Originally Posted by emnic Why didn't you just roll back to Parallels 9/Win7 on your Mavericks MBP?
Why would you then trouble yourself with a completely different VM?
And how do you know that Parallels 10 wont work with Yosemite, for which it's been upgraded for?
What techs are you talking about? Apple or Parallels? And you got them to stay on the phone for a complete TM backup and rollback? Even though it's like the easiest thing in the world to just explain and do yourself?
I should just probably let this go without responding, however... there are many people that come to these forums looking for answers rather than dead-end threads with no solutions. I also work with and install Parallels for many clients, and have not updated any of them to P-10 and won't be probably until the new year. The initial early-bird sales pitch to purchase new versions has been done for years. I always wait, and based on past experience, you'll be able to get the same deal or better around March.
The chronology didn't work so I rearranged your answers.
I installed a "completely different VM" at the insistence of the Parallels techs who were concerned my first install of version 10 corrupted my Windows 7.
OK. That's normal procedure. You/they pulled a copy of a backed-up VM, and reinstalled/imported it to Parallels 10. May I ask what happened? Did the new VM also become corrupted in P-10?
Finally, the techs to which I referred were clearly Parallels, not Apple, and I did not have to get them to stay on the phone, they insisted so they could see what was going on.
Sorry, it wasn't clear to me... and it does make a huge difference whether Apple or Parallels techs were assisting you. What did they say when Parallels 10 corrupted the second VM install of your backed up Win 7. Parallels has been known to say some pretty stupid things in the past, so I'm curious.
I don't know version 10 won't work with Yosemite, nor did I say I did (I don't have or want the beta version and you well know Parallels 10 has been on sale long before the release of Yosemite and not designed to work only with Yosemite).
Maybe it wasn't designed to ONLY work with Yosemite, but I imagine a number of advantages to upgrading will only become apparent when Yosemite is available.
Personal opinion, but if it wasn't broke and you were happy (you said so), why fix it... more to the point, why upgrade at this time? What were the main reasons you were upgrading early for? Price?
To answer your questions in order: As I said, rolling back is what I did before moving on to Fusion.
So after working with the Parallels tech support, you had a perfectly working Parallels 9-Windows 7 VM... just as it was before upgrading to P-10?
Why did you decide to purchase (~$60.00) and move to VMWare Fusion then, if you were previously happy with P9 and Win7 in Mavericks?
While I am glad some folks found no issues with Parallels 10, there are enough that have had problems such that Parallels expressed concern. Nothing is perfect and my case is apparently not an exception.
Again that points me to the question I asked previously: WHY upgrade NOW? What were you hoping to gain? Was it their advertising in any way that swayed you to think you would gain for example, more speed, smoother performance, etc. with Mavericks? Was it only to be ready when Yosemite is available?**** Was it the price?
While a Parallels customer for many years and through many versions, I am frankly happy with my switch to VMware Fusion 7.
I'm happy you're happy. But it still doesn't answer why you switched to Fusion if what I bolded above is also true and you were able to recover your working installation.
Sorry... but I'm a bit surprised at your methodology of how you get from being happy with a product that you've used for years, and it's working again as good as it ever was... to then deciding to jump to a complete unknown product. I'm NOT saying that Fusion isn't a good VM tool, because it is. But why spend money on something that can also be unstable once you upgrade to Yosemite... or could have also failed?
***At your skill level of troubleshooting your Mac, I would suggest not upgrading immediately to Yosemite. This is especially if you must work and be productive with a Boot Camp or a VM Windows installation, whether Parallels, Fusion or VirtualBox doesn't matter in this case. Apple does their best, but it stands to reason that Windows compatibility takes a back seat to Apple getting their native OSX working first. This also goes for those that must access Windows servers or services of any kind.
NOTE: I'm not putting you down in any way, but it appears that you're not the type that will have a good experience upgrading anything on a dot-zero release and working around or troubleshooting the inevitable bugs that pop up. Better to play it save... be patient... and wait out the "release testing" phase for dot-one.