or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u]

LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

LG's watch looks nice - nicer than the Moto 360. The Samsung watch is ... *yurrrg*

Is that a camera on the back face? WTF are they thinking?
LG watch looks nice in this render because it's displaying an analog watch face. But how will it look when displaying the weather, a notification, maps etc.? That outer band (which appears to be where the display drivers are hidden) will look out of place.

I'm really hoping Apple doesn't go down this route if they want the device itself to display information outside of time/date. A round face that doesn't look big and stupid wouldn't be big enough to display useful information.
post #42 of 90

They both are vaporware! How many smart watches have both this firms announced in past year? Looks like they are not working out for them. Either way, I do hope whatever Apple announces as "iWatch" it better is a game changers, else this market it DOA.

post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

What?  TWO DAYS?  Hell, I can barely keep my iPhone charged, no way no how am I going to be charging other devices too. My kindle goes for weeks without a charge, and it still annoys me.  My conventional watch lasts a year on a battery, and even THAT is annoying.  This 2-day charge thing is going to be a GearS-KILLER.  Apple need not do anything.

Will be interesting to see how Apple has solved battery life as according to rumors last year that was a big issue:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4062448/apple-watch-will-run-ios-and-arrive-later-this-year-say-sources
Quote:
Interestingly, we're also told that Apple's chosen to rework the full iOS to run on the watch instead of building up the iPod nano's proprietary touch operating system — although the previous nano was already watch-sized and seemed like a great starting point for a wrist-sized device, Apple's betting on iOS across product lines.

That's apparently leading to battery life issues in development, according to our sources: the goal is to last at least 4-5 days between charges, but the current watch prototypes are apparently only going for a couple days max. We're also told Apple has some work to do with iOS on the iPhone, which currently has several hooks for supporting a watch-like device but lacks the appropriate interface or settings to make it work properly. The Pebble watch, for example, can receive notifications from third-party iOS apps with a slight hack, but it has to be redone every time the Bluetooth connection breaks.
post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would expect if Apple releases a smart watch they will explain to us all how it works...

The big hand is for hours and the little hand is for minutes, there, saved you the wait. ;)

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #45 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Idiotic and desperate duo.

If Apple was rumored to make a car, guess who would start making Korean cars too?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #46 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I would expect if Apple releases a smart watch they will explain to us all how it works...
The big hand is for hours and the little hand is for minutes, there, saved you the wait. 1wink.gif

Lol, yeah that reads stupid now.

These two just announced watches: it's just an image, a spec sheet and (from Samsung) the PR letter I pasted here.

Apple on the other hand (no pun intended) explains to us what it does, and why. Then everyone will have a revelation and going, 'yeah, obvious, that makes sense.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #47 of 90
I can't believe it.. first I wonder how Samsung (and others) would have marketed their phones if it wasn't for the iPhone... And what would they look like? And how would they work? Probably like crap.

Now I foresee the same thing happening with the so called smart watches. (I prefer to call them power bracelets 1smile.gif Does Apple have to come first, and set the standards, and then everyone will have to go back to the copy machine and "reinvent"?
These press images look like 50 years old already. It's like grandpa' watches. Not something that modestly snugs into place. It's like screaming LOOK AT MY ARM, THERE'S A SMART WATCH ON MY WRIST, LOOK AT IT DAMNIT! IT LOOKS VERY OLD AND STUPID, BUT I'LL CALL IT CLASSIC AND HOPE I'LL GET AWAY WITH IT.
post #48 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

LG's watch will be available for sale in Q4. How is that vaporware?

Did they happen to say which year's Q4 they have in mind?

Meanwhile: I see plastic is making a comeback in fashion accessories... NOT!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #49 of 90

Seriously...what the fck is Samsung doing? Desperate? That damn Gear S won't find any buyer except gimmick addicts. For god's sake, why would anyone even want a bare minimum phone with 3G connection? Navigation on a 2" screen? Samsung must be kidding. I run out words to say. This Gear S is another DOA. Gosh....

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #50 of 90

What is this, Samsung's 6th smartwatch already? Jesus Christ. Talk about a company that spams out products, dilutes technology, and takes absolutely zero pride or care in its work, while having utter contempt for consumers. No doubt they want to come out with every single shape and form factor possible before Apple shows their cards, so they can say they did it "first". These companies have learned nothing from all the industries that Apple dominated by doing it right. Keep shitting out products samsung, will only speed your descent into irrelevancy. 

post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What is this, Samsung's 6th smartwatch already?

I think #7:

post #52 of 90

In a related announcement ... the Island of Misfit Toys would like to announce its two newest members, brought to us from LG and Samsung.

post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) MagSage only works if it's just for power. If you need to sync via the same cable it's not feasible which is one reason we may never see a MagSafe Lightning cable.

2) I'd personally like it to see inductive charging if it's something that needs to be charged anymore than once a week under normal usage.

Inductive charging? Bleagh. Anything that requires direct placement on a clunky charging pad is not wireless and will appear idiotic in the very near future. Just think of what your desk or night table might look like if you had several devices, each with their own charging pad.

True wireless power will come in the form of NFMR. The charging device will be built into a PC or plugged into a wall and out of sight, and will be able to charge multiple devices (keyboard, mouse, trackpad, cell phone, tablet, wearable) within at least a few feet. Some of the devices will be able to act as repeaters to extend the range even further. Now this is something Steve Jobs could say works "like magic."

Edited by freediverx - 9/6/14 at 6:32am
post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

No.

I'm glad everything is so black and white in your little world.

post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

It does appear that LG and Samsung believe the iWatch announcement rumor to be credible. I kind of like the look of the Samsung one--probably because it looks like a shrunken iPhone 3G, molded to fit a wrist.

I don't think I'm really in the market for such a product. I like a watch to be a functional piece of jewelry. However, I look forward to seeing what Apple brings to market.

I think it would be HILARIOUS if Apple never releases a "smart watch" and has been hiring people to make it look like they will in order to focus on making the iPhone 6 the most awesome smart phone the world has ever seen while the competitors focus their efforts on releasing crap watch after crap watch and not on innovating their smart phones.  Probably not true, but funny to think about.

Alternatively, Apple's 'smart watch' could be a series of wearable sensors that all complement and communicate with the iPhone.  Maybe Apple has always believed that a wrist-worn smart phone would be too fad-like and will instead release sensors that are easy to attach to clothes (or wrists/ankles) that monitor our bodies for health and fitness, all working through HealthKit.  Hmm.  Even using kinetic energy charging as we walk or move our arms to recharge, so basically never need to manually charge them.  Nice thin devices that quickly and easily wrap around our ankles and wrists with health and motion sensors galore.

But, in the end, I still would like something on my wrist that I can glance at in meetings or during exercise to see calls, messages, time, weather, etc. without constantly digging my iPhone from my pocket...

post #56 of 90
Quote:

1) MagSage only works if it's just for power. If you need to sync via the same cable it's not feasible which is one reason we may never see a MagSafe Lightning cable.

2) I'd personally like it to see inductive charging if it's something that needs to be charged anymore than once a week under normal usage.

Synching using a cable? Who still does that? I wouldn't be that surprised if the only option for synching an iWatch is wirelessly.
post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Is that a camera on the back face? WTF are they thinking?

More likely a heart rate monitor.

post #58 of 90
Quote:

1) I certainly called it vapourware and questioned their ability to launch in the time they stated and with a round display.

2) It is vapourware because what they teased us with back in March is not the product they shipped. Back in March the display was a full circle — no flat tyre design — hence my comment about it actually materializing in some way that can be demoed.

That video, wow ... just wow! They copied Apple's video style in every minute detail. Right down to the editing style, music and English accented designer. Quite astonishing!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #59 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I actually really like the design of the LG watch. It looks like a traditional watch. When it comes to wearables, I prefer the traditional watch style compared to the crap Samsung is making. 

