or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens

Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens - Page 4

post #121 of 242
Samsung is working on copying this!
post #122 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple isn't going to have the lens stick out from the phone. The design would be awful.

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

Its no big deal

I think the side buttons on my about-to-be-replaced iPhone 4 protrude a little more than that...

still, it just doesn't seem 'elegant'…

maybe it extrudes for photographing, and retracts afterwards - except, tiny little motors? nah

post #123 of 242
Quote:

But where does it end?

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so we can put in a DSLR like camera!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so the battery can last 30 hours!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so I can use it on a table and it won't slide (because its so heavy)

Bottom line is the iPhone is about STYLE.

Do you seriously think your defintion of style is superior to the entire iPhone design team?  Really?

Based on the leaks - Yes and yes.

post #124 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Based on the leaks - Yes and yes.

Then you should apply for the head design job at Samsung.

post #125 of 242

Do you remember last year when 'WELL CONNECTED' Ming Kuo reported:

"Kuo expects the iPhone 5S to have a sapphire fingerprint reader home button that will no longer be plastic and concave but actually protrude slightly from the iPhone in a convex manner."

http://************/2013/08/10/iphone-5s-to-have-protrudingconvex-sapphire-home-button-that-doubles-as-a-fingerprint-reader/

post #126 of 242
Quote:

Then you should apply for the head design job at Samsung.

Why would I do that?  They already have a protruding camera in their design.  

post #127 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Erhm, where on the product page of that Mac did they mention that one would be able to upgrade the RAM? Nowhere, so you bought the wrong model. What's next, moan about the disappearance of the HDD in the nMP? How about an iPhone with swappable HDD, battery and RAM¿ Or no LOM on a Shuffle...

It doesn't, but when you buy a car you expect to be able to change the tyres instead of throwing the whole thing away. I'm not sure of any PC desktop that is completely non-upgradable, I think Johnny is saying in secret "I wonder how much hardware functionality we can remove from these machines before people stop buying them!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

You don't throw it away, you resell it. Apple products have great resale value (and they last long enough to be resold while my wife's Samsung computer(s) are purchased because the old one failed...and thrown away). And they are thicker. 1smile.gif

Selling and buying a new Mac leaves you with a net loss of around £500 on high-end gear, more RAM is £50 tops.

Quote:

Then you can buy a $40 case that will give you better battery life and a flat surface.

For the rest of the 90% we want our ultra thin phone.  Thanks.

Why should I have to buy extra bits (doubling the thickness of the phone vs a mm or two thicker) to add to compensate for a design obsession of one guy at Apple?

90%? Where'd you get that statistic? You aren't everyone. As I said, most people complain about iPhone battery life. If it was too thick and they wanted it thinner, they'd complain about thickness. But they don't.
Quote:

But where does it end?

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so we can put in a DSLR like camera!
Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so the battery can last 30 hours!
Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so I can use it on a table and it won't slide (because its so heavy)

Bottom line is the iPhone is about STYLE.
Do you seriously think your defintion of style is superior to the entire iPhone design team?  Really?

Do you seriously think everyone who buys the iPhone buys it for STYLE? I actually use mine as a smartphone, only more often than not Samesung's ads are correct; I'm hugging a wall socket. If you stick it in a display cabinet and admire it's aesthetics, you wouldn't know much about the battery.

Also, you might not realise this but 0.7mm is 0.02 inches, not 1 inch. Your exaggerations are only out by a factor of 50.

Everything is a compromise, and between battery life and thickness, Apple's leaning way too far toward the thinness end of the scale IMO.
post #128 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about.

Apple didn't say throw it away. You did.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #129 of 242
Quote:

Do you remember last year when 'WELL CONNECTED' Ming Kuo reported:

"Kuo expects the iPhone 5S to have a sapphire fingerprint reader home button that will no longer be plastic and concave but actually protrude slightly from the iPhone in a convex manner."

[URL=http:/2013/08/10/iphone-5s-to-have-protrudingconvex-sapphire-home-button-that-doubles-as-a-fingerprint-reader/]http://************/2013/08/10/iphone-5s-to-have-protrudingconvex-sapphire-home-button-that-doubles-as-a-fingerprint-reader/[/URL]

Your point? The 5s home button is concave yes, but it doesn't protrude, Also AI reported a design tweak where Apple recessed the volume buttons and lock switch on the iPad to make them less intrusive, why'd they make tiny tweaks like that if they were going to have the camera poke out on their flagship phone?
post #130 of 242

Money shot:

post #131 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple didn't say throw it away. You did.

So should I sell it and go buy another? If it was upgradable I wouldn't have to buy another. Upgrading wouldn't require a whole new machine to be made if Apple's thinness OCD was toned down a notch. Buying anything newly manufactured will lays be less eco-friendly than just upgrading a component or two.
post #132 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Money shot:

The smallest one is designated N51, presumably meaning the iPhone 5. The middle one is labelled N61, whihc one might guess means iPhone 6. So what do we make of the biggest one being labelled N56? Half-way between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 6?

It makes me wonder if there may actually be the much-feared and detested feature differentiation between models, but favoring the 4.7" version, NOT the 5.5.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #133 of 242
Quote:

Why don't you pick up your phone?

What advantage is there to keep it on your desk?

1. My other hand is holding the coffee cup--who says "your way" is the "right way"?

2. I suffer a physical disability and cannot grip a phone. Think palsy.

3. I have lost my other arm and have only one hand.  Think war veteran.

4. Because I choose to. Think different.

Edited by TeaEarleGreyHot - 8/22/14 at 12:26pm
post #134 of 242
Quote:
But doesn't your phone slip on the desk even though its perfectly flat? 

Actually it doesn't. It is so flat that there is actually some natural adhesion between the two flat surfaces.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #135 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester View Post

Is it possible that apple is planning on making the lens perform as a physical button? I remember seeing apple patents years ago that outlined this very function. Bear with me for a second- I know it's a leap, but this is a rumor site, right? Imagine a spring-loaded trigger that launches the camera app. Perhaps only when the front light sensor is not covered (as to avoid pocket presses). Apple could even incorporate touch features that would ensure that the trigger only works when pressed by human skin. They could also give the button a weight of 3 lbs pressure as to prevent accidentals while playing games or using other apps.

Great ideas. But the lens need not protrude to serve this function: think home button.

post #136 of 242
Quote:

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

This is one of the reason I bought the 27", ram is accessible.

post #137 of 242

imo they should have made it flat with the camera and give us a better battery...

post #138 of 242

I recall a few years back Apple was advertising about having a 5 micron tolerance to the fit of the iPhone parts, or something like that. Jony Ive made a video mentioning it, I think.  They produce multiple sizes of one part, so they can match it to the variations in machining of another part.  Within 5 microns.  

Nope, that doesn't sound like a company that would let a camera lens protrude by 770 microns--150 times it's standard tolerance!

post #139 of 242
Quote:

It doesn't, but when you buy a car you expect to be able to change the tyres instead of throwing the whole thing away. I'm not sure of any PC desktop that is completely non-upgradable, I think Johnny is saying in secret "I wonder how much hardware functionality we can remove from these machines before people stop buying them!?".

The future is not going to be bright for you then.
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
Android seems to be an illiterate product, as they only have numbers to show for.
post #140 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Me too, though I did have to swap it due to a squeaky PSU. The store said they'd just get me a new one since it's so hard to get inside them.
post #141 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your point is what? That if it exists as a patent it is a good or even valid idea?

My point is that an existing patent claims to specifically address the problem caused by those "greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers" of yours. lol. And yes, I think common sense would dictate that an oleophobic camera lens would constitute a good idea.
post #142 of 242
This rumored official promo shot should hopefully calm the seas of the rumor this thread describes

And if this promo shot is in fact the iPhone 6 I can't wait to preorder the gold one.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #143 of 242
Quote:

making such a big deal about such a small thing.

The camera bump did not hurt the Samdung S5.
It wont hurt the iPhone6

Are you taking more bets? I'll bet whatever you want that there is no extruding camera - unless of course it automatically retracts so that the phone can still lie completely flat - which is very unlikely! If they were going to add a moving part, it would be great to have an optical zoom - but I think the chances of them adding a moving part are very close to zero, and the chances of them releasing the iPhone 6 with a permanently extruding camera is exactly zero!
post #144 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones.

Yes, and the second thing they'll say is "What's this?"

I'm tellin' ya, that 0.77mm protruding lens will stand out like a red dot on a white cashmere sweater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXZ2dIJ5sQ

post #145 of 242
I don't think these are legit since the overall design still looks too ugly. If it DOES come out like that, Apple should ditch Jony and hire Marc Newson.
post #146 of 242
The difference with you and me is I don't like the 5.5 but I can see beyond my personal opinions and can see the massive opportunity the 5.5 is.

Opportunity to what, fail spectacularly? Sell to imbeciles?

The actual difference between us is that when we see a bad idea, I don’t think that Apple needs to waste time, money, and blow their history of quality by making a garbage product just to prove it to people too dumb to get it already.

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post
This rumored official promo shot should hopefully calm the seas of the rumor this thread describes

No, it’s just a photoshopped version of the existing product imagery, which Apple has never reused across product lines.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #147 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

And if this promo shot is in fact the iPhone 6 I can't wait to preorder the gold one.
It's not real. It's a render posted to Behance based on a rumor from back in June that those antenna bands were just placeholders and wouldn't be in the final design.
post #148 of 242
It's interesting when you go back to the very first leaks on the iPhone 6 -- which date back nearly a year ago -- what we read indicated their would be a strong resemblance to the current iPod touch. So... (protruding ring and all) whoever leaked that info early on had a pretty good inside track on where they were heading. Which means this same person or persons probably has a good idea about next year's revision to the iPhone 6 -- which of course means its time to start talking about that already.
post #149 of 242
Quote:

I like the idea of a 5.5" iPhone and will buy one if it becomes available, thus your comment about selling to imbeciles is a direct insult to me, and my response rhymes with "Duck you."

You really can be an asshole sometimes, you know that?

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #150 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by createrio View Post

I don't think these are legit since the overall design still looks too ugly. If it DOES come out like that, Apple should ditch Jony and hire Marc Newson.
Marc Newson?!? Why?!?
post #151 of 242
Quote:

So people who buy large phones are imbeciles.

Wow.

Thanks for proving my point for me.

Some people who are very tall (like 6'5") can easily use a 5+ phone with one hand.  So you call those people imbeciles?

Or some people can't afford a phone AND a tablet so they buy a large phone.  Are they imbeciles?

Your black and white view of a large phone is ridiculous.

Get over yourself.  Not everyone on the planet earth has the EXACT same preferences for phones as you do.

post #152 of 242
Quote:

So should I sell it and go buy another? If it was upgradable I wouldn't have to buy another. Upgrading wouldn't require a whole new machine to be made if Apple's thinness OCD was toned down a notch. Buying anything newly manufactured will lays be less eco-friendly than just upgrading a component or two.

Among other things you can sell it, give it away, recycle it. Apple never said to throw it away, and they've made the phone highly recyclable when it reaches the end of its useful life. I am just addressing the false dilemma you presented to support your questioning of Apple's eco-friendliness. My point is that you, the smartphone owner, have a responsibility to be eco-friendly by choosing not to throw it away. Apple did its job in making it recyclable. What you do with it at the end of its life is yours.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #153 of 242
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post
I like the idea of a 5.5 iPhone and will buy one if it becomes available, thus your comment about selling to imbeciles is a direct insult to me...

No, it’s indirect.

So people who buy large phones are imbeciles.

What would you call someone who bought a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is? Nice strawman, though.

post #154 of 242
Quote:

a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is

lol.

Product lines and usages aren't as black and white as you want them to be.

censored

censored

post #155 of 242
Jeeminy Priest, are you guys still on this?!! Are you not looking at the picture? Can't you see the narrow strips at the top and the bottom that are recessed below the main body of the back? Probably by the same .77mm? It's not going to rock! Settle down!

I don't know whether the lens protrudes from that strip because they couldn't reduce the thickness of the camera without sacrificing optical performance, or because the main part of the back would hulk into its field of view like a mountain. I suspect the latter. In either case, it's not going to be higher than the flat part of the back.

Plus, maybe that recess is covered with something, who knows? This is just the metal part. Maybe the whole back will be flat, with the lens flush, and these strips are filled with plastic or something.
post #156 of 242
Quote:

What would you call someone who bought a product designed to be too large to use as the product it is? Nice strawman, though.

I fail to see how a 5+ inch phone is too large to use.

You can easily fit such a phone in a purse.  And it is light enough to use as a phone.  And when you use it, its size increases privacy (blocks part of your face).

A smartphone is made to make calls, apps, internet, ect.  You can do all that on a 5+ inch phone.

Please explain what you CAN'T do on a 5 inch phone.

And please don't say 1 handed use, since 99.99% of the population has 2 usable hands.

1 handed use is a lame excuse.

That's like saying a Broad Sword is a horrible weapon because it takes 2 hands.

And a dagger is better because you can use 1 hand with the dagger and use another hand to eat a sandwich.

People use different tools for different jobs.  1 size does not FIT ALL.

post #157 of 242
Quote:

Where is it written that a phone has to be used with one hand only? If that's your opinion then you're within your rights, but smartphones are not necessarily one size fits all.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #158 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

He doesn't know that the RAM on the 27" iMac is accessible. He's never used, or maybe even seen, an iMac in his life. It's just one of the scripted criticisms in his troll manual. "When is Apple going to give us a two-button mouse, anyway!"
post #159 of 242

Although I agree the protruding camera might spoil the whole design(We'll see for sure when it is announced officially) but the only reason I can think of Apple going after thinner body is weight. 

Currently iPhone 5S weight is 112gms and I'm pretty confident they want to keep it same. There was a nice surprise for people when they reduced the weight of the iPhone 4S(140gms) to iPhone 5(112gms). So I don't think they'd increase the weight.

Look at this way if they are going to increase the dimension the weight 'd obviously increase. The only way to keep the weight at same level 'd be to make it thinner.

post #160 of 242

And when you use it, its size increases privacy (blocks part of your face).

That got a snort. I like that a lot.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Where is it written that a phone has to be used with one hand only?

As every phone before Android in the last 140 years has been usable–as designed–with one hand, well...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens