or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumored circular True Tone flash for 4.7" and 5.5" 'iPhone 6' detailed in new photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumored circular True Tone flash for 4.7" and 5.5" 'iPhone 6' detailed in new photos

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Seemingly confirming ongoing rumors that Apple's next iPhone will feature a redesigned 'True Tone' flash unit, an electronics wholesaler on Tuesday published high-resolution pictures of circular dual-LED flash assemblies supposedly bound for both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" models.


Purported 'iPhone 6' True Tone flash for 4.7-inch (left) and 5.5-inch versions.


Following up on a parts "leak" earlier on Tuesday, Chinese smartphone repair company ElekWorld posted pictures of newly stocked parts, including purported "iPhone 6" power flex cables with round multi-colored flash assemblies.

Offered in both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch variations, both cables feature what appears to be a dual-LED flash assembly with "cool" and "warm" tints, a hallmark of Apple's branded True Tone technology.

Further, the round flash lines up with a series of purportedly leaked iPhone 6 rear shells, each featuring a round hole for the rear camera's flash unit. It was previously speculated that the circular opening was merely a placeholder for what would ultimately house the familiar pill-shaped port seen in the iPhone 5s.

Also worth noting is the location of the sleep/wake actuator, which resides on one end of the flex cable, opposite a low-profile connector. Judging by the positioning in relation to the flash unit, the button could be side-mounted as rumored in multiple reports. An identical component for the rumored 4.7-inch next-gen iPhone was seen amid a cache of purportedly leaked parts earlier this month.

Apple first introduced the True Tone flash with the iPhone 5s last year, saying the dual-LED setup helps even out color temperatures in low-light situations for more natural looking photos.
post #2 of 28
Son Of a Gun - a 5.5 rumor -
post #3 of 28
Glad to see this, when I first saw the circular flash leaked, I had some concernthat the True Tone flash was going away. True Tone flash is outstanding, took a few pics of my kids the other day in not so great lighting and the results were terrific.
post #4 of 28
I think this is a good counterexample for the people who are always accusing Apple of following "form over function". They wanted a two-tone flash, discovered the devices just weren't available to do it all-in-one, and brought it out anyway, despite the inelegant appearance of the pill-shaped hole. Then, they worked on getting it into more Apple-like form.
post #5 of 28
Hmm. Sorta surprised to see two separate designs for a component like this. But I'm no electronics engineer.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I think this is a good counterexample for the people who are always accusing Apple of following "form over function". They wanted a two-tone flash, discovered the devices just weren't available to do it all-in-one, and brought it out anyway, despite the inelegant appearance of the pill-shaped hole. Then, they worked on getting it into more Apple-like form.

I personally find neither pill not circular shaped any more appealing than the other. Just my preference. Hope the flash stays just as good.
post #7 of 28
5.5", the beast.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Hmm. Sorta surprised to see two separate designs for a component like this. But I'm no electronics engineer.

The two designs look to be primarily related to the actuator button being lower down the side of one device than the other, and making room for a slightly different configuration of other internals between the two versions. 

post #9 of 28
4.7 or 5.5... Decisions decisions... Common sept 9
post #10 of 28

So why would Apple make two versions of the flash?

Cause they are making two phones.

5.5 is real.

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Son Of a Gun - a 5.5 rumor -

This must mean that sog35 does exist!

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

When I first saw the circular flash leaked, I had some concernthat the True Tone flash was going away.

That's funny. When I saw the circular shape my instinct was "oh cool they've redesigned true tone into a single bulb instead of using two separate bulbs".
post #13 of 28
Called it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #14 of 28
Maybe Apple should put stereo flash lamps into the new iPhone to keep up with HTC. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Son Of a Gun - a 5.5 rumor -
This must mean that sog35 does exist!

He should create a new user account, Son Of a Gun 5.5, SOG5.5 for short.

And then have a chuckle if the 5.5" device doesn't have cellular capability, making that iPod a VoIP device.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Called it.
Double called it.

Lol

Saw many people fearing it (true tone) wasn't going to be there or that the circle was a "place holder" for the bill shaped true tone....my first thought was, "why can't true tone be circular?"

Lol

I mean, they can create magic ...why should we doubt their ability to make a light circular.

Touch ID is much more complicated than that.

Bottom line, the pill shape doesn't look right next to the circular lens of the camera and probably aesthetically bother the Ish out of Ive. Lol
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NailedToTheX View Post

4.7 or 5.5... Decisions decisions... Common sept 9


Which color and capacity will you choose to buy?

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

5.5", the beast.

Pocket test at 7:50 of the 5.5" Note 2 vs current iPhone:



The following review mentions the need to have a smaller phone anyway for nights out and the gym:

http://allthingsd.com/20121029/dear-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-its-not-you-its-me/

That's the problem with convergence devices is they don't do the job of either device well enough. A phablet can't replace a small phone because it's not manageable in every scenario and it can't replace a tablet because it's too small.

