or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB

Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB - Page 3

post #81 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I couldn't care less how much RAM the new iPad has. I trust Apple to create the best experience possible.

My iPad 3 has 1 GB of RAM. I trust Apple's decisions up to a certain point, but I also trust my own experiences of course, and I do know that I would like more than 1 GB of RAM, since I have been using an iPad with 1 GB of RAM for quite some time now.

post #82 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude 

I'm not exactly sure of what you are getting at here... are you actually arguing for Apple to *raise* their prices on a product? 

I've argued numerous times in the past that Apple should raise their prices on certain products, so this wouldn't be the first time that I am making that argument.

As opposed to Android people, I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of person.

post #83 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've argued numerous times in the past that Apple should raise their prices on certain products, so this wouldn't be the first time that I am making that argument.

As opposed to Android people, I'm more of a quality over quantity kind of person.

I'm not against paying more for a better product, but that doesn't sound at all what you are advocating.  If Apple simply charged more for the mini without any changes to it, it would be just raising the price for no purpose other than profit.  Unless you are an investor in Apple or work at Apple (which probably would put you in the first category), I can't see why anyone would entertain that line of thought.

Quality over quantity is fine -- increased profits for the sake of increased profits is not.

post #84 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

Unless you are an investor in Apple or work at Apple (which probably would put you in the first category), I can't see why anyone would entertain that line of thought.

Quality over quantity is fine -- increased profits for the sake of increased profits is not.

Bingo. Like many other people on this forum, I'm not just a fan of Apple products, but I'm also an investor in Apple from time to time.

I want Apple to release killer products, so that I can personally enjoy them and use them, but I also want Apple as a company to make a killing, because that is also in my best interest.

post #85 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oberst-Gruppenführer, bitte.

Eigentlich, zur Zeit hab' Ich kein Kommentar ... |^_^|
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #86 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Eigentlich, zur Zeit hab' Ich kein Kommentar ... |^_^|

Das ist neu.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #87 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Das ist neu.

Na ja Frau General, du warst schön "in the house" 1smile.gif

<< Pass auf... "Fire in the hole" gleich ! >>

Edite: funny that this time auto-correction actually works... I'll let "schön" stand... !
Edited by ThePixelDoc - 8/21/14 at 12:26am
post #88 of 114
Quote:

You know, I’d say me, because the design of the uniforms are incredibly classy… I just can’t get over the pants. If I can wear pants that aren’t, well… THIS

then sure.

In both a literal and figurative sense, Keiner weiss wo dem Andern der Schuh drückt. Not that there would be pinching in those pants, per say…

We're. Talking. About. RAM. Chips.

Apparently.

No, carry on, no need to justify yourself...
post #89 of 114
Quote:

Edite: funny that this time auto-correction actually works... I'll let "schön" stand... !

I think it ought to work, after switching language. Something I do all the time. What Apple should do though, is keep the language setting on a per app basis. In Safari I mainly type in English, in SMS I usually type in Dutch and so on and so forth.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #90 of 114
Quote:

Quote:

Das ist neu.

Na ja Frau General, du warst schön "in the house" 1smile.gif

<< Pass auf... "Fire in the hole" gleich ! >>

Ich bin ein Englishman.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #91 of 114
Err no! I'm talking about devlopers that have ran into memory issues and are waiting on an IOS device with fewer limitations. The problem is that if that extra memory does come to AIR and only Air we then have a reduced market for these more demanding applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple's iOS developer guides have addressed development best practices and RAM considerations since the very beginning of the iOS platform, and Apple has given developers the developer tools to be aware of device resource usage. And iOS developers who formerly came from the world of Palm OS and Windows Mobile development have already been well trained in the art of memory management--at least the ones I've met. Now, undisciplined PC developers who have no experience writing mobile apps might be these allegedly "infuriated developers" that you're hypothesizing about.
post #92 of 114
Quote:

Yes, exactly, Safari, I've lost so many long posts in forums because I needed to answer a text in Viber or Skype, only to come back and Safari had refreshed the page.
Understand that I'm one that is chomping at the bit for more RAM, just realize that many of Safaris problems have nothing to do with RAM. Sadly even in the iOS betas it is demonstrating to have lots of bugs. The other thing is that sometimes Safari is doing the right thing with the reloads. I'm just afraid that people will go out and buy an iPad with 2GB of RAM expecting miracles.
Quote:

AppleInsider thankfully saw this shortcoming and saves your work. Other sites aren't so considered. I now use Office to draft my posts when using my iPad. I mostly use my Nokia 2520 to surf as I prefer a desktop browser to mobile.

It is my understanding that Appl has merged the desktop and mobile code the best they can. So we can expect similar behaviors between the two browsers. At least on iPAd. The problem is Safari on the desktop behaves very similarly to Safair on iPad (running both betas).

Don't get me wrong, Safari is vastly improved in both cases. Vastly improved though is far from perfect.
post #93 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I got the sense that Apple will allow a split screen multi-tasking in the iOS8, if so, that alone should call for more RAM. Especially since RAM is about $11 per Gb.
It is probably even less for Apple. Generally you get your discounts based on volume and I can't imagine anybody buying more cell phone RAM than Apple right now.
Quote:
What I never heard discussed is whether Apple essentially doubled all the RAM when they went to 64-bit architecture. (16Gb of 32 bit words = 8 Gb of 64 bit words.)

I'm not sure what you are asking here. The iPad shipped with the same amount of RAM. If you are asking about data path width then i don't know for sure. However I believe it is the same as on the iPhones.
post #94 of 114
Quote:

Wilkommen to AI, Fraulein Relic! My German's a little rusty.

At least you have German to get rusty. Wizard is just rusty from old age.

All my knowledge of German has come from trying to read manuals, code and prints for machines sourced in Germany. It is amazing what one can accomplish with Google translate.
post #95 of 114
Quote:

Ich bin ein Englishman.

...und Ich bin kein Berliner... so what does that have to do with anything since I was replying to Relic???

...the real thing...

post #96 of 114
^^^^^ Berliner post above ^^^^^

...and now you learned why every German chuckles every time a tourist says "Ich bin ein Berliner", when quoting the late great President JFK... 1smile.gif
post #97 of 114
Quote:

My iPad 3 has 1 GB of RAM. I trust Apple's decisions up to a certain point,
Trust nothing human. Apple is ran by humans thus can not be trusted.
Quote:

but I also trust my own experiences of course, and I do know that I would like more than 1 GB of RAM, since I have been using an iPad with 1 GB of RAM for quite some time now.

For many things you don't need the RAM as the vast majority of apps run fine. It is only when you try to do certain things or use demanding apps that you have problems.

However if you are like me, I assume you are as we both are running iPad 3's, you buy hardware expecting to hang on to it for awhile. So at this point in time we are at the point where more RAM will be needed if you expect to keep the your next purchase for awhile.

This isn't much different than what you see with MAC Book Pros. I purchased one with 2GB of RAM in 2008 which was great for the time. Today there is no way I'd recommend that little RAM in a Mac Book of any type. You would want to buy enough for now and to keep you good into the future and your next update.

I'm certain that More RAM will solve some of the issues talked about here. But the bigger iipssue in my mind is that it makes the purchase viable for a few more years than it would be otherwise.
post #98 of 114
Quote:

The problem here is that a random price increase here or there do nothing for quality. In some cases it can actually lower quality. That would happen by lowering volume and under utilizing your production infrastructure.
post #99 of 114
I'm glad you aren't running Apple!
Quote:

Bingo. Like many other people on this forum, I'm not just a fan of Apple products, but I'm also an investor in Apple from time to time.
If so you must be aware of what has happened to Apple in the past when they tried to sell overpriced hardware.
Quote:
I want Apple to release killer products, so that I can personally enjoy them and use them, but I also want Apple as a company to make a killing, because that is also in my best interest.

They are already making a killing. More so there are clear indicators that some of Apples products are grossly over priced which has artificially cooled demand for iPad Air and other products. It is difficult to find the optimum price for hardware but I think Apple is in danger of repeating the mistakes of the past. The scale has certainly tipped in the direction of consumer dissatisfaction with Apple hardware pricing.
post #100 of 114
Quote:

Apple made over $7B in profit last quarter. How is that not making a killing?

Here are two comments - one from Cook and one from Ive about what Apple's goals are.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-06/tim-cooks-freshman-year-the-apple-ceo-speaks
Quote:
"You know, we want to really enrich people’s lives at the end of the day, not just make money. Making money might be a byproduct, but it’s not our North Star."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/30/jonathan-ive-revenue-good-design
Quote:
"We are really pleased with our revenues but our goal isn't to make money. It sounds a little flippant, but it's the truth. Our goal and what makes us excited is to make great products. If we are successful people will like them and if we are operationally competent, we will make money."

Edited by Rogifan - 8/21/14 at 5:04am
post #101 of 114
Quote:

But the only way Apple can fund its massive research and pay its employees top dollar IS to make big profits.

Its a cycle.

Apple financial success and stock success leads to product success.  Look at Apple's profit margins.  They are NOT that abusive.  I think Microsoft and Google have higher profit margins.

I'm willing to pay EXTRA to get QUALITY.  And to make sure we have choices.  If Apple lost its profit power than Google/Amazon/Samsung would quickly take over and we would be forced to buy JUNK.

post #102 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm glad you aren't running Apple!
If so you must be aware of what has happened to Apple in the past when they tried to sell overpriced hardware.

They are already making a killing. More so there are clear indicators that some of Apples products are grossly over priced which has artificially cooled demand for iPad Air and other products. It is difficult to find the optimum price for hardware but I think Apple is in danger of repeating the mistakes of the past. The scale has certainly tipped in the direction of consumer dissatisfaction with Apple hardware pricing.

That is an all out LIE.

Total BS.  I've owned both Apple iPad/iPhone and Android tablets and phones.  You get what you pay for.  PERIOD.

Just from resale alone the iOS devices are a better value.

iPad sales are down only 2% if you compare the last 4 quarters with the previous 4. 

