or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple invention helps iPhone users find their parked car despite poor cell, GPS reception

Apple invention helps iPhone users find their parked car despite poor cell, GPS reception - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That's still a speaker isn't it?  Just a very simple, one-tone, buzzer-like one.

It creates sound but my understanding is it's not a magnetic-driven speaker, but a semiconductor diode that creates sound through a vibration when power is introduced.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #42 of 52

Oh really?  Fair enough then.  I would think if Apple did do that though, they'd want it to emit a pleasing sound, not something too harsh.  Not sure how much flexibility  there is with vibrating semiconductor diodes.

censored

censored

post #43 of 52
Quote:

Oh really?  Fair enough then.  I would think if Apple did do that though, they'd want it to emit a pleasing sound, not something too harsh.  Not sure how much flexibility  there is with vibrating semiconductor diodes.

Like with Find My iPhone's location option it needs to be piercing enough to be emitted though couch cushions and whatnot.

edit: Because I can't any evidence to back up my assumption I have to concede that I could be wrong, perhaps these don't exist, but I also don't think I'm using the right terms to look them up.

post #44 of 52
I think it's called a "Piezoelectric disk beeper"

Indeed, having it on 24/7 would be an issue. Perhaps waking every 4 seconds would keep battery life acceptable @ 1 year or so (?)

edit: now I see the added posts on page 2; good points gents.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #45 of 52

Better just to have a proper mic and speaker in there to control the TV using Siri  ;)

censored

censored

post #46 of 52
Quote:

Better just to have a proper mic and speaker in there to control the TV using Siri

This I agree with, at least the microphone part. I'd think the Speakers connected via the Apple TV is how you'd want Siri to respond.

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This I agree with, at least the microphone part. I'd think the Speakers connected via the Apple TV is how you'd want Siri to respond.

Maybe, yeah, though if it came through the TV then you'd have a weird sort of disconnect between what you're talking to and what's responding and I think Apple would care about that aural aspect of the UI; I think the chime at least should come from the remote to show that it's active.

Plus, if it didn't work then it's a bit less obvious whether it's the Apple TV or the remote that isn't working.  Though that's a lesser issue, and probably solveable in other ways (mainly by making it always work :D ).

censored

censored

post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

This is exactly what I do when I park at some random side street to get the beach or even Disneyland. I have not found the GPS on phones to be accurate enough to know exactly where I parked -- just a rough area.

If your iPhone GPS is that inaccurate, you should take it in an get it replaced. Mine is accurate within about a meter or two, even inside in my home.

It's not that simple. High buildings make mincemeat of accuracy.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #49 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

4) When I drive for work I now set that cruise control at a nice 60 MPH on the highway which makes for a more relaxing and stress free drive.

Ha ha! Stress free my ass. You drive 60 mph on the highway around OC and people will cut you off, flip you off, honk at you, and maybe fire gunshots at you. ;-)

Sounds as though you live in a bad neighbourhood if you have gunshot fired at you on your daily commute. That's great if you need adrenalin to get you going for the day.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #50 of 52
Quote:

I was in Panama a couple weeks ago and my two best friends and I went out for lunch at a really upscale restaurant in a touristy area called Amador.  Anyway, as we were leaving I slipped out the back street since I knew it is faster, but there was a cop on bicycle who saw this SUV pulling out thinking probably tourists. So he steps out in the middle of the road and flags us down. He was probably thinking we had a few drinks and he might make a little cash. So I rolled down the window and my friend sitting in the passenger seat starts reading him the riot act, that he had no right to stop us. He was really yelling at this poor cop. My friend is really well connected in the government and didn't hold back at all. I thought we were going to get arrested so I told him shut up. Then the cop just let us go since it was obvious he was not going to get any cash from us.

Anyone who drives an SUV is asking for it, in my opinion, save for special cases.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #51 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

It's a good thing that happened in Central America. In the US cops will shoot you for taking back to them.

Yeah, true. The moral of the story is really, if you are a tourist in Central America, don't break any laws and especially don't drink and drive, It will cost you plenty. We did have a few drinks, but the laws are different for locals. They can speed and even drive the wrong way on a one way street, but don't try that as a tourist.

So if you want to get you and your family run over and killed by a drink driver, Central America is the place to be. 

Got it.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #52 of 52
Quote:

Quote:

With today's technology that shouldn't be too hard. For instance, let's say the next Apple TV, which already has BT, uses a low-power BT remote. Apple could put a small physical button on the Apple TV so when depressed it would cause the remote to beep for x-seconds.

Putting a speaker in the remote for this singular purpose doesn't sound like something Apple would do.  They're already pared the buttons down to pretty much the bare minimum to make the thing tiny.

Not at all. It would be a very easy thing to do. I presume that Apple hasn't thought of it, hasn't got round to it or think it's not worth doing. It's a good suggestion by SolipsismX.

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple invention helps iPhone users find their parked car despite poor cell, GPS reception