A 5.5" iPhone would sell a fraction of the units of the 5C and be considered a failure so why bother? They can always discontinue it once they find this out of course.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


That's funny. When I saw the circular shape my instinct was "oh cool they've redesigned true tone into a single bulb instead of using two separate bulbs".

 

ok.

post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

5.5", the beast.

Pocket test at 7:50 of the 5.5" Note 2 vs current iPhone:



The following review mentions the need to have a smaller phone anyway for nights out and the gym:

http://allthingsd.com/20121029/dear-samsungs-galaxy-note-ii-its-not-you-its-me/

That's the problem with convergence devices is they don't do the job of either device well enough. A phablet can't replace a small phone because it's not manageable in every scenario and it can't replace a tablet because it's too small.

A 5.5" iPhone would sell a fraction of the units of the 5C and be considered a failure so why bother? They can always discontinue it once they find this out of course.

I agree with everything you say.

I would only add that, in a sense, the iPad is the ultimate convergence device. But the phablet and the laplet (ie Surface) are both trying to combine the tablet with another form-factor and failing, in my opinion.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #21 of 28

 

Absolutely disgusting. They explicitly say that it’s too big and then make excuses for it?! YOU, the CONSUMER, are for whom THEY are to make excuses! And then products you could actually want or use! These people are insane.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's the problem with convergence devices is they don't do the job of either device well enough. A phablet can't replace a small phone because it's not manageable in every scenario and it can't replace a tablet because it's too small.

I fully agree. So did Steve BTW. And while some think this isn't an issue, they are simply people with lower standards, if you will. And while that's totally fine, whatever you prefer you buy, but the experience is indeed how you describe it.

That is why I like the size of the iPhone, and have an iPad for exactly that usage. I sure hope they'll release a new 4" iPhone alongside those rumoured larger ones.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I fully agree. So did Steve BTW. And while some think this isn't an issue, they are simply people with lower standards, if you will. And while that's totally fine, whatever you prefer you buy, but the experience is indeed how you describe it.

That is why I like the size of the iPhone, and have an iPad for exactly that usage. I sure hope they'll release a new 4" iPhone alongside those rumoured larger ones.

There won't be a 4" iPhone 6, because with reduced bezel the 4.7" should only be a quarter inch wider and longer than the old 4" model.
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post


There won't be a 4" iPhone 6, because with reduced bezel the 4.7" should only be a quarter inch wider and longer than the old 4" model.

If that turns out to be true I won't get a new iPhone but simply buy a cheap 2nd hand 5s. And after it dies I'll get another 5s. Personally I preferred the 3.5" models, because it should remain a phone, not some useless tablet.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If that turns out to be true I won't get a new iPhone but simply buy a cheap 2nd hand 5s. And after it dies I'll get another 5s. Personally I preferred the 3.5" models, because it should remain a phone, not some useless tablet.

I'm not seeing how getting more screen in essentially the same size chassis is a bad thing. It will be no different to use as a phone than the 5S.

Not that phones are just phones anymore anyway, in fact they are rarely used as phones. For all the stuff you actually use a smart device for - Web browsing, email, social media, controlling automated home systems, games, etc - the larger screen is just better. And with this revised chassis, you get all that without appreciably increasing the size of the device. That is all upside.
post #26 of 28
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post
I'm not seeing how getting more screen in essentially the same size chassis is a bad thing.

 

Because it isn’t. It’s taller.

 
Not that phones are just phones anymore anyway...

 

This is the only thing people ever say, and it isn’t an argument...

 

I’m actually fine with a 4.7”, but I’m on the upper end of the hand spectrum. You’d have to be a basketball player to be able to use anything larger.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 28
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

I'm not seeing how getting more screen in essentially the same size chassis is a bad thing. It will be no different to use as a phone than the 5S.
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Because it isn’t. It’s taller.

 

By a margin of 0.25 to 0.50 inches at most. That's just a hair over 1 centimeter longer at most. That's really not appreciably longer. The width will be increased by even less than that. Your ability to hold it in your pocket or hand will not be affected whatsoever unless you're the size of a typical 8 year old.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

By a margin of 0.25 to 0.50 inches at most. That's just a hair over 1 centimeter longer at most. That's really not appreciably longer. The width will be increased by even less than that. Your ability to hold it in your pocket or hand will not be affected whatsoever unless you're the size of a typical 8 year old.

If the new iPhone is 1 cm taller I won't be getting it. Yes, it's that big of a deal for me.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumored circular True Tone flash for 4.7" and 5.5" 'iPhone 6' detailed in new photos
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumored circular True Tone flash for 4.7" and 5.5" 'iPhone 6' detailed in new photos