or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RBC sees Apple selling upwards of 75M 'iPhone 6' units before end of 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RBC sees Apple selling upwards of 75M 'iPhone 6' units before end of 2014 - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Hmmm.... lovergrl, meet bf....

 

(Sorry, couldn't resist! ;))

 

Well played.  

 

Unfortunately, I'm dating someone in upper management at Apple as well. :D

post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Hmmm.... lovergrl, meet bf....

 

(Sorry, couldn't resist! ;))

 

Well played.  

 

Unfortunately, I'm dating someone in upper management at Apple as well. :D

Long distance relationship, eh? Sucks.

post #43 of 63
Ehrmmm... why would this analyst only have a 110 dollar target price, if he expects iPhone sales to grow 37% YoY ?!
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybleiss View Post

Ehrmmm... why would this analyst only have a 110 dollar target price, if he expects iPhone sales to grow 37% YoY ?!

 

because they will raise their target to 120 once we hit 109.

 

These analysis are IDIOTS.

 

These are the same clowns that had 75 price targets less than a year ago.

post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

.....brother’s cousin’s uncle’s niece's......

Or you could just say 'sister' 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


You're kidding, right? So guesses out weigh facts and actual data?

 

Lol no, I'm not kidding at all... it is actually how the stock market works =p

 

If you were to base it on facts and actual data, by definition you could only evaluate the past and the current moment.  People don't invest for the current or the past.  They invest with the hopes that in the future they will receive a good return on their investment.  They are speculating that the company of their (or their financial advisor's) choice will do well.

 

Analysts may not be great at predicting the actual future, but they are very good (or know people that are very good) at math.

 

So if they predict a company will sell 75 million n's at y margin, they can do a NPV calculation, move it forward, and tell you their target based on that assumption is, say $110.

 

If the company were to *actually* sell 72 million n's at y margin, their prediction was wrong and the company should be worth somewhat less than $110.  Even if selling 72 million is stellar and an earth shaking record, hopefully even you agree that that is less than selling 75 million of the things would be.   If they were wrong and the company actually sells 100 million units, would you agree that its price should go up if its valuation were based on it selling only 75 million?


Edited by Frood - 8/19/14 at 5:06am
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

For those of you just tuning in to AI for the first time and don’t know he’s joking, remember that in 2011, the whole world knew Apple was releasing the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 simultaneously.

What I remember from 2012 (oops) is that somebody on here (you, perhaps?) was quite insistent that there was no way - NO WAY! - that the new iPhone would be called the iPhone 5.

 

Thompson

post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Now Daryanani says it's possible that Apple could sell 10 million "iPhone 6" units on the device's launch weekend...

 

Times are a changing. The original iPhone sold 10 million units in its first YEAR.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by applelovergrl View Post
 

So I am dating someone very important who works for Apple. I have always known apple product release dates before they come out. The iphone 6 will be released September 11th NOT on the 9th!

 

That would seem unlikely to me, in view of 2001.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


You're kidding, right? So guesses out weigh facts and actual data?

 

Lol no, I'm not kidding at all... it is actually how the stock market works =p

 

If you were to base it on facts and actual data, by definition you could only evaluate the past and the current moment.  People don't invest for the current or the past.  They invest with the hopes that in the future they will receive a good return on their investment.  They are speculating that the company of their (or their financial advisor's choice) will do well.

 

Analysts may not be great at predicting the actual future, but they are very good (or know people that are very good) at math.

 

So if they predict a company will sell 75 million n's at y margin, they can do a NPV calculation, move it forward, and tell you their target based on that assumption is, say $110.

 

If the company were to *actually* sell 72 million n's at y margin, their prediction was wrong and the company should be worth somewhat less than $110.  Even if selling 72 million is stellar and an earth shaking record, hopefully even you agree that that is less than selling 75 million of the things would be.   If they were wrong and the company actually sells 100 million units, would you agree that its price should go up if its valuation were based on it selling only 75 million?

 

Remind me not to call you up when I need a logical problem solving.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #51 of 63
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That would seem unlikely to me, in view of 2001.


Been 13 years. It doesn’t matter.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That would seem unlikely to me, in view of 2001.


Been 13 years. It doesn’t matter.

 

I think you might underestimate the media's capacity for creating bad news.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

...
So if they predict a company will sell 75 million n's at y margin, they can do a NPV calculation, move it forward, and tell you their target based on that assumption is, say $110.

If the company were to *actually* sell 72 million n's at y margin, their prediction was wrong and the company should be worth somewhat less than $110.  Even if selling 72 million is stellar and an earth shaking record, hopefully even you agree that that is less than selling 75 million of the things would be.   If they were wrong and the company actually sells 100 million units, would you agree that its price should go up if its valuation were based on it selling only 75 million?

And where did they get the 75 MM from?
post #54 of 63
The 5.5" device will be released simultaneously as two different, nearly identical devices.

The "iPhone 6L" variation will have a metal housing and be available in the 5S color options available today.

