or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Barnes & Noble partners with Samsung for latest iPad-competing Nook tablet

Barnes & Noble partners with Samsung for latest iPad-competing Nook tablet

post #1 of 52
Though Barnes & Noble no longer makes its own tablets, it's still in the hardware business with a brand-new $179 Nook intended to take on the iPad, this time with a model built by Apple's chief rival, Samsung.

The Galaxy Tab 4 Nook was officially announced by the bookseller on Wednesday, pitched as a full Android tablet that can also serve as a suitable e-reader. The device targets Apple's iPad mini in the low end of the tablet market, with a 7-inch display and $179 starting price after $20 instant rebate.

The Nook is now available in more than 660 Barnes & Noble stores, as well as through the company's website. It weighs in at 0.6 pounds, slightly undercutting Apple's 0.69-pound iPad mini but with a smaller diagonal display size.

The Galaxy Tab-branded Nook is also 0.35 inches thick, measuring slightly thicker than the iPad mini with Retina display, which measures 0.29 inches. It also has a 1.3-megapixel front camera, 3-megapixel rear camera, Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS support, and comes with 8 gigabytes of storage.

The 7-inch display has a screen resolution of 1,280 by 800 pixels, and it's powered by a 1.2-gigahertz quad-core Snapdragon processor. The Galaxy Tab 4 Nook runs Android 4.4 KitKat, but features the Barnes & Noble Nook store rather than Google Play or Samsung Hub.

Other aspects of Android have been customized, much like previous Nook tablets, including the Nook Library widget on the home screen, displaying recently read titles and new recommended books.

Barnes & Noble is also offering more than $200 worth of free content with new purchases, including popular titles like "Freakonomics," single episodes of shows like HBO's "Veep," and 14-day free trial subscriptions to a range of magazines including "Sports Illustrated." Complimentary content will continue to be made available on an ongoing basis through Barnes & Noble's "Free Fridays" program, offering Nook books, videos or apps every week.

Barnes & Noble entered the hardware business in 2011 with the launch of its first Nook, which was a black-and-white e-reader designed to compete with Amazon's popular book-focused Kindle. But as the iPad began to chip away at traditional e-reader sales, the company released a full color touchscreen tablet in 2012 dubbed the Nook HD+.

Barnes & Noble's stint in the hardware-making business proved short-lived, however, as the company announced in 2013 that it would no longer design and build its own Nook tablets. Instead, going forward it will partner with established hardware makers to sell Nook-branded devices at its stores.
post #2 of 52

I think B&N and Nook would be thrilled enough just to "take on" the Kindle...

slightly closer to "picking' on someone their own size".

post #3 of 52
The next "iPad-Killer" has arrived.
post #4 of 52
It's great for the price! But there's no comparing it to the iPad, which is in a different price range entirely. Different price range, different specs. Higher priced iPad, better device (usually).
post #5 of 52
So it's plastic with an inch smaller screen than the iPad mini but it's thicker and barely any lighter? What a piece of junk. I'll take the old 1stGen mini over the new Barnes & Noble Scamsung Crook.
post #6 of 52

That Android tablet and inferior wanna be iPad Mini is terrible!

Who in their right mind would buy one of those?

I've seen iPad Minis going for as little as $199 recently. My message to any cheapo Samsung Nook buyers is this: Yeah, I know it's a lot for you, but spend an extra lousy twenty dollars and get the far superior tablet, the damn iPad Mini. The choice is so obvious. 

(1) Better and more refined OS that is easier and more enjoyable to use

(2) More secure

(3) The best app selection and variety on the planet

(4) It's from an American company that innovates, not some foreign company that makes cheap and ugly knockoffs

(5) Far superior tech support should you ever need it. Are you going to walk into a Samsung Store or Barnes and Nobles and have them fix your tablet? Fat Chance!

(6) Do you want to be known as cheap and technically ignorant when people in the know judge you based on your ignorant tablet choosing skills?

(7) Do you want to be a walking joke and have people laughing at you from all directions?

Get the damn iPad Mini, don't be stupid.

post #7 of 52
My wife loves the B&W Nook, and I think it is superior to Kindle in useability. Last time she accidentally washed it with her laundry and we had to replace it. Next time I won't be considering this.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, I know it's a lot for you, but spend an extra lousy twenty dollars...

LULZ!
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #9 of 52
An iPad competitor?? Hardly.

B&N is targeting this at the book and magazine market specifically. If you go to their webpage it's pretty clear who their intended audience is. If it's meant to compete with anything it would be Amazon's Kindle's (Fire). Certainly not designed to take on the iPad Mini IMHO

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-barnes-noble/1119732448
melior diabolus quem scies
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An iPad competitor?? Hardly.

B&N is targeting this at the book and magazine market specifically. If you go to their webpage it's pretty clear who their intended audience is. If it's meant to compete with anything it would be Amazon's Kindle's (Fire). Certainly not designed to take on the iPad Mini IMHO

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-barnes-noble/1119732448
That's like saying some Windows laptop isn't competing with the MacBook because it's a cheap pos. Newsflash, it's all the same market! There are no varying degrees, Barnes & Noble will try to convince people to buy this over the Kindle Fire AND iPad mini. Just because they lack the engineering prowess, supply chain and brand confidence to stand more directly toe to toe with Apple doesn't mean they're not a competitor.
post #11 of 52

This is AI's way of getting paid by Samsung to get some publicity for another award losing tablet device. 

Instead of comparing the new Nook device to Amazon's Kindle, the Nook's true competitor, AI decides to focus a competition with the iPad Mini.

How about the Nook competing with Samsung's own tablets? Those tablets are supposed to be shipping in large numbers! Wouldn't the new new Nook take a bite out of those shipments long before they took a bite out of iPad sales?

i guess the iPad Mini competition is the only way most Apple fans would even know the new Samsung Nook even existed.

post #12 of 52
I think this is more of a competitor to Kindle than the iPad.
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think this is more of a competitor to Kindle than the iPad.
The Kindle that Amazon splashed across its storefront homepage next to an iPad mini for comparison sake? The Kindle that Amazon spent millions of dollars advertising on TV as a superior device to the iPad?

For crying out loud, these devices are all on the same playing field. They all purposely undercut the iPad mini then openly try to convince customers to buy their cheaper devices over those "expensive" Apple products. AI was not out of line to highlight a new entrant into this cesspool of a market.
post #14 of 52
Yawn
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

AI was not out of line to highlight a new entrant into this cesspool of a market.

That is true! Agreed!

post #16 of 52
Quote:

That's like saying some Windows laptop isn't competing with the MacBook because it's a cheap pos. Newsflash, it's all the same market! There are no varying degrees, Barnes & Noble will try to convince people to buy this over the Kindle Fire AND iPad mini. Just because they lack the engineering prowess, supply chain and brand confidence to stand more directly toe to toe with Apple doesn't mean they're not a competitor.
You didn't actually visit the B&N product page did you? Had you bothered it would have been clear who B&N is marketing their Nook to. It ain't the iPad crowd.1rolleyes.gif
post #17 of 52
"Nothing from nothing... Still leaves nothing. You gotta have something, if you wanna be with me."--Billy Preston
post #18 of 52

why isn't green peace going after all these companies who are creating all this e-waste.

Hell Dell now have a table which is so bad they will give you one free if you buy a cheap-o desktop machine.

post #19 of 52
Meh. Not in the market for B&N or Samsung reader, but Amazon needs more competition, don't you think?. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You didn't actually visit the B&N product page did you? Had you bothered it would have been clear who B&N is marketing their Nook to. It ain't the iPad crowd.1rolleyes.gif
And what's the "iPad crowd," exactly? I guess if B&N doesn't feature pics of people holding Starbucks lattes, it's all good and they don't mean Apple any harm, right? You're insane. FFS the whole page from top to bottom is a direct Apple.com ripoff.
post #21 of 52
Companies don't get it!

Compare this:
the Barnes & Noble Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
(running Google's Android featuring the Nook Store not the Google Play or Samsung Hub stores).

to this:
the Apple iPad

Simplicity matters a lot to people in a world where confusion reigns.
post #22 of 52
"and $179 starting price after $20 instant rebate"

And right out of the gate we see the gimmicky pricing scheme of the Android world. Classy.
FEAR GOOGLE
FEAR GOOGLE
post #23 of 52

My son will be disappointed that B&N didn't follow his (unsolicited) advice to call their post-Nook device the Cranny.

post #24 of 52

B & N plus Samsung.

A winning combination.

/s

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #25 of 52
What is the point of this device?
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Meh. Not in the market for B&N or Samsung reader, but Amazon needs more competition, don't you think?. 1smile.gif

Absolutely.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #27 of 52
Quote:

And what's the "iPad crowd," exactly? I guess if B&N doesn't feature pics of people holding Starbucks lattes, it's all good and they don't mean Apple any harm, right? You're insane. FFS the whole page from top to bottom is a direct Apple.com ripoff.

I'm insane? You didn't look at Apple's product page either then. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single similarity between the two. Feel free to point them out tho since you've decided B&N did a direct Apple.com ripoff.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-nook-tablet/379004262

So who is the iPad crowd? The media creators, the gamers, the business-users, the educators, the students, the photo re-touchers. . . B&N isn't targeting any of those nor is the Nook created for those uses. They're after the readers if you pay attention to their marketing of the Nook. Wonder why?
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/20/14 at 11:39am
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

The next "iPad-Killer" has arrived.

The last few times I have visited the local Barnes & Noble the Nook section in the middle of the store was completely devoid of any customers or even retail clerks. Nobody.

post #29 of 52
Guys, B&N would never dream of out-iPadding the iPad, especially since they're outsourcing their hardware. They're just trying to keep from being shut out completely of the growing eBook business.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 52

Not a fan of tablets & slates for reading and I despise ebooks. Give me the good old paperback & hardbounds.

FWIW, yes I AM that old.:p

post #31 of 52
The Samsung entry level Tab series are absolute, complete garbage. Who in their right mind would buy this over say a Kindle HDX 7, Qualcomm 800 vs. a now obsolete Snapdragon S4. That's Samsung's mantra with their Tab, Tab 2, Tab 3 and now Tab 4, we give you last year's tech for today's prices. Seriously, the Tab 4 10.1 costs almost the same as the Samsung's Pro series. There's a 80 dollar difference, check it out for yourself on Amazon, so who are the idiots that are buying a Tab 4. The 7 inch model, not when there is the Kindle, EVGA Note 7, Nvidia Shield, HP extreme 7, etc. Not to mention, you thought Samsung takes forever to update their premium products, well your in for treat with their Tab series, you might get 2 updates, then your on your own. My sister's husband has a Tab 3 10.1, it was updated once to 4.2.2, they skipped 4.3, so he's still waiting for Kit Kat, shameful Samsung, get your shitt together. I still like B&N's little Glow series though, I also thought their other tablets were well designed, much nicer then anything Samsung has ever come up with.

Samsung Tab 4 10.1
$319.00

Samsung Tab Pro 10.1
$398.00

3264 x 2448 vs. 1280 x 800
2GB vs. 1.5GB
Exynos Octa 5420, Mali-T628 vs. SnapDragon S4, Adreno 305 (it's even the slowest version)
8MP rear camera vs. 3MP

Quadrant AnTuTu 3D Mark Ice Storm Sunspider JavaScript Test (lower is better)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 9181 17,239 4615 920
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 14,515 33,947 13,458 472

You would have to be high to choose the Tab 4
Edited by Relic - 8/20/14 at 12:59pm
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Only Apple needs competition. Any competition Amazon gets will have to pass the DOJ vetting process.
post #33 of 52

ahahahahahahhahaha!!!!!

wow...

don't know whether to laugh or to cry for them...

nah, I'll just laugh.

both companies diluting brand and confusing customers... again.

post #34 of 52
Quote:

That Android tablet and inferior wanna be iPad Mini is terrible!

Who in their right mind would buy one of those?

I've seen iPad Minis going for as little as $199 recently. My message to any cheapo Samsung Nook buyers is this: Yeah, I know it's a lot for you, but spend an extra lousy twenty dollars and get the far superior tablet, the damn iPad Mini. The choice is so obvious. 

(1) Better and more refined OS that is easier and more enjoyable to use

(2) More secure

(3) The best app selection and variety on the planet

(4) It's from an American company that innovates, not some foreign company that makes cheap and ugly knockoffs

(5) Far superior tech support should you ever need it. Are you going to walk into a Samsung Store or Barnes and Nobles and have them fix your tablet? Fat Chance!

(6) Do you want to be known as cheap and technically ignorant when people in the know judge you based on your ignorant tablet choosing skills?

(7) Do you want to be a walking joke and have people laughing at you from all directions?

Get the damn iPad Mini, don't be stupid.

Though I agree the iPad would be a better choice, no one in their right mind, except maybe for you would walk up to someone just to ostracize them in public for their choice of tablet, that's just ridiculous. No one in reality cares what technology another person uses, period.

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

No one in reality cares what technology another person uses, period.

I'm sorry, but that is just factually incorrect, because I know of at least one person who cares, me. 

I'm pretty sure that there are others too.

post #36 of 52

Frothy desperation from both Barnes and Noble and Samsung. 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #37 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

No one in reality cares what technology another person uses, period.

I'm sorry, but that is just factually incorrect, because I know of at least one person who cares, me. 

I think you're reading her response incorrectly: it's about what someone thinks about another person's choice in tech, not your own preference.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #38 of 52
This will flop- the screen resolution is worse than it's predecessor.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #39 of 52
Quote:

[/quotee]

Why would you care what other people use, especially when it doesn't affect you personally in the slightest. You've on a few occasions actually said that you hate people who use Android devices, as if they were inferior to you somehow. Frankly, I am without words when it comes to such sentiment. Prior to the iPhone what did you use. I predominantly used Nokia, like the Communicator and E series, i.e. E72 and E6.
post #40 of 52
Quote:

Why would you care what other people use, especially when it doesn't affect you personally in the slightest. You've on a few occasions actually said that you hate people who use Android devices, as if they were inferior to you somehow. Frankly, I am without words when it comes to such sentiment. Prior to the iPhone what did you use. I predominantly used Nokia, like the Communicator and E series, i.e. E72 and E6.

I'm not just talking about phones, but about tech and computers in general. Before phones it was Mac VS PC. 

And yes, I am not that fond of Fandroids, I have never tried to hide that.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Barnes & Noble partners with Samsung for latest iPad-competing Nook tablet
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Barnes & Noble partners with Samsung for latest iPad-competing Nook tablet