or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Beats Music app added to 'Made by Apple' list in iOS App Store

Beats Music app added to 'Made by Apple' list in iOS App Store

post #1 of 46
More than two months after its acquisition of Beats was announced, Apple on Friday officially added the Beats Music streaming audio app to the App Store's featured "Made by Apple" list.

While the free Beats Music app now holds a place on the "Made by Apple" App Store page, the title's developer is still listed as Beats Music, LLC., in line with Apple's promise to keep the firm a separate brand entity.

Beats first launched its subscription-based streaming app and service in January, setting it apart from the crowd with better content discovery and "humanized" song curation.

Following Apple's Beats buyout, the app has rocketed up the charts and now sits at No. 4 in Music, No. 24 for all free apps and No. 41 for top grossing titles. Those numbers are expected to rise even higher after being added to the Made by Apple section and crowned as one of the App Store's "Best New Apps."

Beats Music was last updated at the end of July with enhancements for song suggestions and search history functions. A subscription app, Beats Music boasts an ad-free playlist with over 20 million songs for $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. First-time users can try out the service free for one week, while certain AT&T customers can extend that period to three months.

Apple purchased Beats -- comprised of Beats Electronics and Beats Music -- in May for $3 billion, making it the tech giant's most expensive acquisition to date. Along with Beats' hardware and software arms, Apple snagged employees and co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre as part of the deal. The two media heavyweights will take on senior roles in Cupertino, though it is unclear what impact they will have on Apple's decision making process.
post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More than two months after its acquisition of Beats, Apple on Friday officially added the Beats Music streaming audio app to the App Store's featured "Made by Apple" list.

The deal wasn't finalized until last week so I don't think they could list the Beats app as truly made by Apple until now.

BTW I noticed yesterday in the Spike Lee documentary that the logo has been changed to a play button. When did that happen?

Edit: Looks like the Beats Music logo has the play button and Beats Audio has the round version.

Edited by mstone - 8/15/14 at 2:01pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 46
Too bad they didn't change the rap-centric name as I'll never use or buy it. When they bought Soundjam which became iTunes at least they changed it to an Applelike name. Don't they realize they are alienating many potential customers because Beats denotes rap and hip hop?

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #4 of 46

Samsung will probably be buying SMS Audio pretty soon.

post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Too bad they didn't change the rap-centric name as I'll never use or buy it. When they bought Soundjam which became iTunes at least they changed it to an Applelike name. Don't they realize they are alienating many potential customers because Beats denotes rap and hip hop?

I really like the name and I don't think the origins of the Beats brand will matter in the least. The streaming service covers the whole gamut of music and the headphones may or may not change. Either way, they are selling just fine. Beats is a very Apple like name in my view. But yeah, terrible they didn't changed the name for you even though you'd never use the service :no:

post #6 of 46
Why can't I subscribe through my iTunes account? It wants an email address or my Facebook whenever I open the app. Doesn't make any sense.
post #7 of 46

Beats Music app is still on Google Play.

post #8 of 46

No Beats Music in the UK App Store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Originally Posted by mstone 

Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat years ago. Is that what happened?

We don't care if it's on Google Play or not. This is Apple Insider, geddit?

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No Beats Music in the UK App Store.

We don't care if it's on Google Play or not. This is Apple Insider, geddit?

I can only speak for myself, but I do care if it is on Google Play or not. I would prefer 'not'.

post #10 of 46
Getting some Apple apps on android is not a bad idea. Trick is to always have them better on iOS.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #11 of 46

Why not just shut it down and transfer customers to iTunes? No need for 2 music services. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #12 of 46
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
Getting some Apple apps on android is not a bad idea.

It’s the opposite of any good idea, and there aren’t any neutral ideas…

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #13 of 46
It ain't free if I get a new bill. I hate these apps that are free but all they show me is a login screen . Stupid. At least iTunes Radio is free with commercials. So is Pandora.
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

It ain't free if I get a new bill. I hate these apps that are free but all they show me is a login screen . Stupid. At least iTunes Radio is free with commercials. So is Pandora.

Tell me about it. Any app that requires a login gets deleted double quick (AI excepted, of course).

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I am pretty sure there are neutral ideas , though.

Anyway google makes money on iOS. Apple could do the same on Android. As it makes money with iTunes on windows.
post #16 of 46
Quote:

Anyway google makes money on iOS. Apple could do the same on Android. As it makes money with iTunes on windows.

I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch. Remember, iTunes for Windows was necessary because you needed a computer to activate an iPhone and many iPhone buyers were Windows users. That is no longer the case, you don't need a computer. iTunes for Windows is becoming less relevant everyday. They already canceled Safari for Windows.

post #17 of 46
Quote:

I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch. Remember, iTunes for Windows was necessary because you needed a computer to activate an iPhone and many iPhone buyers were Windows users. That is no longer the case, you don't need a computer. iTunes for Windows is becoming less relevant everyday. They already canceled Safari for Windows.

iTunes for windows preceded the iPhone. It was for the iPod.

That doesn't invalidate your argument though. However music is big for Apple on windows and iOS, I think for that one - Music - they need to also target Android.
post #18 of 46
Quote:

This is tough for Apple. Making Beats App exclusive to iOS will move new people over but keeping it on droid will be a stream of revenue from those who can't afford iPhone.

You guys are gonna hate me but....
If Apple released a black Beats iPhone with red Beats logo on the back it would move a crapload of droid users over.
Pack in Beats earbuds and you'll see 5c numbers.
post #19 of 46
Quote:

Since when is making money not a good idea?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #20 of 46
Quote:

I don't think so.To me, it seems much better to keep making iOS devices more desirable so Android users switch.

Making Beats exclusive to Apple would fit Jobs vision of not making droid users happy and would definitely make iOS more desirable.

There's a problem though, how will droid users know that Beats is now an Apple exclusive? I can see a lot of droid users thinking "uh where'd it go?" but their mind not clicking that the app is still available on iPhone.

I GOT IT!!!!!

Apple should make Beats a default app on iOS 8! like Stocks/Maps/Safari/etc. not only would it be blatantly obvious it's iOS-only but it would also promote the heck out of the service and raise awareness to the few who don't know it exists. It should still be removable though.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

This is tough for Apple. Making Beats App exclusive to iOS will move new people over but keeping it on droid will be a stream of revenue from those who can't afford iPhone.

I suppose it depends on the numbers. Beats is a relatively new service. I wonder what the breakdown is of Android paying accounts verses iOS paid accounts. We've discussed at times that Android people don't like to pay. Does Beats, or did Beats have a web based service?

Edit looks like they do have a web player.

post #22 of 46
I am pretty sure there are neutral ideas , though.

Not in this case.

iTunes for windows preceded the iPhone. It was for the iPod.

That’s right. It was FOR the iPod. It existed so that Windows users would BUY the iPod.

There’s absolutely no benefit for Apple to having any software on Android. And at any rate, they should not legitimize the platform under any circumstance.

post #23 of 46
Maybe now that Apple owns Beats, they can fix the muddy mid- and high-frequency response and allow people to disable the overblown bass response. (A person can dream, can%u2019t he?)

Every time I ever listen to any Beat audio headphones, they sounded like %u201Cone-note fart machines%u201D as a friend put it. The Bass was blown out, causing mids and highs to be muddy. A pair of decent AKG headphones at half the price of their flagship headphones mopped the floor with them. Polk%u2019s UltraFocus 3K(?2K?) over-the-ear headphones at the same price have clean studio quality response with plenty of Bass response without sacrifice. I realize they are targeted toward bass heavy music, but at the cost of sloppy reproduction, they simply were not worth it.
post #24 of 46
Quote:

Not in this case.

That’s right. It was FOR the iPod. It existed so that Windows users would BUY the iPod.

There’s absolutely no benefit for Apple to having any software on Android. And at any rate, they should not legitimize the platform under any circumstance.

Hey! Can you think of anything else that Apple has bought recently, that is hardware, was bought at the same time as the streaming service under discussion, works with the streaming service under discussion and shares the same brand name?
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I really like the name and I don't think the origins of the Beats brand will matter in the least. The streaming service covers the whole gamut of music and the headphones may or may not change. Either way, they are selling just fine. Beats is a very Apple like name in my view. But yeah, terrible they didn't changed the name for you even though you'd never use the service 1oyvey.gif

Does it cover classical music, opera, medieval chants?

post #26 of 46
Quote:

I suppose it depends on the numbers. Beats is a relatively new service. I wonder what the breakdown is of Android paying accounts verses iOS paid accounts. We've discussed at times that Android people don't like to pay. Does Beats, or did Beats have a web based service?

Edit looks like they do have a web player.

Well like Tallest Skill said., Apple should not bless androids with their software.
The app should be exclusive and the web page for Beats should display "Get Beats for iPhone" and continue to list features but not allow them to do anything with the page. They'll get the hint 1wink.gif
Quote:

You guys are gonna hate me but....
If Apple released a black Beats iPhone with red Beats logo on the back it would move a crapload of droid users over.
Pack in Beats earbuds and you'll see 5c numbers.

here's a few cool logos for a Beats iPhone:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Apple+Logo+Beats&view=detail&id=40302BD3FF878331B34B5EC499F02A040BCF1CFE&first=44

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Apple+Logo+Beats&view=detail&id=A2C2E0BC16D80698295044EA77B400AA37A627A3&first=26

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=apple+beats+logo&view=detail&id=4DC520B8800A44187D9F9C1AED8753E3E7C84104&first=10
Edited by cali - 8/15/14 at 6:14pm
post #27 of 46
Still pisses me off that Jmmy Iovine said Apple only makes headphones to ensure the audio jack works on their hardware. A bit rich coming from someone who makes headphones that a lot of people regard as overpriced crap.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Still pisses me off that Jmmy Iovine said Apple only makes headphones to ensure the audio jack works on their hardware. A bit rich coming from someone who makes headphones that a lot of people regard as overpriced crap.

That's always bothered me too. When he said, Eddie just sat there with a goofy grin on his face. Not impressed by Iovine's arrogance. He's basically saying Apple doesn't care how good it sounds as it works, but we all know that is BS. 

post #29 of 46
Quote:

I hate blacks!!!!!! I hate em hate em hate me!!!!!

I hate rap!!! I hate it hate it hat it!!!!!!

oh and;

youtube.com/watch?v=c36YhS9pzkM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow! What a simple mind!  This post saddens me a little.  I think perhaps I just thought people with such a limited intellect only existed in bad television shows.  I'm not raps biggest fan, but it's all a matter of tastes; I do find that, with passing years, I'm less categorical with which types of music I like or don't like.  People, however, are individuals, each with their own merits and faults.  I feel sorry for someone so limited in cognitive ability that he is blinded by skin color and cannot see a person for who they are, or what they do.  Perhaps this is some sort of joke, done in extremely poor taste... a class clown that is popular precisely because of their stupidity, but finds that it doesn't serve them so well when they have to move out of their parent's house and support a family.  Hopefully, you can sort out your life before you come to the realization that it isn't worth living, and a tragic end can be avoided.  Good luck to you!

Edited by Brent McAnulty - 8/15/14 at 8:03pm
post #30 of 46
From the Beats music website (http://www.beatsmusic.com):

"Available on iOS, Android, Windows and Web"

It's available on Android and Windows but not on the Mac?

Also, not available here in Australia so I guess I'm sticking with Deezer for the foreseeable future.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McAnulty View Post

Wow! What a simple mind!  This post saddens me a little.....

