or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' render shows sub-1mm rear camera lens protrusion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported 'iPhone 6' render shows sub-1mm rear camera lens protrusion

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
A three-dimensional render of a device said to be Apple's next-generation iPhone -- codenamed "N56" --?appeared from a source in the Republic of China on Wednesday, bearing a camera lens that extends outward from the device's rear cover in a manner similar to the fifth-generation iPod touch.




The somewhat sketchy image appears to be a photograph of a render on a computer display, showing color banding characteristic of such a capture. It was first noted by GforGames.

The device in the render sports a design much like those seen in recent supposed "leaks" of iPhone 6 chassis, along with a protruding camera lens. Accompanying text seems to suggest that the first prototype bearing this design came with a lens sticking out some 0.77 millimeters, but a subsequent prototype squashed that extension to 0.67 millimeters.

Similar reports of an iPod touch-style camera protrusion have appeared in relation to the iPhone 6 in the past. Most recently, an external camera lens ring said to be destined for Apple's newest handset appeared earlier this month alongside a slew of other parts.

It remains possible that these "leaks" could be for a sixth-generation iPod touch, rather than a new iPhone. Adding to the mystery is the relative lack of radio transparent material in the render, suggesting that the device in question could have limited need for antenna reception.

No matter its final form, Apple is widely expected to unveil at least one new iPhone -- perhaps a 4.7-inch model, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" version to follow -- at an event on Sept. 9. If the company holds true to its now-usual release pattern, the new devices would go on sale Sept. 19.
post #2 of 61
Lens gate! Calling it now.
post #3 of 61
I doubt Jony would design something like this.
You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #4 of 61
6 or 6L?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #5 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Lens gate! Calling it now.

 

Being honest, here - I don't care for the protruding lens on the iPod, really hoping it isn't on the iPhone 6.

 

I'm sure the optics will be stellar...but personally, I don't use a case and my iPhone sits flat on my desk.  I type on it without picking it up.  Can't do that with a protruding lens.

post #6 of 61
Is it possible that all of these iPhone 6 leaks have actually been leaks of a 4.7" iPod instead, and that we have no idea what the 6 will look like?
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I doubt Jony would design something like this.

5th gen iPod touch.

post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

Being honest, here - I don't care for the protruding lens on the iPod, really hoping it isn't on the iPhone 6.

 

I'm sure the optics will be stellar...but personally, I don't use a case and my iPhone sits flat on my desk.  I type on it without picking it up.  Can't do that with a protruding lens.

 

I agree.

I don't think it will have lens that protrudes less than 1mm. That seems like choosing to do things the hard way when it would be much easier and cleaner to make the whole thing less than 1mm thicker--or make a wedge-shaped phone. If the edge is radiused, I could live with a lens that protrudes into the radius while not increasing overall thickness. I wouldn't like that or a wedge-shaped phone, though. I also think either of those would be very unlike the Apple design trend.
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
 

 

Being honest, here - I don't care for the protruding lens on the iPod, really hoping it isn't on the iPhone 6.

 

I'm sure the optics will be stellar...but personally, I don't use a case and my iPhone sits flat on my desk.  I type on it without picking it up.  Can't do that with a protruding lens.

5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.

post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
 

5th gen iPod touch barely protrudes and that's thinner than the rumored iPhone 6 is supposed to be. Leaks like this don't tell the whole story. Hence why I can't get worked up over them.

 

True, but I've tried typing on an iPod touch 5th gen lying flat (no case) and it rocks.  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.  And I'm not likely the only person who'd think that.

 

I agree with you though, and I can't get "worked up" about it until I actually see it and then use it.  Of course I'm still getting it on release day.  And I'm sure it won't be a dealbreaker for me.  :-)

post #11 of 61

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

post #12 of 61
It is inevitable if the phone is thinner. You cannot thinner lens than it already is otherwise pics won't look great.

But for most consumers, it won't be an issue when they are using cases that will "smooth" out the form factor.
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

True, but I've tried typing on an iPod touch 5th gen lying flat (no case) and it rocks.  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.  And I'm not likely the only person who'd think that.

I agree with you though, and I can't get "worked up" about it until I actually see it and then use it.  Of course I'm still getting it on release day.  And I'm sure it won't be a dealbreaker for me.  :-)
My point is it's just a slight protrusion on the iPod touch and the iPhone 6 is rumored to be 7mm thick, thicker than the iPod touch. So either it won't protrude or if it does there's a reason for it. Or perhaps these schematics that are leaking are not iPhone 6 but new iPod touches or something else.
post #14 of 61
This is a again sketch of Goophone i6... Silly...

http://www.goophone.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60
post #15 of 61

Now this image completely convinced me! Oh wait....

post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
 

5th gen iPod touch.

Different animal.

You talkin' to me?
Reply
You talkin' to me?
Reply
post #17 of 61

Why is this rumor called "sketchy", but anything from Ming Kuo is considered true by AI?

post #18 of 61
In the Netherlands, Vodafone just announced iPhone 6. Not sure if it's any reliable...



There is a link to subscribe to some mailing list: https://www.vodafone.nl/iphone/nieuwe-iphone.shtml?cmpid=170017_26944978_1408_EDSE08-eDM_A558

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post
 

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. Just looks horribly wrong. Cant put finger on it. 

