or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens - Page 3

post #81 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

I'll take the latter.

I always put a paper towel or cloth down underneath it at my desk, either at work or home. This also removed the worry of a little spec of sand on the surface scratching up the back of it.
post #82 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
 

I cm is about the width of a fingernail. 0.7 cm is about 70% of the width of a fingernail. Basically, flush.


No need to teach me about cm, I'm from Europe

 

<< see?

 

And btw, you've got it wrong. If it protuded 0.7 cm I'd be extremely worried.

post #83 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 
I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone.

 

Sorry, I hardly know of anyone who uses their phone ON A DESK.   I mean seriously.  ON A DESK!  

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #84 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Do you realize how small .77 of a mm is?

 

Its no big deal

 

Monolith glass/metal design was a huge differentiation factor between iPhones and most of the junk out there with parts sticking or popping out.  Now they are about to join the same camp?  And it is not only about design - it is also about usability - it will lay on a surface unevenly. They could just make it flat and put more available volume into the battery.

This is as stupid as it could get.

post #85 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post


Because Apple always boasts how great their designs are. They should just increased the entire thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm to remove the hump since its such a "small" value. But then probably couldn't stroke their e-peen about having a thinner phone than everyone else.

Not to mention it would allow for a slightly larger battery as well.  They don't have to increase the battery size if weight is a more important factor.  

 

The bump- even though I dont mind it on the iPod Touch 5- isn't ideal for design.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #86 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

This is Johnny I've remember; he's shaving millimetres off of desktops when it's completely unnecessary and actually reduces function... Therefore I'm leaning toward the former, even though it'd look really ugly as it does on the Touch. Plus they don't seem to care much about battery life on the 5s, mine's crap.

I love his designs, making the devices as thin as possible. It is simply a work of art (and shows the future of what computing devices will look like).
post #87 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

Don't buy it. Easy. I and millions of others will buy it.

 

I don't intend on buying it, I'm perfectly content with my non-rocking iPhone 5S, thank you.

 

Now, that won't stop me from talking about it. Oh I know, how dare I !

 

Saying "don't buy it" to people who criticize isn't argument, it's just lame.

post #88 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Huh? When did he do that? If you're referring to the removal of the SuperDrive in the iMac, you don't get what Apple, tech and innovation is about. None. Zip. Zilch.

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.
post #89 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

You do know that the 5S volume buttons also protrude?

 

And why in the world do they protrude?

Oh yes, it's because THEY ARE FREAKING BUTTONS !

 

Also, they are not on the back.

post #90 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I love his designs, making the devices as thin as possible. It is simply a work of art (and shows the future of what computing devices will look like).

I like the designs too, but I think he's a bit OCD over thinness. The top complaint about iPhones is battery life, which could be fixed in one fell swoop by making it a mm or two thicker and having a decent sized battery. When's the last time you heard anyone complain that the iPhone is too fat?
post #91 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

5.5

if you don't believe now then you don't believe we landed on the Moon.

Why? Because Foxconn leaked screenshots of the Moon landing too?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #92 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

I don't intend on buying it, I'm perfectly content with my non-rocking iPhone 5S, thank you.

 

Now, that won't stop me from talking about it. Oh I know, how dare I !

 

Saying "don't buy it" to people who criticize isn't argument, it's just lame.

That's fine and you certainly have that right. I will not disagree with you there. Although, I find that people who complain and/or criticize about a product they have no intention of buying is pretty lame. Just my opinion.

post #93 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

And why in the world do they protrude?

Oh yes, it's because THEY ARE FREAKING BUTTONS !

 

Also, they are not on the back.

Clemy- go grab a shoe from your closet.  Now hold that shoe up to face level.  Now yell into it.  That's about the equivalent of arguing with sog35.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #94 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

 

Also, there's a little problem with his phrase :

 

"I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone."

 

I think that 90% of people would rather have a phone that's 0.07mm fatter than this one and still thinner than the current 5S AND with a better camera AND no protruding lens AND maybe a better battery.

post #95 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

As much as I like to learn about 'news' on iPhone 6 I wish AI would stop posting these now. It's really been enough.

Full disclosure: AI is paid by Google to post this stuff. Literally paid by Google (in ad revenue).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #96 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones. Apple's new iPhone will stand out compared to the others.
post #97 of 242
Why would some factory worker risk getting caught to "leak" photos of screenshots? Unless there's money involved. In which case, it's industrial espionage.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #98 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
 

Clemy- go grab a shoe from your closet.  Now hold that shoe up to face level.  Now yell into it.  That's about the equivalent of arguing with sog35.

 

That hurt !

post #99 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

Also, there's a little problem with his phrase :

 

"I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone."

 

I think that 90% of people would rather have a phone that's 0.07mm fatter than this one and still thinner than the current 5S AND with a better camera AND no protruding lens AND maybe a better battery.

 

You nailed it.

post #100 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

I think it is. It makes the devices thinner and weigh less. I have no desire to upgrade anything. Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.
post #101 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I like the designs too, but I think he's a bit OCD over thinness. The top complaint about iPhones is battery life, which could be fixed in one fell swoop by making it a mm or two thicker and having a decent sized battery. When's the last time you heard anyone complain that the iPhone is too fat?

My current one will be as soon as I hold my new iPhone 6 in my hand.
post #102 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why would some factory worker risk getting caught to "leak" photos of screenshots? Unless there's money involved. In which case, it's industrial espionage.

Agreed. I find some of the leaks stunning.

I wonder if any fake ones are planted (by Apple) just to create confusion such that real leaks are seen as being less certain.
post #103 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I think it is. It makes the devices thinner and weigh less. I have no desire to upgrade anything. Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.

So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about. Who cares if a desktop is a few grams lighter or a couple mm thicker because it doesn't have a RAM access door? No one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

My current one will be as soon as I hold my new iPhone 6 in my hand.

You just said you have no desire to upgrade anything, so iPhone 6 is not allowed, sorry ;P
post #104 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode.

Have you disabled Notifications on the Mac? I did, by taking everything out of NC and setting it to not disturb me from 22:00 till 21:59 (no option of disabling it) but the freaking thing still tells me there are software updates, batteries low on Trackpad et cetera. I'm annoyed by them because I use Aperture in full screen mode and don't want NC to nag me.

/rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Inability to upgrade RAM without using a pizza slicer to get the screen off is innovation? Nope.

Erhm, where on the product page of that Mac did they mention that one would be able to upgrade the RAM? Nowhere, so you bought the wrong model. What's next, moan about the disappearance of the HDD in the nMP? How about an iPhone with swappable HDD, battery and RAM¿ Or no LOM on a Shuffle...
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #105 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

 

Witness the iMac and reconsider your position.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #106 of 242

people... the protruding nib (lens) only matters if you are not using a case. If you put a case on the phone, the lens will only benefit from protrusion as it will handle light better then it otherwise would if it was deeper in a "hole". (as one positive use case)

post #107 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

We need to find you a supplier of self-adhesive rubber "feet" that are exactly 0.77mm thick. You could put them in the three corners that don't have a camera and then it would not only be level but wouldn't slip!

Of course they'd come off in your pocket so you'd need a lot of 'em over the years you're likely to own the phone.

Do you use the camera in the phone? If not you could just file or grind down the protrusion!

Maybe one of those no-slip drawer liners laid on your desk surface would hold it steady enough.

Congrats on twisting what I said. Feel better?

I said as long as it has the quality optics that the iPhone always does, I'll get used to it. You didn't quote that part because you needed to feel better about yourself. Glad I could help.
post #108 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

So throw it away and get a new one? How eco-friendly, which is what Apple's supposedly all about. Who cares if a desktop is a few grams lighter or a couple mm thicker because it doesn't have a RAM access door? No one.
You just said you have no desire to upgrade anything, so iPhone 6 is not allowed, sorry ;P

You don't throw it away, you resell it. Apple products have great resale value (and they last long enough to be resold while my wife's Samsung computer(s) are purchased because the old one failed...and thrown away). And they are thicker. 1smile.gif
post #109 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
 
Have you disabled Notifications on the Mac? 
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist

 

killall NotificationCenter

 

 

But I don't use Mail app on OS X. I get my email in the browser.


Edited by mstone - 8/22/14 at 10:30am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #110 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

I strongly think many people will indeed notice the difference. They will pick it up for the first time and say "Wow! It is thinner!" This will improve the user experience which is what Apple is all about. I think it will sell phones. Apple's new iPhone will stand out compared to the others.

 

You're right, but not the way you think you are.

 

I don't believe for .77 seconds that reducing the thickness of the phone by .77mm will improve the user experience in any meaningful way. In fact, I think having a little "button" on the back to catch on things and make it wobble when laid flat will actually have a very slight negative effect on the user experience.

 

I *DO* agree that it will increase the "curb appeal" and thus will sell more phones. That's not the same as actually improving the experience of owning one though.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #111 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

Most people (not on this site) don't care either about upgrading RAM.

 

Probably true, but they DO often want to access the storage device, either to increase storage capacity as it becomes available and affordable and/or to replace a failing drive.

 

Even if we assume that only a minority will ever need to open their computer, why impose a limitation at all? What is the benefit of making a DESKTOP computer thinner?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #112 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Code:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist


Code:
killall NotificationCenter



But I don't use Mail app on OS X. I get my email in the browser.

BIG thanks for that one. No more low battery warnings, while I have a spare set laying in the drawer.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #113 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post


I must be one of the 10% who would rather a slightly thicker phone with a better battery, better camera and the ability to put it down without it rocking.

What extra functionality do you gain by having a phone 0.77mm thinner? Would anyone even notice the difference if you put two phones together with 0.77mm difference between them? I think not.

 

Then you can buy a $40 case that will give you better battery life and a flat surface.

 

For the rest of the 90% we want our ultra thin phone.  Thanks.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #114 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I think almost no one would notice the difference if the entire phone was .77mm thicker. I use my phone on the desk everyday and the wobble is definitely noticeable and objectionable in my test. One of the main reasons I have the iPhone on the desk while I work is because I use a lot of professional design applications in full screen mode. When I hear the iPhone ding with a new email, I tap the inbox to see who it is. If it is something I need to address, then I minimize my drawing app and open the email client on my desktop machine. If not, I continue working uninterrupted.

 

But doesn't your phone slip on the desk even though its perfectly flat? 

 

If you just put your phone on a little piece of cloth it would not slip.  Even with a massive .77 mm bump.

 

Anyway once the iwatch comes out you won't have that problem.  See Apple is always thinking ahead.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #115 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

And why in the world do they protrude?

Oh yes, it's because THEY ARE FREAKING BUTTONS !

 

Also, they are not on the back.

 

He said the iPhone 5S was perfectly symetrical.

It obviously isn't.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #116 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
 

 

Monolith glass/metal design was a huge differentiation factor between iPhones and most of the junk out there with parts sticking or popping out.  Now they are about to join the same camp?  And it is not only about design - it is also about usability - it will lay on a surface unevenly. They could just make it flat and put more available volume into the battery.

This is as stupid as it could get.

 

Stupid to you.

 

But not to 99.99999% of the population.

And not the the 80 million people who will buy the phone in 100 days.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #117 of 242
Purportedly I no longer care, Purportedly.
post #118 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Congrats on twisting what I said. Feel better?

 

Whoa, wait... I'm not mocking you or being sarcastic! I was trying to make light of an annoying development (do "light" and "development" count as puns in the context of discussing a camera lens or is that too much of a stretch?). Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

 

Please forgive the weakness of my humor. As I've said before, I try hard but I'm just not that bright! :)

 

Are we good?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #119 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

Also, there's a little problem with his phrase :

 

"I think 90% of the people would rather have a thinner phone with a better camera than a fatter phone."

 

I think that 90% of people would rather have a phone that's 0.07mm fatter than this one and still thinner than the current 5S AND with a better camera AND no protruding lens AND maybe a better battery.

 

But where does it end?

 

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so we can put in a DSLR like camera!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so the battery can last 30 hours!

Why don't we make the phone 1 inch thick so I can use it on a table and it won't slide (because its so heavy)

 

Bottom line is the iPhone is about STYLE.

Do you seriously think your defintion of style is superior to the entire iPhone design team?  Really?

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #120 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

I seriously hope that Apple makes the 4.7" and 5.5" version with a protruding camera and the 5.5" gets all the extra goodies (more ram, more storage, better glass, better camera and more) just to make the 10 people on here so upset. It's really not all that big of a deal when it comes right down to it. Because, you know, as with almost every product in the world, the bigger product usually has more.

 

I hope they don't. I believe there will be a great deal of people that will find it at the least an annoyance and at the most an abhorrence.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

Don't buy it. Problem solved.

 

I didn't say I wouldn't buy it. I'm 199% sure I am going to buy it. I just don't want it to wobble.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

Millions of people grumble about touch wiz

 

I have no heard a single person grumble about Samsungs camera buldge.

 

Please use your brain.  All you need to do is put a .77mm 1 inch by 1 inch material on your desk.

That's alot easier than Apple trying to overcome physics and make the camera .77mm thinner.

 

All you all's are just selfish. 

I cant believe a .77mm bump is a deal breaker.  Seriously.

 

So because you've never heard anyone complain about the protrusion of Galaxy phones means no one has ever complained? Okay -- because I've never heard anyone complain about Touchwiz there must not be a problem with it¡

 

I'm not even thinking fully selfishly here. I think a lot of people will complain about it when they get to use it if this rumor holds true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

 

It works just as good .

 

people need to realize how small .77mm is.

 

And why are people using their iPhone flat on a desk anyway?  Why not just pick it up and use it with one hand?   

 

I use it on my desk because I have a desk job. It's that simple. Many iPhone owners do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

My first response was that there was no way in hell that Apple would allow a lens to protrude 0.77mm from the next iPhone. Mainly because the phone would not be able to lie flat on the table, when in use.  NObody wants to be trying to txt on a wobbly phone that doesn't lie flat.

 

As I thought about it, though, my Survivor case adds 3.4mm to the thickness of my iPhone 5 (about 2.5mm to the back and 0.9mm to the front). The lens would protrude through the hole in the case, and thus add nothing to the thickness of what I carry in my pocket.  Obviously, cases for the next gen of iPhone would be somewhat different, but I think the extra 0.77mm would still not protrude from the case that most people might use for their phones.  

 

Of course, if the iPhone ships with a sapphire screen, there may be many fewer people using cases, and then the protruding lens really would be an issue.

 

Mostly, though, I think this is a rumor  planted by Apple, to try to reveal the source of leaks from the supply chain.

 

Never used a case. Never will. The phone just doesn't feel as nice in the hand with a case. Hopefully this rumor is as you say, a plant by Cook.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
 

 

What if Apple could have made a flat phone with the same amazing camera by increasing the thickness of the phone by 0.77 mm? Based on your reasoning, Apple should have done that because 0.77 mm is nothing.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
 

When I think of Apple's iPhone design, the words elegance, simplicity, and polished comes to mind.

 

A protruding lens (no matter how thin) does not seem elegant to me. It makes the phone non-symmetrical.

 

Maybe I will change my mind once I see the phone in person.

 

 

Exactly.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
 

 

OMG

this is 'you are holding it wrong' all over again.

 

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it's big enough for me. I don't care that the iPod had it before, it's just not right.

 

The current iPhone is designed like a monolith. Put it on a tablet and it looks beautiful also because it's like a perfect piece of aluminium. Making a lens like that would ruin everything.

 

I don't think it would ruin the phone just that it wouldn't look as neat and precise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

If the choice Apple had to make was between having a protrusion sticking out of the back of their phone (making it useless to operate while laying on a flat surface), or making the phone .77mm thicker (along with an accompanied larger battery), I somehow just have the feeling they'd go with the latter.

 

I would think so too. We'll find out soon enough.

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens