or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens - Page 2

post #41 of 242

I AM HYPERVENTILATING BECAUSE THERE MAY BE A 0.77mm PROTRUSION ON THE NEXT IPHONE!!!

 

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE WOULD DO THIS TO ME

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 242

My first response was that there was no way in hell that Apple would allow a lens to protrude 0.77mm from the next iPhone. Mainly because the phone would not be able to lie flat on the table, when in use.  NObody wants to be trying to txt on a wobbly phone that doesn't lie flat.

 

As I thought about it, though, my Survivor case adds 3.4mm to the thickness of my iPhone 5 (about 2.5mm to the back and 0.9mm to the front). The lens would protrude through the hole in the case, and thus add nothing to the thickness of what I carry in my pocket.  Obviously, cases for the next gen of iPhone would be somewhat different, but I think the extra 0.77mm would still not protrude from the case that most people might use for their phones.  

 

Of course, if the iPhone ships with a sapphire screen, there may be many fewer people using cases, and then the protruding lens really would be an issue.

 

Mostly, though, I think this is a rumor  planted by Apple, to try to reveal the source of leaks from the supply chain.

post #43 of 242

So the 5.5 iPhone is essentially a very similar size to the current Note 3, which is jumbo sized for sure, by comparison.

 

158 x 78 x 7.1 mm vs 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm for the Note 3. The Note is 5.7in yet this 5.5 iPhone will be taller. Sounds like Apple didn't reduce bezels at all from their standard layout despite a large device. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #44 of 242

Apple really don't go to the trouble of prototyping builds to catch leaks.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #45 of 242
This data is 7 months old. Look at the date in the lower left.
post #46 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.


Apple rumors on Apple Insider !

 

What the world has come to!

post #47 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post


Because Apple always boasts how great their designs are. They should just increased the entire thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm to remove the hump since its such a "small" value. But then probably couldn't stroke their e-peen about having a thinner phone than everyone else.

 

I'd rather have a THINNER phone with a tiny bump than a FATTER PHONE.

 

I'd rather have an awesome camera with a tiny bump than a flat phone with a worse camera.

 

I mean who the hell uses their phone on a desk?

Just pick up the damb phone!

post #48 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.


Apple rumors on Apple Insider !

 

What the world has come to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

making such a big deal about such a small thing.

 

Since when did Apple fans care about details, right?

 

Oh wait.

post #49 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

I'd rather have a THINNER phone with a tiny bump than a FATTER PHONE.

 

I'd rather have an awesome camera with a tiny bump than a flat phone with a worse camera.

 

I mean who the hell uses their phone on a desk?

Just pick up the damb phone!

 

What if Apple could have made a flat phone with the same amazing camera by increasing the thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm? Based on your reasoning, Apple should have done that because 0.77 mm is nothing.

post #50 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

people need to realize how small .77mm is.

 

Generally, 770 microns is pretty thin, however, you really do insult a lot of folks with your insistence that they don't know how thin it is.  It is about the thickness of some spark plug gaps in automobiles.  It's about the thickness of common fingernails.  It's about the thickness of 8 sheets of 20# paper.  Many people have experience with these objects.  

post #51 of 242
If these dimensions are true, the 4.7 is only 1/4 inch (0.7 cm) wider and 1/2 inch (1.4 cm) longer than the existing 5S, which tells me there is definitely not a 4" model coming this time... the 4.7 fits in almost the same size chassis, and shouldn't be any harder for anyone to use. Meanwhile even the 5.5 is less than an inch (2 cm) wider than the 5S, and is actually a few millimeters narrower than the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, albeit a quarter inch longer.

Can people stop saying these phones are too big? 1tongue.gif
post #52 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
And why are people using their iPhone flat on a desk anyway?

 

OMG

this is 'you are holding it wrong' all over again.

 

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it's big enough for me. I don't care that the iPod had it before, it's just not right.

 

The current iPhone is designed like a monolith. Put it on a tablet and it looks beautiful also because it's like a perfect piece of aluminium. Making a lens like that would ruin everything.

post #53 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
 

 

What if Apple could have made a flat phone with the same amazing camera by increasing the thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm? Based on your reasoning, Apple should have done that because 0.77 mm is nothing.

 

for a small piece of the phone its okay.

 

But make the ENTIRE phone thicker?  No thank you.

 

Apple wants the new phone to be larger but thinner. 

I like it.  Looks stunning.

 

Although the 5.5 looks clownish

post #54 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

I'd rather have a THINNER phone with a tiny bump than a FATTER PHONE.

 

I'd rather have an awesome camera with a tiny bump than a flat phone with a worse camera.

 

I mean who the hell uses their phone on a desk?

Just pick up the damb phone!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
 

 

What if Apple could have made a flat phone with the same amazing camera by increasing the thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm? Based on your reasoning, Apple should have done that because 0.77 mm is nothing.

^ This.

post #55 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

OMG

this is 'you are holding it wrong' all over again.

 

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it's big enough for me. I don't care that the iPod had it before, it's just not right.

 

The current iPhone is designed like a monolith. Put it on a tablet and it looks beautiful also because it's like a perfect piece of aluminium. Making a lens like that would ruin everything.

 

Why don't you pick up your phone?

 

What advantage is there to keep it on your desk?

post #56 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

for a small piece of the phone its okay.

 

But make the ENTIRE phone thicker?  No thank you.

 

Apple wants the new phone to be larger but thinner. 

I like it.  Looks stunning.

 

Although the 5.5 looks clownish

 

It's even worse with a small piece of the phone because it that insignificant 0.77 mm is highlighted.  The protrusion is just ugly.  Not a fan of the bands either.  

post #57 of 242
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

the 5.5 looks clownish

😁

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #58 of 242

And what if I want to use it that way?

I check the time.

I ask Siri stuff.

I look at my notifications.

I'll soon look at widgets.

I don't have to take my phone if I just want to check it for one second.

 

And I don't need to give to you a justification. Everything you are talking about makes me think about one thing I hate : compromise.

 

For me, having a fatter phone or 'worse' camera are both solutions that are better than yours, because the end user doesn't see the compromise. Maybe Apple will do it, but I wouldn't like it at all.

post #59 of 242

When I think of Apple's iPhone design, the words elegance, simplicity, and polished comes to mind.

 

A protruding lens (no matter how thin) does not seem elegant to me. It makes the phone non-symmetrical.

 

Maybe I will change my mind once I see the phone in person.

post #60 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

OMG

this is 'you are holding it wrong' all over again.

 

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it's big enough for me. I don't care that the iPod had it before, it's just not right.

 

The current iPhone is designed like a monolith. Put it on a tablet and it looks beautiful also because it's like a perfect piece of aluminium. Making a lens like that would ruin everything.

I cm is about the width of a fingernail. 0.7 cm is about 70% of the width of a fingernail. Basically, flush.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #61 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

I cm is about the width of a fingernail. 0.7 cm is about 70% of the width of a fingernail. Basically, flush.

 

*sigh*  It seems you confused cm with mm and width with thickness...

post #62 of 242

So in February the 5.5 was still a prototype where as the 4.7" was apparently final since it does not have the word "Proto". Looks like the 5.5 design progress is behind that of the 4.7 which could explain why some of the rumors have suggested a delay for the 5.5, although they mentioned production challenges not design schedule.

 

Looks more likely though that there may be a 5.5 after all.

 

I think the protruding camera is a bit unfortunate as I do use my phone without a case and often place it on the desk. I just conducted a test. I calipered the thickness of my business card. .0095. So three business cards approximately equals .77mm. I placed the phone on the corner of the stacked business card to simulate the area of the camera protrusion to test the wobble factor. It does indeed wobble noticeably.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #63 of 242
Lens sticking out of the latest iPod Touch is the reason I'll never buy it.

If the same ugly design is going to be on the next iPhone then Applr really lost its cool. It would be a great disappointment.

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply

I will eat your dog! If you have cat, I will eat that too!

Reply
post #64 of 242
Originally Posted by unDED View Post
…Applr really lost its cool. It would be a great disappointment.

 

Enjoy the FUD. We don’t care.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #65 of 242
Is it possible that apple is planning on making the lens perform as a physical button? I remember seeing apple patents years ago that outlined this very function. Bear with me for a second- I know it's a leap, but this is a rumor site, right? Imagine a spring-loaded trigger that launches the camera app. Perhaps only when the front light sensor is not covered (as to avoid pocket presses). Apple could even incorporate touch features that would ensure that the trigger only works when pressed by human skin. They could also give the button a weight of 3 lbs pressure as to prevent accidentals while playing games or using other apps.

Also, imagine that the metallic ring around the lens is magnetic or even electro-magnetic, offering a solution for 3rd party camera accessories to be attached and removed with ease.

Personally, I'm seriously hoping the lens will not protrude. But if it has to, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will offer some sort of new benefit that would otherwise have been impossible with a flush lens.
post #66 of 242
Originally Posted by winchester View Post
Is it possible that apple is planning on making the lens perform as a physical button?


