or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model - Page 3

post #81 of 119
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

tens of millions of people prefer.

Nice to see you’ve backed it down instantaneously. Can we go for hundreds of thousands now? You know, like a real number would be?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #82 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I didn't think the numbers were so high for smaller Android devices and that's Google's own data:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/16/phablet-smartphone-tablet-sales-growing-apple-missing-out-canalys

Something doesn't add up here though. Canalys says there that 1/3 of devices sold now are above 5" and we're always reading reports about how current Android sales share is 80% or more but according to Google's data, they aren't eroding the install base of small devices. How can so many people be buying large devices (anything above 4.2-4.5") and Google doesn't know about it?

It looks like phablet phandom has just gotten started in which case Apple isn't really late to the party. I also suspect it's a passing phad. People will realise how unpleasant they are to live with and migrate back to more usable device sizes.

These shells also look fake. Why do they have 3 holes at the camera location now? There's still no explanation for the Apple cutout either. Why cut out the logo when there's plastic antenna bands? The battery takes up most of the back.

The difference comes in when you separate Android phones into the premium high end tier vs the endless flood of low end cheap crap. There are no phablet devices in the cheap tier at all, except for older prior-year models. They are exclusively in the upper tier, where they make up a fairly sizeable amount of the phones sold in that tier.
post #83 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nice to see you’ve backed it down instantaneously. Can we go for hundreds of thousands now? You know, like a real number would be?

Samsung sold 38 million Note1 and Note2 POS phones as of 11 months ago

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/samsung-reports-38-million-galaxy-notes-sold/

Shamdung fools 10 million idiots to buy POS Note3

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-boasts-10-million-units-sold-20131210/

Samsung sold more than 40 million steamy pile of crap S4 POS

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-has-sold-more-than-40-million-units-of-the-Samsung-Galaxy-S4_id48650

Samdung sold 11 million POS S5

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-sales-2014-5

38+10+40+11 = 98,000,000

Now add LG's, Xiaomi, Sony 5+ inch phones and you get well over 100,000,000

I know what you will say.

"I don't believe it since those figures are not in the audited financials"

No other company releases unit figures in their public filings except Apple.  If that's your standard of proof than Apple has sold 100% of the smartphones on the planet since they are the only one who reports these on their SEC filings.  But Samsung PUBLICLY reporting unit sales in a press conference is as good proof you can get short of a public filling.  If those public statements are proven false Samsung investors can sue the living sheet out of the company.  And you bet they would since the stock is in the crapper right now.

Keep in mind what Apple does is very unusual.  Hardly any company reports unit sales each quarter in their SEC filings.

McDonalds does not report total burgers sold in their 10-Q

Coca Cola does not report total cans sold

Levi's does not report number of Jeans

ect, ect, ect.

But if you make a press release like Shamesung did its pretty solid.  Since if its proven to be materially wrong investors can sue the living snot out of the company.

Edited by sog35 - 8/21/14 at 11:08am
post #84 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesv View Post

Except " all other phones that large" won't be as thin as the next iPhones. Making the iPhone at them sizes the first to be able to use COMFORTABLY......with 1 hand!

As someone who uses a Note 3, I can tell you it's not the thickness of the phone that impacts one-handed usability. Its the width. If this phone had no bezels around the screen it would become much more usable. If it was half as thick, it would still be just as difficult to use with one hand. That's not to say it's impossible to use with one hand. I do it all the time. Two hands is definitely easier though.
post #85 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

Fortunately for me, I have 2 hands.  I am glad to see some leak parts of the 5.5", its the model I want.

post #86 of 119
Quote:

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

A DSLR is better than my iPhone camera- does that mean i should lug it around everywhere?  Yes- a very mobile phone is better than a larger phone, and an iPad is better for screen-usage than an iPhone also.

But why not just have a tiny little razor and an iPad everywhere you go- with that philosophy?  Why have an iPhone at all?

I'd rather carry one device and have it do both things "well enough"- even if it's not "the best" for all situations.  Hence- my DSLR reference.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #87 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

You're too easily baited dude,

Benjamin is the master of baiting.... 

post #88 of 119

38+10+40+11 = 98,000,000

None of those numbers are legitimate, as they are unproven. Additionally, that’s “sold”. Use of devices show that no one is actually using them.

Yes, I said it. Know why? Because you’d have to be an idiot to believe otherwise. Samsung publicly saying something is meaningless. THEY HAVE BEEN EXPLICITLY CAUGHT LYING ABOUT SALES IN THE PAST. They are COMPLETELY untrustworthy.

post #89 of 119

I'd have to hold both in my hand before deciding, but the 4.7" alone is a lot less likely to get me out of my Galaxy S5, especially if it is saddled with 1gb of RAM.

post #90 of 119
Quote:

None of those numbers are legitimate, as they are unproven. Additionally, that’s “sold”. Use of devices show that no one is actually using them.

Yes, I said it. Know why? Because you’d have to be an idiot to believe otherwise. Samsung publicly saying something is meaningless. THEY HAVE BEEN EXPLICITLY CAUGHT LYING ABOUT SALES IN THE PAST. They are COMPLETELY untrustworthy.

So what possible proof are you looking for?

Your standard of proof is impossible.

And when did Samsung lie about units shipped?

post #91 of 119

So what possible proof are you looking for?

Well, seeing an amount of said devices in use to give weight your claims would be nice. We just aren’t seeing that.

Your standard of proof is impossible.

Mmm… no, since we can pretty easily see what devices are and aren’t in use.

post #92 of 119
Quote:

Well, seeing an amount of said devices in use to give weight your claims would be nice. We just aren’t seeing that.

Mmm… no, since we can pretty easily see what devices are and aren’t in use.

Samsung handsets top iPhone for global Internet usage

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-handsets-top-iphone-for-global-internet-usage/

post #93 of 119
Quote:

Samsung handsets top iPhone for global Internet usage

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-handsets-top-iphone-for-global-internet-usage/

And Nokia wasn't far behind with nearly 22% of the internet traffic? Seems a bit off to me. Since they are talking about devices, I wonder what the per device average is. It clearly has to be much lower for Samsung as they sell a lot more units than Apple since they mostly sell in the budget range.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #94 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And Nokia wasn't far behind with nearly 22% of the internet traffic? Seems a bit off to me. Since they are talking about devices, I wonder what the per device average is. It clearly has to be much lower for Samsung as they sell a lot more units than Apple since they mostly sell in the budget range.

According to Tallest Ski Samsung has not sold even 1 phone since they don't release unit figures on their financials

post #95 of 119
Quote:

According to Tallest Ski Samsung has not sold even 1 phone since they don't release unit figures on their financials

I have no idea what he wrote but of course he believes they'd sold at least phone. He's seen at least one Samsung handset. What I assume he's questioning is the number of handsets, which can't be verified simply because they don't list units in a transparent manner.

post #96 of 119

I could while away the hours,

Conferrin’ with the flowers,

Consultin' with the rain.

And my head I'd be scratchin'

while my thoughts were busy hatchin’

If I only…

post #97 of 119
Quote:

I have no idea what he wrote but of course he believes they'd sold at least phone. He's seen at least one Samsung handset. What I assume he's questioning is the number of handsets, which can't be verified simply because they don't list units in a transparent manner.

Just look at their profits in 2012/2013

You don't make $20,000,000,000 a year selling refridgerators

post #98 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

its so sad that people can't admit that the 5.5 is coming.

the lack of vision is astounding.

i mean really. how much more proof do you need?

For me it would be Tim Cook holding one up at the key note or perhaps Gizmodo stealing one.

I'm not inclined to put my faith in thieves.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #99 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

Soon as that 5.5 comes out I will turn into a "Currernt iPhone Owner"!

No you won't; you can't change your user name here.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #100 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

You're too easily baited dude,
Benjamin is the master of baiting.... 

Kind words, but I hand it to you as the master baiter of AI...
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 8/21/14 at 3:58pm
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #101 of 119
Quote:

And when did Samsung lie about units shipped?

When they were forced to reveal their numbers in a court of law. I can't remember the exact figures, but I think the difference between the published figure and the actual figure was between a factor of 10 and 100 against Samsung's favour. It was a seismic disparity that was well publicised by Apple Insider at the time.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #102 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

When they were forced to reveal their numbers in a court of law. I can't remember the exact figures, but I think the difference between the published figure and the actual figure was between a factor of 10 and 100 against Samsung's favour. It was a seismic disparity that was well publicised by Apple Insider at the time.

Show proof.  There is no proof.

It was Strategic Analytics that published the false tablet sales not Samsung.

Strategic Analytics said Samsung sold 2 million tablets in a quarter in 2011.  The truth was Samsung SHIPPED 2 million tablets.

Strategic Analytics were proven as liars not Samsung.  If Samsung made an official announcement of unit sales and LIED shareholders would sue the living sh1t out of them.  If Samsung lied in a material manner regarding their 100 million galaxy phone sales they would risk losing tens of billions in lawsuits for misleading investors.

Again if Samsung did not sell 100 million galaxy phones how the hell did they make $20,000,000,000 in profits in 2013?

post #103 of 119

Samsung sold 200,000,000 Galaxy phones 

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-200-million-galaxy-s-sales-2014-2

The proof is undeniable.

People want large phones.

post #104 of 119
Quote:

Samsung sold 200,000,000 Galaxy phones 
http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-200-million-galaxy-s-sales-2014-2

The proof is undeniable.
People want large phones.

How the hell do you come up with these conclusions. Galaxy phones does not mean just the Galaxy S and Note series.

That's a big fucking phone alight¡

edit: I see, you oddly didn't write Galaxy S which completely altered your statement.

So how do you explain the iPhone having sold twice as many units as the Galaxy S, that smaller cellphones trump all larger cell phones in unit sales, and Google's very own stats about the number of users with devices over 4.5" (and I'm giving you a lot of leeway there because those Large devices could be as small as 4.2" according to the stupid methodology Google uses)?

Edited by SolipsismX - 8/21/14 at 9:15pm

post #105 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Look troll. You already stated you wanted Nothing to do with this phone because even the 4.7" is too big for your tiny hands. SO shut up. No one cares what you think. You sit in moms basement and troll these forums 24/7. 

No one has to be 6'7" to want a bigger phone. 

I have used ALL kinds of phones from 2.1" to 6" phones because I enjoy things that light up and beep. 5.5" will be perfectly usable 1 handed by everyone, well, other than you and your tiny tiny hands. 

Don't you realize that there was a Fatwa issued against large phones by the forum Ayatollah.    We are not allowed to prefer a large screen/photo because the 5S was the perfect size (and before that the 4S).    That was the size that God (SJ) said was perfect and there can be no change. 

post #106 of 119
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post
Don't you realize that there was a Fatwa issued against large phones by the forum Ayatollah.    We are not allowed to prefer a large screen/photo because the 5S was the perfect size (and before that the 4S).    That was the size that God (SJ) said was perfect and there can be no change. 

You wanna keep the FUD to a minimum, please?

post #107 of 119
Quote:

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

But where is it stated that handoff will work iOS <> iOS? All I've seen is OSX <> iOS. Correction: OSX <> iPhone/iPad. No AppleTV anywhere mentioned, iPod touch I'm 'out of touch with'.

