or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats makes documentary celebrating 25th anniversary of film 'Do the Right Thing'

Apple's Beats makes documentary celebrating 25th anniversary of film 'Do the Right Thing'

post #1 of 64
Beats Music on Thursday published a short 22-minute documentary on Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing," a landmark film dealing with race in America celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.

The video, titled "Do The Right Thing 25 Year Anniversary: A Beats Music Experience," follows writer, director and star Lee as he tours the two-block area where most of the film was shot. Accompanying the filmmaker is actor Danny Aiello, who won an Academy Award for his portrayal of pizza shop owner "Sal."

As Lee, Aiello and production designer Wynn Thomas make their way through Brooklyn's Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood, they stop at a number of spots featured in the 1989 film, offering behind-the-scenes commentary interposed with cutscenes shot at each location. The result yields an interesting look at what has changed, and what has stayed the same, over the intervening 25 years.

Being a Beats Music production, the documentary wraps up with a block party featuring a performance of "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy. The song is closely associated with the film as a full version plays over the opening credits, while snippets are used as a recurring plot device.

A number of celebrities also came out for the bash, including Mos Def, Erykah Badu, Dave Chappelle and Wesley Snipes, among others. As noted by Variety, the video is not merely a celebration of "Do the Right Thing," but is also a vehicle for Beats Music to expand its brand after being purchased by Apple in May.
post #2 of 64

What to say?

post #3 of 64
Looks like Beats could turn out to become a lot more than headphones and a streaming service. Loving this and look forward to what Beats might bring to the table. I suspect the people that hate this 'union' will end up having to eat crow. With Apple seemingly entering into the corporate sector in a serious way, and also the health and fitness arena, the Beats acquisition represents a very different side of the company. Apple is undergoing a major transition.
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Looks like Beats could turn out to become a lot more than headphones and a streaming service. Loving this and look forward to what Beats might bring to the table. I suspect the people that hate this 'union' will end up having to eat crow. With Apple seemingly entering into the corporate sector in a serious way, and also the health and fitness arena, the Beats acquisition represents a very different side of the company. Apple is undergoing a major transition.
like what?
post #5 of 64
I know a few people on this forum NEED to watch this film.
Not going to mention names.

This Beats deal is really making a ton of sense now.
Diversity and now this. Great job Tim Cook. CEO of the year for 2014
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

like what?

If you need ask?
post #7 of 64

What does Apple's Beats have to do with a movie made by Spike Lee and why would they make a documentary about that?

I question Apple's motives here and I don't like Apple supporting the likes of Spike Lee and his agenda. He's one of the biggest hypocrites and racists around that walks in two shoes. I don't give two craps if he's black or whatever, he doesn't get any damn pass from me for his past comments and his actions.

Most recently he was complaining about how white people were moving into his old Brooklyn neighborhood. 

http://time.com/10666/spike-lees-racism-isnt-cute-m-f-hipster-is-the-new-honkey/

Apple seems to be getting more and more political, pandering to leftist racist groups, kowtowing to wacky environmental groups, submitting to anti-golobalization lunatics and now they're making documentaries celebrating a movie made by a hateful little man with a constant chip on his shoulder.

Spike Lee is also the ignorant genius who tweeted out the address of George Zimmerman during the whole Trayvon Martin circus. It turned out that the address was false. Spike Lee put innocent lives in danger with his irrational hatred and his stupid actions.

I guess that it's ok for Apple to associate with and to celebrate movies made by such despicable characters, but we all know damn well that if it were anybody else who was equally as controversial who belonged to the "other" side, then Apple would probably have nothing to do with them at all.

I call BS on all of Apple's diversity talk. It seems to be an empty, meaningless slogan, as Apple is truly becoming more and more politically extreme.

I've said it before, but Apple should stay the hell out of politics, in my humble opinion.

I am not liking this new side to Apple that I have been seeing lately at all. This is just terrible.

post #8 of 64
mmmmmmmmmm….Rosie Perez dancing
post #9 of 64
@TS
Staying the he'll out of politics is of course highly political. There's always a 'side'. Apple is doing a great balancing act.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you need ask?
I guess I don't understand what this film has to do with Apple. Most likely it was in the works before Apple bought Beats. Not sure what exactly it's signaling.
post #11 of 64
Don't tell dr blank.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

@TS
Staying the he'll out of politics is of course highly political. There's always a 'side'. Apple is doing a great balancing act.
Steve had it right when he ran Apple. Apple's MO is making great products. That's all the company should about.
post #13 of 64
Quote:

Still waiting to hear about the Apple college scholarship for women and minorities. When do you think Tim will announce it?
post #14 of 64
Quote:

I guess I don't understand what this film has to do with Apple. Most likely it was in the works before Apple bought Beats. Not sure what exactly it's signaling.

Guys/gals like you and Apple][ will never get that embracing ethnic diversity and globalization (including China and the 'third world') is simply the future of any large, successful business.

You'll either come to grips with it some day, or just grow old embittered and left behind. :lol:

post #15 of 64
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
embracing globalization is simply the future of any large, successful business. You'll either come to grips with it some day, or just grow old embittered and left behind.

Or, you know, cater to a specific country or group thereof rather than the entire world. Nothing wrong with that at all.

post #16 of 64
When that woman in the orange shirt comes on stage and starts yelling for peace it sounds more like she's rounding up the troops for war. Who preaches for peace in that manner? She speaks of peace but her tone reeks of violence.
post #17 of 64
Quote:

Steve had it right when he ran Apple. Apple's MO is making great products. That's all the company should about.

Time changes and companies often need to adapt.

IBM has its roots in two 19th century commercial scale companies. Nintendo made playing cards. General Electric made lightbulbs.

Steve has been dead for years and over half of Apple's revenues come from a product that didn't even exist eight years ago, a product that has made the company with the largest market capitalization on the planet and the biggest cash hoard. 

Look at BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion): they are making the same type of handsets that they made eight years ago and their marketshare has dwindled to almost nothing.

Ignoring changing conditions sent high-flying companies like Sun Microsystems and Silicon Graphics to the grave.

Based on your history of postings, I'm not convinced that you are qualified to tell Apple how to run their business. Sure, you are free to express your opinion, but whether or not anyone takes you seriously is something you have to consider when you post. If you don't care what others think about you, then go for it.

post #18 of 64
Quote:

Guys/gals like you and Apple][ will never get that embracing ethnic diversity and globalization (including China and the 'third world') is simply the future of any large, successful business.

You'll either come to grips with it some day, or just grow old embittered and left behind. lol.gif
What does that have to do with this film?
post #19 of 64

This documentary is more proof the 5.5" iPhone is coming.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Time changes and companies often need to adapt.

IBM has its roots in two 19th century commercial scale companies. Nintendo made playing cards. General Electric made lightbulbs.

Steve has been dead for years and over half of Apple's revenues come from a product that didn't even exist eight years ago, a product that has made the company with the largest market capitalization on the planet and the biggest cash hoard. 

Look at BlackBerry (formerly Research In Motion): they are making the same type of handsets that they made eight years ago and their marketshare has dwindled to almost nothing.

Ignoring changing conditions sent high-flying companies like Sun Microsystems and Silicon Graphics to the grave.

Based on your history of postings, I'm not convinced that you are qualified to tell Apple how to run their business. Sure, you are free to express your opinion, but whether or not anyone takes you seriously is something you have to consider when you post. If you don't care what others think about you, then go for it.
As if nobody else here ever expresses how Apple should run their business. lol.gif I know my politics don't match the politics of most people here but I could give a shit less. It's a free country and everyone is free to express their opinions as they wish. Personally I think people are reading way too much in this film being released. Most likely it was in the works before Apple purchased Beats. I don't think it's any sort of commentary on the future of Apple. As far as time changing and Apple needing to adapt, what was WWDC? What was the partnership with
IBM? I think Apple is adapting, but the core is about great products, no more no less.
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually it means a 6.5" phone is coming. If you're going to go, go big. 1smoking.gif
post #22 of 64
Quote:

As if nobody else here ever expresses how Apple should run their business. lol.gifI know my politics don't match the politics of most people here but I could give a shit less. It's a free country and everyone is free to express their opinions as they wish. Personally I think people are reading way too much in this film being released. Most likely it was in the works before Apple purchased Beats. I don't think it's any sort of commentary on the future of Apple. As far as time changing and Apple needing to adapt, what was WWDC? What was the partnership with
IBM? I think Apple is adapting, but the core is about great products, no more no less.

Well, it may be the case that the documentary was started before the merger, however Apple did approve of the release of the documentary. They could have sh!t-canned the project and let it die. Instead, they let it proceed to its conclusion, then green-lighted it for publication.

Yes, Apple is about great products, but how it gets people to buy those products has evolved. Remember, six years ago the iOS App Store had a handful of titles. When Apple debuted the iPod, there was no iTunes Store.

Content is a big driver for Apple product sales, so much so that iTunes/App Store revenue now is mentioned in the quarterly analyst conference calls. A few years ago, the iTunes/App Store revenue did not merit a dollar figure.

The Beats "Do The Right Thing" documentary reflects Apple's interest in creating in-house exclusive content. The ongoing UK-based iTunes Festival is another example of Apple creating exclusive content. Apple is no longer relying on third-party content creators to provide special material for Apple customers, they are doing it themselves.

I expect Beats management (Dr. Dre & Jimmy Iovine) to take full control over the iTunes Festival next year.

post #23 of 64
Quote:
What does that have to do with this film?

Oh, it was a larger, more broad-brush statement about the two of you, whose proclivities are fairly obvious (to a fair number of people) on this forum.

post #24 of 64

Let's see Samsung copy that.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

took the words right out of my mouth

We all know gangsters love dem BIG phones. /s

post #26 of 64
Quote:

I expect Beats management (Dr. Dre & Jimmy Iovine) to take full control over the iTunes Festival next year.

Now that will be ultra cool.

Can't wait.

post #27 of 64
Quote:

So Apple can only do one thing at a time?

They can only make great products but not have a voice on important social issues?

IMO, being the most valuable company in the world Apple does have a responsibility to lead.

post #28 of 64
Quote:

So Apple can only do one thing at a time?

They can only make great products but not have a voice on important social issues?

IMO, being the most valuable company in the world Apple does have a responsibility to lead.
Lead how? According to what you believe is important? Like most companies Apple sells their products to a wide and diverse set of customers who don't all have the same beliefs and political viewpoints. As a shareholder I want Apple to make the best products and sell as many of them as possible. I don't invest in Apple so it's CEO can shove his political views in my face.
post #29 of 64
Quote:

took the words right out of my mouth

We all know gangsters love dem BIG phones. /s
Prediction: the 5.5" phone will be a limited edition 24-karat gold phone designed by Dre. 1biggrin.gif
post #30 of 64
Quote:

Oh, it was a larger, more broad-brush statement about the two of you, whose proclivities are fairly obvious (to a fair number of people) on this forum.
Sorry I don't drink the kool-aid, Jim Jones. 1wink.gif
post #31 of 64
Quote:

Lead how? According to what you believe is important? Like most companies Apple sells their products to a wide and diverse set of customers who don't all have the same beliefs and political viewpoints. As a shareholder I want Apple to make the best products and sell as many of them as possible. I don't invest in Apple so it's CEO can shove his political views in my face.

You have tens of thousands of publicly-traded corporations to invest in. No one is coercing you to invest in AAPL.

Again, companies change. My AAPL shares were purchased when someone else was CEO. If I didn't think that current Apple senior management team was as good as the old one, I would have dumped my AAPL investment. 

You seem to base your investment on political views of the CEO. That's not a noteworthy investment strategy.

Stick your money in a place where you won't lose much sleep. But don't stick your money in a company whom you think can do better, if someone else is actually doing better. That's bad investing or more accurately that you're a poor judge of character.

Again, we will point to your ongoing habit of making bombastic statements, then cowering when confronted with the call to present evidence supporting your stance.

post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What does Apple's Beats have to do with a movie made by Spike Lee and why would they make a documentary about that?

I question Apple's motives here and I don't like Apple supporting the likes of Spike Lee and his agenda. He's one of the biggest hypocrites and racists around that walks in two shoes. I don't give two craps if he's black or whatever, he doesn't get any damn pass from me for his past comments and his actions.

Most recently he was complaining about how white people were moving into his old Brooklyn neighborhood. 

http://time.com/10666/spike-lees-racism-isnt-cute-m-f-hipster-is-the-new-honkey/

Apple seems to be getting more and more political, pandering to leftist racist groups, kowtowing to wacky environmental groups, submitting to anti-golobalization lunatics and now they're making documentaries celebrating a movie made by a hateful little man with a constant chip on his shoulder.

Spike Lee is also the ignorant genius who tweeted out the address of George Zimmerman during the whole Trayvon Martin circus. It turned out that the address was false. Spike Lee put innocent lives in danger with his irrational hatred and his stupid actions.

I guess that it's ok for Apple to associate with and to celebrate movies made by such despicable characters, but we all know damn well that if it were anybody else who was equally as controversial who belonged to the "other" side, then Apple would probably have nothing to do with them at all.

I call BS on all of Apple's diversity talk. It seems to be an empty, meaningless slogan, as Apple is truly becoming more and more politically extreme.

I've said it before, but Apple should stay the hell out of politics, in my humble opinion.

I am not liking this new side to Apple that I have been seeing lately at all. This is just terrible.

I have to say I don't much care for some of the things Apple is doing lately myself such as pandering to the like of Jesse Jackson and such but so long as Apple keeps cranking out the groundbreaking, high-quality products they always have and such panderings don't affect quality or the bottom-line then I am ok with it for now.

post #33 of 64

There are definitely times I don't agree with the politics of Spike Lee. That said, he is an amazing filmmaker. Do The Right Thing was like a shotgun blast into public consciousness back in 1989. It was an amazing film then and it stands the test of time for me. Lee himself seems to want cut and dried answers at times in reality but many times his films admit the truth and show there isn't a clear path or just one solution.

Other great films of his that struck this amazing balance are "He Got Game", "Bamboozled" and "25th Hour."

I'm glad Beats/Apple has put this out there. No one would have raised an eyebrow if this was U2. They shouldn't care if it is Spike Lee. Everyone has their political views. Great films make you think and I don't have to agree with the politics of every musician at their music festival, every filmmaker they feature or every issue near and dear to the heart of their CEO or board to enjoy Apple products or enjoy Apple efforts in the artistic realm.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

There are definitely times I don't agree with the politics of Spike Lee. That said, he is an amazing filmmaker. Do The Right Thing was like a shotgun blast into public consciousness back in 1989. It was an amazing film then and it stands the test of time for me. Lee himself seems to want cut and dried answers at times in reality but many times his films admit the truth and show there isn't a clear path or just one solution.

Other great films of his that struck this amazing balance are "He Got Game", "Bamboozled" and "25th Hour."

I'm glad Beats/Apple has put this out there. No one would have raised an eyebrow if this was U2. They shouldn't care if it is Spike Lee. Everyone has their political views. Great films make you think and I don't have to agree with the politics of every musician at their music festival, every filmmaker they feature or every issue near and dear to the heart of their CEO or board to enjoy Apple products or enjoy Apple efforts in the artistic realm.

As far as I know, U2 didn't make their name by posing as a Malcolm X wannabe or sowing race hatred and division. Spike Lee has also become a very sloppy filmmaker who has been coasting on his early films for many years.
Edited by SpamSandwich - 8/15/14 at 7:42am

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #35 of 64
Quote:

It's almost as if Apple were founded by a bunch of counter culture San Francisco hippies!
post #36 of 64
Quote:

Well, it may be the case that the documentary was started before the merger, however Apple did approve of the release of the documentary. They could have sh!t-canned the project and let it die. Instead, they let it proceed to its conclusion, then green-lighted it for publication.

Yes, Apple is about great products, but how it gets people to buy those products has evolved. Remember, six years ago the iOS App Store had a handful of titles. When Apple debuted the iPod, there was no iTunes Store.

Content is a big driver for Apple product sales, so much so that iTunes/App Store revenue now is mentioned in the quarterly analyst conference calls. A few years ago, the iTunes/App Store revenue did not merit a dollar figure.

The Beats "Do The Right Thing" documentary reflects Apple's interest in creating in-house exclusive content. The ongoing UK-based iTunes Festival is another example of Apple creating exclusive content. Apple is no longer relying on third-party content creators to provide special material for Apple customers, they are doing it themselves.

If they're staying on as Apple employees one would hope they have actual job duties and aren't just collecting a paycheck. And if Iovine and Dre were really worth $3B then we should expect the future of iTunes and Apple's music offerings to blow everybody away and be nothing like what's on the market today. 1smile.gif
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

As far as I know, U2 didn't make their name by prosing as a Malcolm X wannabe or sowing race hatred and division. Spike Lee has also become a very sloppy filmmaker who has been coasting on his early films for many years.

You seriously would suggest that U2 hasn't been coasting on the success of their earlier years? Their best selling album was The Joshua Tree from 1987 at 25+ million. Everything since then has been less with their latest taking several years to reach 5 million. That isn't to say they aren't successful but their heyday was decades ago.

U2 didn't make their name posing as a Malcolm X wannabe? They have certainly been political and over time have stripped anything controversial away from their songs. Their first big single was Sunday Bloody Sunday.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a song by rock band U2. It is the opening track from their 1983 album War and was released as the album's third single on 11 March 1983 in Germany and the Netherlands.[2] "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is noted for its militaristic drumbeat, harsh guitar, and melodic harmonies.[3] One of U2's most overtly political songs, its lyrics describe the horror felt by an observer of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, mainly focusing on the Bloody Sunday incident in Derry where British troops shot and killed unarmed civil rights protesters and bystanders who were there to rally against internment (imprisonment without trial). Along with "New Year's Day", the song helped U2 reach a wider listening audience. It was generally well received by critics on the album's release.[4][5]

It's almost like they are asking people to.......fight the powers that be as in the abuse of power by authority. Though U2 just REACTS to it and asks how long it must go on without ever really addressing how such atrocities should end.

BTW, 1983 was a long time ago too. Their next single Pride (In the Name of Love) about Dr. MLK. I mean the themes being hit in the 80's were what they were and U2 were hitting them as well.

(PRODUCT)RED might even be criticized as cashing in on social consciousness without delivering a result or even much cash. I'd argue that is something U2 has done through their entire career.

post #38 of 64
Quote:

Spike wasn't complaining of whites moving in. His issue is with them now dictating what long time residents can or cannot do. You're more than welcome to move in next door to me, but don't think for a second that I'm going to change my ways to placate you.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #39 of 64
Quote:

It's a documentary, not a manifesto.

And the idea that a company is becoming "extreme" by adopting an "empty, meaningless slogan" is entertaining.  If it's so empty and meaningless then what's the big concern?

censored

censored

post #40 of 64
Quote:

Diversity is a code word for ethnicity. The report Apple released should be called the ethnicity report as diversity is reflected in a lot of different ways than race.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Beats makes documentary celebrating 25th anniversary of film 'Do the Right Thing'