You forget to mention that in the all important Christmas Quarter last year iPad units went up 13.5% YoY.

iPad owners only upgrade every 4 or 5 years.  We are still in a lull where the iPad 3/4 owners are waiting to upgrade.  In the next 2 years I can almost guarantee we will see 20-30% unit growth as those users upgrade.

post #103 of 114
Quote:

Quote:

Ich bin ein Englishman.

...und Ich bin kein Berliner... so what does that have to do with anything since I was replying to Relic???

...the real thing...

You were using German, the language of Bach.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #104 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

My iPad 3 has 1 GB of RAM. I trust Apple's decisions up to a certain point,
Trust nothing human. Apple is ran by humans thus can not be trusted.
Quote:

but I also trust my own experiences of course, and I do know that I would like more than 1 GB of RAM, since I have been using an iPad with 1 GB of RAM for quite some time now.

For many things you don't need the RAM as the vast majority of apps run fine. It is only when you try to do certain things or use demanding apps that you have problems.

However if you are like me, I assume you are as we both are running iPad 3's, you buy hardware expecting to hang on to it for awhile. So at this point in time we are at the point where more RAM will be needed if you expect to keep the your next purchase for awhile.

This isn't much different than what you see with MAC Book Pros. I purchased one with 2GB of RAM in 2008 which was great for the time. Today there is no way I'd recommend that little RAM in a Mac Book of any type. You would want to buy enough for now and to keep you good into the future and your next update.

I'm certain that More RAM will solve some of the issues talked about here. But the bigger iipssue in my mind is that it makes the purchase viable for a few more years than it would be otherwise.

Was 2GB the max in 2008 for the MacBook Pro? Seems small. But you make a good point about going for the most. I specced out my 2008 iMac and it's still purring happily with 4GB. I need a 3TB iMac if I want all my DVDs on it; yes, I know I could just use an external drive, but I don't want to split up iTunes.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #105 of 114
Here's what I think

iPhone 6(s) or Pro = New A8 CPU/RAM configuration
iPhone 6(c) or Mini = Previous A7 CPU/RAM configuration (5s)
IPad Pro = New A8 CPU/RAM configuration
iPad Air / Mini = Previous A7 CPU/RAM configuration

Fits the naming scheme of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

Ultimately Apple shouldn't rebrand a product and not change the underlying specs, but there's already some brand confusion with just "iPad" due to the first three versions being called "iPad, iPad 2, The new iPad" , in fact I was confused that there was even a new model after the 3rd generation, as I didn't know if they had upgraded the iPad or replaced it with the mini.
post #106 of 114
Quote:

Sie oder mich, stimme ich mit Ihnen.

Are you from Suisse romande?

post #107 of 114
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post
We're. Talking. About. RAM. Chips.

JAWOHL, MEIN FÜHRER!

You just don’t get it, do you?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #108 of 114
Quote:

JAWOHL, MEIN FÜHRER!

You just don’t get it, do you?

Apparently not. Seems my comprehension is inversely proportional to your lack of any clarity, consistency or cogent conversation.
Edited by stuffe - 8/21/14 at 11:00am
post #109 of 114
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post
Seems my comprehension is inversely proportional to…

To something, at least. Learn what context is.

post #110 of 114
Quote:

To something, at least. Learn what context is.
Sublimely ironic, please tell me this was on purpose by way of showing how it's not done.
post #111 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What would be nice - if Touch ID is introduced along with seamless multi-user experience on iPad - personalized folders, mail boxes, preferences, etc.

Not sure if Apple is going to do that ever as they would prefer each family member to own a separate iPad.

iOS wasn't developed with multi-user in mind.  It'll need a major redesign of iOS to support multi-user natively.  Maybe the merge of iOS with OSX will provide smooth multi-user experience.  We'll have to wait and see.

post #112 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

What would be nice - if Touch ID is introduced along with seamless multi-user experience on iPad - personalized folders, mail boxes, preferences, etc.

Not sure if Apple is going to do that ever as they would prefer each family member to own a separate iPad.

iOS wasn't developed with multi-user in mind.  It'll need a major redesign of iOS to support multi-user natively.  Maybe the merge of iOS with OSX will provide smooth multi-user experience.  We'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #113 of 114
Quote:

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Really, I don't know about that, it would seem more than advantages for Apple to support multi-user if they are serious about Enterprise. 

post #114 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Are you from Suisse romande?

I was born in Luzern but my parents are from Disentis so is 3/4 of my family, which is the Rätoromanisch part of Switzerland and I also have a winter home their, because it's the best skiing in the world and my mom cooks. So yes in a way I am, but my Rätoromanisch isn't the best, I can read and write it pretty good, I speak German, Italian, French and English a lot more proficiently, well duh German, but you get the point.

Edit: Oh my gosh I just noticed the sentence after your username, where are you from, Germany, I know there are still places in the Black Forest that still speak the original Roman dialect, oh wait, you said Agri Decumates, which can be a lot of things, let me guess, hhhmmmm Stugart, no, no Frankfurt, am I close.

Edited by Relic - 8/21/14 at 4:26pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to bump 'iPad Air 2' RAM to 2GB, keep second-gen Retina iPad mini at 1GB