or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

post #1 of 242
A set of photographs published on Friday purport to show both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch variants of Apple's next-generation iPhone depicted in an engineering prototype overview, with both models sporting a protruding camera lens and all-metal rear casing.

The 4.7-inch version of the so-called "iPhone 6" is said to measure 138 millimeters on the Y axis, 66 millimeters on the X axis, and 6.9 millimeters on the Z axis, while the 5.5-inch model compares at 158 millimeters, 78 millimeters, and 7.1 millimeters, respectively. The shots, first published by French blog iGen.fr, were supposedly taken from internal systems at Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn.

At least one of the screens is identical to a render that emerged earlier this week from the Republic of China.

Both of the handsets depicted add 0.77 millimeters on the Z axis for the external portion of the camera lens. Apple is said to have gone to great lengths in an attempt to bring the 5.5-inch model down to 7 millimeters in thickness, but was unable to do so.

The company also reportedly shipped some 28 containers of displays from the U.S. to Foxconn plants in the People's Republic of China. Though speculation exists that these may have come from Apple's sapphire plant in Arizona, Gorilla Glass is also made in the U.S. by Corning.

Apple is rumored to be planning the unveiling of at least one of the new models -- likely the 4.7-inch variant, with a 5.5-inch "phablet" to follow -- at an event on Sept. 9. The new devices would then likely go on sale Sept. 19.
post #2 of 242

if you don't believe now then you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

post #3 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tallest Skill will be in here to rip you a new one in 3...2...1...

post #4 of 242
Little do most people know.

Apple isn't about to produce iPhones.

They're about to print money.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #5 of 242
As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.
post #6 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.

Not sure why you're on an Apple rumor site, then?

So it looks like there will be a sub-1mm lens on the iPhone 6.  I really hope it'll still lay mostly flat on a surface without a case.  But as long as it lives up to/improves the stellar quality of the iPhone's camera, I'll manage  :-)

Come on Sept 9th!  Shouldn't we be seeing an invitation early next week if Sept 9th is really the day?

post #7 of 242
Apple isn't going to have the lens stick out from the phone. The design would be awful.
post #8 of 242
Yes I know. I can always stop reading. But I can't, too. Oh well.
post #9 of 242
1) Why is the side view upside down?

2) Why is there a button, what appears to be a sleep/wake one, on top, but this time on the left hand side?

3) Is the button on the side, the other side, the new sleep/wake button?

4) Why does it look so ugly, skewed?

5) Why is the later "Proto 2" thicker, longer and wider?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #10 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I OWN Tallest Ski

He literally runs away from threads that i post in.

Can't wait when the 5.5 is official and Tallest needs to self ban himself

post #11 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2) Why is there a button, what appears to be a sleep/wake one, on top, but this time on the left hand side?

I didn't notice that about the power button.  I'm not sure why there would be a power button on the top, the actual casing leaks have show the power/sleep/wake to be on the camera lens side of the phone.

Nice catch.  

post #12 of 242
Quote:

We landed on the moon?! No way! When did *this* happen?!
post #13 of 242

Wow Apple is doing a very good job letting fake details about the iPhone 6 "leak" out to throw off the competition. Bravo. Tim Cook is not only an operations genius; he understands counter-espionage. He should work for the CIA.

post #14 of 242

Seems to me like he needs to put some more effort into it before I do.

Can't wait when the 5.5 is official and Tallest needs to self ban himself

*ding dong* Now arriving at Delusion on track 4. Please check beneath your seats for your sanity and common sense, and thank you for riding Unsung Railways. Next stop, Strawman.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #15 of 242
100% fake. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I don't think the great Steve Jobs himself could convince anyone that that looks good.
post #16 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*ding dong* Now arriving at Delusion on track 4. Please check beneath your seats for your sanity and common sense, and thank you for riding Unsung Railways. Next stop, Strawman.

So are you going to chicken out on our bet?

Remember we agreed that if the 5.5 is real you would ban yourself for 3 months?

And if it didn't come out I'd ban myself?

Shame how people flake out now days.

post #17 of 242
Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post
100% fake. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, but I don't think the great Steve Jobs himself could convince anyone that that looks good.

post #18 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The date on the first image appears to show 2-12-2014, which means that this is a very early prototype. So perhaps Apple was testing the sleep/wake button both in the traditional top-mounted position and on the wide, before going with a side-mounted button.

post #19 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to have the lens stick out from the phone. The design would be awful.

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

post #20 of 242
It appears to be an old photo, as the date at the lower left is 12. February 2014.
post #21 of 242
Quote:

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

You speak like someone who has experience with how small .77 mm is.

;-)

post #22 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

You speak like someone who has experience with how small .77 mm is.

;-)

wrong. its so big even a deaf man can see it.

post #23 of 242
Please don't do this Apple. On the iPod yeah it's okay since it's not a 30+ million sold device. This can't end well unless there is an absolutely critical reason that we don't know yet.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #24 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Please don't do this Apple. On the iPod yeah it's okay since it's not a 30+ million sold device. This can't end well unless there is an absolutely critical reason that we don't know yet.

making such a big deal about such a small thing.

The camera bump did not hurt the Samdung S5.

It wont hurt the iPhone6

post #25 of 242
Quote:

It wont hurt the iPhone6

Yeah, some people obviously need drama in their lives. How about let's see what Apple introduces and go from there. 

post #26 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

He can land on both of mine when I'm out mooning¡ I'll greet him with an 'Exqueeze me?"
post #27 of 242
Quote:

The date on the first image appears to show 2-12-2014, which means that this is a very early prototype. So perhaps Apple was testing the sleep/wake button both in the traditional top-mounted position and on the wide, before going with a side-mounted button.

Good thinking, good catch.
post #28 of 242
Quote:

It wont hurt the iPhone6
This has nothing to do with that device. By that logic Apple should put in Touchwiz since Crapsung sells so many devices and apparently people don't have a problem with it. I could not give one crap about the S5 let alone two.

I do give a crap about the usability of my phone and what I've come to expect from Apple. I put the phone on flat surfaces (my desk) all the time and use the phone. I don't want it rocking back and forth like an uneven chair.
post #29 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

It's a quandary. Watch the movie of the Apollo 11 post-flight new conference with the crew. Odd behavior.

post #30 of 242

124 x 59mm I can believe.  That's about the size of the iPhone5.   But 158 x 78mm is absurdly huge, even for a phablet.   An iPad Mini is 200mm x 135mm.    

post #31 of 242
Lens-gate. You read it here first, folks.
post #32 of 242
Quote:

I seriously hope that Apple makes the 4.7" and 5.5" version with a protruding camera and the 5.5" gets all the extra goodies (more ram, more storage, better glass, better camera and more) just to make the 10 people on here so upset. It's really not all that big of a deal when it comes right down to it. Because, you know, as with almost every product in the world, the bigger product usually has more.

post #33 of 242
If the camera lens is actually protruding, then I'm sure there's a damn good reason for that, that outweighs any aesthetic concerns some may have. It's not a big deal, especially if it enhances camera performance in some way.
post #34 of 242
Quote:

This has nothing to do with that device. By that logic Apple should put in Touchwiz since Crapsung sells so many devices and apparently people don't have a problem with it. I could not give one crap about the S5 let alone two.

I do give a crap about the usability of my phone and what I've come to expect from Apple. I put the phone on flat surfaces (my desk) all the time and use the phone. I don't want it rocking back and forth like an uneven chair.

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

post #35 of 242
Quote:

Could the critical reason be camera optics? There's only so much you can shrink the component before you start to really negatively affect the image quality 

post #36 of 242
Perhaps but people can still voice their opinion? Hope so. Still don't think this is from the iPhone. iPod has been rumored too.
post #37 of 242
How can people get so worked up over something that hasn't been announced yet? RELAX and wait for the keynote when all will be explained.
post #38 of 242
Quote:

Millions of people grumble about touch wiz

I have no heard a single person grumble about Samsungs camera buldge.

Please use your brain.  All you need to do is put a .77mm 1 inch by 1 inch material on your desk.

That's alot easier than Apple trying to overcome physics and make the camera .77mm thinner.

All you all's are just selfish. 

I cant believe a .77mm bump is a deal breaker.  Seriously.

post #39 of 242

This whole 0.77mm lens protrusion is a bit of a first world problem, though.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #40 of 242
Quote:

I did a test on my 5S.  I added a small piece of material near the camera lense that is .77mm thick.

It works just as good .

people need to realize how small .77mm is.

And why are people using their iPhone flat on a desk anyway?  Why not just pick it up and use it with one hand?   Next thing you know people are going to grumble that the iPhone doesnt have a magnet so they cant stick the phone on the fridge and use it there.  I mean really?  Just pick up your damb phone like 99.99999% of the population!

I'd rather have a super-awesome camera and super thin than a perfectly flat phone with either a worse camera or thicker.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens