or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other responsibilities

Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other responsibilities

post #1 of 45
Nearly six months after Steve Ballmer handed over the reins at Microsoft, the former CEO on Tuesday announced he is also resigning from the company's board, citing outside responsibilities like a new role as owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.

In a lengthy letter addressed to current Microsoft chief Satya Nadella, Ballmer extolled Microsoft's current leadership team, saying the new CEO is "off to a bold and exciting start." The resignation letter, full of buzzwords, was posted to Microsoft's website in full.

"No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote. "We draw talent as well as any company in the world. We have the profitability to invest in long-term opportunities and still deliver superior shorter term performance."

Turning to his own future, Ballmer said outside duties have been taking up a good chunk of time, so much so that it would be "impractical" to continue on as a board member. One of the main reasons cited for the departure is a responsibility to the Los Angeles Clippers basketball team, which he bought in May for $2 billion.

"In the six months since leaving, I have become very busy. I see a combination of the Clippers, civic contribution, teaching and study taking a lot of time," Ballmer wrote. "I have confidence in our approach of mobile-first, cloud-first, and in our primary innovation emphasis on platforms and productivity and the building of capability in devices and services as core business drivers."

Ballmer pointed out that he holds more shares of Microsoft than any one individual, excluding funds, and expects to stay in that position for the "foreseeable future." According to The New York Times, Ballmer's has a 3.99 percent stake in Microsoft with shares currently worth over $15 billion, more than company cofounder Bill Gates. Using the considerable sway, he intends to spur on Microsoft management and offer ideas and input going forward.

A response from Nadella -- also filled with neologisms -- is also included in the post and thanks Ballmer driving Microsoft to a "mobile-first, cloud-first world."
post #2 of 45

I miss him already.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 45
Riiiight!
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A response from Nadella -- also filled with neologisms -- is also included in the post and thanks Ballmer driving Microsoft to a "mobile-first, cloud-first world."

In other words, an "Apple-first, Google-first world."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 45
When asked about his decision:

Ballmer: "In Los Angeles 1+1 really equals 3. So in 2015 what's next? Players, players, players!! and of course!! Clippers, Clippers, Clippers!!"
post #6 of 45

This is great news for the Golden State Warriors.

post #7 of 45
Quote:

"No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote.

And yet so little was achieved.

Does that mean management was the problem?

(>_<)
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #8 of 45
And
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And yet so little was achieved.

Does that mean management was the problem?

(>_<)
people said Steve had a reality distortion field. Problem is his worked on other people too. Bad luck Mr Bulmer maybe you will do better in the sports arena
post #9 of 45
I hope as LA Clippers CEO and cheerleader he will be as entertaining as he was during his MS-period.
post #10 of 45

The best CEO there is.

(from Apple point of view)

post #11 of 45

Not the CEO Microsoft needs, but the one it deserves

censored

censored

post #12 of 45
"No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote."

Really? Does he really believe in that statement? If yes, the entire message makes no sense.
post #13 of 45
"Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other failures"
1wink.gif
post #14 of 45
I think this new interest in sports is an excellent fit. Jumping up and down, screaming, sweating profusely ...

OT ... Is it just me or have all the emoticons turned into blue boxes with question marks?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 45
Text from Nadella to Ballmer last week: "ok, it's been 6 months you know what you agreed to do. k thx."
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In other words, an "Apple-first, Google-first world."

HA HA HA!

Or as I said, "Which is it? Mobile First? If Mobile is first, how can Cloud be first?"

I really hate that the "participation trophy" mentality appears to be taking over the business world, too. I see it in many companies.

The reality is this, if everyone wins, nobody wins. If everyone is special, then no one is special. If every product is first, nothing is first.

post #17 of 45

10 yrs too late.

post #18 of 45

Judging by his introduction to the Clippers it's going to be a lot of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjJm_HweVO8

post #19 of 45

I can see AAPL shares collapsing after this dreadful news.

/s

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

When asked about his decision:

Ballmer: "In Los Angeles 1+1 really equals 3. So in 2015 what's next? Players, players, players!! and of course!! Clippers, Clippers, Clippers!!"

I don't care for basketball, but Ballmer is one person who might make me a fan. I can only imagine some of the things he might come up with for post-game press conferences after the Clippers got their ass handed to them. The score was a rounding error...The Lakers are not a real team...
post #21 of 45
He finally rose to his full potential. Good for him.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 45
He never made me want to own a pc.
post #23 of 45

I wonder if ESPN will be harder to manipulate than cnet, zdnet, et. al.

post #24 of 45

Comments like "HAHAHA, an athlete with no keyboard!! for 800 dollars!!" are now coming to basketball

bb
bb
post #25 of 45
Say it like it is: Steve Ballmer was fired and nobody wanted him there at Microsoft other than a bunch of Apple fans and employees.
post #26 of 45
I can just imagine their basketball practice games turning into pep rallies...

