or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Apple Store in the Middle East to open in Dubai next year - report

First Apple Store in the Middle East to open in Dubai next year - report

post #1 of 41
Apple looks set to launch its first official retail presence in the Middle East with a new store in Dubai's Mall of the Emirates, according to a new report, with the location said to be the largest the Cupertino company has ever built.

The Mall of the Emirates is a 2.4-million square foot establishment that is home to over 700 retail stores as well as Dubai's famous indoor ski resort. Apple is planning to take over a space currently belonging to a movie theater, notes EDGARdaily, which bills itself as a publication that provides "discernible gentlemen in the Middle East everything there is to know, to buy, to do, to see and to go."

Apple CEO Tim Cook was spotted in the United Arab Emirates earlier this year. He first met with UAE Prime Minister Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in Abu Dhabi, before speaking with UAE Minister of Cabinet Affairs Mohammad Abdullah Al Gergawi in Dubai.

Cook later visited a number of Apple resellers in the emirates.

Apple opened an online store in the UAE in 2011, but still lacks a first-party retail presence. The company is in the midst of a massive retail expansion under new stores czar Angela Ahrendts, and recently reached an accord with Saudi Arabian retailer Jarir Bookstore to expand sales in that country.
post #2 of 41

Why does this matter anymore? It's another freaking Apple store. Big deal.

post #3 of 41
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

1. Apple news website.

2. “...said to be the largest the Cupertino company has ever built.

post #4 of 41

I don't think the cube design would have gone down too well there (makkah).

post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Even though I'm not that crazy about the country that they're building it in, this is definitely Apple news.

Anytime that Apple opens their first store in a brand new country, that definitely qualifies as Apple news. Next time you see an article about an Apple store, just don't click on it. Problem solved.

post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

The Apple flagship Cube store on 5th Ave in New York was found offensive by a few Islamic nutjobs a while back. I remember that story, and I just dug it up.

The reason? Because the building resembles the Ka'ba in Mecca (pictured below), is called "Apple Mecca," (by whom?), is open 24 hours a day like the Ka'ba, and "contains bars selling alcoholic beverages."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/report-islamic-site-finds-apple-store-offensive/305

Do they sell alcohol? I don't recall ever seeing that. Those ignoramuses must think that the genius bar is an actual bar! Talk about stupid! And who calls it the Apple Mecca? Those morons are woefully misinformed and dumb.

post #7 of 41
"the location said to be the largest the Cupertino company has ever built."

Good ole Apple always outdoing themselves. This is going to be mentioned in one of their upcoming keynotes. I remember when they showed off their first china store. It was a wow moment.
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

"contains bars selling alcoholic beverages."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/report-islamic-site-finds-apple-store-offensive/305

Do they sell alcohol? I don't recall ever seeing that. Those ignoramuses must think that the genius bar is an actual bar! Talk about stupid!

facepalm.jpg

*agree
post #9 of 41
Quote:

The Apple flagship Cube store on 5th Ave in New York was found offensive by a few Islamic nutjobs a while back. I remember that story, and I just dug it up.

The reason? Because the building resembles the Ka'ba in Mecca (pictured below), is called "Apple Mecca," (by whom?), is open 24 hours a day like the Ka'ba, and "contains bars selling alcoholic beverages."

Do they sell alcohol? I don't recall ever seeing that. Those ignoramuses must think that the genius bar is an actual bar! Talk about stupid! And who calls it the Apple Mecca? Those morons are woefully misinformed and dumb.

I found a Facebook group calling for Steve Job's to be killed because of the NY Cube design back in the day. Insane. No patent, tough shit.

post #10 of 41
Quote:

I think the greater moron is the one who would believe anything in that zdnet story. Not a single source is referenced. I'm not surprised you remembered it and dug it up though, to keep spreading your usual poison, fear and ignorance.
post #11 of 41
Quote:

I found a Facebook group calling for Steve Job's to be killed because of the NY Cube design back in the day. Insane. No patent, tough shit.

Another brilliant, well-sourced report from the front lines. You and Apple ][ should hook up and go out together.
post #12 of 41

I find it distressing that Apple would kowtow to the terrorist cesspool that is the Middle East and build a store anywhere in that region. This place has been extremely hostile to the West for decades if not centuries and Apple should not taint their products by selling to these clowns unless they clean up their act.

post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I think the greater moron is the one who would believe anything in that zdnet story. Not a single source is referenced. I'm not surprised you remembered it and dug it up though, to keep spreading your usual poison, fear and ignorance.

I didn't read the story Apple][ linked to, but I can be pretty sure there was truth in it because I personally read pages upon pages of vile religious chatter calling for SJ's death due to the cube design.

post #14 of 41
Quote:

Another brilliant, well-sourced report from the front lines. You and Apple ][ should hook up and go out together.

Jog on.

post #15 of 41
Quote:

I found a Facebook group calling for Steve Job's to be killed because of the NY Cube design back in the day.

You've got to be kidding me. Seriously.

It's a wonder there was no fatwah against that other cubist, Ernő....

(Aargh.... what's up with the damn formatting on AI....)

post #16 of 41
Quote:

I didn't read the story Apple][ linked to, but I can be pretty sure there was truth in it because I personally read pages upon pages of vile religious chatter calling for SJ's death due to the cube design.

I can read pages and pages of skinhead ravings from England, and I won't make a single generalization about the sanity or humanity of the English people based on those ravings.

It's a fallacy to extrapolate from the lunatic fringe. Especially when the most extreme ravings can be from agents provocateurs who are serving hidden agendas. We saw a lot of that in the 60s in the US. Black Power and New Left agitators turned out to be government agents and so on.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I find it distressing that Apple would kowtow to the terrorist cesspool that is the Middle East and build a store anywhere in that region. This place has been extremely hostile to the West for decades if not centuries and Apple should not taint their products by selling to these clowns unless they clean up their act.

Not sound business to alienate an entire group of people just because of a few misguided individuals.

Edit: plus you're forgetting that terrorists use Android lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #18 of 41

Obviously, You've never been to Dubai. Awesome place. Been in and out for more than a Decade. Population not huge, but well heeled and tech savvy. Who cares what the offensive 0.0001 percent think, this is a developed country crying for the resources a Genuine Apple retail store brings.

The same could go for Doha, Qatar. Definitely enough sophisticated customers domestic, and the Ex-pat community that well outnumbers the citizens. A further long list of significant markets unserved would be, Singapore, Bangkok, and Kuala-Lumpur. And, as long as I'm on a rant, the unqualified statements about China, where I've spent most of the last 15 years, are way off-base. They now have a middle class that is larger than the US population, and even those who are not part of, WILL spend what it takes, even 2-3 months wages, to own Genuine Apple products. The China Telecom deal was HUGE. I will be purchasing an iPhone 6 in China, thru China telecom, and the legions will be many.

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamenbill View Post

..... legions will be many.

Well written post with good points, but I've never seen legions that weren't many. 1wink.gif
post #20 of 41
Quote:

I linked to an Apple related news story from many years ago that appears on many different sites, as it was directly related to a comment made in this thread. And yes, I obviously remembered the story from back then, I have a good memory. You are free to Google such information yourself.

I see that you have a problem with people stating history and things that have happened in the past. Would you like to rewrite history?

post #21 of 41
Quote:

You're just being poisonous for daring to simply point out any facts. You're the bad one, not the wackjobs who were calling for Steve Job's death.

Let's pretend that it never happened, and let's attack anybody who points out facts in this thread, because I love to make excuses for these murderous savages.

I'd rather see these murderous scumbags with their heads on a pike than using an Apple product.

post #22 of 41
Quote:

No wonder it's so tough to find ice cubes in the Middle East¡ 😜

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity 
You're just being poisonous for daring to simply point out any facts. You're the bad one, not the wackjobs who were calling for Steve Job's death.

Let's pretend that it never happened, and let's attack anybody who points out facts in this thread, because I love to make excuses for these murderous savages.

One of us is misreading @monstrosity's comment because to me it sounds like he was backing up your statement.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One of us is misreading @monstrosity's comment because to me it sounds like he was backing up your statement.

There's also another scenario.

Both of us are reading monstrosity's comment perfectly well and understood exactly what he meant, however, one of us is misreading Apple ]['s comment.

post #24 of 41
Quote:

Why don't you go defend the savages who just chopped off an American journalists head? And you call me the poisonous one, lol.

No one is defending murder. No doubt there is a lot of hate in the Middle East, but Dubai is rated as the best city in the entire Middle East and has a human rights ranking higher than the US. It is certainly not a bad place for an Apple store. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No one is defending murder. No doubt there is a lot of hate in the Middle East, but Dubai is rated as the best city in the entire Middle East and has a human rights ranking higher than the US. It is certainly not a bad place for an Apple store. 

My comment had nothing to do with Dubai at all. My comment had to do with somebody who was criticizing the old link that I posted.

post #26 of 41
Quote:

Does that include all the reports of labourers brought over from other countries with the promise of good pay just to have their passports held and wages garnished or not paid at all because of bait and switch tactics? I don't know if those reports are true, but I've certainly read about them.

post #27 of 41
Quote:

Does that include all the reports of labourers brought over from other countries with the promise of good pay just to have their passports held and wages garnished or not paid at all because of bait and switch tactics? I don't know if those reports are true, but I've certainly read about them.

