or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple patent embeds physical iPhone control, feedback components beneath flexible display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple patent embeds physical iPhone control, feedback components beneath flexible display

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
In a new patent discovered on Tuesday, Apple details a flexible mobile device screen that deforms to reveal buttons hidden beneath its surface, accepts sound and pressure input and provides haptic feedback.


Source: USPTO


As awarded by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple's U.S Patent No. 8,816,977 for "Electronic devices with flexible displays" incorporates one or more flexible display layers overlaid atop actuators, buttons, switches, sliders, speakers, microphones and more.

In some embodiments, the system combines a flexible display layer, such as a compatible OLED substrate, with a similarly flexible capacitive touchscreen layer, which is then covered by a flexible or rigid cover. As the assembly is flexible, users can interact with components installed beneath.

According to one example, buttons or other control structures receive input from a user's finger or other object as it pushes onto the display, thus deforming it and transferring force onto a sensor. Certain systems can extend the device's active screen area by replacing external controls -- like an iPhone's home button -- with internal counterparts.


Illustration of sub-display structural component delineating position of embedded button.


Since the display is flexible, components positioned beneath can create an interactive raised structure that serves as a user input. When force is applied, the display deforms and activates the internal button, dome switch or other sensor before returning to its natural shape.

Alternatively, internal actuators can be made to press upward against the flexible layers to create temporary ridges, points or other shapes on the display surface, with each region made active or inactive to user input. For example, ridges can be used to outline a grid pattern corresponding to an onscreen keyboard.




Another implementation would include passive raised structures that force users to deform the display in order to reach an active sensor or switch. This use case lets operators "feel" for a button on the display without looking at the phone or activating a command prematurely.

Sound and localized vibrations, also known as haptics, are also good candidates for the technology, as speakers, microphones and vibration motors can be placed in key positions for dynamic feedback to user input. In some cases, the flexible display itself serves as an input module integrated into a microphone or pressure-sensing component.

For example, a simple coil and magnet speaker can drive a diaphragm integrated with a device display to output sound through the screen. Alternatively, vibrations captured by the display's large surface may be transmitted to the diaphragm and into the coil to induce a current, thereby creating an input signal. Additionally, a laser microphone can monitor minute vibrations on the screen coming from external sound waves, translating movement into audio input.




Apple notes the technology could be employed in devices such as the iPhone or iPad where space is at a premium, affording a larger input surface by moving physical controls beneath the display. Additionally, the layout would provide space for additional interactive elements like speakers, microphones and pressure sensors.

Along with added screen real estate, the invention would also serve to protect sensitive internal components from dust and debris as environmental exposure is kept to a minimum.




In a final embodiment, Apple describes how an actuator placed beneath a MacBook's touchpad could be used to lift the top cover away from the chassis for easier opening, an alternate take on the erstwhile magnetic latch seen in Apple's older model laptops.

It is unknown if Apple plans to employ flexible display technology in a future device, though the next-generation iPhone models anticipated for launch next month are not expected to boast such features. The company is consistently growing its advanced display IP portfolio, however, possibly signaling research into a more interactive and tactile user experience.

Apple's flexible display patent was first filed for in June 2011 and credits Fletcher R. Rothkopf, Scott A. Myers and Stephen Lynch as its inventors.
post #2 of 34
Hello full-screen iPhone 7 - goodbye homebutton 1smile.gif
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelworks View Post

Hello full-screen iPhone 7 - goodbye homebutton 1smile.gif
I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.
post #4 of 34
Cool. Looking forward to a pop-up keyboard coming to the new 13" iPad this autumn.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #5 of 34
And how flexible is sapphire in this application?
post #6 of 34
I could see that working.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #7 of 34
"technology could be employed in devices such as the iPhone or iPad where space is at a premium"

Quit making the iPhones so thin and you'll have space! Don't get me wrong. I love my IP5S. It's thin enough. Is rather see the next iPhone the same thickness but more or better internals.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

"technology could be employed in devices such as the iPhone or iPad where space is at a premium"

Quit making the iPhones so thin and you'll have space! Don't get me wrong. I love my IP5S. It's thin enough. Is rather see the next iPhone the same thickness but more or better internals.