*Ballmer runs out of the locker room*

"Wooooo!!!! Wooooo!! WOOOOAAARGHHH!!!
C'MON!!!! C'MON!!! GIVE IT UP FOR MEEEEEEARGHH!!!

WHO SAID SIT DOWN!!!??!!

I HAVE 4 WORDS FOR YA!!!

I.... LOVE... THIS TEAM!!!!! YEAHHHRGH!!!!"
Edited by cali - 8/20/14 at 5:31pm
post #27 of 45
Quote:

I miss him already.

You wouldn't, if like me you live in L.A. I thought I was done with his asinine "monkey boy" antics from Seattle. Now he is performing nightly on our local sports news. I'm in hell!
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #28 of 45
Clippers: "at least we got rid of that crazy white guy...

youtube.com/watch?v=mriKM_39cfE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

*dials phone*

"Donald, is there any way we can work something out???"
post #29 of 45
Can wait to see how he screws up a Basketball team.

I said this when I first hear he bid 2M for a team which is not worth anything close to that. Here we got an owner of the team making and obviously idiot of himself only to have the NBA sanction him and for the owner to sell the team for a huge profit which is owned by a Charitable Trust.

The moral of this story is if you have crap team make public ass of yourself, only to then make the team worth more and find someone like Ballmer to over pay.

Boy the NBA Taught Donald Sterling a lesson didn't they, wouldn't you have like to take a $12M investment/hobby and turn it into $2B because you make everyone think your a racist.
Edited by Maestro64 - 8/20/14 at 9:24am
post #30 of 45
Apple pays 3 Gigabucks for the most successful headphone business in the world, and everybody bitches and moans about what a stupid idea it is.

Ballmer pays 2 Gb for the losingest team in basketball...yawn!
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

You wouldn't, if like me you live in L.A. I thought I was done with his asinine "monkey boy" antics from Seattle. Now he is performing nightly on our local sports news. I'm in hell!

You have my sympathy. That really sucks.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #32 of 45
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post
"No company in the world has the mix of software skills, cloud skills, and hardware skills we have assembled," Ballmer wrote."
Really? Does he really believe in that statement? If yes, the entire message makes no sense.

The statement is true. The answer to each of the three sections, however, is simply “none whatsoever”.

Originally Posted by kantx View Post
10 yrs too late.

Early.

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Apple pays 3 Gigabucks for the most successful headphone business in the world, and everybody bitches and moans about what a stupid idea it is.

Ballmer pays 2 Gb for the losingest team in basketball...yawn!

The Clippers have become really good over the past couple of years.  

post #34 of 45
He was so busy he was at the Dodgers game last night with Magic Johnson (part owner of the Dodgers), Doc Rivers, and Satya.

On another note, does Satya ever take off that blue blazer?
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantx View Post

10 yrs too late.

Microsoft built their business on letting someone else find a new market, become dominant, and then they would compete ferociously until the other guy stumbled. See: IBM, Borland, Netscape, DEC, SGI, Palm, Sony...

But Google (services) and Apple (mobile devices, music) have been able to keep Microsoft largely out of their established businesses. Microsoft hasn't given up on their "long game" strategy of waiting for their competitor to make a mistake. But that's the only way they win. Microsoft has high trepidation for entering new businesses where they can't leverage their existing product hegemonies (Windows and Office). Ballmer killed the Courier concept and instead bet the company on Surface, and look how it ended for him.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

He does believe that, but even Sony used to say that they should have been the company that created the iPod and the iTunes one-two punch because they had both entertainment and hardware divisions, if only those business units would work together, waaaah!

The problem is: the time has passed when having "all the right skills" is all it takes. The ecosystems are in place, entrenched and established. Microsoft is going to have to offer a breakthrough rather than a competent clone of an Apple device or Google service to win. And it is not configured to invent, only compete feature-for-feature and wait for the other guy to fail. Take Cortana for example: it might be better in some cases than Siri or Google Now but so what? It doesn't matter any more.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 45

Let's look at Balmer's failures and apply them to the Clippers...

Remove the start menu = erase all the lines on the court

Color the Zune in crap brown and puke green = Change the Clippers colors to crap brown and puke green

The Surface is and upside-down laptop = turn the hoop 180° so you have to shoot the ball upwards though it

Clippy the annoying help assistant = Clippy the annoying mascot

Fundmental change the whole user-interface = replace the basketball with a football

post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Can wait to see how he screws up a Basketball team.

You literally can't, the NBA will step in long before you can screw it up.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #39 of 45
Quote:

Quote:

In other words, an "Apple-first, Google-second world."

Indeed.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #40 of 45
I now must divulge the truth...Steve Balmer was a secret Apple operative whose mission was to destroy MSFT from within.

Good job Steve. Time to come in from the cold.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other responsibilities