 

It's the dual-tone color and all the lines.

post #20 of 61
I still don't like those bands, and I don't like the lens like that.

I'd still buy it if I needed, it still looks great from the front and side.
post #21 of 61

shouldn't the buttons be on the other side of the phone (opposite the camera lens)?

post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post

It is inevitable if the phone is thinner. You cannot thinner lens than it already is otherwise pics won't look great.

But for most consumers, it won't be an issue when they are using cases that will "smooth" out the form factor.

 

I would be not so sure that most consumers use cases for their iPhones.

And why not to make it flat with extra .67mm added to the volume of the battery?

post #23 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post
 

shouldn't the buttons be on the other side of the phone (opposite the camera lens)?

 

That's the relocated power button and the sim tray you're seeing.  Rumor has been the power button will be on the side w/ sim tray.

post #24 of 61
Render render
I surrender,
Lens protrusion?
Design offender.

Rabble rabble
Click and post,
Google ads
Who serves the most?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 61
Yea, that'll fly.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Is it possible that all of these iPhone 6 leaks have actually been leaks of a 4.7" iPod instead, and that we have no idea what the 6 will look like?

I had the same idea when reading the article.
If that turns out to be true then "that's .... a bummer" 1wink.gif
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #27 of 61
Wrong tab—sorry!
post #28 of 61
A protruding lens like that is a bad idea. The iPhone 4 had a slightly protruding lens, and it got scuffed up if you weren't paying attention. The lens should have been slightly recessed. I know it's fixed on the 5s, I didn't check on the in-between models.
post #29 of 61
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
I doubt Jony would design something like this.

 

He already did, so...

 

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
Is it possible that all of these iPhone 6 leaks have actually been leaks of a 4.7” iPod...

 

Antenna bands, so no.

 

Originally Posted by erenbeskardes View Post
This is a again sketch of Goophone i6... Silly...

 

You can’t come to that conclusion by looking at any of the images, so could you tell us why you think this?

 

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
In the Netherlands, Vodafone just announced iPhone 6. Not sure if it's any reliable...

 

In the Netherlands, Vodafone just announced that it won’t be allowed to carry the iPhone 6, you mean.

post #30 of 61
From the post:

"Adding to the mystery is the relative lack of radio transparent material in the render"

Umm, the plastic break (white material) is very likely the radio transparent material, as has been evident in all the casing leaks so far.
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Render render
I surrender,
Lens protrusion?
Design offender.

Rabble rabble
Click and post,
Google ads
Who serves the most?

Truth be told I think you're right
Crapola fed by monies might
I smile, my head it slowly shakes
Such suckery a poet makes
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyltd View Post
 

This is not iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. 

 

This is iPhone. Sorry to disappoint. 

 

It doesn't take much to know that with all we've seen...this is it.

post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post
 

shouldn't the buttons be on the other side of the phone (opposite the camera lens)?

 

You're seeing only the power button, which is rumored to be moved from the top to the side with the camera.  The other thing on that side, that upon closer inspection you'll see isn't a protruding button, is the sim card slot cover.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
Reply
post #34 of 61
The lens may protrude slightly from the surface it emerges from, but it's not obvious to me that that surface (the upper strip above the plastic radio-window band) isn't recessed by the same amount from the rest of the back. Would this allow signals through closer to straight in from the top? I don't know.
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

I would be not so sure that most consumers use cases for their iPhones.

 

I am. Absolutely certain. I do occasionally see someone carrying a naked iPhone in the wild, but it's rare. Not surprising if you've ever tried to get a close look at iPhone cases in an Apple store -- that section is always a mob scene.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

And why not to make it flat with extra .67mm added to the volume of the battery?

 

Because Apple has body image issues. See the latest iMac for an example of the same kind of concept.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I doubt Jony would design something like this.

I dunno, for me... knowing where the lens is is a big deal and knowing I just put a greasy french fry ketchup smudge on it as I line up my food tweet shot is important.

 

;-)

;-)

 

But in reality, in trade off on tapered ends (feels good), and larger lens assembly (better pictures), I doubt that Jony et al will say, Absolutely not.

 

and I _do_ like a registration point for my fingers. 

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
 

 

I am. Absolutely certain. I do occasionally see someone carrying a naked iPhone in the wild, but it's rare. Not surprising if you've ever tried to get a close look at iPhone cases in an Apple store -- that section is always a mob scene.

I do not use a case anymore (4s).  Nor does my wife (5).  We both have them, but we stopped using them.  

 

Stop with your absolutes.

 

(That said, we both cracked our phones this year. ;-( ).

post #38 of 61
Could it be that the top and bottom areas of the phone (where the insert is located) are tapered in order to compensate for the protruding lens? Or are they flush with the rat of the back?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I doubt Jony would design something like this.

did he design iPod Touch? I won't rule this out.

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
Reply
post #40 of 61

I hope it's not protruding but I guess we'll see soon. Once you add a case with a cut out around the lens, it'll be flat again.

 

I can help but look at those bands on the back of the phone and think they look like underwear covering a wide ass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' render shows sub-1mm rear camera lens protrusion