or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

post #1 of 119
A batch of photos out of Asia on Wednesday supposedly reveal a rear shell bound for Apple's "iPhone 6" and show a direct comparison between another alleged handset part.

Purportedly coming from a source "deep within Apple's supply chain," the images posted to evasi0njailbreak.com are claimed to be some of the first to show Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 aluminum chassis. Until now, most unconfirmed parts leaks have been related to the 4.7-inch next-generation handset.

As seen in the photo above, which highlights the disparity the two "leaked" parts' sizes, Apple's "phablet" device design could resemble an enlarged version of the 4.7-inch iPhone revamp. The same hallmarks are present in both variants, including rounded edges, recessed volume controls, side-mounted sleep/wake button and thin profile.

By itself, the alleged 5.5-inch iPhone 6 rear shell bears the same machining marks, anchors and screw bosses seen on previous parts said to be bound for the 4.7-inch version. The larger shell also features an Apple logo cutout that will presumably be filled with a radio transparent material for better signal transmission, an engineering design first seen in the iPad mini with Retina display.

Not much is known about the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, though recent reports claim the unit will sport a 2,915mAh battery to help power the larger display and advanced internals. In late July, a parts leak supposedly pictured the phablet's sleep/wake and volume control flex cables and offered a glimpse at the device's size.

Apple is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone at a media event on Sept. 9, though the date has yet to be confirmed by the company. Speculation has pointed toward the release of both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes, though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.
post #2 of 119
For Sog

1387245361916.gif
post #3 of 119

Interested to see how the usual suspects spin and deny it this time.

Remember when it was reported that the 4.7 would ramp up production in mid July while the 5.5 would ramp up production in mid August, due to the expected lower demand and thus needing less time to produce the phone before launch? Here you go.

post #4 of 119
Give me Touch ID and 2G ram and NFC on some level and and and.... I'll be mostly set.
post #5 of 119
I was really hoping Apple wouldn't copy Samsung and the phablet trend. Sigh.
post #6 of 119

Turnabout is FairPlay, ay Rogifan?

Or are you just throwing a hook & worm in the water...

post #7 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Turnabout is FairPlay, ay Rogifan?

Or are you just throwing a hook & worm in the water...
I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?
post #8 of 119
Agree, those plastic bands better be for some useful purpose... Maybe an embedded antennae for cellular and nfc or something.

But really, who cares since almost everyone is covering their phone with a case...

I love my credit card slot case and the only way my case becomes obsolete: saphire scratch and crack-proof screen, dent-proof metal body, nfc credit card capability, and drivers licenses, ID's etc that become apple compatible.

I bet i have to wait about 10 more years for "cards" to finally dissapear... Maybe longer depending on the politics of it.
post #9 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

I have a Note 2 and can use it comfortably in one hand. I can even type comfortably with one hand. It fits in my pockets just fine. 

Now, I'm a relatively tall guy. But I see smaller guys and gals use them too, mostly pretty proficiently with one hand too. And sometimes... they use two hands... because they aren't hung up on using it with one hand. It doesn't bother them to do so. Hell, even when I had the tiny iPhone 3GS, I would still type with two hands most of the time just because it's so much faster than typing with one hand.

post #10 of 119
Hmmmmm. This will be a tough decision which to get... Can't wait til the 9th to hear the specs.
post #11 of 119

Rogifan- You can make it work with one hand, as long as it's not TOO big. Just gotta put all the most used 'buttons' within the radius of a thumb from one of the lower corners. 

I don't think I'd go for the 5.5" (assuming it exists). However, using a BT would enable one to not look like they're holding a tablet to their head while on the phone!

post #12 of 119

I never thought I'd say but I'll probably wait for the 5.5". I never really saw much of a difference going from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5S. I think I'll definitely notice the difference going from a 4" to a 5.5". I mostly use two hands anyways with my 5S to type so I won't have a problem with finger reach. I can sit on my big-ass under my big-ass fan with my big-ass phone doing internet searches for big-ass women

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #13 of 119

The 5.5 will be for those who struggle with technology and need big buttons, who don't mind looking like a dork when making phone calls, who never carry anything in their other hand, who can't afford an iPad and who are female and keep their phone in their handbag.

Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/20/14 at 5:17pm
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #14 of 119
Quote:

I’m with you. Of course the tech weenie wannabes want to lug around behemoths in order to prop up their egos but they have not been Apple’s target audience in the past. I, for one, will not be buying some giant piece of crap. I was hoping this would be the year my wife and I finally moved from plain old mobile phones to iPhones. Alas it is apparently not to be, and we will not buy last years models. So I guess I’ll have to settle for an Android device of some sort that can be used with one hand. It won’t be an iPhone and it won’t run iOS but I’ll learn to live with it.

post #15 of 119
Like i've been saying for months.
5.5 is real.

Some one lost a bet to me and cant post for 3 months.
Apple is out for blood against Samsung and bringing the 5.5 is the death blow.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #16 of 119
OK, I called it here. It's obvious now that the small strips at the top and bottom are recessed, so that the protruding camera lens doesn't go above the level of the main part of the back. The plastic strips must go around the entire shoulder of that raised portion, so as to receive signals from all directions. This applies to both sizes.

Edited for clarity.
post #17 of 119
On a side note, it's actually kind of amusing to watch people post who are so insecure that they feel like they have to insult those who want a larger device. The existence of this phone doesn't make your own life worse in any way. You're not the target audience. There is a smaller device for you, and with reduced bezel it doesn't even have to be much larger in width and height than the existing 4 inch model. 1smile.gif
post #18 of 119
I hope those fugly bands are not in the final product or if they are they don't look that fugly.
post #19 of 119
Quote:

I hope those fugly bands are not in the final product or if they are they don't look that fugly.

Maybe there's a color option where they're less visible, or maybe in the final product the way internals are arranged make them less obvious. Or maybe they do something cool like glow to function as notification leds.
post #20 of 119

I still don't believe it is really happening.

But if it does, I want one.

post #21 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Interested to see how the usual suspects spin and deny it this time.

Remember when it was reported that the 4.7 would ramp up production in mid July while the 5.5 would ramp up production in mid August, due to the expected lower demand and thus needing less time to produce the phone before launch? Here you go.

Deny what? Here go what? This is an image from Asia. We seem to get a few real ones and plenty of fake ones every year but the only constant is that nothing is certain until Apple makes it certain.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #22 of 119
Quote:

I heard a rumor that the final bands light up from LEDs in the phone while in use, with the color programmable like those Phillips LED bulbs. The same guy told me the feature will only be on the larger phone, with the smaller phone gaps filled in with common tile grout. Who is this guy? I met him in a bar, and that's a pretty reliable source.

post #23 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Quote:

I heard a rumor that the final bands light up from LEDs in the phone while in use, with the color programmable like those Phillips LED bulbs. The same guy told me the feature will only be on the larger phone, with the smaller phone gaps filled in with common tile grout. Who is this guy? I met him in a bar, and that's a pretty reliable source.

Yeah, well the guy I met at the bus stop said the plastic strips were to allow NSA eavesdropping and to admit their signals to your phone so as to generate signals with it to control your brainwaves. And he was pretty high-up n the organization—they don't give that metal headgear to just anybody, you know!
post #24 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Deny what? Here go what? This is an image from Asia. We seem to get a few real ones and plenty of fake ones every year but the only constant is that nothing is certain until Apple makes it certain.

Sure, it could just be something that someone mocked up to scam bloggers with. I don't find that especially likely though. It's too precisely machined to have been made by hand and it lines up too well with other pictures and information. Not to mention, what does someone in China have to gain by going to all this effort to pull one over on bloggers in Europe and the United States? Supposing they somehow used the machinery at the factory where they worked just to sell a fake exclusive for a few bucks, and did so without being caught, they'd be blacklisted by their journalist / analyst contacts so it'd be a one time thing.

Occam's Razor suggests it's real.
post #25 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.

Bollocks. It will be a marketing decision. Sell everyone a 4.7"phone then make them so envious a few months later that half will upgrade to 5.5".

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #26 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

though recent rumors have said the larger version could be delayed due to production issues.
Bollocks. It will be a marketing decision. Sell everyone a 4.7"phone then make them so envious a few months later that half will upgrade to 5.5".

Yep. ...er, no.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #27 of 119
Amazing that these "leaks" happen on a daily basis considering how locked-down Apple is. I consider these mostly Apple sponsored leaks. I say this because in the all the hype/predictions around the so-called iWatch not one single image has leaked. Nothing, zip, nada. And you know they have manufactured thousands of the things in some form or another to do test runs. Probably in the 100's of thousands. Yet not a single credible image has appeared anywhere. Pretty amazing when you think about it because the iWatch has to be the most sought after pre-announced, pre-production device on the planet.
post #28 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanthology View Post

Amazing that these "leaks" happen on a daily basis considering how locked-down Apple is. I consider these mostly Apple sponsored leaks. I say this because in the all the hype/predictions around the so-called iWatch not one single image has leaked. Nothing, zip, nada. And you know they have manufactured thousands of the things in some form or another to do test runs. Probably in the 100's of thousands. Yet not a single credible image has appeared anywhere. Pretty amazing when you think about it because the iWatch has to be the most sought after pre-announced, pre-production device on the planet.

I believe this as well. Apple is making people aware that larger iPhones are finally coming, so that people who might otherwise jump ship or just go in for their next replacement Android phone think about it and wait.
post #29 of 119
Quote:

Unless, of course, the iWatch is an iUnicorn.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #30 of 119
Quote:

I do it everyday. Not a problem at all. The future is this and around this size phone. Soon,meaning in a few more years, every phone will be 4.5 or larger. You'll have no choice.

It's a smart device now. Not just a phone. It'll run everything from your car to your house to you work to everything. It's going to be the hub of your life.
post #31 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:

I do it everyday. Not a problem at all. The future is this and around this size phone. Soon,meaning in a few more years, every phone will be 4.5 or larger. You'll have no choice.

It's a smart device now. Not just a phone. It'll run everything from your car to your house to you work to everything. It's going to be the hub of your life.

Why can't it do all that in a usable size? And a usable aspect ratio like 4:3, while we're at it?
post #32 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Why can't it do all that in a usable size? And a usable aspect ratio like 4:3, while we're at it?

Because there are a ton of people who want a bigger screen to do more. I hear it everyday when I ask why they are choosing a larger screen phone such as the Note 3 or LG G3. The single most common answer is because of the screen size.
post #33 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:

Because there are a ton of people who want a bigger screen to do more. I hear it everyday when I ask why they are choosing a larger screen phone such as the Note 3 or LG G3. The single most common answer is because of the screen size.

Yeah, well, every day somebody on the bus pulls out one of these tombstones and holds it up to their head, and everybody else rolls their eyes and smirks at them behind their backs. We're doing it because they look like total retards. Make no mistake, we're laughing at them because they're idiots and they look like idiots and they apparently want to look like idiots.
post #34 of 119
Quote:

Yeah, well, every day somebody on the bus pulls out one of these tombstones and holds it up to their head, and everybody else rolls their eyes and smirks at them behind their backs. We're doing it because they look like total retards. Make no mistake, we're laughing at them because they're idiots and they look like idiots and they apparently want to look like idiots.

So why is EVERY OEM now including Apple making this size phone? You need to stop judging people with what they want or have and worry about yourself.

If you really understood the mobile industry as a whole and how it's transforming over the next five years maybe, just maybe you'll understand why this is happening. Step outside of your small box and look at the bigger picture.
post #35 of 119
You can't compare the iPhone to the iwatch. It is expected that Apple is producing somewhere between 60 and 75 million iPhones. That is a huge number of units in the supply chain. This is being announced in September and will be on sale in September. That is why there are so many part leaks.

There is no date for the iwatch yet. There are not hundreds of thousands made. There could be a surprise, but all the rumors seem to say that they are still working on the final design and having trouble to finalize. I am certain that a month before lunch you will see parts start to pop up. Either way that will be easier to control as there will be far less contract suppliers and just a few million units.
post #36 of 119
Quote:

When you manufacture 1 million phones/day in several factories simultaneously on other continents, leaks will happen. When you control small test batches of a new iWatch, leaks are rare because so few people are even getting their hands on it. This time next year we will be seeing leaked 2nd gen iWatch photos like crazy but not now. Enjoy the secrecy while it lasts.
post #37 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I’m with you. Of course the tech weenie wannabes want to lug around behemoths in order to prop up their egos but they have not been Apple’s target audience in the past. I, for one, will not be buying some giant piece of crap. I was hoping this would be the year my wife and I finally moved from plain old mobile phones to iPhones. Alas it is apparently not to be, and we will not buy last years models. So I guess I’ll have to settle for an Android device of some sort that can be used with one hand. It won’t be an iPhone and it won’t run iOS but I’ll learn to live with it.

Considering the  size and shape of the displays we've seen leaked, I would guess the new 4.7" iPhone will be about 1/4" wider and 1/2" taller than the existing iPhone 5s.  Not so gigantic.  And it's probably not much heavier than the 4" models, which are pretty light (100gms).

post #38 of 119

I find it crazy how people don't want others to have what they don't like....

It's ok if You  don't want a 5.5" iPhone, but I Want a 5.5" iPhone. 

I don't want to carry an iPad mini and an iPhone. Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

I have used the 6" Nokia 1520 for a couple weeks just to check it out and I was in LOVE with that screen.

I could text on the 6" monster, one handed, due to swipe keyboard, 

Most people tap out texts using Both hand on an iPhone because its 2x faster since it Doesn't have swipe, yet. 

5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

Some people want apple to stay at 3.5-4", fine, you can have that, but give me my 5.5" too.

iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" YES!
post #39 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

I find it crazy how people don't want others to have what they don't like....

It's ok if You  don't want a 5.5" iPhone, but I Want a 5.5" iPhone. 
I don't want to carry an iPad mini and an iPhone. Too much trouble switching back and forth. 

I have used the 6" Nokia 1520 for a couple weeks just to check it out and I was in LOVE with that screen.
I could text on the 6" monster, one handed, due to swipe keyboard, 

Most people tap out texts using Both hand on an iPhone because its 2x faster since it Doesn't have swipe, yet. 
5.5" will be prefect. Nice size screen, easy to use one handed, it will be awesome. 

Some people want apple to stay at 3.5-4", fine, you can have that, but give me my 5.5" too.
here 5.5"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #40 of 119
Quote:

Don't buy that one then. Choice is good.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model