I'm just mad because stupid BEATS!!!!!!111ichi

dr Dre crap music!!!!!!!

apple stupid!!!!!!!!!!

google better by buying REAL company's like Motorola and SONGZA!!!!!!!!

Apple is dooooomed!!!

Tim cook!!!

/SARCASM
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagaz View Post

From the Beats music website (http://www.beatsmusic.com):

"Available on iOS, Android, Windows and Web"

It's available on Android and Windows but not on the Mac?

Yes it is available on Mac.

Web = web browser and Macs run web browsers.

post #33 of 46
Quote:

Well like Tallest Skill said., Apple should not bless androids with their software.
The app should be exclusive and the web page for Beats should display "Get Beats for iPhone" and continue to list features but not allow them to do anything with the page. They'll get the hint 1wink.gif
here's a few cool logos for a Beats iPhone:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Apple+Logo+Beats&view=detail&id=40302BD3FF878331B34B5EC499F02A040BCF1CFE&first=44

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Apple+Logo+Beats&view=detail&id=A2C2E0BC16D80698295044EA77B400AA37A627A3&first=26

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=apple+beats+logo&view=detail&id=4DC520B8800A44187D9F9C1AED8753E3E7C84104&first=10

You're an OK dude I'm sure... but absolutely not one with good taste in logos! I have to go wash my eyes out now... Thanks! 1oyvey.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #34 of 46
Quote:

I'm just mad because stupid BEATS!!!!!!111ichi

dr Dre crap music!!!!!!!

apple stupid!!!!!!!!!!

google better by buying REAL company's like Motorola and SONGZA!!!!!!!!

Apple is dooooomed!!!

Tim cook!!!

/SARCASM

You absolutely and always must use the sarcasm tag though in the future. We've had a number of _______(@&$@&$@$@)???!) over the last few weeks that have posted seriously not much different than what you did as sarcastic exaspiration.
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You absolutely and always must use the sarcasm tag though in the future. We've had a number of _______(@&$@&$@$@)???!) over the last few weeks that have posted seriously not much different than what you did as sarcastic exaspiration.

yeah I see that. I was mocking those same people. It's sad really. It should be obvious when someone's being sarcastic but you have morons that will outdo you, except they're being serious. I'll try to include the stinkin' sarcasm tag although I'm reluctant to do so cause I feel it kills the joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You're an OK dude I'm sure... but absolutely not one with good taste in logos! I have to go wash my eyes out now... Thanks! 1oyvey.gif

ah, they're not that bad. I just think if Apple
made a Beats phone they'd have to throw the signature "b" in there but won't sacrifice the Apple logo either.
Edited by cali - 8/16/14 at 12:35am
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Exactly. Not to mention that crap continues to be crap, even when it's bought by Apple.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #37 of 46
Quote:

…And at any rate, they should not legitimize the platform under any circumstance.

Sorry TS. That train left the station a while ago. Time for us to move along.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #38 of 46
Quote:

The deal wasn't finalized until last week so I don't think they could list the Beats app as truly made by Apple until now.

BTW I noticed yesterday in the Spike Lee documentary that the logo has been changed to a play button. When did that happen?

Edit: Looks like the Beats Music logo has the play button and Beats Audio has the round version.

Now that Beats hardware are to be made by Apple with direction and talent input from Beats I think Apple should remove "Beats By Dr. Dre" references from product and their website.

BTW that 'round version' you are talking about is concurrently the letter "b" for Beats and a is meant to visually represent a single over-ear (and perhaps an in-ear) headphone.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #39 of 46
Quote:

Getting some Apple apps on android is not a bad idea. Trick is to always have them better on iOS.

Apple needs to release iMessage on android so Apple users can use iMessage and its super emoji set exclusively for messaging everyone.

post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Quote:

…And at any rate, they should not legitimize the platform under any circumstance.
Sorry TS. That train left the station a while ago. Time for us to move along.

That train is crossing a bridge which is soon to find its foundations crumbling.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Beats Music app added to 'Made by Apple' list in iOS App Store