Yep, because as every photographer knows, the BEST thing to be doing to a lens is touching it. With your greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #67 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post


This has nothing to do with that device. By that logic Apple should put in Touchwiz since Crapsung sells so many devices and apparently people don't have a problem with it. I could not give one crap about the S5 let alone two.

I do give a crap about the usability of my phone and what I've come to expect from Apple. I put the phone on flat surfaces (my desk) all the time and use the phone. I don't want it rocking back and forth like an uneven chair.

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unDED View Post

Lens sticking out of the latest iPod Touch is the reason I'll never buy it.

If the same ugly design is going to be on the next iPhone then Applr really lost its cool. It would be a great disappointment.

Don't buy it. Easy. I and millions of others will buy it.

post #68 of 242

Think of all the lawsuits that will be filed due to all the holes that are going to be worn-through the back pockets of the hipsters tight jeans.

post #69 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If the camera lens is actually protruding, then I'm sure there's a damn good reason for that, that outweighs any aesthetic concerns some may have. It's not a big deal, especially if it enhances camera performance in some way.

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

post #70 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yep, because as every photographer knows, the BEST thing to be doing to a lens is touching it. With your greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers.

lol. It's an actual apple patent, genius. As is a 2014 patent for adhering a print-resistant layer to crystalline surfaces.
post #71 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

*sigh*  It seems you confused cm with mm and width with thickness...

And I don't think a fingernail is quite 1mm thick.
post #72 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function... Therefore I'm leaning toward the former, even though it'd look really ugly as it does on the Touch. Plus they don't seem to care much about battery life on the 5s, mine's crap.
post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

And what if I want to use it that way?

I check the time.

I ask Siri stuff.

I look at my notifications.

I'll soon look at widgets.

I don't have to take my phone if I just want to check it for one second.

 

And I don't need to give to you a justification. Everything you are talking about makes me think about one thing I hate : compromise.

 

For me, having a fatter phone or 'worse' camera are both solutions that are better than yours, because the end user doesn't see the compromise. Maybe Apple will do it, but I wouldn't like it at all.

 

I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone.

 

Sorry, I hardly know of anyone who uses their phone ON A DESK.   I mean seriously.  ON A DESK!  

post #74 of 242
Originally Posted by winchester View Post
lol. It's an actual apple patent, genius. As is a 2014 patent for adhering a print-resistant layer to crystalline surfaces.


Your point is what? That if it exists as a patent it is a good or even valid idea?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #75 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yep, because as every photographer knows, the BEST thing to be doing to a lens is touching it. With your greasy, disgusting, flesh-worn, secretious, fingerprinted fingers.

Agreed! I burst out laughing when I read the comment about using the camera lens as a button. No way would that happen.
post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
 

When I think of Apple's iPhone design, the words elegance, simplicity, and polished comes to mind.

 

A protruding lens (no matter how thin) does not seem elegant to me. It makes the phone non-symmetrical.

 

Maybe I will change my mind once I see the phone in person.

 

You do know that the 5S volume buttons also protrude?

post #77 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

😁

 

The difference with you and me is I don't like the 5.5 but I can see beyond my personal opinions and can see the massive opportunity the 5.5 is.

 

YOu on the other hand dont like the 5.5 thus you think every single other human on planet earth should also not like the 5.5

post #78 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone.

Sorry, I hardly know of anyone who uses their phone ON A DESK.   I mean seriously.  ON A DESK!  

I must be one of the 10% who would rather a slightly thicker phone with a better battery, better camera and the ability to put it down without it rocking.

What extra functionality do you gain by having a phone 0.77mm thinner? Would anyone even notice the difference if you put two phones together with 0.77mm difference between them? I think not.
post #79 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

 

So it looks like there will be a sub-1mm lens on the iPhone 6. I really hope it'll still lay mostly flat on a surface without a case.

 

We need to find you a supplier of self-adhesive rubber "feet" that are exactly 0.77mm thick. You could put them in the three corners that don't have a camera and then it would not only be level but wouldn't slip!

 

Of course they'd come off in your pocket so you'd need a lot of 'em over the years you're likely to own the phone.

 

Do you use the camera in the phone? If not you could just file or grind down the protrusion!

 

Maybe one of those no-slip drawer liners laid on your desk surface would hold it steady enough.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #80 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function


Huh? When did he do that? If you're referring to the removal of the SuperDrive in the iMac, you don't get what Apple, tech and innovation is about. None. Zip. Zilch.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens