or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6

Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Smile. I almost forgot. That's already some time ago.

I remember to have it installed. But I cannot recall if there was a dedicated call from apple to send big reports then.

I remember I had BeOS installed around the same time. Seems like yesterday to me 1frown.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #42 of 81
So there is a new feature of iMessage in Yosemite that appeared during an earlier beta release. It's a feature that should have been there from the start or have been reworked on the iOS side once iMessage for Mac was created. That feature is the splitting of hyperlinks and their labels into separate text in the iMessage text field. Previously this would show up as the formatted hyperlink which would be stored on the iMessage server fine and received by other Macs properly, but iOS-based devices would show it simply as plaintext. At first I thought it was just JS from a website I was pasting but it's definietly a new Messages for Mac app feature.

It's hard to explain so here are some example from this…

Copy and pasting into iMessage in Yosemite used to yeild this..
Quote:
Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments

But would silently get received by iOS-based devices as this…
Quote:
Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments

Now it gets pasted as this…
Quote:
Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6 ﹤http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/18/apple-releases-os-x-yosemite-developer-preview-6-xcode-6-beta-6 ﹥ - Apple on Monday issued its sixth beta releases of OS X Yosemite and Xcode 6 to developers for testing ahead of their scheduled launches this fall, though no new beta of iOS 8 was released. 37 comments ﹤http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/181865/

I'd like for iOS to read a hyperlink label properly but this is a much better than what we've had so far so I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

"Wasting people's time"? Apple didn't release a public beta for your benefit, but for theirs. Its not a waste of time if the feedback has an effect on the final product. You're not entitled to see your feedback being addressed before then. 

His point is valid. It's a symbiotic relationship. If you only got that one buggy beta for the next couple months before the final release with no Continuity, Handoff, or other features working then next year you would probably get a lot less people participating in public betas.

My guess is they will have multiple updates for the public betas because anything else seems ridiculous. Perhaps after this developer beta passes the test they'll push it to the public beta testers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 81
Quote:

The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

Aw, they're pretty good looking in use. These are the first set of icons where gradients all flow the same way, which is a step up from the mess that is Weather, App Store, Videos, and Mail icon gradient craziness on iOS.

post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm still ambiguous about "the more the better". If even as observed in this forum there are some people who obviously demonstrate a deeper interest in what's going in behind the "curtains" of

If this is what Apple is going to do, then there was no sense in doing the public beta program to begin with. I've submitted lots of feedback and how am I ever going to see if it gets fixed before the GM is released. Basically by not releasing public betas continuously, they're wasting people's time. 

IMO, they should have been releasing updates to the public beta all along. The more people that can test this the better as it puts Yosemite in more situations where things can happen. Developers can't do everything. 

I'm really unsure about "the more the better". A developer requires constructive and professional feedback. I can easily imagine many inexperienced users either not reporting back or doing it in not the best way. On the other hand I also can daily imagine certain people installing this and then complain about stuff not working. I mean completely not realising what beta means.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I remember I had BeOS installed around the same time. Seems like yesterday to me 1frown.gif

Lol. Yes. Imagine: preemptive multitasking 1wink.gif
post #46 of 81

I love the new Yosemite wallpaper!

Perhaps Apple could call up Nicolas Cage, star of The Rock, to help advertise it.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

There was a problem with the code signing of Xcode Beta 6. I assume they pulled it to rectify the issue.

I must have been lucky. Beta 6 downloaded, installed and ran first time without issue. Just tried running my app on my test device and seems to work ok. But looks like it's still unavailable to re-download... So not sure if I should use it!

post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If they don't update the public betas people are testing then what good is it to have a public beta in the first place? Is that one incident that was equal to DP beta 4 really going to give them all the info they need before the official release?

The public beta is as much about public relations as it is extensive testing.

Consider the work load you will have just collating all of the bug reports, especially when the reports are the same old bug over and over again. I've had bug reports marked as duplicates and I'm certain other developers have. The problem is how do you handle bug reports when they come in by the millions. In the end I suspect Apple is looking more at indications of user satisfaction and feature improvements from the public betas. It is a different type of information compared to software defects in the SDK for example.
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The public beta is as much about public relations as it is extensive testing.

Consider the work load you will have just collating all of the bug reports, especially when the reports are the same old bug over and over again. I've had bug reports marked as duplicates and I'm certain other developers have. The problem is how do you handle bug reports when they come in by the millions. In the end I suspect Apple is looking more at indications of user satisfaction and feature improvements from the public betas. It is a different type of information compared to software defects in the SDK for example.

So then why wouldn't they be given a new public beta if it's about user satisfaction and feature improvements when the key features aren't working in the current public beta which will lead to less satisfaction.

post #50 of 81
How do I get the update ? I am not a developer.. but I downloaded the Yosemite as a early user....
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Throughout OS X, Energy Saver has changed from a real lightbulb to a compact fluorescent to an LED. Why is the printer icon still an inkjet?! :\

Why wouldn't the printer icon be an inkjet?  Sure laser printers are cheap now, but I expect that the vast majority of homes have an inkjet printer.  Right?

post #52 of 81
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I expect that the vast majority of homes have an inkjet printer.

So? The vast majority don’t have LED lights (we do; only way to fly), but that doesn’t stop Apple. They need to break the inkjet cartel.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #53 of 81
Quote:

So? The vast majority don’t have LED lights (we do; only way to fly), but that doesn’t stop Apple. They need to break the inkjet cartel.

Amen to that.
post #54 of 81
Xcode beta 6 is indeed out, at least from the developer portal. Downloading it now.
post #55 of 81
Scheduled launch this fall means NLT 12/21. Might be a while yet.
post #56 of 81

Xcode 6 beta 6 is available now (again).

post #57 of 81
Quote:

They could just do away with printing altogether.  That would be even bolder than the no-floppy move 15 years ago.

post #58 of 81
Quote:

How can you tell it's inkjet? The lightbulb design makes it obvious of the type because of how it illuminates, but can't that printer design also be used for laser? Is there a specific different printer design that would look better?

post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

They could just do away with printing altogether.  That would be even bolder than the no-floppy move 15 years ago.

Bold, but probably not very smart on Apple's part (to do away with printing entirely, that is).

post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm really diggin' this one:

For a second there, looking at your dock, I thought you were on Tiger!

post #61 of 81
Quote:

Indeed. I switched from ink to laser years ago and my yearly printing costs dropped from about $200 to about $20. No way I'll ever go back to ink.

post #62 of 81

Is it just me that has the Finder problem with Beta 6?

Upgraded from Beta 5 and now the Finder refuses to open... Any clues ?

post #63 of 81
Quote:

The settings icons are a fucking mess. Why can't they get one guy to redesign them all? They're all different styles, complexities, flat vs gradients, different degrees of attractiveness and ugliness, etc. Some are completely redone, while others barely touched. Such a sloppy and odd job. I don't get it. 

It looks like they are going to change them all this time. Yes, it is a mess. It's always been messy. I think that the System Preferences icons are designed by embedded designers in different teams rather than some OS X uber designer. On mavericks, some ( for e.g.) the users and groups have a shadow, others don't. Some have gradients, some don't. Some are sheumorphic or photo realistic (startup disk and printers) others are flat. 
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #64 of 81
The new iWork beta blocked me from accessing my documents nearly everywhere. Blocked on iCloud.com, not visible in Yosemite, not accessible on Mavericks, only on iOS.
Sort of gives beta testing a whole new meaning.
I just wish someone would make document editors that I actually would want to use. Microsoft, no thanks. Google, kidding? Apple, well thrice burned ..
post #65 of 81
How can you tell it's inkjet?

The design is strictly inkjet. The plastic cover lifts up to reveal the cartridges.

Is there a specific different printer design that would look better?

Ah, you’ve hit upon a good point here. As much as I hate inkjet machines and as much as I don’t like the new design they’ve used (it looks like someone’s real product, and I hate that real product; the plastic is molded in just the wrong way to look ugly), the top-fed design of printer is probably the one that looks the best.

post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VainGit View Post

Is it just me that has the Finder problem with Beta 6?

Upgraded from Beta 5 and now the Finder refuses to open... Any clues ?

There has been talk about that on the dev forums. Seems to be iCloud related. 

post #67 of 81
I installed Yosemite...hate the typography in the menus...
On a NON-retina display they look out of focus

hate it so much that I reinstalled Mavericks

First computer was an Apple //e, after that Macintosh (128K).
Now: MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 8GB RAM

First computer was an Apple //e, after that Macintosh (128K).
Now: MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz 8GB RAM

post #68 of 81
Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

It’s fixed in DP6.

post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDune View Post

I installed Yosemite...hate the typography in the menus...

hate it so much that I reinstalled Mavericks

I ran Yosemite on a 2010 15" MBP for a month and loved it. I don't understand your issue.
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I've noticed frequent changes to application icons during the beta anyway.

I suppose it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string - they could iterate forever and still not meet everyone's standards of taste and consistency.

However, for my part, so far, I think that the new design itself is great...and I can see a major attempt at consistency emerging here. In fact, I think Apple are going further than before in terms of ensuring that the new design touches every aspect of the OS. There's obviously still a lot of work to do - and third party developers will take time to catch up - but it's getting there.

post #71 of 81
Quote:

I believe this is its 3rd public beta.

Where did you hear that?  I haven't seen an update since the first public beta.

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Where did you hear that?  I haven't seen an update since the first public beta.

I didn't. I just assumed based on the release dates that it would match up with my developer betas. I was shocked to find out that the public beta is still at the same level of the 4th dev beta which doesn't have Handoff working properly.

post #73 of 81

I had an issue and it was related to Filevault kicking on. Had to boot from a backup, let FileVault finish its thing, and then it worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

post #74 of 81
Quote:

I didn't. I just assumed based on the release dates that it would match up with my developer betas. I was shocked to find out that the public beta is still at the same level of the 4th dev beta which doesn't have Handoff working properly.

Lack of Handoff is not issue as there is not public beta of iOS 8.
Or is Handoff also working between macs?
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Lack of Handoff is not issue as there is not public beta of iOS 8.
Or is Handoff also working between macs?

1) Remember that there fewer paid Mac developers than paid iOS developers, which is probably why Apple has done a public beta for Mac OS X and won't ever need to for iOS (at least not with its current developer popularity).

2) Yes, as well as just between iDevices if that's the only setup you have.

post #76 of 81
Quote:

I never understand why people can work with these kind of wallpapers. They distract immensely when working. I always select a simple solid color as background :-)
post #77 of 81
I kinda agree the icons are a mixed bag. But that was the case before Yosemite as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

After I read your rant on my MBP I pulled up my Yosemite server over ADR and put the Mavericks and Yosemite System Prefs side by side. I am assuming that's what you mean? Not sure I see any issues, just a refreshingly new look. Nothing to get your knickers in a bunch over.1smile.gif

post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I never understand why people can work with these kind of wallpapers. They distract immensely when working. I always select a simple solid color as background :-)

Solid black for so-many-years-now-I-can't-remember and counting.

post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Quote:

Work in full screen and you will have no background to distract you.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #80 of 81

Public beta 2 got a bunch more Yosemite wallpapers, not just that one! :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 6, Xcode 6 beta 6