It may resemble a traditional watch, but it looks like a cheap one. Note how it features a (presumably) rotating bezel in the style of a diving watch. This betrays the watch's lack of authenticity since it's only submersible to 3 ft for short periods of time, and there aren't even any lugs to protect the crown against damage, as is common on similarly styled watches. And let's not even go into the silliness of measuring time with a rotating bezel on a wrist-mounted computer. In summary, this is precisely the sort of shallow, frivolous design that the Android market is known for.

post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Interestingly, the upcoming version takes cues from Motorola's Moto 360 that was announced alongside the original G Watch as one of the first devices to run Google's Android Wear operating system.

Aside from the format change, however, the G Watch R appears to be a repackaged version of the original G Watch model. Both run a 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset with 512MB of RAM, include 4GB of flash storage and come with interchangeable straps. The new version does feature a heart rate monitor built into the case back, as well as a physical power button that doubles as the watch's crown, much like the Moto 360.

LG's G Watch R is expected to see limited release in the fourth quarter, meaning it will face stiff competition from the likes of Motorola, Samsung and possibly Apple.

Samsung on Wednesday also announced a new smartwatch called the Gear S, which features a curved two-inch Super AMOLED display, heart rate sensor, turn-by-turn navigation via Nokia's HERE and two days of battery life. One of the more novel capabilities is 3G cellular connectivity, which supports both voice calling and data transfer when phone tethering is not available.

A report earlier today claimed Apple is planning to announce its own highly anticipated entry into the smartwatch segment at a special event on Sept. 9, which is also expected to feature the next-generation iPhone lineup.

Update: This story has been updated to include Samsung's latest Galaxy Gear entry that was also announced on Wednesday.

Moto has had engineers working on a "smartwatch" for quite a long time. A quote from an Engadget article over 6 years ago.
"Motorola has decided that monitoring vital signs via a Bluetooth headset and watch-like device combo and a new iteration of its S9 headset is where it's at. The headset -- and watch? -- will apparently gather data like heart rate, body temperature, and such, zap it to your headset and on to a server for further processing."
Related article here:
http://gizmodo.com/5016872/motorola-patents-biometric-and-touch-sensitive-bluetooth-headsets

Noted that Moto is announcing a new headset/earbud alongside the Moto 360 in a few days. IMHO they are still the one that other Android wearables will be compared to.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That video, wow ... just wow! They copied Apple's video style in every minute detail. Right down to the editing style, music and English accented designer. Quite astonishing!

I love how Android OEMs brag about the use of "metal" in their products, as if the mere switch from cheap plastic to cheap metal is anything to be proud of.

Contrast with Apple's presentation of "precision unibody enclosures milled from an extruded block of aluminum, allowing them to get even thinner while retaining rigid durability and a stronger, cleaner, and more polished design."

post #62 of 90
This really shows how scared they are of the Apple announcement. Apple has had a lot of time to get this right, here's hoping.
post #63 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Synching using a cable? Who still does that? I wouldn't be that surprised if the only option for synching an iWatch is wirelessly.

I still sync my Retina iPad mini and iPhone 5 with the Lightning cable. Why? Because Wi-Fi sync only works 50% of the time. Half of the time, it will work just fine. The other half of the time, it will start syncing within iTunes saying "Trying to find device" or something along those lines, then all of a sudden, the device I'm trying to sync with disappears from the devices list in iTunes and the sync fails. I've had this problem ever since Wi-Fi sync was was implemented and am still having the problem with Mavericks (latest beta, clean install).

My laptop normally sits at my desk in my study, and my iPad usually sits on my desk in the bedroom, plugged into the wall when I'm not using it. Even after switching out my TP-Link 802.11n router and moving to a current generation Airport Extreme, I still have the problem.

I've just resigned my to understand that Wi-Fi sync is broken and to not rely on it.

