or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Known iOS auto-call feature sparks concerns about unintended dialings

Known iOS auto-call feature sparks concerns about unintended dialings - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can go to that webpage and test it. It is actually doing what it demonstrates.

http://box.algorithm.dk/ios/02.html

When I test it, it asks me if I want to call.
It doesn't automatically call like the author states.

post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

[image]

Are you using iOS 8?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #43 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

You can go to that webpage and test it. It is actually doing what it demonstrates.

http://box.algorithm.dk/ios/02.html

(image)

As it should. That is because Mobile Safari is programmed to handle the URL properly. Any other http client will execute the command without a verification prompt. If you try it with a desktop browser you will see that the behavior is different. It will put the bogus URL in the location field. You can then back up and examine the script.

Edited by mstone - 8/25/14 at 11:04pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #44 of 54
Quote:

As it should. That is because Mobile Safari is programmed to handle the URL properly. Any other http client will execute the command without a verification prompt. If you try it with a desktop browser you will see that the behavior is different. It will put the bogus URL in the location field. You can then back up and examine the script.

Tried it with a 3rd party browser and it dialed without any further interaction by me. Tried it with the messages app and it opened safari and prompted me to call.

Interesting. Glad I don't use other apps for urls.
post #45 of 54
Quote:

Tried it with a 3rd party browser and it dialed without any further interaction by me. Tried it with the messages app and it opened safari and prompted me to call.

Interesting. Glad I don't use other apps for urls.

Welcome to wonders of Javascript.

post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Using code seems like a lot of trouble to make the phone dial...

After iOS 8 has wide release I could just put out a radio advert during rush hour/drive time that says,

'Hey Siri, dial 1900 xxx-xxx.'

Could probably throw in... 'Ok Google, dial 1900 xxx-xxx' for good measure.

That or maybe a late night TV ad for those who leave their phone charging in the living room and fall asleep with the TV running.

Ok, so I wouldn't do that.  But how cheeky will it be for a radio DJ on Mother's day to broadcast, 'Hey Siri, call Mom.'

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, Apple may need to have a (non-voice) confirmation for Siri to complete dialing.  :(

Yeah, I know. I only have a problem not a solution.

Best solution is to make the "Hey Siri" command customisable, so I can change it to "Hey butthead".  That would make me happy.

I guess they could also try to make it voice sensitive, but that sounds complicated.

censored

censored

post #47 of 54

You're tapping it the wrong way.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Best solution is to make the "Hey Siri" command customisable, so I can change it to "Hey butthead".

Simple but effective. That solution is brilliant and I hope it's the way Apple goes. I agree that making it tuned to each users individual voice would be overly complicated.

Being able to set your own activation phrase would also get around this problem I've been having. Siri, in the car is listening in on my audiobooks and 50% of the time she responds when one particular narrator says, 'I say.'   - Strange but true (and a bit annoying).

post #49 of 54

Also, I don't know about you guys, but in my household we often have 2 or more iPhones charging pretty close by each other, so having them all respond to "Hey Siri" at the same time would be a nuisance.

If they responded to different key phrases then there would be no issues.

"Klaatu barada nikto!"

"bee boop"

"Execute Order 66"

"bee boop"

"Berwip crawna-wi pinibon"

"bee boop"

censored

censored

post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Benjamin, you haven't checked your facts;

I said iOS 8 and I gave examples of two situations where many users would have their phone plugged in to power.  

Granted, in the car situation I didn't explicitly state that the car driver would have their phone plugged in but those who know of the feature can draw that conclusion. 

iOS 8 : Settings > General > Siri > Voice Activation: 'You can speak to Siri without pressing the home button by saying, "Hey Siri" when connected to power.

Edit: Benjamin, YOU know of this feature already. You commented on the AppleInsider article that talks of this feature: 
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/new-settings-in-ios-8-auto-delete-texts-camera-privacy-controls-hey-siri-voice-activation

Ah, ok. I don't have iOS 8, so had forgotten about that feature coming this autumn.

I agree with crowley—it would be useful to be able to customise the greeting. 'Hey, Siri' is kinda rude.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your logic is flawed.

I couldn't care less about the wellbeing of the apps I mentioned; I don't use them. Google deserves everything coming to them, so the more crime that spews forth on their heads, the worse their reputation becomes, which is a good thing. There is no need for anyone to use those apps, so I don't know why you get your panties in such a twist-perhaps you own Google shares?

I think people might think you are very self centered and only think of yourself with these comments of yours. I hope Apple and the app developers sort this out, and then the world might be a better place.

post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Yes - read the original article. It's the way Apple wrote the code:

http://algorithm.dk/posts/rtfm-0day-in-ios-apps-g-gmail-fb-messenger-etc
Apple's documentation on the tel scheme is really short and easy to read. While reading the first paragraph something caught my attention:

When a user taps a telephone link in a webpage, iOS displays an alert asking if the user really wants to dial the phone number and initiates dialing if the user accepts. When a user opens a URL with the tel scheme in a native app, iOS does not display an alert and initiates dialing without further prompting the user.

And that is a horrible design that does not protect your user base.

post #53 of 54
Sounds like a great devious way to harvest smartphone numbers for later marketing or political purposes via txt or prerecorded msg. Hard to believe that Apple let this happen. Hope it gets blocked in the next iOS update!

Edit: redacted "great" so as not to be misunderstood as an advocate.
Edited by TeaEarleGreyHot - 8/26/14 at 9:34am
post #54 of 54
There are some benefits to this functionality.

There are plenty of health, welfare, safety related apps on Android that help users to raise an alert/alerm by auto dial out to a number saved as their contact in an emergency.

Unfortunately until now Apple have never wanted auto dial out without the need to confirm, so these apps don't work as well as they do on Android.

So I also welcome this, they should make a proper solution rather than fix this flaw.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Known iOS auto-call feature sparks concerns about unintended dialings