or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'

Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge' - Page 4

post #121 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

lol and this is why we can't drink nice things around computers lol ...

also don't spill coffee with cream in it on to a keyboard...

Speak for yourself.

My last Thinkpad had liquid drainage channels leading to drain holes under the notebook. I'm not kidding.
My MacBooks have always had a silicone keyboard cover.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #122 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

Wow. Just WOW. The ice bucket challenge is supposed to be about charity, not just some other opportunity for a cutthroat company to capitalize on. I can't express how tasteless this is on Samsung's part, let alone how blatantly obsessed they are with all things Apple (including public appearances by their executive team). 

Who cares about that? If the ALS Association gets money, and Samsung gets to look hip with the kids, it's win-win.

Don't even tell me the bucket challenge on Facebook isn't 90% about shameless self-promotion and "look how charitable I am." It's about as meaningful as the Harlem Shake.

Luckily, the ALS Association still gets money from people's self-absorbtion, and those with Lou Gehrig's Disease will hopefully be closer to a cure.

post #123 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can the top bar say 2:50 when the clock on the lock screen says 2:16? And why is the top bar transparent in the first photo but black in second?

Clockgate.
But where is the DED weekend article about this full of enragement???

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #124 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Gruber says the vid is edited/fake. Look at the time in the upper right corner of the phone.

Waiting for some Samsung fan to call Gruber a liar and claim that Samsung clocks normally show mismatching times.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #125 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Waiting for some Samsung fan to call Gruber a liar and claim that Samsung clocks normally show mismatching times.

Haha.
Fandroids: well it's a feature of Android that you can alter the clock display in two different places.
post #126 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Gruber says the vid is edited/fake. Look at the time in the upper right corner of the phone.

I think you may be waiting a long time on an Apple fan forum for someone to do that but if it makes you feel better to call out imaginary fandroids then carryon
post #127 of 163
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
I think you may be waiting a long time on an Apple fan forum for someone to do that but if it makes you feel better to call out imaginary fandroids then carryon

Are you saying that for this specific case, or are you trying to claim that they don’t do that at all?

post #128 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you saying that for this specific case, or are you trying to claim that they don’t do that at all?

this specific case.
post #129 of 163
this specific case.

I’ll buy that.

post #130 of 163
Quote:

this specific case.

I’ll buy that.

For a dollar? :cool:
post #131 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I never said that I never had an accident. Don't put words into other people's mouths.

A few years ago I spilled a huge cup of coke all over my Macbook, basically killing the machine. I managed to fix it eventually, after I disassembled the entire machine and gave it an alcohol bath and then dried it out, but it was purely my own fault for being careless.

I have never had any phone or iPad accidents yet, and I keep all of my devices naked.

Accidents can and will happen, but in virtually all cases it's the fault and the responsibility of the user.
Apple ][, can you detail exactly how you cleaned your MacBook. I recently ran into the same issue on my '07 MBP and need to clean it out
post #132 of 163
Quote:

Have faith in the Fandroids and contrarians on this site: that's why they're hereSomebody will take the bait. 

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #133 of 163
This is an enjoyable Ice Bucket Challenge…

PS: Off topic, I find it amazing that YouTube is still such a dominant presence on the web. I had thought Google had paid too much for it but I must concede that it's been it a hugely successful and versatile advertising platform for them.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #134 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Apple ][, can you detail exactly how you cleaned your MacBook. I recently ran into the same issue on my '07 MBP and need to clean it out

Mine was also from 2007, a Macbook.

I found a guide on iFixit for my model, then I basically just disassembled most of the entire machine. We're talking about almost everything, every small part that is on the inside. Make sure that you keep track of all of the parts and screws, because the plan is to put everything back together again of course. You don't have to remove 100% of the parts from the inside, but you have to remove enough so that you are able to access everything that needs to be clean.

Then I went down to my local pharmacy and bought the strongest alcohol that they had available, mine was around 96% I believe. I then started putting some of the parts into small containers that were filled with alcohol, and gave them a bath. You just dip the parts in alcohol for a few minutes. This is a few years ago, so I don't remember everything 100%, but I don't believe that I put the harddrive into the alcohol bath. I had a regular drive at that time, not an SSD, and I think that I just cleaned the outside of it. The whole motherboard and the case also got an alcohol bath. There was a lot of goo on the motherboard.

Coke is very sticky, so I also used a toothbrush and Q-Tips to clean some of the goo out of the parts and inside the computer. After you believe that you have cleaned whatever needs cleaning with alcohol, then you just have to wait, while you let everything dry. I needed to reapply some CPU paste to the CPU, because the heatsink also had to be removed. I wasn't sure how long to wait, but to be on the safe side, I believe that I waited for practically a whole day (24 hours) before I had the courage to turn the machine back on again.

After I put everything back together again, I booted up the machine, and to my surprise, it worked, since I had never done anything like this before. I'm not a computer repair person or anything like that.

It turns out that the keyboard was still a bit messed up after I had fixed my machine, so I ended up buying a new keyboard for the Macbook, which cost me about $100, and after I got that, my Macbook was as good as new. I got at least a few more years of use out of that Macbook, after I fixed it, and the whole thing ended up costing about $100 for the new keyboard, so I was very happy indeed.

Good luck with your machine.

Edited by Apple ][ - 8/23/14 at 2:20pm
post #135 of 163
Quote:

Aha! I see what happened. The screen at the beginning was just a screenshot. When the ice falls, one of the cubes touches the screen and animates the menu options up onto it.

Just like iOS and the Photos app, touch to hide, touch to show.

Why they felt they needed to use a screenshot instead of showing the OS live is another question.

Indeed, why is an excellent question. I do have a theory though... I think it's because they knew the phone would react wonky when hit by ice cubes and water, and wanted to make sure it still looked pristine during the whole sham, only it didn't. Leave it to those of us who actually care about the little details to discover their deceit, good job Apple folks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

So... Samsung using a debilitating disease that ultimately kills the victim ... to use a negative marketing campaign against Apple and to try to boost their sales? Classy move indeed.

Classy was not the word I had in mind to describe it, more like deplorable and despicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

From the time they took the the screen-shot to when they shot the scene it took exactly 44 minutes. In those 44 min the battery went from 64% to 56%. That's 12.5%, who's the "wall-hugger" now? LOL

I know! I can get thru an entire work day with my 5S with moderate to heavy use, and still have a good 50-60% juice remaining at the end of the day. The only time I see my battery drain really quickly is if I'm in a very poor reception area, such as deep inside a large concrete building, or out in the wilderness. But of course any phone would drain faster in these circumstances, as the device is forced to use more energy to keep the link alive.
post #136 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Off topic, I find it amazing that YouTube is still such a dominant presence on the web. I had thought Google had paid too much for it but I must concede that it's been it a hugely successful and versatile advertising platform for them.
Scamsung, take note, this is what the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is about, not your f'ing product placement and competitor bashing.
post #137 of 163
Sam has sung it's last tune.
Samcrap is already showing signs of desperation.
I give 'me two years before they go back to building toilets

F
post #138 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

So are you ready to go out and buy a Samsung Galaxy now?

Not a chance!
post #139 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

The whole thing just leaves me cold.

Yeah, you're right to pour cold water on Samsung's motives. 😃
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #140 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Samsung. Bringing water to my i's.

Lol! Cry me a river.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #141 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

I was probably the first person to drop an iPhone in the toilet...before they offered AppleCare... But early enough that Amex paid for a new one.

Pulled the phone out and it was still on. Tried to turn it off but couldn't swipe the wet screen. Phone died in my hand and I may have wept a little.

Dropped another one in a pitcher of beer. Dead immediately.

Waterproof would be a nice feature.

Moral of the story: don't drink so much beer.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #142 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You don't use the toilet?

No need to lower the tone—lavatory, loo or bog are all better words.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #143 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/181948/samsung-ad-challenges-apples-iphone-5s-to-take-ice-bucket-challenge#post_2583361"]

Most people don't need it, but I don't have anything against Apple offering a waterproof option for drunks and other careless people, as long as that phone costs more.

Normal people should not subsidize drunks and careless people.

Dropping your phone in toilets and pitchers of beer? I can't say that that is a problem that I ever have to worry about.
No need to be a prick, accidents happen to everyone.

I don't use the Stocks app, so I don't see why I should subsidise the development of apps for city boys*.

* I actually use a different stocks app, but I'm making a point here.

There's carelessness and carelessness. Dropping your iPhone in the loo and in your pitcher of beer is carelessness to the point of foolishness and should be ridiculed.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #144 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Scamsung, take note, this is what the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is about, not your f'ing product placement and competitor bashing.

And another great example of how the Ice Bucket Challenge is done:
Samsung is just sad sometimes. They are in such a rush to jump in whenever a competitor does or announces something they don't think hard enough about just what they're doing and how it's perceived.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #145 of 163

It's tacky and tasteless that Samsung is using this charity/awareness tactic as a marketing trick. But you know a number of iPhones have survived being dunked or doused in water over the years. It's all about the type of water and whether they are allowed to dry before being used again (putting a charge through damp wires will short them). So really their waterproofing isn't that huge of a deal. Most damage is drop damage from what I have seen and they haven't said they are 'proofed' against that 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #146 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And another great example of how the Ice Bucket Challenge is done:
Samsung is just sad sometimes. They are in such a rush to jump in whenever a competitor does or announces something they don't think hard enough about just what they're doing and how it's perceived.

Why are there people wearing a shirt with the word Google on it?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #147 of 163
Quote:

It was reported in a related article that they are all Google Dublin employees, about 250 of them taking part.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-staff-google-dublin-take-4098775
Visit http://www.mycharity.ie/event/googledublinicebucketchallenge/ and your donation will be matched euro for euro by Google.

EDIT: The Google fundraiser is over, target exceeded.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/24/14 at 12:17pm
post #148 of 163
Quote:

Quote:

It was reported in a related article that they are all Google Dublin employees, about 250 of them taking part.
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-staff-google-dublin-take-4098775
Visit http://www.mycharity.ie/event/googledublinicebucketchallenge/ and your donation will be matched euro for euro by Google.

EDIT: The Google fundraiser is over, target met

Ah, ok. So, no relation to Samsung, other than the article then. I think I'm slow today, but hey, it's Sunday (using it as an excuse)
post #149 of 163
Quote:

Ah, ok. So, no relation to Samsung, other than the article then. I think I'm slow today, but hey, it's Sunday (using it as an excuse)

Nope. Neither the video Soli linked or mine showed Samsung taking part.Sammy preferred to twist it to their own unrelated marketing uses.
post #150 of 163
Quote:

Not too late to donate either. Visit http://www.mycharity.ie/event/googledublinicebucketchallenge/ and your donation will be matched euro for euro by Google.

Apple could donate $70-90b and drain all Google's assets, bankrupting them and Apple would have change left over.

I think it would have been better if charities came together for these events and shared the cash around. The people taking part are mostly doing it because of the appeal of the ice bucket but realistically, every charity can't come up with their own viral nomination game. I think each charity should be clearer on their needs for operating and chances of successfully using the funding to help sufferers of the illness they are representing.

There's no reason why next week there couldn't be a nomination game for breast cancer for celebrities to eat a baked potato with a particular filling. I think it would be better if it was a yearly event with a unique element to it that brought all charities together and people would vote for a charity of their choice to get funding or it would be split based on needs as reviewed by an independent body.

The ALS foundation has reported $62.5m this year vs $2.4m last year. If they can manage to operate on a budget of $2.4m, either the staff will get some hefty pay rises or they'll be able to operate for the next 26 years. If they can operate for 26 years without more funding, that's great but a bit unfair to other charities that are just as deserving of funding.
post #151 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Even if their phones are shit-proof, I would never buy anything with Samsung name on it .... 

But wouldn't that mean they would be proofing a phone against itself?

post #152 of 163
Quote:

OT, but I hope things get better for Benedict soon. He's been in a sub-standard Sherlock season, a toothless Star Trek movie, a critically 'meh'  Middle Earth film (even though I immensely enjoyed The Hobbit films so far) and a bomb biography (The Fourth Estate).

He is absolutely watchable, but things just don't seem to be working out for him.

post #153 of 163
Well Apple has had this coming all along and cant pretend this wasnt expected. Almost everybody else has their phones atleast coated to prevent accidental water damage. Its just sad to say that you can not work out with the phone in your pocket because of body perspiration may make your phone break or talking in some light rain...
post #154 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

Well Apple has had this coming all along and cant pretend this wasnt expected. Almost everybody else has their phones atleast coated to prevent accidental water damage. Its just sad to say that you can not work out with the phone in your pocket because of body perspiration may make your phone break or talking in some light rain...

Sounds like you don't have experienced my situation: I'm a cyclist, keep my iPhone in my jersey. Of course I wear a thermo shirt underneath, but my perspiration gets through my shirt, through my jersey and the iPhone always gets wet. It's really no problem.

Rain. I often get hit with a shower every now and then. That's normal in this country. The other day I was cycling for 5 hours, 3 of them through the rain. Often light, some moments of heavy showers; all no problem. Jersey was soaked, iPhone was wet but kept on working. Upon arrival I simply didn't unplug the headphone jack and just laid the phone on a table. No worries, no waterproofing needed for this.

Submerging is another story; haven't tried that as I'm sure it won't survive that. The lightning port doesn't seem to be a problem; when peeking inside it looks like it's completely closed, but of course the mic and speaker aren't.
post #155 of 163
Why do you think its not a problem? I have had issues inthe winter myself. Luckily the phone started working after 7 hours of drying. Im probably out Of luck with the warranty though and so are you! I have several friends that have worked in the winter and had their Iphone unwarranted and dead because of this but hey apple is selling some more phones via your home insurance company(if you have it). And we all pay larger premiums because of this...
post #156 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Quote:

OT, but I hope things get better for Benedict soon. He's been in a sub-standard Sherlock season, a toothless Star Trek movie, a critically 'meh'  Middle Earth film (even though I immensely enjoyed The Hobbit films so far) and a bomb biography (The Fourth Estate).

He is absolutely watchable, but things just don't seem to be working out for him.

Can't stand the man.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #157 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

LOL... I certainly should. I've had a dozen different cases over the years but I just don't like them. Bought my wife a life proof (can still use touch id). She isn't as tough on it as I am but the lil kids tend to get ahold of it.  Down side to life proof is it only accepts the small apple made cables not the bigger third party ones. Couldn't bring myself to by a $40 six footer so i through on a usb extender.  It also won't fit on our iHome without an adapter and apparently there are no good adapters. 

Oh I do hear you on cases: the iPhones are gorgeous so why hide and bulk them up when it isn't necessary?

For pocket with keys carrying I'll slip on a minimalist Vaja case that does the trick without too much bulk, can't tolerate the big tanks myself for EDC.

post #158 of 163
Quote:

If that's a frequent risk investing in a box of Ziploc sandwich bags would be useful. Lightweight and completely perspiration-proof. Before I tuck my phone away for backpacks (until this last trip when I went with an Otterbox: probably going back to a baggie as it's so much lighter) a Zipoloc has always been applied and peace of mind ensues...

post #159 of 163
...but hey apple is selling some more phones via your home insurance company(if you have it). And we all pay larger premiums because of this...

To clarify, this would be winter in the Pacific Northwest or Britain, right? Keep your FUD to yourself, though.

post #160 of 163
Jeez, have you seen this, excellent. http://youtu.be/MOXQo7nURs0
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'