or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB

Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB

post #1 of 114
Buyers of Apple's next-generation 9.7-inch iPad will have more RAM to play with, according to a Wednesday report from the Republic of China, as the company is said to be preparing to offer the forthcoming revision of its popular tablet with two gigabytes of onboard RAM.

The second-generation iPad mini with Retina display will not share in the upgrade and will instead keep a similar configuration to its predecessor, Taiwanese blog TechNews.tw noted. Both tablets currently ship with one gigabyte of RAM.

Though the limit seems relatively paltry compared to traditional computers, Apple's iOS operating system is designed to intelligently manage RAM usage. Most memory-saving operations are transparent to users, though there are some -- such as releasing pages from Safari's cache, causing them to be reloaded -- that crop up in daily use.

Relatively little is known about Apple's future plans for the iPad. Many believe that the tablets will gain the iPhone 5s's Touch ID-equipped home button and a faster, so-called "A8" processor during the lineup's next refresh, though the rumor well runs dry after that.

Apple is thought to be planning an iPhone-focused event on Sept. 9. While it is possible that new iPad models could be rolled out at the same time, the company has recently chosen to unveil changes to the iPad at a separate event in October.
post #2 of 114
2gigs of ram would definitely help apps like Photoshop Touch and Procreate.
post #3 of 114

What would be nice - if Touch ID is introduced along with seamless multi-user experience on iPad - personalized folders, mail boxes, preferences, etc.

Not sure if Apple is going to do that ever as they would prefer each family member to own a separate iPad.

post #4 of 114

Hmm. Sounds wrong. They made a point of unifying the platform with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. Why would they split it again?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #5 of 114
Remember last year when all the rumors said the mini would use a different chip than the Air? Here we go again...
post #6 of 114

Since I'll be getting the Air 2, this rumor sounds good to me!

The more power and more ram, the better!

post #7 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Sounds wrong. They made a point of unifying the platform with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. Why would they split it again?

Well, the Mini Retina is cheaper, and I always found it strange that it was equally as powerful as the Air. In my opinion, the larger model should always be a little better and a bit more powerful.

post #8 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What would be nice - if Touch ID is introduced along with seamless multi-user experience on iPad - personalized folders, mail boxes, preferences, etc.
Not sure if Apple is going to do that ever as they would prefer each family member to own a separate iPad.

1) I still haven't heard a solid solution as to how they would implement that securely without requiring installing apps for each user account or how they would use a single app installation per device that would infuse the proper user files as needed, or how they will prevent a major power and performance hit for keeping accounts and apps running on other users, like with OS X and Windows.

2) Perhaps the new Family Sharing plan is a step in that direction. Perhaps the longterm goal is to allow a single account with multiple users to use a single device interchangeably. If there is anything that I see that could lead to that solution I think that is it.

3) Even if you have Touch ID you would still need to have a username or avatar for each account because it's possible that there could be a duplicate for either the fingerprint or passcode used to secure the device.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 114
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In my opinion, the larger model should always be a little better and bit more powerful.

I’m all for gimping an unusable tablet, but I’m more for unification of a platform. It makes a ton of sense to be able to have the confidence to go into a store, buy from a tablet lineup, and know that the software you want WILL work on that model. Also, the iPad mini is already gimped. Hi-yo!

post #10 of 114

Seems odd to bring parity between the 2 for 1 generation then start to diversify the lineup again. Other than a minor clock difference I wouldn't have expected any difference.  Mind you, with the iPhone 6 1Gb rumour, then this, it just shows all rumours are rubbish :)  Let's wait and see.

post #11 of 114
Quote:

I’m all for gimping an unusable tablet, but I’m more for unification of a platform. It makes a ton of sense to be able to have the confidence to go into a store, buy from a tablet lineup, and know that the software you want WILL work on that model. Also, the iPad mini is already gimped. Hi-yo!

nope.

Its about maximizing profits.

Makes no sense you get the same powered tablet but smaller.

Usually that means it should cost MORE.

If they weaken the Mini more will choose the Air which has higher margins, revenue, and profit.

post #12 of 114
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Makes no sense you get the same powered tablet but smaller. Usually that means it should cost MORE.

Why? It’s the same chips. Buy in bulk, save money.

If they weaken the Mini more will choose the Air which has higher margins, revenue, and profit.

Completely different products with completely different use cases.

post #13 of 114
Quote:

The screen isn't the same, and it's smaller and considerably higher PPI, therefore like a more expensive component, plus the whole thing may (may) be more difficult to assemble.

post #14 of 114
Quote:

nope.

Its about maximizing profits.

Makes no sense you get the same powered tablet but smaller.

