or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' speaker assembly revealed by Chinese repair firm

Purported 'iPhone 6' speaker assembly revealed by Chinese repair firm

post #1 of 28
A photo that is said to depict the loudspeaker assembly from Apple's next-generation iPhone surfaced on Tuesday from a wholesale electronics parts supplier in the Far East, alongside pictures of several other supposed "iPhone 6" components.

The speaker is slightly redesigned from its predecessor in the iPhone 5s, though it is difficult to determine its relative size. Also seen for the first time is a vibration motor, as well as a European variant of the larger power adapter that appeared last weekend.

The parts, along with a number of flex cables and structural components that match up with previous leaks, are being offered for sale by China-based wholesaler Elekworld, which sent pictures of the alleged components to AppleInsider on Tuesday. The company is one of thousands of wholesalers located in Shenzhen's famous Huaqiangbei electronics district, near assembly partner Foxconn's primary manufacturing facilities.

Though the parts are obviously impossible to authenticate, individual components that leak in the days leading up to new iPhone or iPad introductions have traditionally had a relatively high ratio of legitimacy. The realities of the global supply chain have made it increasingly difficult for Apple to keep every detail of its upcoming products under wraps as they ramp up production for tens of millions of units.

The company is expected to introduce at least one of its next-generation handsets -- likely a 4.7-inch model -- at a special media event on Sept. 9. General availability would likely come on Sept. 19 if the company sticks to its previously-established release schedules.
post #2 of 28
I hope the speakers are louder.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #3 of 28

I'm not saying the same number of leaks wouldn't happen if manufacturing was done in the US, but at least here Apple could prosecute the people leaking information and product photos. If this hardware is Apple property then it's theft plain and simple. Freedom of speech doesn't have anything to do with this, especially when the China doesn't have that convoluted right.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If they are it'll probably be proof dog (< autocorrupt) sog was right and there is indeed a 5.5" version.

PS You're sig is outdated as Bob & Johnny both died in 2003.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #5 of 28
Still just the one speaker? Have to wait until next year for stereophonic sound, then. My pet ant can't wait.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If they are it'll probably be proof dog (< autocorrupt) sog was right and there is indeed a 5.5" version.

"autocorrupt"—I like that. First time I've seen it. Warning: may steal.

The disappearance of hope and cash in 2003 i'm not going to touch.

Oh, and a bigger phone might just need a louder speaker, for design balance.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

regarding my sig as outdated… that's okay, I'm outdated too!

post #8 of 28
I'm so glad Appleinsider posted this story. It proves that Apple is still the innovative juggernaut it was under Steve Jobs. I can sleep soundly tonight now that I've seen the iPhone 6's incredible speaker assembly.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Warning: may steal.

That's ok. Copy it - everybody else does.
Quote:
The disappearance of hope and cash in 2003 i'm not going to touch.

A shame. Was hoping you would've had cached memories for us¡
Quote:

regarding my sig as outdated… that's okay, I'm outdated too!

LOL. Hey, that applies to me too.
post #10 of 28
Speaker module. How exciting.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 28
I'm sorry but European plugs are just nicer than American ones. They are rounded and just feel more like Apple.
post #12 of 28
They feel the same when you get shocked by them though. 1smile.gif
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
I've been trying to come up with a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm sorry but European plugs are just nicer than American ones. They are rounded and just feel more like Apple.

The only thing I want to feel like Apple, is Apple. Nothing else.

post #14 of 28

It looks like, maybe, that new speaker is dual (high and low frequency) drivers (?). That could be pretty nice.

I find the speaker on my old 4s to be pretty amazing (for what it is) though. No complaints.

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

They feel the same when you get shocked by them though. 1smile.gif

Beg to differ, I've been zapped with 220 Volts.

post #16 of 28
Hey Apple! It's time for dual speakers, like the HTC one got almost 2 years ago now. Stop cutting corners, that is very un-Apple.
post #17 of 28
Originally Posted by pigybank View Post
Hey Apple! It's time for dual speakers, like the HTC one got almost 2 years ago now. Stop cutting corners, that is very un-Apple.

Keep your FUD to yourself.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Keep your FUD to yourself.

Agreed, it's a phone, what do you need stereo speakers for?

Quote:

Louder doesn't automatically make them better.

post #19 of 28
Quote:

It's a phone, not a portable transistor radio from the 70s.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

It's a phone, not a portable transistor radio from the 70s.

Which, despite occupying an order of magnitude more physical space, still had only one speaker!

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #21 of 28
Quote:

Sooooo, duplicating another phones feature is more "Apple-like"!?

Lol

Explain the benefit of dual speakers?
macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Quote:

Sooooo, duplicating another phones feature is more "Apple-like"!?

