or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial'

Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial' - Page 2

post #41 of 86

This commercial still brings tears to my eyes.  The music is perfect.  I can relate to the misunderstood kid.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That was the last great ad from Apple. There were quite a few mediocre ones prior to that, as I recall.

The current crop of moody, sulky, preachy-sounding, self-satisfied ads -- with their utterly mediocre music ("Gigantic" is Exhibit A) -- needs to be jettisoned.

"…last great ad…"?

Did you mean, "latest"?

(i.e., not "final", but "most recent"?)

I meant exactly what I wrote.
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Haha. Well I thought it would've have been instantly recognizable.
Microsoft just recently put out a commercial for xbox one with an excerpt from Rocky Balboa's speech to his son in the last Rocky movie. 

Aaaaah, okay.  Yeah, I never saw the ROCKY movies.  And I don't really watch much TV, either, so I missed the MS adverts.  Guess I'm out of touch. Too busy having a life and visiting mom.  ;)

post #44 of 86
Quote:

The current crop of moody, sulky, preachy-sounding, self-satisfied ads -- with their utterly mediocre music ("Gigantic" is Exhibit A) -- needs to be jettisoned.

I just went to Apple and watched the Gigantic ad again. I like it much better than this Christmas ad mainly because it shows people using the devices and having fun. The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

If that ad represents a dark emotional drama to you, then you've lived a very sheltered life.
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What are you basing that on? The rumors we heard about Apple creating their own in-house agency came a long time after this ad had been produced.

Apple pressure on the ad agency  was happenning WAAAYYYY before it got leaked out

post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So where are all the clowns that say Apple ads suck?

They're busy fapping to loops of Samsung ads.

post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I must be the only one who didn't like this....

I'm sure others didn't like it. It's just that no one cares.

post #49 of 86

The advertising industry has more self congratulatory awards and contests than any other, by far outpacing every alternative group with the exception of Hollywood --that other collective of massively insecure creatives who need constant reassurance that their creativity is valued by somebody somewhere.

post #50 of 86
Quote:

Yup. It sucks. Samsung "Wall Huggers" should've won...lol.

post #51 of 86

Don't we all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

The advertising industry has more self congratulatory awards and contests than any other, by far outpacing every alternative group with the exception of Hollywood --that other collective of massively insecure creatives who need constant reassurance that their creativity is valued by somebody somewhere.

Don't we all?

post #52 of 86
Quote:

Looks like what worked?

Competition. As I understand the arrangement they didn't get dropped, just they now compete for projects with the in-house group.

post #53 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Yup. It sucks. Samsung "Wall Huggers" should've won...lol.

An ad that alienates potential customers by deriding them?

Not really. Unless it's secretly an HTC ad and they're scapegoating Sam.

And I doubt that as Sam has a long history going after Apple's customers that way: they're either old or stupid or mindless "wall huggers", so it's all in a fine tradition....

post #54 of 86
Quote:

It was ok but it was contrived to make you think the teen was socially disengaged. They didn't show him actually using the camera or editing the clips so a person not familiar with how iMovie or Airplay actually works wouldn't get it. I prefer the ads that demonstrate the features more clearly. 

hello? that was the whole point of the ad -- to make you think he was being a brat, but then being surprised with what a wonderful sentimental gift he gave to whole family. and it's true -- ive done the exact same thing while visiting my family. the tools are easy and they work.

showing him working in the apps would be absurd. it was not a youtube tutorial. 

post #55 of 86
Quote:

Taking photos and short amateur videos with a smartphone is pretty routine. Putting together a professional looking multi-clip edited video is a different situation altogether. My complaint with the ad is that instead of showing the exciting features of the iPhone they create a dark emotional drama about a troubled teen, then surprise you at the end. The complete video capturing and editing process is hidden to build the wayward son drama. I much prefer the Apple ads that show people having fun using the devices.

apple does those, too. im failing to understand why NO ad can be one on the net effect of using the tools rather than showing the tools. especially since they, you know, won an emmy for it.

post #56 of 86
Quote:

The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

It just amazes me how people can misunderstand a title called "Misunderstood". Really.

post #57 of 86
Quote:

In a Stephen King novel.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #58 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

It was ok but it was contrived to make you think the teen was socially disengaged. They didn't show him actually using the camera or editing the clips so a person not familiar with how iMovie or Airplay actually works wouldn't get it. I prefer the ads that demonstrate the features more clearly. 

hello? that was the whole point of the ad -- to make you think he was being a brat, but then being surprised with what a wonderful sentimental gift he gave to whole family. and it's true -- ive done the exact same thing while visiting my family. the tools are easy and they work.

showing him working in the apps would be absurd. it was not a youtube tutorial. 

I'm guessing this guy isn't from the US. It seems the premise of this film just shot right by him.

Everybody is entitled to their own taste, but this guy just didn't even get it (what's referred to as "the hook" or "the bit" of the ad). (As I say; maybe a cultural thing?)

post #59 of 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Quote:

Pretty much :P

All acting is contrived; that's kind of the point.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I only disliked the errors in continuity regarding the ratio of the recorded video compared to how the kid was seen holding it.

But I’m a stickler. :p 

Is anyone else finding that emojis are displaying as a question mark?

With X X.X, Apple should solve the Continuity problem.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #61 of 86
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. 

It was titled Misunderstood, so they couldn't really show how the iPhone video editing would have actually taken place. In the real world, the teen would have been interacting with the family to get the shots for the video. Your points are all well noted, but in this case the director of this ad wanted us to believe he was reclusive in order to have the big surprise ending. In reality, the teen would have had elevated social status in the family because everyone would have known he was making a movie of them.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #62 of 86
Quote:

Quote:

Looks like what worked?

Apple told TBWA to get their sheet together.

And TBWA made a great commercial.

'Sheet together' Bed sheet? Aluminium sheet? Am I understanding you correctly?

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #63 of 86
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

Why don't Apple just buy TBWA.

By the way, that WAS a great AD.

This is my first time seeing it, and it did resonate about what the holidays are about...

Family.

I thought the holdiays were about celebrating pagan rituals, getting drunk, buying gifts on credit, getting into massive debt, feeling pressured to keep up with the jones, and telling your kids lies that some fat guy worked hard to give you gifts instead of your parents?

Guess i was wrong.  Makes me wonder why we can't be a 'family' the other 11 months of the year?

Cowley, SolipsismX and mstone would love to join you for a pagan ritual twelve months of the year.

Some do consider AI to be a family twelve months a year, though there's no obligation.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #64 of 86
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Oh, my!  Out of touch is too gentle a description.  Who made all those ALS ice bucket videos that have flooded my FB newsfeed if my friends and theirs ad infinitum don;t understand that you can take and edit movies with a smartphone?  Did they all go out and hire professional videographers?  Sheesh!

With you, it's 'my way or the highway.' There's room for more than one style of ad. Having a big set-piece at Christmas, as you hate to call it, is apt.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #65 of 86
Quote:

Quote:

I just went to Apple and watched the Gigantic ad again. I like it much better than this Christmas ad mainly because it shows people using the devices and having fun. The Christmas ad is moody and sulky.

Steady on; it's a 'Holiday' ad in your books of wisdom.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Quote:

If that ad represents a dark emotional drama to you, then you've lived a very sheltered life.

That would stand to reason; he's been sheltering under his Panama hat.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Don't we all?

No.

Quote:

Don't we all?

No.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #68 of 86

Octuple posting with nested quotes? Feels like my eyes are going to break.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Octuple posting with nested quotes? Feels like my eyes are going to break.

Haha! Your hyperbole just made my chest shake with laughter! I mean that in a good way.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #70 of 86

A really great critique of the commercial from last year:

http://kensegall.com/2013/12/apple-thinks-different-for-christmas/

post #71 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

A really great critique of the commercial from last year:
http://kensegall.com/2013/12/apple-thinks-different-for-christmas/

Good article.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Well I don't know if you are serious or not but I didn't like it either. People are all warm and fuzzy about the ending but I think that misses the point. This kid was still buried in his iPhone the entire time watching the family from the outside.

Sure, he was putting together the video but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't really interacting with them. I think it is a great example how people sometimes think they are using technology for a great end purpose but they are missing out on life along the way.

Wow. Way to shit on introverts. "OMG you're missing out." No, introverts just express themselves differently, but some people can't handle different and want to stomp it out and force them to conform to their standard of conduct.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #73 of 86
Quote:

Tell that to the folks to the Winners (and losers) of the 4th Annual iPhone Film Festival.

Taking great photos and video with a smartphone like with any camera takes talent. And so does editing.

Why anyone would complain about this ad, and in particularly labelling this teen as 'troubled' and wayward is beyond reason.  If anything, the kid is doing what most kids do, and as most adults have done in their younger years.

As it turns out, this ad shows ends up showing people having more fun as a result of one person with the 'device.'

post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Competition. As I understand the arrangement they didn't get dropped, just they now compete for projects with the in-house group.
But we don't know when this in house group was formed or even if it is fully formed yet. I think it's a stretch to conclude Phil Schiller allegedly kicking some ass created this holiday ad. Let's not forget Apple signed off on those genius ads that were so bad they ended up removing them from their YouTube channel and from apple.com.

Here's Ken Segall's thoughts on Apple's advertising:

http://kensegall.com/2014/04/apples-little-advertising-crisis/

http://kensegall.com/2014/06/apples-marketing-rethink-not-exactly-a-surprise/
post #75 of 86
Quote:

No, I thought it was sentimental BS and I'm a chick. (Relic scratches her junk and then spits on the ground, what!)

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #76 of 86

Nothing wrong with a bit of sentimental BS to lighten the day.

I liked the ad, but I only ever saw it the once, I imagine on repeat viewings it might get a big annoying.

censored

censored

post #77 of 86
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Don't we all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
No

I contend we do. Our spouses do. Our kids do. Every time I address an issue for my clients, my colleagues, my students or my friends, as well as strangers on the street, I relish their appreciation. Sometimes it's just a thank you. Other times its monetary. Or both. In either case, it gives me incentive and reassurance to continue.

post #78 of 86

I imagine it's the constant part of the reassurance that's in question.  Many people thrive on encouragement at the right times, they don't need it at all (or nearly all, there's obviously some hyperbole at play here) times.

censored

censored

post #79 of 86
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure how Gigantic is "moody, sulky, preachy-sounding or self-satisfied" anyway, I found it bright, lively, interesting, and enjoyed the music.  I always perked up when I heard that bass line.

censored

censored

post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

'Sheet together' Bed sheet? Aluminium sheet? Am I understanding you correctly?

A white Sheet.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's holiday-themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone ad wins Emmy for 'Most Outstanding Commercial'