And it appears that I'm not the only one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/20gs7y/why_is_itunes_wifi_sync_a_piece_of_shit/

post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I actually really like the design of the LG watch. It looks like a traditional watch. When it comes to wearables, I prefer the traditional watch style compared to the crap Samsung is making. I can't wait to see what Apple has in store for us. I'm really curious to see if Apple is going to release a watch or some sort of band with a display. 

But if it's only a virtual watch face with virtual hands, isn't that just the much-maligned skeuomorphism that people gave Apple so much grief for?  Just wondering.

post #65 of 90
Quote:

2) Note the IP67 rating. That means it has been certified to work without issue for at least 30 minutes under 1 meter of water.

Sorry, but that's not very impressive when a $13 Casio is water resistant to 165 feet. A Casio model that's water resistant to 1 meter sells for $8.85 on Amazon.

post #66 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Moto has had engineers working on a "smartwatch" for quite a long time. 

No matter how long they'e been working on it, they won't have anything remotely desirable until Apple launches something for them to copy.

post #67 of 90
Quote:

It is vapourware because what they teased us with back in March is not the product they shipped. Back in March the display was a full circle — no flat tyre design — hence my comment about it actually materializing in some way that can be demoed.

I still think they did a decent job with the 360 despite having to fit the sensors into the bottom part of the display. The LG watch looks like a sports watch and the 360 looks like a smart dress watch. The LG is being advertised to launch at IFA, which starts September 5th so I'm sure they'll have a comparison between them.

Intel's been working on a small cellular chip, which would help watches have fast always-on connections so that maps and notifications are always available without the need for a phone:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/26/intel-reveals-worlds-smallest-wireless-modem-for-the-internet-of-things/
post #68 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

At least it looks watch-like! Motorola failed in that attempt.

How did Motorola fail? Because it doesn't have either a real or fake spinning watch dial? Im pretty sure you can find a regular watch without that.

post #69 of 90
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The big hand is for hours and the little hand is for minutes, there, saved you the wait. ;)

Gosh, Relic, is that right? Where's the user guide?  I can't find the manual.... 

Or did you mean the "big hand" which is the shorter one, and the "little hand" which is the longer one?

Kind of a bass-ackwards way of defining big & little!

post #70 of 90
Quote:

^ post

Just having a little fun. This site is filled with it. Just look at what ***** posts, never mind ************* (count them, it's the right number)
post #71 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Inductive charging? Bleagh. Anything that requires direct placement on a clunky charging pad is not wireless and will appear idiotic in the very near future. Just think of what your desk or night table might look like if you had several devices, each with their own charging pad.

True wireless power will come in the form of NFMR. The charging device will be built into a PC or plugged into a wall and out of site, and will be able to charge multiple devices (keyboard, mouse, trackpad, cell phone, tablet, wearable) within at least a few feet. Some of the devices will be able to act as repeaters to extend the range even further. Now this is something Steve Jobs could say works "like magic."

The charging pad may not need to be all that clunky. Back in the day when I wore a watch I never took it off but a lot of people do / did remove their's at night and so to place it on a charging pad on the night table would not be a big deal. For the people for whom an important function of an iWatch is to measure sleep patterns a night table charging pad would not be ideal, however. 

Is NFMR an existing technology?

post #72 of 90
It's a pisser watching Samsung try to guess what Apple is going to do!
post #73 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

It's a pisser watching Samsung try to guess what Apple is going to do!

It's a bigger pisser that anyone believes that.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #74 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The charging pad may not need to be all that clunky. Back in the day when I wore a watch I never took it off but a lot of people do / did remove their's at night and so to place it on a charging pad on the night table would not be a big deal. For the people for whom an important function of an iWatch is to measure sleep patterns a night table charging pad would not be ideal, however. 

Is NFMR an existing technology?

I don't think of wireless charging in terms of a single device. I think about its potential to eliminate charging cables and docks for various devices, where having multiple charging pads or one gigantic one is just silly. Even when discussing a single device like a phone I don't see a tangible benefit in a charging pad that takes up more space than the phone itself and which essentially requires contact between them. It's technology for its own sake without solving any real problems.

NFMR is not sci-fi; the physics behind the technology are proven. I'm not aware of any commercially available products yet but Apple has several patents on it. I think a wearable product begs for this type of solution and its introduction would be the perfect time to add it across Apple's entire product line.

Just imagine the shockwave from Apple's transition of Macs, MacBooks, keyboards, mice, trackpads, iPhones, iPads, and iPods to real (invisible) wireless charging. The entire mobile and PC industry would seem instantly outdated. Meanwhile, it would take competitors months to implement similar solutions within their own product lines, and those solutions would not work across brands due to lack of a standard. Meanwhile, drafting and ratifying a wireless charging standard would take years. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/08/apple-granted-a-major-magnetic-resonance-power-system-patent.html

Edited by freediverx - 8/28/14 at 10:46am
post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I think that the hardest thing that Apple is going to have is that as a fashion item, it's not great if the watch is ubiquitous. This is where I think that Android will actually do well, if they can convince experienced watch makers end up using Android Wear to release their own smart watches.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) Apple does. Still kind of think this wearables thing is a fad.

Agree.  Can't imagine people around you are wearing the same watch style, like company issued uniform.  iphone is different because there are so many different cases on the market.   Apple should have 10-15 different styles to choose from.  I guess by 9/9 we'll find out.

post #76 of 90

Right on cue.  Kind of expect these now - all part of the customary preliminaries for the Apple events.

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #77 of 90
Yawn....zzzzz
post #78 of 90
Quote:

What?  TWO DAYS?  Hell, I can barely keep my iPhone charged, no way no how am I going to be charging other devices too. My kindle goes for weeks without a charge, and it still annoys me.  My conventional watch lasts a year on a battery, and even THAT is annoying.  This 2-day charge thing is going to be a GearS-KILLER.  Apple need not do anything.

OK, so when will the first Samsung wall-hugger ad hit? I can see people with their arms up by the Samsung USB chargers in the airport. ;-)

post #79 of 90
Quote:

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

I think it would be HILARIOUS if Apple never releases a "smart watch" and has been hiring people to make it look like they will in order to focus on making the iPhone 6 the most awesome smart phone the world has ever seen while the competitors focus their efforts on releasing crap watch after crap watch and not on innovating their smart phones.  Probably not true, but funny to think about.

Alternatively, Apple's 'smart watch' could be a series of wearable sensors that all complement and communicate with the iPhone.  Maybe Apple has always believed that a wrist-worn smart phone would be too fad-like and will instead release sensors that are easy to attach to clothes (or wrists/ankles) that monitor our bodies for health and fitness, all working through HealthKit.  Hmm.  Even using kinetic energy charging as we walk or move our arms to recharge, so basically never need to manually charge them.  Nice thin devices that quickly and easily wrap around our ankles and wrists with health and motion sensors galore.

But, in the end, I still would like something on my wrist that I can glance at in meetings or during exercise to see calls, messages, time, weather, etc. without constantly digging my iPhone from my pocket...

Yes, I think the whole "watch" focus is misleading and would anticipate Apple to show a re-imagining of the product space, maybe from a "body-centered network" perspective, of which traditional wristwatches and even more recent smartwatches are just a few points in the continuum.

I've worn a watch for decades and don't like having to pull out my phone just to see the time, but I'm not yet sold on the need for anything beyond the timepiece and digital timer I have in my Timex.  I look forward to that fun sensation of learning that Apple has invented a solution to fill a gap I'm not even aware of.  I don't think all this will prove to be a massive head-fake, that would be fun too.

post #80 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I think that the hardest thing that Apple is going to have is that as a fashion item, it's not great if the watch is ubiquitous. This is where I think that Android will actually do well, if they can convince experienced watch makers end up using Android Wear to release their own smart watches.

Not really.

Apple has what few others (and definitely not the Android set) have—great, unique, and highly usable technology.

Products that work and look like Apple's transcend mere fashion, and always have.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u]