It does. They were accused of those violations back in the early 2000s and they cleaned it up to earn a very favorable rating now.

Quote: Wikipedia
 In 2013, the Norway-based Global Network for Rights and Development (GNRD) released its annual International Human Rights Indicator (IHRRI) report, which ranks the United Arab Emirates first among Arab countries and 14th globally for respecting human rights. The next Arab country on the list,Tunisia, was ranked at 72. The UAE was also ranked six spots ahead of the United States, which was placed 20th overall. To acquire its 14th position, the UAE fared well across 21 individual categories, performing best in the education category with a 94 percent finish for ensuring education for all children. The UAE also earned a 70 percent rating for providing rights to acceptable conditions at work

Edited by mstone - 8/20/14 at 1:09pm

post #28 of 41
Quote:

I've always heard that of wannabe models.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I've always heard that of wannabe models.

Is sex trafficking in Dubai still an issue? It's not documented like typical labourers so I think it could go unnoticed by GNRD and other groups but I have to assume it's an issue… as I assume it's an issue nearly everywhere in the world.

post #30 of 41

I don't understand why articles relating to the Middle East are immediately attacked by a bunch of high-ranked posters who spread fear and offensive racial comments. These comments are neither relevant to this site nor factual, and they ruin the whole experience of Appleinsider.

Moderators should delete such posts (unfortunately some moderators contribute to the madness), there are numerous sites out there where haters can hate, let's leave this one for technology and those who appreciate Apple.

*Grammar

Edited by bloggerblog - 8/20/14 at 1:55pm
bb
bb
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't understand why articles relating to the Middle East are immediately attacked by a bunch of high-ranked posters who spread fear and offensive racial comments. These comments are neither relevant to this site nor factual, and they ruin the whole experience of Appleinsider.

Moderators should delete such posts (unfortunately some moderators contribute to the madness), there are numerous sites out there where haters can hate, let's leave this one for technology and those who appreciate Apple.

*Grammar

It's like they can't help themselves, which indicates a certain amount of pathology. We got as far as beheading and sex slavery associated with the good news of a new Apple store. Like sex slavery never occurs in the US, or murders of turbaned individuals or mass shootings at temples that have nothing to do with Jihadists, such is the ignorance of our home-grown terrorists.

The moderators should clean this up, I agree with you. It cheapens the whole site. Do the mods not care?
Edited by Flaneur - 8/20/14 at 4:13pm
post #32 of 41

Good move by Apple. There's nothing else to see in Dubai, so you might as well splurge in an Apple shop.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Quote:

I'd rather see these murderous scumbags with their heads on a pike than using an Apple product.

Maybe so, but it's better to turn the other Safari tab, as SolipsismX would say.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #34 of 41
Quote:

Quote:

Why don't you go defend the savages who just chopped off an American journalists head? And you call me the poisonous one, lol.

If Dubai is rated best city in the Middle East, God help them. It's the most boring place in the world. If Panama  is as you describe, I certainly wouldn't recommend Dubai, unless you like doing lots of shopping.

Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/20/14 at 4:24pm
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #35 of 41
Quote:

I am a muslim and I used to live in the middle east during that time period. I only heard about this years later in the US. Seriously.. no one cares if a building is cube. This is just someone trying to get attention.

post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am a muslim and I used to live in the middle east during that time period. I only heard about this years later in the US. Seriously.. no one cares if a building is cube. This is just someone trying to get attention.

I can see it being more of an irrational problem for those against Islam in a post-9/11 NYC when a cube structure covered in black was erected.

I recall when there was outrage when a mosque was being built too close to where the Twin Towers had stood. Ignorant on so many levels.

post #37 of 41
Quote:

Is sex trafficking in Dubai still an issue? It's not documented like typical labourers so I think it could go unnoticed by GNRD and other groups but I have to assume it's an issue… as I assume it's an issue nearly everywhere in the world.

I heard those sex trafficking stories before Dubai became popular.
post #38 of 41
Quote:

There are also many Facebook pages by American christians calling people to pray for Obama's death. There are crazy people everywhere.

post #39 of 41
Quote:

I recall when there was outrage when a mosque was being built too close to where the Twin Towers had stood. Ignorant on so many levels.

I didn't realise mosques had several floors.

One learns something every day.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good move by Apple. There's nothing else to see in Dubai, so you might as well splurge in an Apple shop.

There's always the indoor ski resort.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • First Apple Store in the Middle East to open in Dubai next year - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Apple Store in the Middle East to open in Dubai next year - report