The "iPad Micro" variation will have a plastic housing available in the 5S color schemes.

Inexplicably, the iPad Micro variation will cost $50 more.

You heard it here first. 1smile.gif
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Deal with one stipulation:

I win if the screen is bigger than 5 inches.  It could be 5.4, 5.3, ect.

I'm 100% certain you gonna lose this bet (I mean an iPhone the size of an S3 ain't gonna happen)
Sorry
Edited by iMember - 8/18/14 at 8:44pm

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

 

Remind me not to call you up when I need a logical problem solving.

 

Ok.  But just for reference it is not problem solving.  It is basic math.

post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


And where did they get the 75 MM from?

 

It is either based on extensive market surveys and research, or they just pull it out of their butts.  Either way it gets 'corrected' in the future by *actual* sales figures.

 

If they estimated only 20 million would sell, they would probably value Apple more around $60. 

If they estimated 75 million would sell, they Apple around $110.

 

Investors and institutions may or may not buy what the analysts are projecting, and the only thing that truly drives share price are whether people are buying or selling it.

 

Now fast forward to the future.  The future is now the present and we now have the 'facts' instead of speculation.  Apple posts record sales of 72 million units.

 

Based on that Apples actual value might be around $105.  

 

So in the first case, the analysts were wrong.  Investors are ecstatic.  Their shares soar from $60 to $105.

In the second case, the analysts were wrong.  Investors are miffed.  Despite posting 'record sales' their shares drop from $110 to $105.

 

In any of the cases, Apple fans are complaining :p

In the first, analysts are *clearly* idiots for not valuing Apple at over a trillion dollars and Apple proved them wrong yet again!

In the second case, analysts are *clearly* idiots for driving expectations higher than Apple could meet, so it is their fault the stock dropped and is clearly market manipulation.

post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post
 

 

It is either based on extensive market surveys and research, or they just pull it out of their butts.  Either way it gets 'corrected' in the future by *actual* sales figures.

 

If they estimated only 20 million would sell, they would probably value Apple more around $60. 

If they estimated 75 million would sell, they Apple around $110.

 

Investors and institutions may or may not buy what the analysts are projecting, and the only thing that truly drives share price are whether people are buying or selling it.

 

Now fast forward to the future.  The future is now the present and we now have the 'facts' instead of speculation.  Apple posts record sales of 72 million units.

 

Based on that Apples actual value might be around $105.  

 

So in the first case, the analysts were wrong.  Investors are ecstatic.  Their shares soar from $60 to $105.

In the second case, the analysts were wrong.  Investors are miffed.  Despite posting 'record sales' their shares drop from $110 to $105.

 

In any of the cases, Apple fans are complaining :p

In the first, analysts are *clearly* idiots for not valuing Apple at over a trillion dollars and Apple proved them wrong yet again!

In the second case, analysts are *clearly* idiots for driving expectations higher than Apple could meet, so it is their fault the stock dropped and is clearly market manipulation.

 

But the real SMART investors realize that iPhone sales are not even the most important factor to value Apple shares.

 

Of course most analysis don't know what is or try to hide it.

post #59 of 63
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybleiss View Post

Ehrmmm... why would this analyst only have a 110 dollar target price, if he expects iPhone sales to grow 37% YoY ?!
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

because they will raise their target to 120 once we hit 109.

 

These analysis are IDIOTS.

 

These are the same clowns that had 75 price targets less than a year ago.

 

hmmm....  so $75 * 137% = @ $103.

 

Ah.  Future expectations are already built into the price.

post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post
 

People don't invest for the current or the past.  They invest with the hopes that in the future they will receive a good return on their investment.  They are speculating that the company of their (or their financial advisor's) choice will do well.

People are speculating that the shares of the company of their choice will do well. An often overlooked difference...

post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It is either based on extensive market surveys and research, or they just pull it out of their butts.  Either way it gets 'corrected' in the future by *actual* sales figures.


Apple has never sold more than 60 MM iPhones in a qtr, let alone 75 MM. So his ass numbers is a pump and dump scheme.
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post
 

What about a bet that you won't post a message in AI if 5.5" version is not coming in the next 3 months? Other way around, I won't post any. Deal?

 

Time to pay up holmes.

 

You can either start you SELF-BAN now or wait till Sept 9th

 

The 5.5 is coming

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181918/first-photos-of-purported-5-5-inch-iphone-6-rear-shell-compare-part-to-4-7-inch-model

post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Time to pay up holmes.

 

You can either start you SELF-BAN now or wait till Sept 9th

 

The 5.5 is coming

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181918/first-photos-of-purported-5-5-inch-iphone-6-rear-shell-compare-part-to-4-7-inch-model

you're fcking funny. You tell me to self ban based on some rumor shits from China? Come back and talk about this on Sep 9 IF 5.5" even comes out by Nov 18th (3 months from your post date on Aug 18).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • RBC sees Apple selling upwards of 75M 'iPhone 6' units before end of 2014
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RBC sees Apple selling upwards of 75M 'iPhone 6' units before end of 2014