Usually that means it should cost MORE.

I agree. If the models are equally as powerful, then Apple should raise the price of the Mini.

It doesn't make sense to offer an Air for $500, when an equally as powerful Mini is $100 cheaper.

Hell, they could even be the same price, if you ask me.

post #15 of 114

Hello, side-by-side apps--on the Air 2, that is!

post #16 of 114
Interesting even if it doesn't make sense to me. I'm an original iPad customer so what happens to the Mini doesn't bother me too much. This may infuriate software developers that want to bring new capabilities to all platforms though. Beyond that RAM is so cheap these days It wouldn't make a big dent in platform costs.

This does make me wonder though if the AIR will have a higher performance A8 implementation with a wider memory bus. That would do a lot to eliminate one bottle neck for the A8. We could see the return of the "X" variants.
post #17 of 114
Quote:

I agree. If the models are equally as powerful, then Apple should raise the price of the Mini.

It doesn't make sense to offer an Air for $500, when an equally as powerful Mini is $100 cheaper.

Especially now with the larger iphones coming.

IMO, Apple wants to cannabalize the iPadMini to death.  At $399 they make hardly nothing.  Mini's should really be a niche product and weakening it will help in that regard.  It will the 5C of tablets.   In fact they should replace the Mini's case with plastic to increase margins.

They rather have people pay $500 for the Air or $700 for a large subsidized phone.

post #18 of 114
Quote:

I believe that while the componentry (screen aside) is the same, the mini is actually clocked lower for battery and heat dissipation reasons.  So while your argument is totally correct from a costs perspective, there is still a small disparity from an experience perspective.  Could it be that the Mini uses chips that don't quite pass the quality checks but are fine if you run them a bit slower?  That's basically how a lot of X86 chips work, there is no difference between them oftentimes at similar speed ratings, the higher rated ones just get marked as such because they benchmarked better under load.

post #19 of 114
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post
The screen isn't the same, and it's smaller and considerably higher PPI, therefore like a more expensive component, plus the whole thing may (may) be more difficult to assemble.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the topic of discussion. We’re talking onboard RAM. It’s no more difficult than assembly would be otherwise.

post #20 of 114
Quote:

The savings in buying in bulk is immaterial compared to the difference in unit price ( $500 vs $400)

Add to the fact that Mini's already have much lower margins than Air.

Less Revenue

Less Margin

Less Profit

post #21 of 114
Quote:

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the topic of discussion. We’re talking onboard RAM. It’s no more difficult than assembly would be otherwise.

Its not just about cost of making the Mini.

Its about making it weaker so more people choose the higher margin Air

post #22 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I still haven't heard a solid solution as to how they would implement that securely without requiring installing apps for each user account or how they would use a single app installation per device that would infuse the proper user files as needed, or how they will prevent a major power and performance hit for keeping accounts and apps running on other users, like with OS X and Windows.
It is pretty obvious that the designers of iPad saw it as a personal device not a shared device. As such there is no clean way to multi users at this point in time.
Quote:
2) Perhaps the new Family Sharing plan is a step in that direction. Perhaps the longterm goal is to allow a single account with multiple users to use a single device interchangeably. If there is anything that I see that could lead to that solution I think that is it.
Frankly all the people whining about multiple users can dive head first into a frozen lake for all I care. The device simply was never designed for multiple users nor should it be upgraded to support multiple users.
Quote:
3) Even if you have Touch ID you would still need to have a username or avatar for each account because it's possible that there could be a duplicate for either the fingerprint or passcode used to secure the device.

The use of Touch ID just further highlights that these are devices designed for personal use.
post #23 of 114
Quote:

>Makes no sense you get the same powered tablet but smaller. Usually that means it should cost MORE.

>>Why? It’s the same chips. Buy in bulk, save money.

>>>The screen isn't the same, and it's smaller and considerably higher PPI, therefore like a more expensive component

Seems relevant to the ensuing discussion.

post #24 of 114
Quote:

I believe that while the componentry (screen aside) is the same, the mini is actually clocked lower for battery and heat dissipation reasons. 

You're correct. I just looked it up and it appears that the A7 in the Air is running at 1.4 Ghz, and the A7 in the Mini Retina is running at 1.3 Ghz, so a very small difference, but nonetheless a difference.

It seems that Apple is going to widen the gap further between the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini Retina 2, and I see no problems with that.

post #25 of 114

Rumor or not, more RAM would be useful.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 114
2Gigs of RAM is long overdue.
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Hello, side-by-side apps--on the Air 2, that is!

My thought exactly. The new improved multi tasking will benefit from more ram.

post #28 of 114
Quote:

Its not just about cost of making the Mini.

Then they should eliminate the iPad mini.

post #29 of 114

Add to the fact that Mini's already have much lower margins than Air.

Do we know that?

GAH, they call the big one ‘Air’ now, don’t they. That’s what you meant.

Still, if they wanted people to do that (they already do; the mini isn’t a mover), they wouldn’t have given them hardware parity right now. They did.

Seems relevant to the ensuing discussion.

Yeah, we’re not talking about the screen at all. It’s not relevant.

post #30 of 114
Quote:

Yeah, we’re not talking about the screen at all. It’s not relevant.

Yawn. We're talking about the differences between the Mini and Air. What they were, what they are, and what they may be. RAM might be the starting point of the conversation, but it's moved on to other areas.  Someone questioned why the smaller product would be cheaper rather than more expensive, you asked why, I provided an answer.

post #31 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Rumor or not, more RAM would be useful.

Agreed!
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #32 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Agreed!

+1, the only downside is what must be a practically immeasurable increase in CPU size, plus an increase in power requirements to actually use it. The former must be a non issue, the latter may be a consideration but probably not one that causes genuine problems with the battery size anticipated in the newer phones.

post #33 of 114

Quote:

Is it going to be easy?  Of course not.  That's part of delighting your user community.  Mask the complexity with a UI that just works.  Apple's been doing that for decades.  Remember, a touch screen phone without lag was hard too, not all that long ago.

Quote:

Why would you need one fingerprint tied to more than one profile (and you have 10)?  Also, OS X has had avatars for years, not sure why that's a big deal.  And, yes, you will still need a passcode for certain situations (iOS update, logging in after the device was powered off. etc.)  Not sure why that would be insurmountable, since we basically have that now. 

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #34 of 114
Quote:

+1, the only downside is what must be a practically immeasurable increase in CPU size, plus an increase in power requirements to actually use it. The former must be a non issue, the latter may be a consideration but probably not one that causes genuine problems with the battery size anticipated in the newer phones.

1) Is Apple using the latest RAM type for mobile devices?

2) Is Apple using the latest RAM lithography for mobile devices?

3) Are there any other advancements that would allow for doubling the RAM without causing the RAM to use more power.

4) With the PoP stacking the footprint could still be the same size even if the chip needs to be slightly thicker, which I think will still work in the iPad.

5) OT: The A7 has 6(?) MiB of RAM on the SoC. What is that for?

post #35 of 114
If true, this might also be related to the rumored larger iPhone. They might want to convince more to opt for a higher profit phone (with large screen) than a lower profit iPad (mini). This spacing of specs might cut out the blur between the two device families. A buyer of a larger-screened iPhone might see more use in the regular sized iPad this way.
post #36 of 114
Quote:

1) Is Apple using the latest RAM type for mobile devices?

2) Is Apple using the latest RAM lithography for mobile devices?

3) Are there any other advancements that would allow for doubling the RAM without causing the RAM to use more power.

4) With the PoP stacking the footprint could still be the same size even if the chip needs to be slightly thicker, which I think will still work in the iPad.

5) OT: The A7 has 6(?) MiB of RAM on the SoC. What is that for?

Who knows, hence "may be an issue but probably not" :) The point being that the decision on RAM for a device is highly possibly not actually a technical one, but one of positioning in the product line.  The best reason I can see for *not* giving us 2Gb now, is so we can have it next time. Tic toc etc, give them an easy win next time for the 6s etc...

post #37 of 114
We're talking about the differences between the Mini and Air. What they were, what they are, and what they may be.

See the title of the article? Does it mention the screen anywhere? Does Apple make an iPad mini without a screen? 

Glad we could clear that up. Talk about the topic of discussion or don’t be surprised when you get ignored like this.

post #38 of 114

It's worth noting that 95% of people probably have no idea how much RAM their device has, much like they have no clue what the CPU is clocked at.  Apple don't even list the data in the specifications.

post #39 of 114
It's worth noting that 95% of people probably have no idea how much RAM their device has, much like they have no clue what the CPU is clocked at.  Apple don't even list the data in the specifications.

They do, however, notice that ‘my model can’t run the newest game, but it just came out yesterday.’

post #40 of 114

Quote:

See the title of the article? Does it mention the screen anywhere? Does Apple make an iPad mini without a screen? 

Glad we could clear that up. Talk about the topic of discussion or don’t be surprised when you get ignored like this.

See the title of the article? Does it mention the iPad Mini anywhere? Get over yourself. 

Glad we could clear that up. Accept that other people might take the conversation in a different direction than you do, and that it's not your forum or don’t be surprised when you get replied to.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB