or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut

post #1 of 116
Apple will expand the iPad lineup in early 2015 with a new, larger 12.9-inch model flanking the existing 9.7-inch iPad Air and 7.9-inch iPad mini, a new report claims.

iPad Air
The iPad Air is currently Apple's largest tablet with a 9.7-inch display.

Citing unnamed "people with knowledge of the matter," Bloomberg reported on Tuesday that suppliers are already preparing to manufacture Apple's jumbo-sized iPad. Full-scale manufacturing of the device is reportedly set to begin in the first quarter of next year.

As for what the new iPad might offer aside from a larger display, no new details were provided. Some have speculated that the device could be a so-called "iPad Pro," serving as a way to integrate more power user and traditional laptop functions into the device, including a potential keyboard dock.

In the meantime, Apple is also expected to go bigger with the iPhone, as the company is said to be planning launch two new models with larger screens this fall. Specifically, Apple is rumored to hold a Sept. 9 event where the company will unveil iPhones with screen sizes of 4.7 and 5.5 inches.

Retina iPad mini review

Apple's existing iPad Air and iPad mini are also expected to see updates this fall, giving the devices the Touch ID fingerprint sensor that's currently exclusive to the iPhone 5s. But the so-called "iPad Pro" won't make it in time for the holiday season, Tuesday's report suggested.

If Apple does expand the iPad lineup, it comes at a time when the company's tablet sales have slowed, falling slightly over the last two quarters. But Apple signaled to investors in July that the company remains bullish on the future of the tablet market, as Chief Executive Tim Cook teased that the company is planning innovations in hardware, software and services.

"What's important to us is that customers are enjoying their iPads and using them heavily," Cook said.

Word of a 12.9-inch iPad has been supported by connected KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who signaled early this year that the device wouldn't be ready for a fall 2014 launch. He expects that the new, larger iPad will require a revised operating system to take advantage of the larger display.
post #2 of 116
I wonder if there will be a 5.5-inch "jumbo iPod touch..."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #3 of 116
Choice is always good, within reason, but I'm hard pressed to see how for myself something larger than my iPad Air would be good for me.
post #4 of 116
Can't imagine this will be a big seller given the price premium they would charge and the $100 for every bit above 16GB.

My iPad Mini set me back $900 loaded.... this would be priced well above the 13" Air.
post #5 of 116
I guess we need to modify Cook's comment from 2013:
Quote:
"you will see exciting new products from us in the fall and across 2014 2015."

Are we getting anything from Apple this fall besides a new iPhone and iPad? Based on Broadwell release it looks like new Macs won't be ready until next year.
post #6 of 116

I'd be first in line to get one, especially if it enhances music and art/graphics creation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 116
I see this iPad as being more of a DCC machine. I see it as being less about carrying it around and more about it being a nice complement to your desktop setup. I see it being the preferred size for Photogs, video mavens and music creators.

I could see the RAM doubling and these coming in a quad core configuration.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #8 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd be first in line to get one.

Not if I get there first! :P
post #9 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I guess we need to modify Cook's comment from 2013:
Are we getting anything from Apple this fall besides a new iPhone and iPad? Based on Broadwell release it looks like new Macs won't be ready until next year.

I'm still banking on the rMBA to debut this Fall.

post #10 of 116
Completely pointless unless Apple is willing to go the Hybrid route, which they are less likely to do than they are to release a 13" iPad.
post #11 of 116

surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc

post #12 of 116

Can't wait. I really want one of these to go along with my 5.5" iPhone. Perfect combo.

post #13 of 116

I’ve been waiting for this for nearly eight years. Here’s one place a larger screen can only be better.

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Completely pointless unless Apple is willing to go the Hybrid route...

So you don’t know what a tablet is, then.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #14 of 116
I'm waiting for sog35 to say how this proves there will be a 5.5" iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 116

I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

post #16 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I'm still banking on the rMBA to debut this Fall.
I hope so. MBA's are perfect except for the non-retina display. And Yosemite was definitely designed with retina display in mind.
post #17 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

surely any large iPad would need to have a good stylus style method of drawing / taking notes. No not like the Tab - more like using a decent pencil or felt pen on paper experience. sure you should not need a stylus simply to use and iPad - Jobs already said that was a fail - but it not having a really good stylus option really precludes an iPad from taking notes / helping create ideas etc
I never get why people claim a stylus = fail. Obviously what Steve was referring to was resistive screens that required a stylus to be useful. That's not the same as using a stylus for note taking or for artists where I think proper stylus report would be super useful.
post #18 of 116
Quote:

I never get why people claim a stylus = fail. Obviously what Steve was referring to was resistive screens that required a stylus to be useful. That's not the same as using a stylus for note taking or for artists where I think proper stylus report would be super useful.

A larger iPad with an optional stylus (and palm rejection) as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I just can't see this happening.  If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

In most cases- I agree.  I cant see a 12" iPad being more than a niche.  But I'm willing to listen to what others think the advantage might be- so far no one has said anything outside of drawing... 

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #20 of 116
I love how close-minded everyone in this thread is. A larger iPad has its place, especially for those that are used primarily at home. My parents use the iPad Air has their main computing device, and they ALWAYS ask me if theres a bigger version. Larger laptop availability is irrelevant, as people like my parents that are used to the iPad, love using it and despise using anything else. Larger screen real estate would be great for many.
post #21 of 116
Quote:

A larger iPad with a stylus as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

I agree with you.

And It was brilliant implementation with the original iPad that a stylus was simply not needed. As the iPad has improved, especially the screen resolution - the capability of fine line notes and drawings would now really befit from the partnership of a good fast active stylus. A stylus that you only popped out of its integral holder when you wanted to draw and annotate sketches and drawings. It needs to be MUCH better than the crap stylus available for iPads ( even the jot is pretty much useless)

post #22 of 116
Different strokes for different folks.

I want a ipad mini size tablet to replace my home theater Control4 home automation brand remote with hard buttons.

It needs to be able to hold ALL my music in lossless format.
Itunes music app needs to available by the new "extensions" feature by control4 software (so i am not constantly swapping apps).

The music library tags should be MODIFIABLE so i can tag while listening as opposed to using my laptop to listen via airplay (and tagging if i need to)

I still rip original cd's into lossless because CD is still better than mp3 downloads.

Why i am still waiting for the perfect home theater / music interface I don't know. I hope apple is working on these issues with homekit.
post #23 of 116

Because tablets aren’t laptops.

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
A larger iPad has its place, especially for those that are used primarily at home.

Large (iPad, all sizes) and small (5.5” iPod touch, rest of iDevices) sets of controls for a wise home, too. 

post #24 of 116
we have a mini....

So would this be a MAXI....Ipad...

MaxIpad?
post #25 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because tablets aren’t laptops.

Large (iPad, all sizes) and small (5.5” iPhone, rest of iDevices) sets of controls for a wise home, too. 

Fixed it for you ;)

post #26 of 116
Quote:

A larger iPad with an optional stylus (and palm rejection) as accurate and responsive as a Wacom tablet would be a dream come true.

Yes, and I can not see this not happening for a device that would be a sure fire hit with illustrators, designers and other visual creatives. 

post #27 of 116
Quote:

My parents ... ALWAYS ask me if theres a bigger version.

Do they both have Alzheimer"s?

Why would they ask more than once?

post #28 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

we have a mini....

So would this be a MAXI....Ipad...

MaxIpad?

iPad Pro... sure, why not.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 116

I'd buy one right away!

To the people saying that this is useless. No it's not. Your comment is what's useless and you are dead wrong.

Plenty of people will buy an iPad 12.9". I already have the mini and the retina, so bring on the iPad Pro or whatever the hell it's going to be called! 

A lot of the things that people do on an iPad would be enhanced and become more enjoyable by having a larger display. 

I don't give a crap if it costs $1000 to start, make it powerful, make it extra large and make it sexy! Tons of people will be buying the 12.9" iPad!

post #30 of 116
Quote:

If you need larger than the iPad Air, why not just buy a MBA?

Why the hell would I want a MBA? 

A MBA is useless for a person who wants an iPad.

post #31 of 116

Jobs saved Apple by streamlining the product range. Cook is reversing everything and cannibalising their own products.

Saying that, large iPad, yes please.

post #32 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Jobs saved Apple by streamlining the product range. Cook is reversing everything and cannibalising their own products.

Saying that, large iPad, yes please.

I don't agree.

Jobs got rid of a lot of the crap products when he came back on board, but Apple has often had various size options for many of their products, even after Jobs returned.

Do you not remember all of the powerbook sizes? What about all of the different iPod sizes available? That was all under Jobs.

Apple only has two sizes of the iPad available at the moment, a 7.9", and a 9.7". Adding a third iPad size at 12.9" is not going overboard for Apple at all, even if compared to when Jobs was running things.

post #33 of 116
Quote:

Quote:

My parents ... ALWAYS ask me if theres a bigger version.

Sheesh.... guys like you are the reason that internet forums get a bum rap sometimes....

post #34 of 116
Quote:

iPad Pro - the tablet that can replace your MBA?

post #35 of 116
Quote:

You don't know anyone that doesn't have their finger on the pulse of technology but know that you do so when they see you they ask you about it knowing you'll have the answers? If that constitutes Alzheimer's then most people I know have it.

post #36 of 116
A large IPad is total since, if it's goal is to replace laptops, laptop size screens help.
post #37 of 116
Quote:

One of his main arguments however, is that a stylus gets lost. It gets broken. You end up losing it and the device is useless.  I had a TabletPC back in the day and it was a great laptop. But that's all I used it for because the within a month or two the little pocket clip broke off the stylus so it wouldn't stay in the little hole in the laptop. I then lost it in about another month.  That plus Windows XP Tablet Edition wasn't the same thing as iOS since it was just Windows with some drivers and an onscreen keyboard.

So the argument is still valid in my opinion.  But yes, there is a time and place for a good pressure sensitive and accurate stylus.

post #38 of 116
post #39 of 116
Oh great! Now there'll be an even LARGER glass surface I'll have to constantly wipe fingerprints off of.
post #40 of 116
A bigger iPad would be great for students.

It would be great for artists.

It would be great for musicians.

It would be great for a lot of people. Make it so, Apple!
FEAR GOOGLE
FEAR GOOGLE
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut