or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
A highly questionable report out of the Far East on Friday includes photos of what are claimed to be parts from Apple's rumored 5.5-inch "iPhone 6," including a display and logic board curiously similar to "leaked" components associated with a rumored 4.7-inch model.




Citing the usual "reliable sources," Taiwanese Apple blog Apple Daily says the images show three components bound for Apple's rumored 5.5-inch iPhone, which some predict will launch alongside -- or shortly after -- a new 4.7-inch version of the smartphone. The publication's sources refer to the phablet as the "iPhone 6L."

However, even a cursory inspection of the photos reveals two parts, the display and logic board, are nearly identical to those pictured in previous reports related to the smaller of Apple's next-gen handsets.



With the display, architectural elements like screw bosses, circuit board anchors and circuitry are placed in the exact locations as a part revealed last week. In addition, flex cables are of the same size, located in the same position and feature proportionally sized connectors as the supposed 4.7-inch variant.

It is highly unlikely that a 4.7-inch iPhone would share the same layout with a sized-up 5.5-inch model, while at the same time sporting different sized connectors.

As for the logic board, this part too lines up perfectly with a component unearthed yesterday, complete with identical EMI shields, fastener holes and connector design.




The report does, however, contain one never-before-seen part in a 2,915 mAh battery, which could feasibly be bound for Apple's jumbo-sized handset. Produced by known Apple partner supplier Huizhou Desay, the battery'a capacity is much larger than the 1,800 mAh unit seen in a supposed leak associated with the 4.7-inch variant. By comparison, the current iPhone 5s uses a 1,500 mAh battery, while Motorola's 4.7-inch Moto X boasts a 2,200 mAh part.

Although the battery is a possible fit for Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone, not much is known about the phablet device. Most recently, photos of alleged wake/sleep flex cables and volume controls hit the Web in July.
post #2 of 44

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5


Edited by mstone - 8/15/14 at 7:55pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #3 of 44

I would LOVE to see someone get their hands on both the fake 4.7 and 5.5 and do a teardown and compare parts.. I would bet good money this is from one of the FAKE iPhone 6's selling for around $200 in China..

 

This screen in no way matches what we saw on the scratch tests .. the bezel is to thick and the placement of the speaker, proximity sensor and camera are wrong..

 

But they are identical to the fake ANDROID iOS Skinned iPhone 6 thats been selling!

post #4 of 44
"Wall huggers? My ass."
- Phil Schiller, September 9 2014

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #5 of 44
That's a 5.5" phone? They must have hired Yao Ming to be the hand model.
post #6 of 44

Umm.. if you zoom in on the second to last part before the battery, it says Toshiba on the chip.. umm.. huh?

 

I'm thinking this isn't a leak, it's a scam.. and someone was just played.. LOL

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


 


 

Holy crap….does she need a manicure or what!?

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #8 of 44

Was it Tim Cook or Steve Jobs (or some other Apple officer) who said Apple was doubling down on secrecy?

post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post
 

Umm.. if you zoom in on the second to last part before the battery, it says Toshiba on the chip.. umm.. huh?

 

I'm thinking this isn't a leak, it's a scam.. and someone was just played.. LOL

 

Apple is using Toshiba NAND flash memory chips in current iPhones...
post #10 of 44
iPhone Air? I would actually get one if it had 12 hrs of battery life (or 10 in fact).
post #11 of 44
2,915 mAh battery in iOS...!!! Wow! Awesome!! 1smile.gif
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Was it Tim Cook or Steve Jobs (or some other Apple officer) who said Apple was doubling down on secrecy?

Tim Cook.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejsric View Post

2,915 mAh battery in iOS...!!! Wow! Awesome!! 1smile.gif

You'll be able to write an even longer post on AI before your battery goes flat.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #14 of 44

Like how AI purposely didn't post the so-called comparison photo where this is shown next to a so-called 4.7" model...the photo that illustrates clearly that if one is 4.7 the other is not 5.5.....barely 5.0.

 

More fake crap.

post #15 of 44
"Sketchy report"

because all others were legitimate.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5
Just curious, what did you use as a size reference? I would have thought perhaps the home button.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Was it Tim Cook or Steve Jobs (or some other Apple officer) who said Apple was doubling down on secrecy?

Your point?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your point?

 

His or her point is obviously that these leaks are a big joke and if there's been any doubling down of security, it sure hasn't stopped any of these ridiculous leaks from coming out, if they are indeed legitimate Apple parts.

 

Take a look at that photo, that is a remarkable piece of evidence right there which should be used to track down the owner of that hand and their unkept fingernails. 

 

The leakers should be severely punished, so that it would give pause to any other potential leakers in the future. 

 

I just hope that when I'm sitting and watching the next Apple keynote, which will be happening pretty soon obviously, I will be blown away and surprised by something completely new that nobody expected.

post #19 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You'll be able to write an even longer post on AI before your battery goes flat.

Nah, they'll still post faux concern posts about how allegedly short their battery life is.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #20 of 44
Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post


Yep, Toshiba is a long time Apple supplier.
post #22 of 44
We've seen some displays that have more narrow bezels and curved edges and some that look like the 5s screen only biggerr. Is it possible that Apple's entry level c-style phone or a new iPod touch will get a bigger screen and maybe that's what some of these leaks are?
post #23 of 44
What are y'all's thoughts on the tmz leaked photos? seem real?
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your point?

 

His or her point is obviously that these leaks are a big joke and if there's been any doubling down of security, it sure hasn't stopped any of these ridiculous leaks from coming out, if they are indeed legitimate Apple parts.

 

Take a look at that photo, that is a remarkable piece of evidence right there which should be used to track down the owner of that hand and their unkept fingernails. 

 

The leakers should be severely punished, so that it would give pause to any other potential leakers in the future. 

 

I just hope that when I'm sitting and watching the next Apple keynote, which will be happening pretty soon obviously, I will be blown away and surprised by something completely new that nobody expected.

Nobody said they were going to 'double down' on unsubstantiated rumors

derived from no official Apple source…strictly speaking, those aren't "leaks".

Apple can't be held responsible for pranks or irresponsibility.

Let's 'double down' on those Bigfoot rumors while we're at it.

post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx59 View Post

Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?

The issue isn't if it "matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx59 View Post

Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?

make no mistake, the issue isn't if it 'matters'. The issue is one thing and one thing only. Will something potentially generate page hits. If the answer is yes then it will be posted. Because that is what these sites are about. Getting page hits and tons of them and the ad revenue that comes with. Not telling news. Sites like this, like Macrumors etc, are the web version of Joe Fox Sr, it's all about the money.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #26 of 44
So obvious the 5.5 is real
No way a battery that size would be uesd on the 4.7
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #27 of 44

BTW I think something was lost in translation. As I understand, only the battery was claimed to the a 5.5" part. As noted in the article, the rest of the parts are obviously for the 4.7" model.

post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5

 

How?

post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx59 View Post

Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?

 

For the clicks.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #30 of 44
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post
Look, its the phone tallest skill can't fit in his little girl hands.

 

Maybe in the future–instead of personal attacks–you could read the article and look at the images? The device is quite obviously 1. a 4.7” device, 2. not a 5.5” device, 3. no one can use a 5.5” phone one-handed and 4. maybe that ban shouldn’t have been lifted.

 

Originally Posted by jinx59 View Post
Does all this speculation matter so close to the Sept 9 announcement?

 

Yes. Morning-of speculation even matters. On the night before the announcement of the iPad, we saw pictures of one of the software testing models (in its “cover up the entire case” crate) showing Maps and the UI. On the morning of the announcement, we got high-resolution images of a back panel, viewed from all sides.

 

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post
What are y'all's thoughts on the tmz leaked photos? seem real?

 

Obvious fake. Proof.

 

Though I obviously don’t visit their site, Gizmodo has the best title regarding the topic: “TMZ thinks this is an iPhone 6; bless its heart.” :lol:

 

Every actual tech news outlet is mocking them from here to Sunday. It’s pretty great. ‘Course no one over there will be fired because of it; its reader base is too stupid to know otherwise anyway.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/16/14 at 1:30pm
post #31 of 44
The Far East.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

The Far East.

 is a long way from...

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5
Just curious, what did you use as a size reference? I would have thought perhaps the home button.

Yeah, home button. It is just an approximation because also I made some other assumptions. After using Photoshop to skew the image to squared up perspective, I checked the corner radius and the bezel widths of the current iPhone. I scaled the image of the phone to match all those measurements and the screen measured 4.7 almost exactly.

 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5
Just curious, what did you use as a size reference? I would have thought perhaps the home button.

Yeah, home button. It is just an approximation because also I made some other assumptions. After using Photoshop to skew the image to squared up perspective, I checked the corner radius and the bezel widths of the current iPhone. I scaled the image of the phone to match all those measurements and the screen measured 4.7 almost exactly.

 

 

Looks more like 4.67".

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #35 of 44
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Yeah, home button. It is just an approximation because also I made some other assumptions. After using Photoshop to skew the image to squared up perspective, I checked the corner radius and the bezel widths of the current iPhone. I scaled the image of the phone to match all those measurements and the screen measured 4.7 almost exactly.

 

From this, we could also determine the size of the hand if the screen actually is 5.5”, at which point we’d realize that it would have to be too large for that to be believable.

post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 
Looks more like 4.67".

Wow! I know it was just a quick approximation, but I didn't realize I was so far off. 

 

better put a /s in case someone takes that literally.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did some quick measurements in Illustrator with Photoshop. Now it looks like a 4.7 not 5,5
It is 4.7". This's FOS
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
post #38 of 44
Sketchy or not, I must say the rumour of a 2,915 mAh battery is making me want such. There's a limit to how much work can be done on the current handset, and the limit is set by the capacity of the battery.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Sketchy or not, I must say the rumour of a 2,915 mAh battery is making me want such. There's a limit to how much work can be done on the current handset, and the limit is set by the capacity of the battery.

But that's only based when you know the power usage of the handset. For example, the current iphone 5S has a 1560 mAh battery, so if we were to increase it to 2915 mAh that's an 87% more usage time gain with all other things being equal.

Hopefully all the new iPhones will have longer usage times but if they are getting larger screens and if they are getting higher resolution and potentially higher PPI displays, along with a faster processor with more RAM, 802.11ac, and any other new component that needs more power we could potentially no real gain in usage time (except for talk time). It's possible one of more metrics could even be reduced but I doubt that would happen as Apple has been very careful to not go backwards.

Now I believe there will be an increase simply in usage time because of the increased area of the of a larger display should allow the battery use more internal volume even as the chassis gets thinner and if the logic board uses a little more space. The lager backlight needs more power but so far we haven't seen a 1:1 ratio in the additional power needed which is why larger smartphones have been able to start to catch up to Apple's usage times.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


But that's only based when you know the power usage of the handset. For example, the current iphone 5S has a 1560 mAh battery, so if we were to increase it to 2915 mAh that's an 87% more usage time gain with all other things being equal... etc…

All points true.. many things to take into account. I look at it like this:

The iPad is designed for getting through a day of work.

The iPhone was designed for getting through a day of phone.

But as I (and others, I assume) use our phones more and more for work, the battery life doesn't keep up. And then 4G came and we were back to square one in battery life, etc.

I think, if there is a big iPhone to be announced, it'll be designed for a day of work, just like the iPads.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sketchy report claims photos show 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6L' display, logic board and 2,915mAh battery