Lol

Explain the benefit of dual speakers?

Maybe he wants to listen to music in s-t-e-r-e-o, putting his head in a equilateral triangle¡
post #23 of 28

Benefits of 2 speakers:

• Louder overall volume (for those of us hard of hearing and who don't always want earbuds in)

• Music in Stereo

• Easier to avoid blocking sound with your hand while holding the phone

• BECAUSE I WANT IT

Also, dual speakers is a no brainer, and was a no brainer even bore the HTC One made it to market.  The fact that competitor

beat Apple to market with a dual speaker phone is irrelevant.  Stereo speakers have been around for years and for audio listening

are basically a standard so Apple wouldn't be "copying" anybody.  To say Apple shouldn't have dual speakers because it would be

copying HTC would be like saying Mercedes shouldn't have seat belts because Volvo had them first.

post #24 of 28
Quote:

Benefits of 2 speakers:

• Louder overall volume (for those of us hard of hearing and who don't always want earbuds in)

The loudness benefit of an additional speaker is pretty small, only 3 dB. That's roughly the amount of one click up or down on the iPhone volume control. While it may intuitively seem that two speakers should be twice as loud as one (a difference of 10 dB), the laws of physics don't work that way.

Weigh that against the space requirements of adding another speaker into a really small device and the trade-off isn't worth it. You'd either have to make the phone bigger or use even smaller than the already way-too-small speaker you have now. In the latter case the result would be a device that sounds WORSE, not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

• Music in Stereo

If you can find a way to jam both your ears in between the two speakers on the iPhone, yes. If your body is larger than a toy action figure, no. Assuming both speakers are on the bottom of the device, they are so close together as to be perceived as a single point source by your auditory system. You will not get any perception of stereo.

As another poster pointed out in another thread, you could put one speaker on the bottom and another on the top, and thus get a very small spacial sense, but you'd still have to deal with the speaker size issue mentioned above, which is a much greater detriment to the aural experience than listening in mono.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

^ post

Thanks for setting the record straight!
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

The loudness benefit of an additional speaker is pretty small, only 3 dB. That's roughly the amount of one click up or down on the iPhone volume control. While it may intuitively seem that two speakers should be twice as loud as one (a difference of 10 dB), the laws of physics don't work that way.

Weigh that against the space requirements of adding another speaker into a really small device and the trade-off isn't worth it. You'd either have to make the phone bigger or use even smaller than the already way-too-small speaker you have now. In the latter case the result would be a device that sounds WORSE, not better.

If you can find a way to jam both your ears in between the two speakers on the iPhone, yes. If your body is larger than a toy action figure, no. Assuming both speakers are on the bottom of the device, they are so close together as to be perceived as a single point source by your auditory system. You will not get any perception of stereo.

As another poster pointed out in another thread, you could put one speaker on the bottom and another on the top, and thus get a very small spacial sense, but you'd still have to deal with the speaker size issue mentioned above, which is a much greater detriment to the aural experience than listening in mono.

So what you're saying is that HTC can manage a phone with dual speakers and louder sound without making the device noticeably larger or clunky but that Apple is simply incapable of such a feat?

The HTC one is a sleek phone with a larger screen, louder sound, and 2 speakers... in stereo. The resulting device isn't excessively clunky, nor is the sound worse. It is better. Apple could EASILY accomplish this. In fact, I'm fairly certain they could far exceed HTC's implementation.

Furthermore, you completely ignore my point that it would be easier to hold the device without your hand inadvertently covering the lone speaker.

Lastly, as an Apple consumer and investor, I would like stereo speakers on the iPhone. I know what I want so trying to convince me I don't want it is pointless. You don't have to want the same things. It doesn't mean I'm wrong or that you're wrong. It means we have different needs / wants as consumers.
post #27 of 28
Wow. For someone not getting it, you sure aren't getting it. Not the point. Not Apple. Not the how and why. Please stick around. You'll stand out of the more informed.
post #28 of 28
...Apple is simply incapable of such a feat?

No one, anywhere, has said this.

...in stereo.

You say that as though the size of the device lends itself to the format.

Furthermore, you completely ignore my point that it would be easier to hold the device without your hand inadvertently covering the lone speaker.

So, honestly, just don’t hold it that way. Who covers the speaker? I hold mine with my pinky underneath, but it falls in the middle–on the port.

...as an Apple consumer and investor...

That’s meaningless to your argument.

I know what I want so trying to convince me I don't want it is pointless.

Enjoy your faster horse, then. We’ll keep our cars.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported 'iPhone 6' speaker assembly revealed by Chinese repair firm