tea time with your family is selfish, as is murdering a ninety year old woman in the street for the $5 in her handbag.

1) The original comment was being selfish. That's an act.

2) Self interest is selfishness. Everyone's selfish.

3) You're choosing to use two similar terms to define positive and negative self interest/selfishness.

 

Selfishness is commonly used as a negative trait, so your petty argument is moot.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #101 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Selfishness is commonly used as a negative trait, so your petty argument is moot.

I guess you're right because words only have one meaning and so long as we have your colloquial definition¡


PS: Stop being so selfish.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #102 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Selfishness is commonly used as a negative trait, so your petty argument is moot.

I guess you're right because words only have one meaning and so long as we have your colloquial definition¡


PS: Stop being so selfish.

 

You appear to be asking the impossible, as according to you, everyone is selfish. You're wrong, of course.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #103 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You appear to be asking the impossible, as according to you, everyone is selfish. You're wrong, of course.

Name one person that has never once acted in favour themselves.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #104 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You appear to be asking the impossible, as according to you, everyone is selfish. You're wrong, of course.

Name one person that has never once acted in favour themselves.

 

The Messiah.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #105 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The Messiah.

Nope.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #106 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

The majority of things that people do are for selfish motives. People are well aware that there are other people in their locality who haven't eaten for days but they make no effort to sacrifice their own meal for them. When people go to work, they do it in return for money and would rarely overwork for the benefit of the company or the people the company serves. When people give gifts it's almost always for an occasion like a birthday or anniversary, people hardly ever just randomly give someone a gift. They meet an expectation of them in order that by satisfying that expectation they get an emotional reward (sometimes physical if lucky). Defining people as selfish doesn't mean they act selfishly 100% of the time, just the majority of the time and it's the exception when they don't. That's why people need to be encouraged to donate money; if people get nothing out of it then a lot of people simply wouldn't bother. It's a sad fact and the danger is in turning that observation into a positive life philosophy i.e recognising that people primarily look out for themselves and therefore that should be promoted as a good thing. Selfishness needs to be fought against or at least controlled to benefit the majority and that takes effort.
post #107 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just because you may sometimes be selfish doesn't make you selfish.

The majority of things that people do are for selfish motives. People are well aware that there are other people in their locality who haven't eaten for days but they make no effort to sacrifice their own meal for them. When people go to work, they do it in return for money and would rarely overwork for the benefit of the company or the people the company serves. When people give gifts it's almost always for an occasion like a birthday or anniversary, people hardly ever just randomly give someone a gift. They meet an expectation of them in order that by satisfying that expectation they get an emotional reward (sometimes physical if lucky). Defining people as selfish doesn't mean they act selfishly 100% of the time, just the majority of the time and it's the exception when they don't. That's why people need to be encouraged to donate money; if people get nothing out of it then a lot of people simply wouldn't bother. It's a sad fact and the danger is in turning that observation into a positive life philosophy i.e recognising that people primarily look out for themselves and therefore that should be promoted as a good thing. Selfishness needs to be fought against or at least controlled to benefit the majority and that takes effort.

 

I would say that you have a deeply cynical view of life that isn't true to the reality of it. 

 

Here in England, there is no need to go hungry, as we cater for the homeless.

 

For you to say anecdotally that people hardly ever give a gift randomly is incredibly stupid. I can only presume that you speak for yourself, which would be sad. In my experience, people can be amazingly selfless and helpful. Yes, we can all be bad, we all are bad some of the time, but I don't recognise your vision of humanity.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #108 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Name one person that has never once acted in favour themselves.

Any woman who has ever allowed their partner to stick it in the bummy, trust me, I know, that's one of the most selfish acts a human being could ever do. 1smile.gif Sorry, couldn't help my self please continue.
Edited by Relic - 8/16/14 at 2:34pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #109 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nope.
Oooh, how about that dude from the Koran, Muhammad or something, you know, the prophet guy with all of those virgin's. Which frankly I never understood the appeal, wouldn't a guy rather have 70 professionals, you know, the kind of girls you have to use a safe word with to make her stop dripping wax on your balls. 75 virgin's just sounds like, hmmmm, oh, a big ol'e sticky mess, the dry cleaning bill alone after the first nights orgy is going to be massive.
Edited by Relic - 8/16/14 at 7:15pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #110 of 114
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
...wouldn’t a guy rather have 70 professional, you know...

 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #111 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

people can be amazingly selfless and helpful.

Again, I didn't say people are never selfless, it is just the exception. If it was commonplace, they would run out of awards for selfless services or not bother handing them out as they do now. There's a video here that shows how cruel humans can be. It's a disturbing video as it shows a 2 year old child left to die on a road in China after being run over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DyDNMU8nnI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Wang_Yue

That sort of thing wouldn't happen everywhere but the motivation in events like that wouldn't always be to help out and would rather be to avoid being seen as a complete degenerate by not helping out. In extreme cases like that, I would hope that most civilized people would help out but it's easy to see how people can be selfish in trivial scenarios when they can be in extreme cases like that.

If you want to believe that everyone is volunteering their work, giving gifts away at random and helping to end poverty and disease, so be it. It's not a world that I recognize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic 
frankly I never understood the appeal, wouldn't a guy rather have 70 professionals

Both are appealing I'd say for different reasons - being first has some merit. In some cultures, it is very highly regarded. That was evident with what Uday Hussein was doing:

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,454453,00.html

"A chef at Baghdad's exclusive Hunting Club recalls a wedding party that Uday crashed in the late 1990s. After Uday left the hall, the bride, a beautiful woman from a prominent family, went missing. "The bodyguards closed all the doors, didn't let anybody out," the chef remembers. "Women were yelling and crying, 'What happened to her?'" The groom knew. "He took a pistol and shot himself," says the chef, placing his forefinger under his chin."

Uday kidnapped virgins specifically and quite a few killed themselves out of shame, sometimes they'd be burned with acid directly after so that no one else would have the same experience. It's the idea of exclusivity I suppose, pure selfishness.
post #112 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

people can be amazingly selfless and helpful.

Again, I didn't say people are never selfless, it is just the exception. If it was commonplace, they would run out of awards for selfless services or not bother handing them out as they do now. 
If you want to believe that everyone is volunteering their work, giving gifts away at random and helping to end poverty and disease, so be it. It's not a world that I recognize.
 

 

Problem is, Marvin, you see things in black and white; the world isn't like that.

 

The great marvel of the world is that it is full of countless people doing countless selfless acts of love that are never formally recognised. That doesn't mean, however, that they don't happen. I don't need to believe that everyone does volunteering; I know that many do.

 

Trying to tally the number of awards for good service isn't a good way of trying to measure humanity's selflessness. Whilst getting an award is nice, it's not really a necessary thing. Volunteering services or giving as an act of charity is its own reward. For some lucky people, even their regular work is done as an act of love or vocation. They may get paid for it, but it isn't what drives them. I think Sir Jonathan Ive made some statement to this effect quite recently.

 

When you see the news, it is easy to form the impression that humanity is very black, as most news is bad news. Good news doesn't sell. 


Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/16/14 at 4:24pm
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #113 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Problem is, Marvin, you see things in black and white; the world isn't like that.

THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING!!!! Not Marvin and not anyone else disagreeing with you!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #114 of 114

:lol:

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Phil Schiller challenges CEO Tim Cook in 'ice bucket challenge' to raise money for ALS research