or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon winding down stock of 32GB iPhone 5c ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iPhone 6'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon winding down stock of 32GB iPhone 5c ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iPhone 6'

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
U.S. carrier Verizon Wireless is burning through the last of its high-capacity 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c inventory, with almost all units now out of stock in its online store, in anticipation of a replacement with Apple's next-generation lineup of handsets, AppleInsider has learned.




An anonymous tipster reached out this week to claim that the carrier has "retired" the 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c. According to this person, the company plans to sell its remaining inventory and then will not replenish ahead of the anticipated Sept. 9 unveiling of Apple's fall 2014 iPhone lineup.

Corroborating this tip is the fact that Verizon's online store is currently sold out of the 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c in all colors except blue. The carrier remains fully stocked with 16-gigabyte models, as well as all versions of the iPhone 5s.

In contrast, Verizon's chief rival, AT&T, appears to have all colors of the 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c in stock as of Tuesday. The nearly-year-old handset sells for $199.99 at AT&T, but Verizon has discounted the 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c to $99.99 with a two-year commitment.

Verizon is also aggressively discounting the iPhone 5s, selling the entry-level 16-gigabyte model for $99.99 with contract, 32 gigabytes for $149.99, and 64 gigabytes for $199.99. When bought through Apple, those phones are priced at $199, $299, and $399, respectively.

Verizon appears to be clearing inventory ahead of Apple's anticipated Sept. 9 unveiling of the so-called "iPhone 6." But the nearly complete stock-out of the 32-gigabyte iPhone 5c at Verizon could be a sign that the model will no longer be a part of Apple's iPhone lineup going forward.



The Wall Street Journal claimed back in January that Apple would scrap the iPhone 5c this year. The mid-range model was introduced in 2013, running essentially the same components as the 2012 iPhone 5, but sporting a new plastic back that came in a colorful array of options.

Apple itself has admitted that market share of the iPhone 5c was lower than the company expected it to be, a fact that critics have used to characterize the handset as a "flop." However, Apple has also revealed that the iPhone 5c has helped the company see its highest growth in the mid-range market, outpacing year-over-year growth of its higher (iPhone 5s) and lower (iPhone 4s) priced options last quarter.

Verizon joins Walmart and other retailers in discounting Apple's 2013 iPhone lineup ahead of hotly anticipated new models. It's rumored that Apple's "iPhone 6" will come in two screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches, and if the company sticks to its usual release pattern, the next-generation handset will go on sale Friday, Sept. 19.
post #2 of 29
Any news yet of staff at Apple or mobile phone stores not being allowed to take holidays on the expected launch week as I believe was reported last year ?
post #3 of 29

Here we come iPhone Color

 

FY 2015 lineup:

iPhone 6 Air - 5.5 inch, Sapphire, Faster A8 - starts at $750

iPhone 6 - 4.7 inch - starts at $650

iPhone Color - basically iPhone5S in plastic - starts at $550

iPhone 5C - only 8 and 16GB - starts at $400

 

Why the change in name?  Because Apple does not want to tarnish the iPhone6 name on a 4 inch plastic phone with last years internals.  They cannot call it the iPhone6C. Plus they are transitioning to a non-number lineup

 

FY2016 lineup:

 

iPhone Air - 5.5 inch, Sapphire, A9 - $750

iPhone - 4.7 inch, A9 - $650

iPhoneColor - 4.7 inch plastic (basically 6 in plastic) - $550

iPhoneMini - 4.0 inch plastic (basically 5S in plastic) - $450

iPhone 5C - only for India, Africa, China, ect - $350

 

By next year the iPhone line up will transition out of number designation and into description designation.  It will be a 4 tier lineup simuliar to the iPod.  We are already seeing this transition with the iPad - Air, MiniRetina, Mini.


Edited by sog35 - 8/26/14 at 6:37am
post #4 of 29
@sog35 or...
iPhone pro
iPhone air
iPhone 6c
iPhone 5c
post #5 of 29
FYI, they're also low on stock of iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 refurbished units (for warranty/extended protection replacement). They just sent me a 5s as a replacement for a 5 because it's all they had. The lady on the phone said they're also doing that for iPhone 4 right now due to lack of inventory.

I'm not sure if that has any relevance to a new product cycle in September, but it's a good time to get your phone replaced if it's a 4 or 5! 1smile.gif
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

@sog35 or...
iPhone pro
iPhone air
iPhone 6c
iPhone 5c

 

What is the iPhone 6C?

Would that be a 5S in plastic shell?

Or a 6 in a plastic shell?

 

I don't think Apple would do either.  I don't think they want to tarnish the 6 name by repackaging a 5S and calling it a 6C.

Nor do I think they can justify charging $100 less for a 6 in a plastic shell.

 

I do like the first two names.

 

iPhone Pro - 5.5 - $750

iPhone Air - 4.7 - $650

iPhone Color - 4.0 - basically 5S in plastic - $550

iPhone 5C - $400

post #7 of 29

I do not believe they will repackage the 5S in plastic, as this would then appear too similar to the 5C to justify the price differential. It would be simpler to continue with both the 5C and the 5S exactly as they are now. This avoids having to make any alterations to their production lines. Also these models are well-known in the market, and any changes would require advertising support which would detract emphasis from the new 4.7 and 5.5 phones.

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

iPhone Color - 4.0 - basically 5S in plastic - $550

 

 

I'm trying to remember the last time "color" was an effective marketing differentiator. 

 

Printers, sure.  And the original iMac made use of color, but that wasn't integral to its name.

 

Maybe it says something about my age that when I hear the word "color" in a marketing context, I flashback to this:

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

 

Or maybe it says something about your prediction.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #9 of 29
No more numbers such as 6,7,8

iPhone Pro - 5.5 - $750
iPhone Air - 4.7 - $650
iPhone Mini - 4.0 - $550

lines up with Mac pro/air/mini

iPhone 4S - 3.5 - will still be sold in other countries as the cheapest option.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestByfleet View Post
 

I do not believe they will repackage the 5S in plastic, as this would then appear too similar to the 5C to justify the price differential. It would be simpler to continue with both the 5C and the 5S exactly as they are now. This avoids having to make any alterations to their production lines. Also these models are well-known in the market, and any changes would require advertising support which would detract emphasis from the new 4.7 and 5.5 phones.

 

Problem is the 5S is very expense to make because of its metal case.  And charging $100 less would kill margins.

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post
 

 

I'm trying to remember the last time "color" was an effective marketing differentiator. 

 

Printers, sure.  And the original iMac made use of color, but that wasn't integral to its name.

 

Maybe it says something about my age that when I hear the word "color" in a marketing context, I flashback to this:

 

 

 

 

 

Short memory much?

 

post #12 of 29
My take (IMHO), since everyone else is guesstimating:

iPhone 5C (16GB only, one color only - probably white) - FREE on contract
iPhone 5SC (the 5S in plastic, multiple colors, various memory sizes) - 16GB will be $99 on contract
iPhone Air (the 4.7" iPhone 6, in gold/silver/spacegray) - lowest memory size is 32GB at $199 on contract
iPhone Pro (the 5.5" iPhone 6, or "6L") - 32GB at $299 on contract
post #13 of 29
This isn't really news.
In the Netherlands, telco KPN isn't offering any iPhone in leu of the impending refresh.
No iPhone 5C, no iPhone 5S.
Only offer is the iPhone 5c 8GB.
All models aren't being stocked due the impending iPhone refresh in October.
Can submit proof if needed, but given September announcement , all orders are cancelled.
post #14 of 29
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post
iPhone pro

 

What a horrible name for a product unusable to consumers and professionals alike.

 

Originally posted by sog35
 Short memory much?

 

He said ‘effective’.

 

Originally Posted by Trubador View Post
...iPhone 5SC...

 

At least you got the name right. Now all we can hope is that it doesn’t exist at all.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

My take (IMHO), since everyone else is guesstimating:

iPhone 5C (16GB only, one color only - probably white) - FREE on contract
iPhone 5SC (the 5S in plastic, multiple colors, various memory sizes) - 16GB will be $99 on contract
iPhone Air (the 4.7" iPhone 6, in gold/silver/spacegray) - lowest memory size is 32GB at $199 on contract
iPhone Pro (the 5.5" iPhone 6, or "6L") - 32GB at $299 on contract

 

iPhone 5SC sounds quite awkward.

 

IF they are goinging away from the number designation they should do so across the whole line:

 

iPhonePro - 5.5

iPhone Air - 4.7

iPhone Mini - 4.0 - 5S in plastic - in different colors as the 5C

******

iPhone 5C - only for India, China, Russia, Brazil.  Only in White Color.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

 

 

He said ‘effective’.

 

 

 

 

 

The 5C was the #2 phone in the entire world for months.  It was VERY effective.

 

Not only did it sell a boat load but it also increased Apple's margins.

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

At least you got the name right. Now all we can hope is that it doesn’t exist at all.

 

So are you going to chicken out on my bet or what?

 

If Apple stops making the 5S this year you need to ban yourself for a month.

If Apple keeps on making the 5S this year than I'll ban myself for a month.

 

The winner reserves the right to unban the loser at any time.

 

Stop skirting the issue.  Are you game or what?

post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So are you going to chicken out on my bet or what?

If Apple stops making the 5S this year you need to ban yourself for a month.
If Apple keeps on making the 5S this year than I'll ban myself for a month.

The winner reserves the right to unban the loser at any time.

Stop skirting the issue.  Are you game or what?

Check with Benjamin Frost. He might be up for it.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #19 of 29
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
The 5C was the #2 phone in the entire world for months.  It was VERY effective.

 

Not as effective as Apple wanted. Meaning they sold less than Apple wanted. MEANING THAT APPLE WANTED MORE OF THEM TO BE SOLD THAN WERE SOLD. Meaning that your theory of purposely gimping devices to sell the new one is WRONG.

 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
So are you going to chicken out on my bet or what?

 

I already told you how this behavior makes you appear. Just answer questions when people ask them instead of acting this way.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

-rebuttal-

 

I see that "integral to the product name" (bolded and italicized) sailed right past you. 

 

Your mileage may vary, but the literal "Color" in a product name strikes me as trite and overused.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post
 

 

I see that "integral to the product name" (bolded and italicized) sailed right past you. 

 

Your mileage may vary, but the literal "Color" in a product name strikes me as trite and overused.

 

So what does the C in iPhone5C mean?

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Not as effective as Apple wanted. Meaning they sold less than Apple wanted. MEANING THAT APPLE WANTED MORE OF THEM TO BE SOLD THAN WERE SOLD. Meaning that your theory of purposely gimping devices to sell the new one is WRONG.

 

 

I already told you how this behavior makes you appear. Just answer questions when people ask them instead of acting this way.

 

Show me where Apple said they were disappointed in 5C sales.

 

 

 

I guess you are chicken.  Fine.  Glad we got that cleared up.  You talk a big game but not willing to risk a self ban.  On the other hand I'm willing to back up my words.


Edited by sog35 - 8/26/14 at 11:06am
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

So what does the C in iPhone5C mean?

 

Explain to the class why Apple chose NOT to name the 5C "iPhone 5 Color" last year.

 

And, using your own argument ("5C"=="Color"), explain why Apple would choose to label two different products with virtually the same non-differentiating concept this year.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

IF they are goinging away from the number designation they should do so across the whole line:

 

iPhone Pro - 5.5

iPhone Air - 4.7

iPhone Mini - 4.0 - 5S in plastic - in different colors as the 5C

Actually, that makes sense… especially if they do come out with an iPad Pro early next year. Keeps the naming conventions consistent across product platforms (even computers, Mac Mini, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro/Mac Pro).

post #25 of 29
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
Show me where Apple said they were disappointed in 5C sales.


K.

 
I guess you are chicken.

 

Just shut up. If you don’t have an argument, don’t post at all. It makes you look less stupid.

 
On the other hand I'm willing to back up my words. 

 

Except not once have you ever done so when questioned. How pathetic.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #26 of 29
I know the "mini" is normally differentiated by screen size. Is the "air" and "pro" also always differentiated by screen size? I'm not familiar with hardware(or software) but it would seem illogical to do so. Btw, I don't believe the 5.5" will come out this year, if ever. The 4.7" will be an effective competitor to the best large phones already out there while Apple won't have to claim it is leading the race of "big is better". Those looking for 5.5" iPhone will likely settle for a 4.7" when all is said and done.

The introduction of the 5C essentially increased sales of the 5S, as customers initially intending to buy the 5C decided to buy the higher quality 5S. The leak of a 5.5" iPhone made more people look at the iPhone and would seriously consider the 4.7" if the 5.5" is delayed or not forthcoming.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 


K.

 

Just shut up. If you don’t have an argument, don’t post at all. It makes you look less stupid.

 

Except not once have you ever done so when questioned. How pathetic.

 

Tim Cook said iPhone5C demand "turned out to be different than we thought,"

He NEVER said he was DISAPPOINTED in the 5C.  It simply was the 5S was so amazing that so many people went for the flagship.  

Again he NEVER said they were DISAPPOINTED in the 5C.  It was nearly impossible for Apple to predict the right demand mix for the 5S/5C because this was the first time that they ever released two new phones at once.  

 

You can twist it all you want.  But in Q2 and Q3 conference calls Apple said the 5C sales were strong.  This is validated by the 5C being the #2 phone in the world multiple months in 2014.

 

 

I have backed up my words.  

By doing a self ban if I'm WRONG.  But of course all you are is hot smoke.  You talk, talk, talk, talk, and talk.  Yet when faced with a self ban you hide like a little coward.

 

Take my challenge - If Apple releases a 5+ phone in 2014 you self ban yourself for 1 month.  If they don't I self ban.

If Apple stops making a metal 5S you ban yourself for 1 month.

If they continue to make a metal 5S in 2015 I ban myself.

Stop avoiding the issue.  

If you don't agree to this challenge than everyone here knows the truth.  

Stop making excuses and MAN UP.  


Edited by sog35 - 8/26/14 at 4:13pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I know the "mini" is normally differentiated by screen size. Is the "air" and "pro" also always differentiated by screen size? I'm not familiar with hardware(or software) but it would seem illogical to do so. Btw, I don't believe the 5.5" will come out this year, if ever. The 4.7" will be an effective competitor to the best large phones already out there while Apple won't have to claim it is leading the race of "big is better". Those looking for 5.5" iPhone will likely settle for a 4.7" when all is said and done.

 

 

No it won't.  

 

For someone who wants a large screen like the Note3 the 4.7 won't do.

 

The 4.7 phone's screen area is actually 40% smaller than a 5.5 phone.

The 4.7 phone's screen area is actually  50% smaller than the 5.7 Note3.

 

If Apple wants to destroy Samdung they NEED to release the 5.5.

And thats the main reason why I have absolute confidence they will release the 5.5.

It just makes too much business sense 


Edited by sog35 - 8/26/14 at 4:22pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No it won't.  

For someone who wants a large screen like the Note3 the 4.7 won't do.

The 4.7 phone's screen area is actually 40% smaller than a 5.5 phone.
The 4.7 phone's screen area is actually  50% smaller than the 5.7 Note3.

If Apple wants to destroy Samdung they NEED to release the 5.5.
And thats the main reason why I have absolute confidence they will release the 5.5.
It just makes too much business sense 
Maybe Apple doesn't want to completely destroy Samsung as they make a good competitor for Google phones.

My geometry skills are out of practice: what are the horizontal and vertical dimensions of a 4.7" and 5.5"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Verizon winding down stock of 32GB iPhone 5c ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iPhone 6'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon winding down stock of 32GB iPhone 5c ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iPhone 6'