or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple highlights corporate diversity with new showcase of company vice presidents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple highlights corporate diversity with new showcase of company vice presidents

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday added a new tier to its official leadership page, listing five corporate vice presidents and spotlighting some of its diversity beyond the more well-known CEO and senior vice presidents.




Paul Deneve of special projects, Linda Jackson of environmental initiatives, Joel Podolny of Apple University, Johny Srouji of hardware technologies, and Denise Young Smith of human resources are all now part of the "Apple Leadership" page. Two of them --?Deneve and Jackson -- are recent hires to the company, with both having joined in 2013.

The five new faces on the page are also noteworthy because of the inclusion of two women. Previously Angela Ahrendts, the head of Apple's retail operations, was the only woman pictured for the company's executive profiles.

Also listed on Apple's leadership page, without accompanying picture thumbnails, is the company's board of directors, which also recently saw a change: Susan L. Wagner, co-founder and director of BlackRock, joined the board last month, replacing Bill Campbell and bringing a second woman onto the oversight group.

The lack of diversity on both Apple's executive team and its board of directors was highlighted by critics earlier this year. The company responded by revising its corporate charter to explicitly say it will consider women and minorities as board candidates.




And Ahrendts officially joined Apple's senior leadership team in April, making her the only woman among the upper echelon of the company's management.

The updated Apple Leadership page comes a few days after the company published a report detailing the diversity of its workforce. Apple revealed that its U.S.-based employees are overwhelmingly white and male, and CEO Tim Cook made it clear he is "not satisfied" with the current demographic at his company.

"We are making progress, and we're committed to being as innovative in advancing diversity as we are in developing our products," Cook said.
post #2 of 57
Look. We have a bald guy, a fat guy, a skinny guy, a woman with bad hair......what the f do you want more from us?
post #3 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Look. We have a bald guy, a fat guy, a skinny guy, a woman with bad hair......what the f do you want more from us?

LMAO!!!!

post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Look. We have a bald guy, a fat guy, a skinny guy, a woman with bad hair......what the f do you want more from us?

Not to mention... two are leaning left, two slightly to the right and one just about straight up the middle!   :smokey: 

post #5 of 57

Diversity = Different.

Think Different.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #6 of 57

Three are showing their teeth; two aren't. Well done on the diversity front, Apple.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #7 of 57

Why no gingers?

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #8 of 57

Friendly proofing for the AI editors: you mistakenly refer to Lisa Jackson as Linda Jackson in the article body.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone 

 

Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why no gingers?

I think albinos are woefully underrepresented.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #10 of 57

Are there any left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall working for Apple?

 

If not, then why the hell not?

 

As a representative for the organization that represents left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall, I demand an immediate explanation from Apple as to why such horrible discrimination is still allowed to take place in the twenty first century. It is a complete travesty. Our organization and in fact our entire community will not stand for it any longer. Join me brothers and sisters as we have the power to change the world.

 

After consulting with my fellow colleague and race baiting friend, Jesse Jackson, my organization has now decided to shake you down Apple. You have hereby been warned.

 

Swarms of midgets will now picket and protest outside Apple headquarters 24-7, until our message gets across and until our human rights and dignity is respected.

 

We demand that there be at least one midget on the board of directors, and we also demand that at least 25% of all urinals in Apple facilities be lowered by no less than fourteen inches.  There should also be at least one midget working in every single Apple retail store. That is just some of our demands. We will be monitoring future developments and we hope to see positive improvements when Apple releases their next diversity report.

 

Thank You.

post #11 of 57
And 100% of them are different. That's really all that should matter.
post #12 of 57
is Apple the only company being targeted for this crap?
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

Are there any left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall working for Apple?

 

If not, then why the hell not?

 

As a representative for the organization that represents left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall, I demand an immediate explanation from Apple as to why such horrible discrimination is still allowed to take place in the twenty first century. It is a complete travesty. Our organization and in fact our entire community will not stand for it any longer. Join me brothers and sisters as we have the power to change the world.

 

After consulting with my fellow colleague and race baiting friend, Jesse Jackson, my organization has now decided to shake you down Apple. You have hereby been warned.

 

Swarms of midgets will now picket and protest outside Apple headquarters 24-7, until our message gets across and until our human rights and dignity is respected.

 

We demand that there be at least one midget on the board of directors, and we also demand that at least 25% of all urinals in Apple facilities be lowered by no less than fourteen inches.  There should also be at least one midget working in every single Apple retail store. That is just some of our demands. We will be monitoring future developments and we hope to see positive improvements when Apple releases their next diversity report.

 

Thank You.

Some people with dwarfism prefer to be called "little people".

Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #14 of 57
Originally Posted by city View Post
Some people with dwarfism prefer to be called "little people".

 

“Fun size.”

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

And 100% of them are different. That's really all that should matter.

 

Just as they would be if they were all clean-shaven white guys aged 55 who lived in Palo Alto.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by city View Post
Some people with dwarfism prefer to be called "little people".

 

“Fun size.”

 

Bite size.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

is Apple the only company being targeted for this crap?

Extortionists and blackmailers only target companies with a lot of money.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think albinos are woefully underrepresented.

Bigfoots need management opportunities too.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #19 of 57
Nope it is the latest leftist BS meant to make a better world at the expense of intelligence. Apple would do well to concentrate on intelligent and productive people. There are enough to go around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

is Apple the only company being targeted for this crap?
post #20 of 57
I'd be very happy to see apple import some Thai and Turkish woman. Why not go for the best instead of settling for less?
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

 Apple would do well to concentrate on intelligent and productive people. There are enough to go around.

Really? I thought that was part of the issue with the no poaching pact. Intelligent and productive employees are ALL working somewhere so you have to somehow find them, convince them and train them, only for them to get poached by some other company. It is not like driving down to Fry's Electronics and they are waiting outside like the day laborers waiting outside of Home Depot.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 57
From http://www.innovationmanagement.se/imtool-articles/why-diversity-is-the-mother-of-creativity/

"Arguably, one of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. We all know that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background. Tests have shown that the one sure-fire way of improving your creativity is to move abroad. Not travel, but move. Living in a new culture, learning new ways of doing things and, in short, diversifying your life makes you more creative. That’s not surprising."

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #23 of 57
GREAT STUFF!
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

From http://www.innovationmanagement.se/imtool-articles/why-diversity-is-the-mother-of-creativity/

"Arguably, one of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. We all know that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background. Tests have shown that the one sure-fire way of improving your creativity is to move abroad. Not travel, but move. Living in a new culture, learning new ways of doing things and, in short, diversifying your life makes you more creative. That’s not surprising."

Apple didn't do too badly when it was Jobs and Woz (plus the other one). Did Jobs have a beard those days? If not, then one beard, two clean-shaven. Not bad.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

From http://www.innovationmanagement.se/imtool-articles/why-diversity-is-the-mother-of-creativity/

"Arguably, one of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. We all know that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background. Tests have shown that the one sure-fire way of improving your creativity is to move abroad. Not travel, but move. Living in a new culture, learning new ways of doing things and, in short, diversifying your life makes you more creative. That’s not surprising."

Thanks. Anybody who's worked with or even just hung out with people of different cultures knows this is the truth, and worth going after for its own sake.

Within reason, though. Diversity is still secondary to talent in Apple's hiring policy, I'm sure.
post #26 of 57

I don't like the tone of most of the posts here, but I have to admit that they're funny.....:D

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

is Apple the only company being targeted for this crap?
who's targeting them?
post #28 of 57
All of the people added to the leadership page report directly to Cook so perhaps that's why Apple added them. The timing is interesting though. I don't see Bob Mansfield or sales leadership which also report directly to Cook. Wonder why they were left off. Also interesting is the technologies guy overseeing custom silicon design. Curious that he reports directly to Cook and not hardware engineering SVP Dan Riccio.
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't like the tone of most of the posts here, but I have to admit that they're funny.....1biggrin.gif

Tonist.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd be very happy to see apple import some Thai and Turkish woman. Why not go for the best instead of settling for less?

Just make sure they're not pear-shaped; they wouldn't fit in.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't like the tone of most of the posts here, but I have to admit that they're funny.....1biggrin.gif

You're on the first step to enlightenment.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #32 of 57
People that don't get to play in the sand box usually have to cry baby their way into the sand box. Cook all the sudden isn't satisfied? Lol. Ok. Whatever. Bean counting lefties. Hire the most qualified and get over it.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd be very happy to see apple import some Thai and Turkish woman. Why not go for the best instead of settling for less?

 

What about a half-Thai and half-Turkish two-for-one special?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 
Sounds as though you have a lot of experience waiting outside Home Depot; I'm not surprised.

You are right and I am not particularly proud of it, but I can't find any qualified workers anywhere else. I wish they had green cards and I would be perfectly willing to pay their Social Security and taxes but that is not easy to do since they are undocumented. I need stuff done on my house and that is about the only way to get it done right away because licensed contractors in SoCal are notoriously unreliable and they hire the same undocumented workers anyway. 

 

The comparison to skilled data workers I made is based on my experience trying to find qualified employees for my software business.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 57

Don't explode people! The black woman has worked at apple for over a decade.

 

http://www.linkedin.com/in/soprano

post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


Thanks. Anybody who's worked with or even just hung out with people of different cultures knows this is the truth, and worth going after for its own sake.

Within reason, though. Diversity is still secondary to talent in Apple's hiring policy, I'm sure.

No business is going to hire you for a job you are totally unqualified for.

post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

No business is going to hire you for a job you are totally unqualified for.

At the age of 72, no business is going to hire me for anything¡
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are right and I am not particularly proud of it, but I can't find any qualified workers anywhere else. I wish they had green cards and I would be perfectly willing to pay their Social Security and taxes but that is not easy to do since they are undocumented. I need stuff done on my house and that is about the only way to get it done right away because licensed contractors in SoCal are notoriously unreliable and they hire the same undocumented workers anyway. 

The comparison to skilled data workers I made is based on my experience trying to find qualified employees for my software business.
Not being able to find or make qualified employees is a failure of leadership. You cant blame anyone else for that other than yourself.

If you cant find exactly what you consider qualified why not hire the most qualified person that is available to you who wants a shot. Sometimes you have to develop people who have potential... Oh wait that takes leadership nevermind.

Too many companies want ready made people but people who are already qualified for the job may want to grow past what they are already capable of. There has to be a way for them to grow.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 8/15/14 at 11:26pm
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are there any left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall working for Apple?

If not, then why the hell not?

As a representative for the organization that represents left handed, transgendered midgets with red hair who are less than three feet tall, I demand an immediate explanation from Apple as to why such horrible discrimination is still allowed to take place in the twenty first century. It is a complete travesty. Our organization and in fact our entire community will not stand for it any longer. Join me brothers and sisters as we have the power to change the world.

After consulting with my fellow colleague and race baiting friend, Jesse Jackson, my organization has now decided to shake you down Apple. You have hereby been warned.

Swarms of midgets will now picket and protest outside Apple headquarters 24-7, until our message gets across and until our human rights and dignity is respected.

We demand that there be at least one midget on the board of directors, and we also demand that at least 25% of all urinals in Apple facilities be lowered by no less than fourteen inches.  There should also be at least one midget working in every single Apple retail store. That is just some of our demands. We will be monitoring future developments and we hope to see positive improvements when Apple releases their next diversity report.

Thank You.

You might get somewhere with these demands, since we're in a race to impress the Chinese.

However, they have a head start and even gave the theme park a rather sweet name: Kingdom of the Little People. 1tongue.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

From http://www.innovationmanagement.se/imtool-articles/why-diversity-is-the-mother-of-creativity/

"Arguably, one of the most important ingredients for creative thinking is diversity. We all know that diverse teams produce more creative results than teams in which all members are from a similar background. Tests have shown that the one sure-fire way of improving your creativity is to move abroad. Not travel, but move. Living in a new culture, learning new ways of doing things and, in short, diversifying your life makes you more creative. That’s not surprising."

 

I think that may earn a place among the most ridiculous, unsubstantiated, incredible loads of horse crap I've ever read.

 

Anyone who needs to disengage from the known and be immersed in unfamiliarity in order to be creative is dysfunctional and should be weeded out in the first interview.

 

Give me someone who can chew through the mundane, endure repetition and self-stir the equilibrium-upset that allows one to imagine "different" while suffering the routine. THAT is a creative person, and one who will excel in real-world creative pursuits.


Edited by Lorin Schultz - 8/16/14 at 2:11am

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple highlights corporate diversity with new showcase of company vice presidents