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/Handoff/HandoffFundamentals/HandoffFundamentals.html

Quote:

Hmm, the 4.2-7" models are dropping sales numbers (Jan 2014 - May 2014) and the overal >7" is declining as well. Proof there won't be a 5.5 iPhone after all ¡

Even though a possible 5.5" iPhone won't be my preference, I sure hope they'll release it, just to stop seeing pages like these:

I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #108 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Even though a possible 5.5" iPhone won't be my preference, I sure hope they'll release it, just to stop seeing pages like these:

:lol: Good to know I'm not the only one!

censored

censored

post #109 of 119
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
But where is it stated that handoff will work iOS <> iOS? All I've seen is OSX <> iOS. Correction: OSX <> iPhone/iPad. No AppleTV anywhere mentioned, iPod touch I'm 'out of touch with'.

I’ve heard iPhone <–> iPad, iPhone <–> Mac, and Mac <–> Mac. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be iPad <–> iPad and iPhone <–> iPhone, too.

post #110 of 119
Quote:

I’ve heard iPhone <–> iPad, iPhone <–> Mac, and Mac <–> Mac. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be iPad <–> iPad and iPhone <–> iPhone, too.

Any idea where you heard Mac <-> Mac?  I've only heard Mac <-> iPhone/iPad.

Handoff is even advertised as a Mac to iOS feature in Yosemite: http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/  and http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/mac-and-ios/  (doesn't preclude Mac to Mac, or iOS to iOS, but definitely doesn't suggest it either)

censored

censored

post #111 of 119
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Any idea where you heard Mac <-> Mac?  I’ve only heard Mac <-> iPhone/iPad.

It was here, so it may not have been right. I’d check myself, but I only have access to one machine with Bluetooth 4…

post #112 of 119
Quote:

I agree to the 'why wouldn't it', but simply haven't seen it mention that it does. I do have 2 Macs close enough for BT4 to see each other, but only one of the is on 10.10 and I don't feel like installing 10.10 on my main machine. Though if it keeps on raining today I'll make it a rest day (need it for a 10k run tomorrow anyway) and install it on a spare disk. Though these things should be out on the Internet, I'm just no good with Google search.
post #113 of 119

I've been searching and can't find either confirmation or denial, and barely a mention of the question.  I can see Mac <--> Mac as being something of a niche, but I'd have thought iPhone <--> iPad would have a wider appeal.

censored

censored

post #114 of 119
Quote:

aren't you forgetting about our bet in the other thread?

YOu said you would self ban yourself for 3 months if the 5.5 came out.

Don't be a coward.  Pay up.

Where is the 5.5"? You acted like a child. I will not post a message in AI from 9/9/14 to 12/9/14 only if 5.5" WILL come out in the next 3 months by Nov 18 (3 months from your post date).

Edited by fallenjt - 8/27/14 at 4:33pm

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #115 of 119
Quote:

Like i've been saying for months.
5.5 is real.

Some one lost a bet to me and cant post for 3 months.
Apple is out for blood against Samsung and bringing the 5.5 is the death blow.

Yeah? Who lost? The damn thing is not even announced. That means you're not winning anything.

post #116 of 119
Quote:

The difference comes in when you separate Android phones into the premium high end tier vs the endless flood of low end cheap crap. There are no phablet devices in the cheap tier at all, except for older prior-year models. They are exclusively in the upper tier, where they make up a fairly sizeable amount of the phones sold in that tier.

There are no premium Android phones. They are second-tier all the way.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #117 of 119

Would the upgraded 4.7 be more expensive than the 5.5? 

post #118 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Seeing as the 5.5 would be worthless as a phone, the answer is much.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #119 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

It will take much more effort to put the same tech into a smaller device and therefore would make sense that a smaller phone will be more expensive. We even have proof of it: Samsung releases one phablet after the other, most likely because they can't put all that tech into a smaller device, or don't know how to make a battery lasting as long as the iPhone does.

But for the public, a larger device will be more expensive as they get 'more screen' so I wouldn't be surprised if a larger phone is more expensive.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model