 

I agree - I don't need a phone to be 0.5mm thick - and I don't want it to be 10" diagonal after you add a case. 

 

Many people may have there handheld device glued to their hand - mine spend plenty of time in a pocket or other location beside in my hand in front of my face. 

post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I agree - I don't need a phone to be 0.5mm thick - and I don't want it to be 10" diagonal after you add a case. 

Many people may have there handheld device glued to their hand - mine spend plenty of time in a pocket or other location beside in my hand in front of my face. 

The next iPhone is going to be iPhoneT. T for translucent because it'll be so thin it's nearly see through. That way the hardware will match IOS7.

Jokes aside, I'm ready to purchase. 4.7 inch...sold. 5.5...not so much. I still think the 5.5 is the new iPod touch gaming device
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

 I still think the 5.5 is the new iPod touch gaming device

I wouldn't really call that "thinking".

 

I can't even begin to think about describing the sheer absurdity that goes into thinking that Apple would even consider making a 4.7 iPhone and then 5.5 iPod touch.

 

There is no fathomable stretch of the imagination that could even pretend to take that seriously.

post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

Me too. Seven devices, Pads, Pods, Phones, not a single one has failed since 2008. Good thing I have other stuff to do while i'm waiting.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

I had a wonderful time cleaning the home button on my iPhone 4 with some methanol to remove the "gunk" that was keeping the home button in the pressed position. It took a few goes but it then failed to fail again. 1biggrin.gif
in fact if Apple wanted to increase the functionality of the screen get rid of that Damn start button. To me it's an eyesore and just wastes real estate.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

I had a wonderful time cleaning the home button on my iPhone 4 with some methanol to remove the "gunk" that was keeping the home button in the pressed position. It took a few goes but it then failed to fail again. 1biggrin.gif
in fact if Apple wanted to increase the functionality of the screen get rid of that Damn start button. To me it's an eyesore and just wastes real estate.

Touch ID?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

 

Talking about the tech shown in this article, there is still a mechanical button under the screen.

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

I had a wonderful time cleaning the home button on my iPhone 4 with some methanol to remove the "gunk" that was keeping the home button in the pressed position. It took a few goes but it then failed to fail again. 1biggrin.gif
in fact if Apple wanted to increase the functionality of the screen get rid of that Damn start button. To me it's an eyesore and just wastes real estate.

Touch ID?
Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

 

Talking about the tech shown in this article, there is still a mechanical button under the screen.

Though in this patent the physical part is protected from anything ingressing
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post


I can't wait. Physical buttons are a failure waiting to happen.

Tell me about it.  My family has maybe 9 iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads and we're still waiting for one of the home buttons to fail.  We're getting impatient.

I had a wonderful time cleaning the home button on my iPhone 4 with some methanol to remove the "gunk" that was keeping the home button in the pressed position. It took a few goes but it then failed to fail again. 1biggrin.gif
in fact if Apple wanted to increase the functionality of the screen get rid of that Damn start button. To me it's an eyesore and just wastes real estate.

Touch ID?
Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?

No idea, but it would be great if it could. Seems doubtful, though.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I wouldn't really call that "thinking".

I can't even begin to think about describing the sheer absurdity that goes into thinking that Apple would even consider making a 4.7 iPhone and then 5.5 iPod touch.

There is no fathomable stretch of the imagination that could even pretend to take that seriously.

I'll bite.

Describe the sheer absurdity.
post #20 of 34
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
I wouldnt really call that "thinking". I can’t even begin to think about describing the sheer absurdity that goes into thinking that Apple would even consider making a 4.7 iPhone and then 5.5 iPod touch. There is no fathomable stretch of the imagination that could even pretend to take that seriously.

 

Well, it’s better than your “argument”, which is absolutely nothing whatsoever. No disproof of the benefits of the idea, not even a rebuttal. 

 

THE IPOD TOUCH ISN’T HELD TO YOUR HEAD. That’s reason number one it can be larger than the iPhone. You’re saying that it would be ludicrous for Apple to make the iPad larger than the iPhone.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

I'll bite.

Describe the sheer absurdity.

I think he was being sarcastic. At least that's how I took it
post #22 of 34
This would be awesome. Over my past few iPhones I've had my volume button, power button and home button fail on me, and the mute switch is semi-stuck now I can no longer switch with one finger. This better be more than just a patent.
post #23 of 34
This isn't for the iPhone (at first). This is for the watch!!

No openings? Mic & Speaker & button functionality in a fully enclosed unit - can you say waterproof!? 'Feel' for button w/out looking? All signs here point to the iWatch.
post #24 of 34

Soooo... dynamic braille as an accessibility option?

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


I'll bite.

Describe the sheer absurdity.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Well, it’s better than your “argument”, which is absolutely nothing whatsoever. No disproof of the benefits of the idea, not even a rebuttal. 

 

THE IPOD TOUCH ISN’T HELD TO YOUR HEAD. That’s reason number one it can be larger than the iPhone. You’re saying that it would be ludicrous for Apple to make the iPad larger than the iPhone.


I'm surprised I would even have to describe this.

 

In no particular order....

 

-The iPod touch is the bastard child of the iOS device family.

-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...the most they have ever done is bring it somewhat inline with the iPhone with a refresh.

-The iPod touch as always been the same size as the current iPhone.

-This means it is INDEED possible that we'll see a new iPod touch at a new size...but only if there is an iPhone at that size TOO.

-When the iPhone is released in 2 sizes, the larger will be the "more expensive, premium".

-I don't care if you don't believe size = premium. To Apple it does.

-Therefor it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone, and iPod touch is lucky enough to benefit, always being the same size and resolution as iPhone.

-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone.

 

 

I really could go on and on, but there doesn't seem much point. By my 3rd line it was already enough.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

-The iPod touch is the bastard child of the iOS device family.

Or, it is the flagship iPod. It is the cheapest (and therefore most accessible) if that's what you mean.

Quote:
-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...the most they have ever done is bring it somewhat inline with the iPhone with a refresh.

This could change, or the iPod line could fizzle out. We'll see what they decide. All the features of the latest touch are exclusive and not on the iPhone. Colours, aluminium, style, strange strap thing. It's always been differentiated.

Quote:
-The iPod touch as always been the same size as the current iPhone.

Generally this would be a good idea software-wise, but if there start to be multiple screen sizes using auto layout, it clearly doesn't need to be the case.

Quote:
-This means it is INDEED possible that we'll see a new iPod touch at a new size...but only if there is an iPhone at that size TOO.

Entirely presumption.

Quote:
-When the iPhone is released in 2 sizes, the larger will be the "more expensive, premium".

If. Maybe.

Quote:
-I don't care if you don't believe size = premium. To Apple it does.

You mean to you, it does. For Apple, you pay proportionally for components. The iPhone is much more expensive than iPads.

Quote:
-Therefor [sic] it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

Wouldn't need to be the same time, could be. It would be an Apple keynote, I think.

Quote:
-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

Entirely conjecture that these feelings exist outside your head.

Quote:
-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone, and iPod touch is lucky enough to benefit, always being the same size and resolution as iPhone.

I haven't seen any evidence for this, but it could be true, and could change.

Quote:
-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone.

This is the crux of it. I disagree. I think the touch in no way benefits from where it is now, although it did before they had the 5C. The entire iPod category is dying. They need to differentiate the line somehow.

Quote:
I really could go on and on

Really did.

Quote:
but there doesn't seem much point.

There wasn't.

Quote:
By my 3rd line it was already enough.

What, it was obvious enough you had no imagination. Yeah.
post #27 of 34
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
-The iPod touch is the bastard child of the iOS device family.

 

The flagship iPod is a bastard child?

 
-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...

 

Your implication being that this would somehow give it prominence, despite not being an iPhone, not doing what the iPhone can do, and not being designed in any way to compete therewith?

 
-The iPod touch as always been the same size as the current iPhone.

 

So?

 
-Therefor it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

 

Or, you know, a perfectly real possibility given that Apple likes to do things without “purpose” these days.

 
-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

 

Screw them. Apple doesn’t make an xMac either. I guess “all” those people are “massively disappointed”. Or maybe Apple knows not to make worthless products in the first place (meaning a 5.5” iPhone).

 
-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone...
 

 

Guess what device would have the same processor as the iPhone. Just guess.

 
-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone.

 

Now. How about when they make a larger one, designed for portable gaming and to be a remote for your other things?

 
By my 3rd line it was already enough. 

 

Not when it was completely wrong, no. I don’t know what kind of delusion is required to see a flagship product as a bastard child, but it fuels your incorrectness down the rest of the line.

 

Look, at this point I figure there will be a 5.5” iPhone. It’s the single most idiotic thing they’ve done since the G4 Cube, surpassing it in that the G4 Cube had a purpose and use case. But a larger iPod touch remains not only a viable option, but a BETTER IDEA.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post


Or, it is the flagship iPod. It is the cheapest (and therefore most accessible) if that's what you mean.
This could change, or the iPod line could fizzle out. We'll see what they decide. All the features of the latest touch are exclusive and not on the iPhone. Colours, aluminium, style, strange strap thing. It's always been differentiated.
Generally this would be a good idea software-wise, but if there start to be multiple screen sizes using auto layout, it clearly doesn't need to be the case.
Entirely presumption.
If. Maybe.
You mean to you, it does. For Apple, you pay proportionally for components. The iPhone is much more expensive than iPads.
Wouldn't need to be the same time, could be. It would be an Apple keynote, I think.
Entirely conjecture that these feelings exist outside your head.
I haven't seen any evidence for this, but it could be true, and could change.
This is the crux of it. I disagree. I think the touch in no way benefits from where it is now, although it did before they had the 5C. The entire iPod category is dying. They need to differentiate the line somehow.
Really did.
There wasn't.
What, it was obvious enough you had no imagination. Yeah.


This post a is joke, and insult. You ignore every single history and logic-based fact that I lay out and instead offer brilliant insight that amounts to "Maybe, maybe not."

 

Glad to know you took it so seriously, and had such a well thought out response. Everything I mentioned was true, and would have to be OVERCOME for anything so substantial (and ridiculous) to change in the very near future.

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

The flagship iPod is a bastard child?

 

Your implication being that this would somehow give it prominence, despite not being an iPhone, not doing what the iPhone can do, and not being designed in any way to compete therewith?

 

So?

 

Or, you know, a perfectly real possibility given that Apple likes to do things without “purpose” these days.

 

Screw them. Apple doesn’t make an xMac either. I guess “all” those people are “massively disappointed”. Or maybe Apple knows not to make worthless products in the first place (meaning a 5.5” iPhone).

 

Guess what device would have the same processor as the iPhone. Just guess.

 

Now. How about when they make a larger one, designed for portable gaming and to be a remote for your other things?

 

Not when it was completely wrong, no. I don’t know what kind of delusion is required to see a flagship product as a bastard child, but it fuels your incorrectness down the rest of the line.

 

Look, at this point I figure there will be a 5.5” iPhone. It’s the single most idiotic thing they’ve done since the G4 Cube, surpassing it in that the G4 Cube had a purpose and use case. But a larger iPod touch remains not only a viable option, but a BETTER IDEA.


None of what I said is incorrect. All of it leads toward the overwhelming likelihood that when/if the iPod touch even gets updated this year....it will be its own, modest update that keeps it in the shadow of the iPhone....but nothing more.

 

You cannot argue that this is always been the case, and you cannot argue that ALL probability is that it will continue to be the case.

 

Flagship iPod is not saying much these days. It says a lot more to say "least popular" iOS device.

 

I have no vendetta against the iPod touch. Its a great product for the role that it plays. The role that it plays. Don't lose sight of that. Because any suggestion that there is 1 new iPhone at 4.7" and 1 new iPod touch at 5.5" has not only lost sight of it, it is down right delusional.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?

I think a button is important to avoid accidental activations.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?

I think a button is important to avoid accidental activations.
It maybe me just thinking but the bottom bezel is just too large and they could reduce it and have the touch ID incorporated into the screen. As for accidental activations, I'm sure Apple have the brains to think of an elegant solution to address the issue.
post #32 of 34
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
None of what I said is incorrect.

 

Yes. It is.

 
...modest update that keeps it in the shadow of the iPhone...

 

A device that isn’t a phone is inherently in the shadow of the iPhone.

 
You cannot argue that this is always been the case, and you cannot argue that ALL probability is that it will continue to be the case.

 

Do you mean what you’re suggesting? Because I agree what you’re suggesting is not the best case.

 
Flagship iPod is not saying much these days.

 

Except it is.

 
It says a lot more to say "least popular" iOS device.

 

So how about making it MORE POPULAR by making it DISTINCTIVE and giving it a dedicated PURPOSE more so than any other iOS device?!

 

The iPhone has telephony.

The iPad has tabletry.

The iPod touch could have gaming, but apparently you don’t want it to be anything more than an iPhone without a phone. Which is exactly what the ‘5.5” iPhone’ will be if it exists instead, because people won’t be able to use it as a phone

 
The role that it plays.

 

Mind explaining how your vision of that role differs from what I just said above? Because it doesn’t have a role right now. It exists to be merely part of what the iPhone already is. It does not have its own purpose.

 
Because any suggestion that there is 1 new iPhone at 4.7" and 1 new iPod touch at 5.5" has not only lost sight of it, it is down right delusional. 

 

And still you’ve given absolutely no justification for this claim.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yes. It is.

 

A device that isn’t a phone is inherently in the shadow of the iPhone.

 

Do you mean what you’re suggesting? Because I agree what you’re suggesting is not the best case.

 

Except it is.

 

So how about making it MORE POPULAR by making it DISTINCTIVE and giving it a dedicated PURPOSE more so than any other iOS device?!

 

The iPhone has telephony.

The iPad has tabletry.

The iPod touch could have gaming, but apparently you don’t want it to be anything more than an iPhone without a phone. Which is exactly what the ‘5.5” iPhone’ will be if it exists instead, because people won’t be able to use it as a phone

 

Mind explaining how your vision of that role differs from what I just said above? Because it doesn’t have a role right now. It exists to be merely part of what the iPhone already is. It does not have its own purpose.

 

And still you’ve given absolutely no justification for this claim.


Wow you are just awful. Not only do you not refute a single point, a single FACT that I state....you offer no counter argument, other than some ludicrous opinion that you harbor about how the iPod touch is misaligned....I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK ITS MISALIGNED. It has nothing to do with this discussion.

 

I'm talking about WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS, IN THE REAL WORLD!

 

"Doesn't have a role right now" Yes, actually, it does. Not the role you THINK IT SHOULD HAVE....but I don't give a shit what you THINK it should have!

 

"How about making it more popular and more distinctive" And what? Lose money? No. Sorry. $199 iPod touch. $650 iPhone. Derp. Which should be manipulated into the position of prominence?

 

You are not worth talking to about things like this, because you harbor your own off-the-wall opinions, and pass them off as if "this is what makes sense, and what should have been happening all along" and then you argue with me that HISTORICALLY THE WAY IT IS and WILL CONTINUE TO BE does not make sense....because it does not align with your made up opinion.

 

At no point am I expressing MY OWN opinion. I'm summarizing what has been DONE ALREADY, and what WILL CONTINUE to be done based on that history. For some reason you seem incapable of understanding that. Instead, you'd rather pretend that your opinion of what should happen is somehow more likely, or even possible, just because it makes sense to you.

post #34 of 34
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
Not only do you not refute a single point... ...you offer no counter argument...

 

So you didn’t read the post? Either that or you think you can disagree with me without presenting your reasoning.

 
...a single FACT that I state...

 

You didn’t state any, so of course I can’t refute them.

 
...some ludicrous opinion that you harbor about how the iPod touch is misaligned...

 

If it was actually ludicrous, it should have been easy to refute. Ah, well.

 
I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK ITS MISALIGNED. It has nothing to do with this discussion.


We’re discussing the iPod touch, but hey, if you think discussing the iPod touch isn’t relevant to discussing the iPod touch, that’s on you.

 
I'm talking about WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS, IN THE REAL WORLD!

 

And I already mentioned that, if you had read the post: it’s half an iPhone, without distinction of its own, receiving only a subsection of the iPhone’s hardware and features and being nothing that isn’t covered by another product they sell.

 

The iPhone is a phone. The iPad is a tablet. The iPod touch is... not its own thing. A 5.5” model aimed at specific tasks would MAKE it its own thing.

 
 ...I don't give a shit what you THINK it should have!

 

Then why should I care what you think? What does your opinion (because, again, you’ve presented no fact) matter to me, or anyone else, with that attitude? It’s one thing to dismiss opinion when there is no room therefor–such as in the case of an objectively right or factual presentation–but this is not that.

 
"How about making it more popular and more distinctive" And what? Lose money?

 

Because Apple is so well known for selling products at a loss, huh. Because selling more products (on which every unit makes a profit, mind) would lead to losing money. That makes sense, I guess.

 
No. Sorry. $199 iPod touch. $650 iPhone. Derp.

 

Who said anything about changing the price? Who said anything about a 5.5” iPod touch costing more than any iPhone? A 5.5” could go for $299. Boom.

 
Which should be manipulated into the position of prominence?

 

Whichever one has the largest $ amount in its margins, I’d imagine.

 
...and then you argue with me that HISTORICALLY THE WAY IT IS and WILL CONTINUE TO BE does not make sense...

 

Well, I never said that. I laid out what it has been historically, explained that it doesn’t make sense within the context of their entire lineup, and provided a way to make the iPod touch fit with that lineup. If you have your own thoughts on this matter, or have thoughts as to why the iPod touch, Apple’s only product that does not have a purpose as defined by every other product they sell, doesn’t deserve a better lot, this is where you’d post that.

 
At no point am I expressing MY OWN opinion.

 

Sure did. Examples:

 

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

-The iPod touch is the bastard child of the iOS device family.

-When the iPhone is released in 2 sizes, the larger will be the "more expensive, premium".

-I don't care if you don't believe size = premium. To Apple it does.

-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone

 

In order:

The iPod touch is the flagship of the iPod line.

The iPhone has never been released in two sizes.

No, it does not.

There would be no “massive disappointment”. There would be no more “disappointment” than there was when Apple didn’t launch the 4S and 5 at the same time. Or when they didn’t make an xMac. Or when they didn’t make a 2.5” iPhone.

Yes. Now. Because it is neither intentionally or exclusively larger than the iPhone. But I’m showing you how, IF this happens, it WOULD benefit.

 
 I'm summarizing what has been DONE ALREADY, and what WILL CONTINUE to be done based on that history.

 

Yep, that’s generally what I do, too. Now, what would have been a “ludicrous” assumption to make is something not based on what we know. That’s why I was certain the 6th iPhone wouldn’t be called ‘iPhone 5’–because everything we knew up to then said it wouldn’t be.

 

Guess what we know now and have known for many months? Apple is making a 5.5” device. Everyone calls it an iPhone, but as a phone said device is too large to be used. Period. Irrefutably. So what other products does Apple make already that would benefit from a 5.5” version? Not the iPad–good heavens, no. What else... ah, the iPod touch. But why would the iPod touch benefit from being 5.5”? Well, what does the iPod touch do now? It plays music and generally games. But so does the iPhone. In fact, the iPod touch does just about everything the iPhone does, without the phone. That’s all it is. An iPhone without the phone. The flagship product in an entire category of products is merely a subsidiary to another product in another category. That’s not true of any other product in any other category of Apple’s. So why not fix that? Why not make the iPod touch its own product with its own purpose? Something the iPhone and iPad can’t do? Hey, what if that 5.5” iPhone–the one too large to be used as a phone and therefore worthless in that regard–is actually a 5.5” iPod touch? Then Apple could drop an A8 in it and position it against the Nintendo 3DS LL and Playstation Vita. A gaming handheld for kids/anyone that happens to run the best mobile OS on Earth and has a camera, FaceTime, and everything else. And hey, why not have one of those around for home automation, too? Use it as a remote/game controller for an Apple TV, use it to control appliances and lighting–the size makes it better than an iPad or iPhone to do, too.

 

It was a challenge to write the above paragraph. I had to wrack my brain for an expounded version of what literally runs through it in seconds. I don’t know if everyone else is supposed to be able to process this quickly; I only have my own head’s to judge against. So forgive me if I’m confused why you 1. didn’t draw this same conclusion immediately 2. didn’t seem to draw it at all. To me it’s just common sense, and I can go through it quickly. Apologies if my position wasn’t clear beforehand; I can’t tell what is and is not common knowledge to others. Because of that, let me know if I skipped a step in the logic above.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/4/14 at 10:13am

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple patent embeds physical iPhone control, feedback components beneath flexible display